Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Hibiki and Kanade actually recognized someone they knew was acting strangely, remembered they have an enemy that can shapeshift, and recognized the silver necklace that Siren always has even when she changes forms. They can be taught!

...and then they fall for the trap anyway. :v:

It may sound like I'm being harsh on Suite but I really am enjoying it a lot. Siren as Hummy playing with the soccer ball was extremely cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So I've been running through some of the Precure movies I skipped over initially and Doki Doki's actually has a pretty graphic scene (by this show's standards anyway) where Mana gets attacked by the film's antagonist and is visibly bleeding from the neck afterwards. It's effective but not exactly something I expected from this series.

Aguri just popping up out of nowhere near the end with no real explanation was kind of weird too (typically most movies are a little better at integrating the whole team). Though then again, I supposed delving into her memories might have given one of the show's major plot twists away a bit too soon (though then again, the fact that she specifically shows up in Makoto's memory is a pretty big hint in and of itself).

The obligatory Miracle Light segment may also be one of the the most blatant fourth wall breaks I've seen in this series (the scene literally stops so Aguri can turn and address the audience, even bringing up the fact that this is a movie).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 4, 2019

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Larryb posted:

The obligatory Miracle Light segment may also be one of the the most blatant fourth wall breaks I've seen in this series (the scene literally stops so Aguri can turn and address the audience, even bringing up the fact that this is a movie).

I love it whenever the show does this, it’s very kabuki.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Oh my god I just finished episode 21 and Siren IS A PRECURE WHAAAAT?! I went into this knowing that Ako was Cure Muse (even if that doesn't really make sense right now) but I had no clue that Cure Beat even existed let alone was freaking Siren!

Okay yeah this is series is really good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On Star Twinkle. Going by the preview. Galogre appears to be punishing his subordinates, and then what looks like a souped up Kappard appears. I am thinking the next episode maybe Kappard's last hurrah. Which I think would actually put him under Pisard for Precure villain attacks.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BattleCattle posted:

I love it whenever the show does this, it’s very kabuki.

Me too, it just felt especially blatant in that particular case. On the subject of Doki Doki, I forget but does Ace’s five minute time limit ever get fixed?

MonsterEnvy posted:

On Star Twinkle. Going by the preview. Galogre appears to be punishing his subordinates, and then what looks like a souped up Kappard appears. I am thinking the next episode maybe Kappard's last hurrah. Which I think would actually put him under Pisard for Precure villain attacks.

I’m not sure they’d kill off a general this early (though they did it for Pisard as you mentioned but that was way back in the first series) but we’ll see. It’s nice to see Galogre actually doing something as he is the current leader after all.

Barring some kind of cataclysmic event it seems obvious that all 12 pens will be recovered long before the end of the series so I’m curious whether we’re still going to get any more NoTriggers after that (I suppose they could come up with a new monster making method or at the very least introduce a new general with a transforming gimmick ala KiraKira).

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Kappard Will Be Redeemed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Me too, it just felt especially blatant in that particular case. On the subject of Doki Doki, I forget but does Ace’s five minute time limit ever get fixed?

I’m not sure they’d kill off a general this early (though they did it for Pisard as you mentioned but that was way back in the first series) but we’ll see. It’s nice to see Galogre actually doing something as he is the current leader after all.

Barring some kind of cataclysmic event it seems obvious that all 12 pens will be recovered long before the end of the series so I’m curious whether we’re still going to get any more NoTriggers after that (I suppose they could come up with a new monster making method or at the very least introduce a new general with a transforming gimmick ala KiraKira).

Because of this I decided to check all the series to see how long it took for the first general to go down.

Futari Wa: Pisard Episode 5.
Spash Star: Karehan Episode 7. (Moerumba goes down faster however. Only lasting five episodes, but he comes back later.)
Yes 5: Girinma Episode 24.
Yes 5 GoGo: Scorp Episode 11.
Fresh: Eas Episode 23
Heartcatch Sasorina episode 40.
Suite: Siren Episode 21.
Smile: All of them Episode 45.
Doki Doki!: Regina Episode 23 (Though she comes back.) Levia and Gula go for good in Episode 31.
Happiness Charge: Phantom Episode 41.
Go Princess: Close Episode 11 (He comes back much later) Lock goes down for good in episode 30.
Mahou Girls: Sparda Episode 15
Kira Kira: Julio Episode 22 (Though it's a bit weird as The Kirakiraru Thieves are the villains for the first ten episodes and he does not show up until 10.
HUGtto: Charaleet episode 11. (Though Daigan goes down the quickest lasting one episode 23 when he first tries to attack)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well not all of those mentioned actually die in said episodes (or at all in some cases), but yeah fair enough. Pisard still holds the record for the quickest defeat of a Precure villain I believe though (that doesn’t get redeemed or come back later that is).

