Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Wow, this book is spiteful.

help him up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Leraika posted:

help him up.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Leave him. Only by appeasing the death aura may we reclaim our own life.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Leraika posted:

help him up.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Leraika posted:

Yes, it is.

Leraika posted:

help him up.
Yes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Guy Fawkes posted:

help him up..

Grey Star the Wizard posted:

You expend a great amount of energy in attempting to move the heavy body of the dead Quoku. Within seconds, you fall paralysed to the ground: the poison that covers the Quoku’s warty skin is lethal. You will never know if Shan survived or not.

Death Count: 7.

Leraika posted:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

:allears:

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

That is incredible bullshit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You realize that there is no hope of Shan’s survival. You have lost a valued friend, and now you must continue your journey alone. You pick your weary way around the ravine and press on towards the Shenwu Falls.

Burdened with grief, you stumble like a blind man, trailing Shan’s backpack on the ground behind you like a dog on a leash. You stagger into the deepening shadows and welcome the inky darkness of nightfall. You are now friendless and alone in a barren wasteland.

Half dazed with fatigue, you stumble in the darkness and fall headlong down a slope of loose shale, finally coming to rest at the bottom. (You lose 1 ENDURANCE point in your fall.)¹

You are in a wide, shallow basin, on the banks of Lake Shenwu, and you peer around, straining your eyes to see in the darkness of the night.

The lake is very wide. The roar from the Shenwu Falls is deafening. The waters fall hundreds of feet before cascading into the swirling currents below. Beyond the area of the waterfall the lake is strangely still. A writhing mist hangs suspended in the air. The mist is strangely luminous and allows you to see the foul yellow water beneath. Around the edge of the lake, the ground is completely bare; you cannot see a single living thing. You empty Shan’s Backpack and discover the following items:
  • Enough food for 3 Meals
  • Small Vial of Laumspur (restores 2 ENDURANCE points)
  • 2 Torches
  • Coil of Rope
  • Tinderbox
If you wish to keep any of these items, mark them on your Action Chart.

The mist gives off an acrid, choking vapour that racks your lungs. Coughing, you survey the sheer cliffs, towering ramparts of stone that stretch to the east and west in a vast semicircle. Directly above these cliffs is the Azanam, your final goal.
  1. Our backpack is full of Meals but we can replace any number of them with the Torches, Rope and Tinderbox if we like. We could also take the Laumspur but since we're ignoring our Endurance points now there's no real point.
  2. Do we want to swallow a Tarama Seed and use Prophecy, explore around the lake, or try to climb the cliffs?

¹ You only lose this Endurance point if you're already on less than 10 EP - just punishing you for already doing badly.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Check around the lake for more loot.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

achtungnight posted:

And take a torch, the tinderbox and the rope.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
i guess we don't need the food either if we're just pretending we have infinite EP.

take the rope and all the other non-edible backpack items

we'll need that rope to climb

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Leraika posted:

Lone Wolf's Grey Star's aura of companion death strikes again at least! Not everyone is Banedon Tanith!
Also

nelson posted:

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 4, 2019

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

achtungnight posted:

Though I daresay we're going to get our lungs eaten out by the mist. Seriously, book. gently caress you.

nelson posted:

And take both torches, the tinderbox and the rope.

Because there's a more than zero chance this book'll try and gently caress us over for only having one.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Toplowtech posted:

The waters of Lake Shenwu give off a foul stench. The heady vapours of this strange, yellow lake are thick and cloying. Your lungs feel tight and your breathing is laboured.

You come across the remains of a creature you do not recognize. Its bones have been stripped bare, how you cannot guess, for there is no sign of life. Your head feels heavy and your vision is blurring. You lose 1 ENDURANCE point.
Shall we keep exploring around the lake or attempt to climb the cliff?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I think we’re done here. Climb the cliff.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Heed the warnings and climb.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

gently caress you, gamebook. you're not the boss of me. keep looking.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tiggum posted:

Shall we keep exploring around the lake or attempt to climb the cliff?

