Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
90s TV belongs on DVD. I don't want movie-level detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TheScott2K posted:

90s TV belongs on DVD. I don't want movie-level detail.
I could do without the DVD interlacing that makes everything fuzzy and ugmo.

Why is it so loving hard to translate something to the right ratio and coloring. I dont need the top of people's heads cut off so it fills my drat screen.

Iron Crowned posted:

It's because they don't care, it's a quick cash grab done by the lowest bidder.
That's crazy because all we hear is how horribly expensive and what a pain it is to get disc releases done in the first place.

Well no poo poo I'm not going to buy your bullshit if I can literally see cuecards and the crew faffing about.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 27, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

I was hoping we'd see the end of that garbage because there are widescreen tvs now but I underestimated people's resistance to knowing how things work.

For some unknown reason certain sub-channels here in Cincinnati are broadcasting 4:3 programs stretched to fit 16:9, thankfully I'm north enough to get the Dayton channels, which are properly pillar boxed.

FilthyImp posted:

Why is it so loving hard to translate something to the right ratio and coloring. I dont need the top of people's heads cut off so it fills my drat screen.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

For some unknown reason certain sub-channels here in Cincinnati are broadcasting 4:3 programs stretched to fit 16:9, thankfully I'm north enough to get the Dayton channels, which are properly pillar boxed.

A subchannel here has a 16x9 signal with 4x3 content pillarboxed, but the signal is sent out as 4x3. So everything is horizontally squeezed and 4x3 content is shaped like a vertical cell phone video.

I emailed the station engineer with JPEGs but he thinks I'm nuts.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I will never forget the first time I watched Clue in HD and realised that at that level of detail you can see Madeleine Kahn's freckles under the makeup that was just pale white in the DVD.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just wait til you watch Batman '66

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

feedmyleg posted:

Just wait til you watch Batman '66
There's a lot going on in those bat-shorts, chum. :randstare:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The doctor in The Thing has a nose ring. The power of HD is astonishing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Iron Crowned posted:

A few days ago I went to watch First Reformed which was a DVD because Redbox and I discovered that the living room tv in my house can't display a DVD in the 4:3/Academy ratio. Thankfully it doesn't have this problem with blu-rays. It has something to do with some automatic setting that I can't change for some reason.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

If you missed the Phantasm collection two years ago, good news they are re releasing it with expanded features, new 4K remaster of Phantasm 2 supervised by Don Coscarelli and THE BALL. Should be here by Halloween.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Liar Lyre posted:

If you missed the Phantasm collection two years ago, good news they are re releasing it with expanded features, new 4K remaster of Phantasm 2 supervised by Don Coscarelli and THE BALL. Should be here by Halloween.

Well thank the lord for that. I was looking to buy the collection after finally seeing (most of) the series through Joe Bob's Last Drive-In but it was out of print due to that whole Phantasm 2 rights issue, and the prices for the sets are all over the place. Some assholes are even trying to sell the Phantasm 2 blu on its own for like $70.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

King Vidiot posted:

Well thank the lord for that. I was looking to buy the collection after finally seeing (most of) the series through Joe Bob's Last Drive-In but it was out of print due to that whole Phantasm 2 rights issue, and the prices for the sets are all over the place. Some assholes are even trying to sell the Phantasm 2 blu on its own for like $70.

I managed to find a copy for $20. If you really want just that one, I’m willing to part with it once this box set comes out. Though honestly, they’ll probably just release the new remaster individually like they did with all the others.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Arrow is handling the UK blu-ray release of Lords of Chaos, and have put on an early-bird discount of £12.50.

And here's their June releases

https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1111648220927717376

They're also getting around to vol 2 of the American Horror Project, featuring Dream No Evil, The Child and Dark August.

The US releases are being handled by DiabolikDVD, for the Yanks in here that ask about Arrow's availability in the US.

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
So the Canuxploitation classic Def-Con 4 isn't being released in Canada? Makes sense.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Finally got my Warner Archive and Shout Select sale orders in today.

Some quick opinions from skimming discs...

The Thing From Another World - WOW. I had the old DVD from 2001 and while it was good, it was still murky. The few bits I sampled look fantastic, especially the opening credits which are now from a full 1.37:1 source instead of the re-release dupe re-formatted to 1.85:1. The deleted footage (taken out of the re-release) looks a little more contrasty, but I'm actually surprised how detailed and clean everything is. Only wish this had some extras - I'm surprised this ended up as a Warner Archive release since both Criterion and Shout! Factory would have loaded this up with supplements. In fact, a UK edition had a John Carpenter track, which would have been nice here.

The 'burbs - I almost got the UK Arrow edition for apparently better PQ, but this looks fantastic for the most part. Opticals are grainier and darker, but this looks pretty much like a pristine 35mm print. Glad I went with this.