So nevermind then, Kappard going down next episode is entirely within the realm of possibility.

And yes, it is kind of odd that KiraKira doesn’t actually get a proper villain (or a specific plot for that matter) until about 10 episodes in. While there were a lot of issues with that show the cast was good and the suit design of animal + dessert was a neat choice (whipped cream rabbit, flan squirrel, ice cream lion, cookie cat, chocolate fox and parfait unicorn).

On another note, it's been mentioned before but out of everything so far Doki Doki feels the most deserving of a sequel series/movie. They could do more with Regina and the Selfish Trio and possibly turn the former into a proper Cure (maybe call her Cure Joker or something to match her "sister"), explore how the girls are dealing with life now that their Precure identities are public knowledge, the growing relationship between Japan and the Trump Kingdom, etc. Hell, the ending of the series even sort of leaves itself open for a possible continuation.

Speaking of which, I'm also curious if a season where the girls just don't have secret identities (or at least they get revealed early on) could work.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 4, 2019

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Larryb posted:

yup.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

More words about Siren (and some about Mephisto!)

Siren losing her ability to turn back into a cat sucks. I think it would have been neat to keep that, but I guess that her retaining it would have made some things awkward considering where the last few episodes went. Hopefully she gets it back at some point because, well, she's not a human, so it'd be weird for her to be one the rest of her life. I really like that there was a bit of a struggle with her dealing with her actions while she was brainwashed, that it wasn't all just solved immediately. That she felt she didn't have the right to just go "Oh I'm good now, that's cool."

I'm also a big fan of how after Siren says "Don't call me by that name" Hibiki just calls her Ellen, for no reason, with no explanation, and Kanade just goes "Oh well guess that's her name now."

Now about Mephisto. I noticed this past episode that over his ears, he has the same "clam shell" things that he used to brainwash Siren and attempted to do the same to Hummy with. This would seem to indicate Mephisto himself is being brainwashed which is interesting. Especially since the Minor Trio don't have them. This doesn't mean the Minor Trio are inherently evil (Siren didn't always have them either, despite being brainwashed) but it would seem to indicate that Mephisto is in constant need of it, that his will is so strong that unlike Siren/the Minor Trio it can't just be a one or two time thing. Though it would be interesting if the Minor Trio were actually the real villains. I feel like I remember at least one anime or game or something where a seemingly weak henchman actually turned out to be a major villain in disguise. I would say Bladerun from Goseiger but he was never really portrayed as weak.

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, I'm also curious if a season where the girls just don't have secret identities (or at least they get revealed early on) could work.

Sentai seems to do this fairly often, Go-Onger literally had their team named on the side of their van as well as their roll call phrases on their jackets, the Kyurangers made it well known who they were all the time, and of course the Patrangers operated openly. To me, secret identities never really made much sense if the villains know the identities (such as Power Rangers, where Rita was well aware who the Rangers were out of suit). I guess it would prevent them from being mobbed as celebrities or something, but really it always seemed like secret identities were so the villains couldn't just go to your house and attack your family or something, and in fact there would be a lot of benefits to making your identity open too, such as not having to worry about people finding out the secret, or just being able to transform openly without needing to find a place to hide, or just being able to stand up in class and say "Yo there's a monster attacking I need to go take care of it."

I'd be interested in seeing it done in Precure, though I guess they did to an extent in Doki Doki like you said. Heartcatch kind of did it, although given that Kaoruko was a Precure herself years before I guess that doesn't totally count. It does kind of feel like secret identities is the kind of cliche the series would be pretty hesitant to give up, since "wacky misunderstanding involving them trying to keep their identity secret" seems to be a pretty common form of humor in a show like this.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doki Doki only revealed their identities near the very end of the series (as did Fresh and Go Princess). I’m curious if a Precure team that was part of some official organization like Sentai does on occasion could work as in that case it would basically just be their day job (no different than being an idol or something like that) and as such there would be much less need for secrecy. Of course you’d still probably have to have some kind of fairy involvement or otherwise they wouldn’t really be “magical” girls anymore.

