Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

I dunno. Couple hundred bucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Petr posted:

I dunno. Couple hundred bucks?
I'd probably say go with a decent used point and shoot. Not sure what country you're in but you should be able to find something a few generations old on ebay, which should do just fine.

I'm partial to Canons as they tend to be more photo- than video-oriented and have good color even on AWB settings. I'd lean towards Canon PowerShots (but check that it's a PowerShot with manual controls) or Panasonic LX series cameras; either of those should be relatively easy to find used at around $150-200.

Fuji and Sony make some good stuff too but I have no experience with their point & shoots so I can't comment on that.

Overall, you want to get a camera that has full manual control ability (or else you might as well just use your phone).

Odds are, you'll see a camera that looks like a good deal but won't know if it's good or not. There are tonnnsss of camera reviewers that you can check out though to see what they have to say. dpreview, thisweekinphoto, and thecamerastore are pretty good but yeah, there are lots of reviewers out there

The other thing you'll want is a tripod - you can probably get a basic one for free if you ask around or look somewhere like freecycle, or get a cheap one at a thrift store - since point and shoots are light, you won't need something particularly beefy. This will allow you to use exposure times of less than 1/60 sec. without worrying about camera shake.

Essentially, what you're trying to do is use a camera and tripod and set up your artwork so it's as perpendicular to your camera's direction of view as you can get; don't want to be taking a picture at an angle at all.

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 26, 2019

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
If you’re phone has a decent camera (anything Apple or Samsung in the last few years definitely) there are apps on both platforms that let you manually set shutter and aperture. Taking a good photo of an art is going to be more about the setup (aka good lighting) than the camera for anything short of print reproductions

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Thanks for the tips. I've got a Samsung Galaxy S7, so I'll try and find some apps with manual controls, though I've been thinking about investing in a camera to get decent reference photos anyway.

I tried to take another picture with some better lighting.

This is a sketch I did of a sunset over Clearwater beach. The horizon had clouds on it, which I tried to put in, but I think I ended up making it too muddy.

This is an exercise in monochrome that I did, with a chromatic black in the background that I tried to get a little fancy with. I like the haphazard look of the background brushwork, but the individual forks of the leaf are kind of indistinct in places. I have some Rapidograph pens, so I think I'll go in with green ink and try to make the distinctions clearer where they overlap.

And this is a church that I did with Copic markers. I have a very limited selection of colors in those, and they're expensive as hell, so I had to try some weird mixing on the paper to get it right. I focused on value over color, so some of the colors are pretty far off. The highlights and shadows on the clouds look particularly bad, but I'm happy with some other parts of it.

Are there any good exercises or tips to get better precision with watercolors? I realize they look pretty loose and amateurish. Is it just practice?

Petr fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 27, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Petr posted:

Are there any good exercises or tips to get better precision with watercolors? I realize they look pretty loose and amateurish. Is it just practice?

Practice and patience with the water and drying. Sometimes you just have to wait for everything you'd done to dry before moving on to the next layer. You can speed it up with a hair dryer, but I tend to let it dry naturally.

For even-ness, sometimes it's better to do a pre-wash on large areas, so they're already wet, and then add paint to it so it distributes evenly. Larger brushes also help for this, and then switch over to a smaller brush when actually adding paint.

You'll get sharper/more distinct edges if you use art masking fluid. This can be good for painting your background first, which will give it a nice even wash.

Edit: What do you use for a preliminary drawing? Sometimes it’s good to use a watercolor pencil for your first sketch, sometimes it’s better to use a 2H pencil and then erase it with an artgum eraser after your first layer.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 28, 2019

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

I have a fine art degree in painting and watercolors are just looked down of for dumbshit reasons.

The gallery art community is a loving cesspool of assholes (in my experience) and it killed my desire to make art for years.

Do you and do what makes you happy. There's something for everyone out there.

Where are you? What sort of galleries are you interacting with. My experience, in both massive metropolitan areas and small ruralish communities, is that any commercial gallery that deals in traditional/formalist art is more than happy to sell and show watercolours. If you're dealing with non-commercial galleries or some crazy high-end NYC commercial galleries than yeah, they won't touch anything like a watercolour.

I'm a sculptor, and also draw a bit, so I do get where you are coming from. Formalist work is sneered at in some circles, especially in some university programs, but that attitude is representative of about 1% of the actual real world gallery scene. I know plenty of artists that make a good living doing nothing but watercolours of flowers.

It sounds like you are painting again, so thats good. If you aren't selling you should totally find some other painters that are and ask where.

sigma 6 posted:

Gorgeous. I had to look really closely to see that it was actually a painting. Amazing work. A lot of people find this kind of realism boring. I think they are wrong. Most people who find realism boring either lack the skill or resent the skill it takes to make something so accurate with a paintbrush.

