Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I see.

Anyway the greatest admiral in Starfleet is clearly Admiral Patrick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Kurtzman has been quite open about how they are trying to stay in plot continuity with TOS.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s less than a decade before Kirk, it’s close enough

The cart is in front of the horse, but it’s close enough

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

McNally posted:

Modern Trek poorly ripping off what previous Treks did is the Trekkest thing of all. I'm just glad it's not Wrath of Khan again.

Oh poo poo. The Botony Bay is floating out there somewhere during STD. How many seasons will it take until we get an episode where they find it, wake up some guys on it for a few hours of adventures, and then put them back to sleep by the end of the episode? You know it's inevitable.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This lady augment in this DS9 is played by friggin Divatox from Power Rangers.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I think Kirk is still supposed to be on Farragut at this point and I assume they won't make him captain at 25 again since Burnham is appropriately in her 30s.

Which means Farragut is absolutely showing up in S3

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Is... there anything that says that’s not possible? I’m trying to think of something in the first series of Trek that implies Kirk could never have run into these people.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sure it's possible, it just makes the setting feel small and artificial when it's just the same eight people constantly meeting and Being Protagonists. We've done Kirk and we've redone Kirk, do we need to redo redo Kirk? Is there nothing else to say in the 95% of the Milky Way that's unexplored in Star Trek?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
But when test footage was shown to potential viewers, one of them briefly looked up from their phone and said "Kirk? I know who that is!"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's a big part of what makes beta canon suck so bad.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

This lady augment in this DS9 is played by friggin Divatox from Power Rangers.

And it's rad as hell

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

That's a big part of what makes beta canon suck so bad.

hello, I had to look up what 'beta canon' was and now I'm going to not be sober for the rest of the evening

thanks pick

thanks

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Grand Fromage posted:

Season 2 is a lot better. The first half of the season was stronger, as it's gotten further into its extremely dumb story arc it's gotten worse. The first half has some genuinely good Star Trek in it.

I'm also concerned about season three since adding Pike was the best decision they've made so far, and he's going to be gone at the end of the season.

The common thread here I think is that this season looked like it was gong rock when they started leaning in the direction of one-off "planet of the week" episodes and 2-3 ep mini arcs. Then when they got bogged down in their main season arc it took a bit of a dive in peoples' eyes. I hope the lesson they walk away with next season is that episodic is better.

Seriously, how rad would it be for them to be doing old-school semi-anthology-style Trek again with modern production values?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Bloop posted:

Janeway banged Chakotay and Paris.

Granted that both situations had extenuating circumstances

Wait, when did her and Chakotay bang? :confused:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Bloop posted:

If you think the thread is fervently trying to get people to watch Discovery, you haven't been reading it very well

Now, TOS/TNG/DS9 is another story

I don't, but even the people watching it are like "yeah it's bad," and not even early TNG bad where it's hokey but charming, but actively sounds like it's distasteful and unpleasant to watch, which only corroborates my initial impression from the pilot.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

hello, I had to look up what 'beta canon' was and now I'm going to not be sober for the rest of the evening

thanks pick

thanks

"beta canon" is just the books and comics and other poo poo that's been published

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It feels odd that Zek would order Quark to save Ishka and not the legitimate military they haven’t acknowledged since TNG ended.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Tighclops posted:

thanks pick

It's basically just the non show tie-in stuff. Except the Disco books because Kurtzmann inexplicably wants his super special show's tie-ins to be alpha canon

quote:

Wait, when did her and Chakotay bang?

I'm pretty sure they had like one date that went nowhere

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nodosaur posted:

It feels odd that Zek would order Quark to save Ishka and not the legitimate military they haven’t acknowledged since TNG ended.

The way the Ferengi were depicted in TNG, it really seemed more like DaiMons were more like privateers or mostly-independent adventurers than part of an organized military hierarchy. Which fits the Ferengi pretty well.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Then why not the Liquidators? Or a squad of Nausicaans?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
He probably also wants it done on the dl so people don't realize too quickly that one of the reasons he's pushing all these reforms is that his most competent advisor is a :females:inist

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Also, Leck is the best Ferengi ever.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Also that episode makes me really wish Christopher Shea had more than extra parts in more stuff.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"beta canon" is just the books and comics and other poo poo that's been published

Speaking of which yeah the Grond one by Duane is still one of my favorites

I'm just mean because I get tired of everyone getting eight more books per character about how they're the most importantestest person ever

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Something something putting the coochie in Akoocheemoya

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

I know that but the fact that it's called thatis a aa arghhh

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Seriously, how rad would it be for them to be doing old-school semi-anthology-style Trek again with modern production values?

This is what ENT was doing before it got canned and I thought it was a good format

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Its called that because the big canon info wiki is called memory alpha, so all the side material is obviously memory beta

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

I know that but the fact that it's called thatis a aa arghhh

I could be wrong and maybe the term predates it, but I think it derives from how there's the "Memory Alpha" wiki that consists only of ~*canon*~ sources, and then there's "Memory Beta" which includes books/comics/video games.

...and then there's Memory Gamma :yayclod:

e:f,b

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

Speaking of which yeah the Grond one by Duane is still one of my favorites

I'm just mean because I get tired of everyone getting eight more books per character about how they're the most importantestest person ever

Have you read those Romulan books yet?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I also wish we had ENT with Mani Cotto in charge from the get go because that might have saved us from both Into Darkness and Disco.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The true outrage of all this is that the Trek / Green Lantern crossover isn't Alpha Canon.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

On Planet Bathtub, when they thought they were stranded there together forever

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

That poo poo costs money.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Have you read those Romulan books yet?

It's tax season :saddowns:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pick posted:

It's tax season :saddowns:

Pity, they're good.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

The true outrage of all this is that the Trek / Green Lantern crossover isn't Alpha Canon.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm working my way through DS9 myself (just started season 3), and although I really enjoyed Crossover, I kinda dread the Mirror Universe episodes to come. The concept became less effective and good with each return to that universe.

Nana Visitor said in an interview that she saw the Intendant less as bisexual than interested in "our" Kira because of ego. I like that interpretation much better than what we eventually got.

What.

How do you watch DS9 Mirror episodes and not get that the Intendent gets off on loving herself, not just some other woman?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Zesty posted:

What.

How do you watch DS9 Mirror episodes and not get that the Intendent gets off on loving herself, not just some other woman?

(season 7) She does kiss mirror Ezri too.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

guinan tilts her head back and forth while offering sagely advice

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

why the hell is starfleet intelligence sending the chief engineer of the most strategically important alpha quadrant station who's solely responsible for keeping said crucial position running on a deep undercover mission?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
O’Brien Must Suffer