The secret identity thing does sort of make sense though as most Cures are literal children who have other responsibilities beyond being superheroes (and in some cases were already minor celebrities even before that) so this gives the girls a chance to still lead a (relatively) normal life when not in combat (these are essentially child soldiers after all). Of course, as you mentioned their enemies typically know exactly who they are and where they live anyway but that’s an issue with most Japanese hero shows and usually doesn’t matter as much as it probably should. But yeah, I agree that ditching that aspect would probably make some things a bit more convenient for the protagonists.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 4, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So I've been rewatching The Suite Life of Hibiki and Kanade lately and I'd forgotten just how annoying the constant infighting between the two main Cures can get (it seems to be the focus of almost every episode so far), that goes away eventually right? Sailor Moon Cat is still good though (seriously, I like how almost nothing ever phases Hummy).

Speaking of which, it's kind of a pity that Siren lost her shapeshifting abilities after becoming a Precure (that I can remember anyway), it seems like that could have been useful at times.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

Doki Doki only revealed their identities near the very end of the series (as did Fresh and Go Princess). I’m curious if a Precure team that was part of some official organization like Sentai does on occasion could work as in that case it would basically just be their day job (no different than being an idol or something like that) and as such there would be much less need for secrecy. Of course you’d still probably have to have some kind of fairy involvement or otherwise they wouldn’t really be “magical” girls anymore.
That seems like more of a latenight magical girl thing? Nanoha and Symphogear would be the two examples that come to mind of shows that have the girls just be part of an actual organization. There's some interesting stuff you can do with that writing-wise, like having the organization want one thing and the girl want another, or internal conflicts where one of the girls has always been part of the organization while the others are new recruits, or the bureaucracy involved in recruiting former villains, but at the same time I get why precure (and other kid-aimed magical girl shows) don't go there. If the intent is to be a power fantasy for young girls, then having them still answering to a masculine-coded (and oftenly just straight up a grown-rear end dude) authority figure would kind of run against that.

It's the same reason why every adult male authority figure in these shows (Harry, Puruns, Tart, etc) is a goofy animal from another world. He can push the girls along and give the show some structure and take care of things that make more sense for an adult to handle, but still be written off as just a cute friend with no actual power over the girls physically or socially.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair, though the leader of said organization doesn’t necessarily have to be a man and like I said you’d still probably have to have a fairy in there somewhere. Though the idea of human made Cure powers is an interesting one, not for a whole team of course but maybe it could work for a midseason addition (in other words, more of a Technological Girl than a Magic one).

I’d still kind of like to see a season that just ditched the whole secret identity trope entirely (or at least, had the team get revealed to the public early on) just to see how that would work.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 6, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Even if you did what Nanoha does (have the TSAB higher ranks be mostly woman) I still think kids don't want to see kids follow orders in their fantasy given they have to do it pretty much all the time at home and at school.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True enough I suppose, and the fairies typically serve more as mentor figures rather than actual leaders, though some of them aren't very good at it (Tart). Also, I'm sure you could find some other way to do a Precure team with public identities without them being part of some kind of government organization.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This is just yet another thing that exemplifies why Blue was such a terrible character.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

This is just yet another thing that exemplifies why Blue was such a terrible character.

Yeah, in a sense he's just as much to blame for the whole mess as Red and Mirage are but I don't think he's ever actually called out on his bullshit (though that's just one of the many problems I have with the character). In fact you could argue that Blue (somewhat inadvertently) is the one who set the whole thing into motion to begin with.

The thing about HaCha is that the concept itself isn't that bad and it has one of the more unique battle systems in the franchise (hell, even the first handful of episodes are decent enough), but then you start getting things like pointless love triangles, Yuko barely being a character, Hime's entire motivation for becoming a Cure being reduced to a snapshot near the end, the final battle, etc. They could have done a bit more with Iona's sister as well (aside from her brief stint as part of the Phantom Empire we only get to see her fight like three times in the whole series and one of those was a flashback).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 6, 2019

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

So I've been rewatching The Suite Life of Hibiki and Kanade lately and I'd forgotten just how annoying the constant infighting between the two main Cures can get (it seems to be the focus of almost every episode so far), that goes away eventually right?

It mostly goes away around episode...13 or so? After that they still fight but it never leads to "Well we're done as a team!" or the enemies trying to use them fighting as a plan to defeat them.

quote:

Speaking of which, it's kind of a pity that Siren lost her shapeshifting abilities after becoming a Precure (that I can remember anyway), it seems like that could have been useful at times.

It sucks and I wish it hadn't happened but I sort of understand why they did it, when she was confused about what was going on and how she felt it would've been real easy for her to hide as a cat, or just shapeshift into someone else so Hibiki/Kanade/Hummy couldn't find her and nothing would have been resolved.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good, it just kind of gets old after a while when our two heroines spend about as much time fighting with each other as they do fighting their enemies.