I really have a soft spot for realism, but I'd dial this a little back if I were you. You're kinda coming off as someone that's projecting some insecurity. Realism is valid and cool. Non-realist works are also valid and cool. When realist works are bad they are boring due to lack of creativity/intriguing content. When stylized/abstracted works are bad they seem uninspired because they lack skill or creativity. A lot of the best and most notable abstract painters/sculptors began their training as realists, skill is absolutely a solid foundation on which to build. I would agree that there are people out there that lack skill and are trying to cover it up.

I hope this doesn't offend, I'm not saying this is you, just how its coming off to me. I run into the skill oriented realism vs abstraction dichotomy a lot, and can't help but say something.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I like keeping the paint very wet and active, I get more variation out of it it think, and the lines (read: from differentiation) you define while you do it you have to define constantly so it makes them both stronger and looser. I i use goache mostly though and it has been a while since I used straight watercolor. But like with anything there's one million techs and ways to try it so go the hell crazy. with paint and so to speak.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Hello friends, it's been waaay too long since I did a painting. Trying to get back in the groove with some succulents:

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
New pen and ink evil wizard incantation:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Hello traditionalists! I've been living in the daily thread in a post-show stupor, here are a bunch of quick little 6x6 drawings I've been pumping out in prep for my next fair appearance. Working small and fast has been a fun way to detox, I highly recommend it

And just started carving again for the first time in a few months

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

dupersaurus posted:

Hello traditionalists! I've been living in the daily thread in a post-show stupor, here are a bunch of quick little 6x6 drawings I've been pumping out in prep for my next fair appearance. Working small and fast has been a fun way to detox, I highly recommend it

Good. 6x6 is fun size

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.

dupersaurus posted:

I absolutely love your art. It's my favorite thing in this thread (which is full of amazing art). It makes me want to go paint something immediately.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

CobwebMustardseed posted:

I absolutely love your art. It's my favorite thing in this thread (which is full of amazing art). It makes me want to go paint something immediately.

Thanks! Coincidentally my art is inspired by loving hating to paint.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Busted out the ol' acrylic paints.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Does anyone know why Gamblin stand oil is half the price of Winsor Newton? Is it lower quality? I 'm trying to mix a good glaze medium.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Pencil drawing of a bebbeh and a teh mommeh

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Virtual Russian posted:

I really have a soft spot for realism, but I'd dial this a little back if I were you. You're kinda coming off as someone that's projecting some insecurity. Realism is valid and cool. Non-realist works are also valid and cool. When realist works are bad they are boring due to lack of creativity/intriguing content. When stylized/abstracted works are bad they seem uninspired because they lack skill or creativity. A lot of the best and most notable abstract painters/sculptors began their training as realists, skill is absolutely a solid foundation on which to build. I would agree that there are people out there that lack skill and are trying to cover it up.

I hope this doesn't offend, I'm not saying this is you, just how its coming off to me. I run into the skill oriented realism vs abstraction dichotomy a lot, and can't help but say something.

This is a discussion which is academic but still interesting. Style over substance. Or rather... concept over execution or... maybe just the idea that style will eventually develop given enough practice? Or maybe just the idea that concept should trump "realism"? I don't think that people would accuse Banksy of being too realistic vs too stylistic. Although maybe just passe. Ideas trump style and style trumps realism? I feel like this poo poo is all relative. It is about what resonates with the audience.

Anyway here is a drawing. Cuz content.

(from ref)

With highlights.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 31, 2019

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Zoben posted:

Busted out the ol' acrylic paints.

Love this.

I work digitally 99% of the time but this is my first traditional work in years. Still a WIP.
The canvas

Day 1 progress

Day 2 progress

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Fair in a few weeks and getting laid off means it’s printing time!

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The painting is probably done, I might touch it up a bit. I'm going to add a second element to make it a bit more like an art installation.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

dupersaurus posted:

Fair in a few weeks and getting laid off means it’s printing time!

these are frekaing sweet

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Jack Daniels posted:

these are frekaing sweet

Thanks!

Finished printing another one

And screwed up alignment on another, so had to debug. Although now I think I’m changing my color scheme for them...

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Zoben posted:

Pencil drawing of a bebbeh and a teh mommeh

I appreciate how you render tone. I just ordered this Koh-i-noor clutch pencil and was immediately reminded how difficult creating effective mass with a pencil can be.