Called it. Let's climb the cliff (and no doubt fall to a splattery death).

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

nelson posted:

I think we’re done here. Climb the cliff.

This! it would be nice, at the end, an examination to value why it went so badly. Did we make the worst choices of all? Because, I remember that was hard but not THAT hard...

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Wanna see another hilarious death, so keep looking.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Mikl posted:

Wanna see another hilarious death, so keep looking.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

Called it. Let's climb the cliff (and no doubt fall to a splattery death).

Standing at the foot of the towering cliffs, you look up. The cliffs are smooth and sheer; there seems no way of climbing them. The curling wisps of mist from Lake Shenwu swirl below, and you move across the scree at the base of the Azakawa Wall, searching for a way up. Your head feels fuzzy and you lose 1 ENDURANCE point.

Suddenly you see a crack in the cliff a few feet above your head. It is a small niche, but is large enough to hide a man.
Shall we check out the crack or go back to exploring the lake?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Check out that crack. Save Grey Star’s back!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

achtungnight posted:

Check out that crack. Save Grey Star’s back!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

My, I wonder what this horrible book that hates us might be hiding in there? Will it kill us? Let's find out!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Clambering inexpertly upwards from the base of the cliff, you reach the small cave. You are exhausted. Your thoughts are becoming confused and it is difficult to think clearly. The stagnant odour of the mist above Lake Shenwu fills your eyes and mouth, and your senses rail against it. Inexplicably, you lose another ENDURANCE point and you feel your body weaken.

You pull your head above the lip of the cave and peer in. The interior of the tiny cave is rough-hewn and very small.
Shall we explore the cave or continue up the cliff?

"Inexplicably, you lose another ENDURANCE point"! :allears:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Explore the cave

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Loot the cave!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Let's hope we don't get a cave in.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Tiggum posted:

"Inexplicably, you lose another ENDURANCE point"! :allears:

Inexplicably?!
That's... the most bullshit thing I have ever seen. Do you think Dever just actively resented the players by this point?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Grey Star wasn't written by Dever, it just uses his setting.

I'm beginning to think this is like those people that make pointlessly hard Mega Man ROM hacks. The original games had horrible deathtraps, blind choices, and ridiculously wild balance swings? We'll have that even more!

Keep climbing. It's a toss-up on if we're still not safe from the fumes here and have to climb above them, or if we are safe and attempting to continue to climb will see us fall to our deaths due to exhaustion.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Grey Star wasn't written by Dever, it just uses his setting.

Huh - I never realized that...the US covers just had "By Ian Page and Joe Dever", so I assumed they were co-authors (the UK cover is similar "Page and Dever"). The Project Aon page gives credit to Joe Dever as editor.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm basing that statement off of Wikipedia, which says "Grey Star the Wizard is the first book in the World of Lone Wolf book series created by Joe Dever and written by Ian Page", and lists Page as author (with no mention of Dever at all) in the summary box.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Decoy Badger posted:

Loot the cave!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

I'm basing that statement off of Wikipedia, which says "Grey Star the Wizard is the first book in the World of Lone Wolf book series created by Joe Dever and written by Ian Page", and lists Page as author (with no mention of Dever at all) in the summary box.

In that case, based on all the deaths we've suffered recently- :argh: Page!

Explore the Cave. I think I remember from the last time I played this book about twelve years ago there might be a way out.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

In a sense, trying to follow the original, he went even further...

Cave.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

Loot the cave!

You crawl into the shelter of the tiny cave, scarcely large enough to contain you, and immediately notice a small tunnel leading upwards. The ghostly mist of Lake Shenwu lingers on the cave floor, dimly lighting the rough-hewn ceiling and walls.

You are tired and need to sleep.
Should we sleep here or enter the tunnel?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
That mist is still around, better not sleep yet! Down the tunnel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

achtungnight posted:

That mist is still around, better not sleep yet! Down the tunnel!