Cabaret - This was originally released as a digipak, but now it's in plain case packaging. Another fantastic Warner 4K restoration. Sadly, the camera negative was lost at some point and they had to use a color reversal intermediate. Thankfully, the photographic quality is absolutely stunning, but apparently it had some considerable damage. You'd never know by how pristine this looks, all while keeping its smoky atmosphere.

MachineryNoise posted:

So the Canuxploitation classic Def-Con 4 isn't being released in Canada? Makes sense.

They just didn't get the US/Canada rights like a lot of their titles.

Which just means that Shout! Factory probably has it.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 29, 2019

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino just announced Powell & Pressburger's The Wild Heart/Gone to Earth for June 25!

Gone to Earth, the original 1950 UK version, will be from a newly remastered 2K transfer from the BFI restoration while The Wild Heart, the 1952 US release version, is a new 4K restoration of the roadshow cut. Both cuts will have commentaries, plus a gallery for other Selznick International trailers.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I WANT THIS
https://twitter.com/maxevry/status/1112740115279953920?s=21

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The 90's Batman movies are coming to 4k with some pretty lame covers!
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Batman-4K-Blu-ray/230456/

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Teenage Fansub posted:

The 90's Batman movies are coming to 4k with some pretty lame covers!
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Batman-4K-Blu-ray/230456/

I'm hoping for a full set that at least comes with a slip cover for those, but whatever, regardless I'm gonna be buying them. Those movies seem like great candidates for the 4k treatment.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Those movies, with the exception of Batman and Robin, have really good one-sheet posters. Pity.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

TheScott2K posted:

Those movies, with the exception of Batman and Robin, have really good one-sheet posters. Pity.

I really hate the recent marketing push to make these movies and the Adam West film look modern and serious. Embrace the camp, you cowards! :argh:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really hate the recent marketing push to make these movies and the Adam West film look modern and serious. Embrace the camp, you cowards! :argh:

I find the Schumachers more enjoyable than the Burtons nowadays.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Or why not use the original covers, which were just fine. It's not like a "modernized" cover is going to convince a rando to buy it sight unseen.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Why do they have all the villains except Uma Thurman?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think what really irks me about those covers is just how white they are, because that is certainly not the color most associated with Batman

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's not even what Gotham City looks like in any of those films. Batman and Robin's Gotham is basically Blade Runner's LA.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Those movies deserve those covers in my opinion.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ineffiable posted:

Those movies deserve those covers in my opinion.

You had to be there

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Give me Batman Returns and throw the rest into a bonfire for all I care.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Burton movies had camp, but it was dark camp. Then Middle America got scared and I don't know what Schumacher was going for.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

...was this even good? I saw it once and I remember it absolutely ping-ponging between effective waking nightmare and the shittiest trash that ever did garbage.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

caligulamprey posted:

...was this even good? I saw it once and I remember it absolutely ping-ponging between effective waking nightmare and the shittiest trash that ever did garbage.

It has it's moments that are good, but it's bloated and boring as hell for long stretches too. It's like 2hrs long and needed to be 20 minutes shorter.

For video game adaptations you could do a lot worse though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

It has it's moments that are good, but it's bloated and boring as hell for long stretches too. It's like 2hrs long and needed to be 20 minutes shorter.

For video game adaptations you could do a lot worse though.

I fell asleep watching it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I fell asleep watching it

Me too, actually. The first 30 minutes really had me engaged and then something happens around the midway point that just puts me right to sleep. It just loses steam. I rewatched it a few years later just because I wanted to see it all the way to the end.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Me too, actually. The first 30 minutes really had me engaged and then something happens around the midway point that just puts me right to sleep. It just loses steam. I rewatched it a few years later just because I wanted to see it all the way to the end.

Silent Hill 2 though, woof, I fell asleep about 10 minutes in to that one

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It could have been a lot better, but I think it's one of the stronger video game movie adaptations.

That said, watch that old PBS documentary on Centralia Pennsylvania. It's much more haunting.
https://youtu.be/ow4UERykRbg

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

I don't know what Schumacher was going for.

He was definitely going for an amped up version of the 60's TV show and Batman comics of his childhood, and I think in some world with some different decisions, that hard swerve could've worked.
It's not an invalid approach.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Teenage Fansub posted:

He was definitely going for an amped up version of the 60's TV show and Batman comics of his childhood, and I think in some world with some different decisions, that hard swerve could've worked.
It's not an invalid approach.

I think it works just fine in Batman Forever, he just took it to another level in Batman & Robin and there's such a thing as too much.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

caligulamprey posted:

Where did this image come from? I can't find any edition with this cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

caligulamprey posted:

It's the best video game movie that's ever been made, and I thought it was pretty loving creepy throughout. The second one was for sure garbage though.