So I said "gently caress that!" and started what I assumed would be a b&w charcoal drawing that turned into a full-colour conté pencil portrait. My first free-hand non-grid system drawing in a long while. I can do that easier with charcoal because it's simpler to smudge around, put in place, erase, sculpt where it needs to be. Pencil and line doesn't offer that luxury.

Both done today, surprisingly.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Some of this is digital previews, but this is the follow up to my art installation adventure:
1- Curtain made from plastic tubes.
2- Flat perspective preview.
3- Color corrected BG. Originally I wanted to keep the colors of the tubes but I couldn't find enough of the ones I wanted so I'll probably paint it in blue.
4- What it should look like. I want to hang it on a rail so it can be moved around to get different compositions.

Unfortunately I won't be able to work on this for a few weeks.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.

CobwebMustardseed fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 20, 2020

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Using 3d to make imagery to laser engrave onto coasters. Sure. Why not?

Note: Only one of these is made from a zbrush model. The rest are 2d but my plan is to make more 3d / toon shaded renders into coasters.

Skoora
Sep 29, 2009

Skoora fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 19, 2019

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

More laser engraving.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Handen posted:

I appreciate how you render tone. I just ordered this Koh-i-noor clutch pencil and was immediately reminded how difficult creating effective mass with a pencil can be.

So I said "gently caress that!" and started what I assumed would be a b&w charcoal drawing that turned into a full-colour conté pencil portrait. My first free-hand non-grid system drawing in a long while. I can do that easier with charcoal because it's simpler to smudge around, put in place, erase, sculpt where it needs to be. Pencil and line doesn't offer that luxury.

Both done today, surprisingly.
Cool! I really dig the colors. I'm better with digital colors than I am with traditional. I generally do my work in ink first, scan it in, and color it in Photoshop. Kinda like comic book art.

For pencil stuff I don't do as much smudging as doing really fine cross-hatching. I think that for the super-realism people have to use a wide variety of pencils and blending stumps and whatnot, I just tend to use charcoal and a regular #2 pencil since the graphite thing isn't really my bag. Big respect for artist who can attain that amazing realism, more so if it's a well-composed still-life or something with more meaning than simply a copy of a huge eyeball photograph.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
More ink madness, commission for a band

Based on sacred geometry, Metatron's Cube to be exact

Colors to come next but I don't post them in this thread because I do digital coloring.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Wow, that's so cool! What size is the original?

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

lofi posted:

Wow, that's so cool! What size is the original?

Thanks! It's 18" x 18". Here's my fingers for size reference (plus a huge cat hair on my hand for good measure):

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That's all? I'd been guessing twice that, you've got some sweet details going on there. What's the plan with colors?

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

lofi posted:

That's all? I'd been guessing twice that, you've got some sweet details going on there. What's the plan with colors?

That's about all the larger that I go with drawings, although I did one which was 24" x 24". That took a while (see below). Colors, I have a general idea, but I have to figure out how to create a unifying theme and more focal points with all of the details going on. It's hard to envision sometimes because I have a tendency to get way too busy with the linework -- I always have to look at Mignola or similar artists to get back into a chiaroscuro groove, laying down the black.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Felt like painting again for the first time in forever. Just a little oil painting of snoqualmie falls

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That's a really nice water effect, it really feels like choppy water.

Zoben, please keep posting updates - I know you said you were planning digital colours, but I want to see it evolve! Also, what's the band? My guess is stoner rock, something like Bong Emperors of Alpha Centuri.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
edit: fukkin' wrong thread.

Fish Noise fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 30, 2019

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

lofi posted:

That's a really nice water effect, it really feels like choppy water.

Zoben, please keep posting updates - I know you said you were planning digital colours, but I want to see it evolve! Also, what's the band? My guess is stoner rock, something like Bong Emperors of Alpha Centuri.

Haha, yeah, almost all of my band commissions are stoner/doom. It's my favorite kind of music (one of the only other threads I post in on here is the stoner one in NMD) but I'd do art for any band really. This one is for Forming The Void, cool band from Louisiana. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLUvtkiaZFA

Speaking of bong emperors, you obviously know about the whole thing with bong band names (I'm from Madison, WI and know the fellas in Bongzilla): I found this lil gem which takes it to the Nth degree by playing one riff for like 80 minutes. "The Wizard of Bong Mountain."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzIe415YegE

Kierena
Oct 15, 2010
mixed media postcard I made for goonmail a month or so ago. Watercolor, ink and posca pens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Zoben posted:

More ink madness, commission for a band

Based on sacred geometry, Metatron's Cube to be exact

Colors to come next but I don't post them in this thread because I do digital coloring.

Woooooooowwwww..... nice work!