That said, I still like Suite well enough. Ako/Cure Muse is probably my second favorite Yellow after Kirara (though Urara, Yayoi, Itsuki, and Homare are good as well) and Hibiki is probably my 4th favorite Pink after Saki, Mana and Haruka respectively (best Blues in my opinion are Erika, Miki and Aoi). As I mentioned, Usagi the Cat (Hummy) is great too.

I’m holding off any final rankings until Star Twinkle is finished but Hikaru, Lala and Elena are also in the running for being one of my favorite Pinks, Greens, and Yellows respectively.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hummy was the best fairy alongside Tarte until Mofurun existed

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Coupe is still the best fairy even if he spends 99% of the series standing around doing nothing.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

“Is Mofurun a fairy?”

I was about to ask that question. Could you believe the gall? What a foolish clown I am.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BattleCattle posted:

“Is Mofurun a fairy?”

I was about to ask that question. Could you believe the gall? What a foolish clown I am.

Technically she’s just an ordinary teddy bear that got enchanted by magic but she does serve a similar role and is necessary for Mirai and Riko’s transformation so I’d say she’s close enough. Maho Girls did get a proper fairy character later on but she wound up becoming the midseason Cure for that series.

More recently I’m kind of partial to Harry and Prunce as well (Mepple from the original series is also good).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

listen, Prunce isn't technically a fairy either, but you know he's gonna be lumped in with them when the next crossover happens

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

anyway

third place ain't too bad

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Nodosaur posted:

anyway

third place ain't too bad

I’d put him first. Boy saved two worlds with one donut!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tarte is a terrible mentor to be fair (he causes more problems than he solves, especially early on) but I still really like him as a character (and as mentioned above he did kind of help save the multiverse by the end).

Fun Fact: he’s voiced by the same guy who played Wisdom in Futari Wa/Max Heart.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 7, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Sooo just watched the latest Star Twinkle. It's uh, kind of dark. The girls lose a fight pretty badly, watch a pen blackened in front of their eyes due to their failure, and then they land their spaceship pretty much right in front of Madoka's dad and the alien hunters.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, poo poo just got real. They don't get the other pen back from Iwan either and I can't think of any other time a Precure team got beat so badly they had to stage a full scale retreat. I'm curious about next time as unless something comes along to bail them out it's looking like this team may be getting their cover blown early on (which would be interesting at any rate).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 7, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Probably should of watched the stream instead of the ROH portions of the G1 super card :/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, Viz will be releasing the first batch of episodes for Sailor Stars on June 18th.

http://sailormoonnews.com/2019/04/05/sailor-moon-sailor-stars-volume-1-is-coming-to-home-video-june-18th/

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, Viz will be releasing the first batch of episodes for Sailor Stars on June 18th.

http://sailormoonnews.com/2019/04/05/sailor-moon-sailor-stars-volume-1-is-coming-to-home-video-june-18th/

I’m excited!!!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BattleCattle posted:

I’m excited!!!

Same here, it's nice to finally get a dub for the whole series after all these years (though I believe the only reason we didn't get one way back when is that Cloverway lost the license for the series not long after SuperS). Speaking of Sailor Moon, there still hasn't been any word on a release date for the Crystal Dream movies yet has there?

Off the subject, subs are out now for Star Twinkle 10.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 7, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Larryb posted:

Same here, it's nice to finally get a dub for the whole series after all these years (though I believe the only reason we didn't get one way back when is that Cloverway lost the license for the series not long after SuperS). Speaking of Sailor Moon, there still hasn't been any word on a release date for the Crystal Dream movies yet has there?

Off the subject, subs are out now for Star Twinkle 10.

OH, it's a dub, okay, I was confused because the subs for it have been on Hulu for a while now. I mean, they're near unreadable because they're bright yellow for some godforsaken reason, but.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

OH, it's a dub, okay, I was confused because the subs for it have been on Hulu for a while now. I mean, they're near unreadable because they're bright yellow for some godforsaken reason, but.

Yeah, Viz has been slowly redubbing the 90’s series for a little while now and this will be the first time Sailor Stars will be getting one in the west (though it was dubbed and released in other countries back in the day).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In regards to Star Twinkle, as mentioned before that was unexpectedly dark. The team lost two pens, got beat so badly they had to stage a full scale retreat (which I don't think has happened in this franchise before to my knowledge) and to top it all off their rocket landed almost right in front of the alien hunters.

Even if they somehow escape detection next episode (which seems likely based on the preview) I have a feeling that Madoka's dad is going to learn the truth eventually and I'm curious how he'll react.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah at the end of this episode I was about to say maybe we're getting that series where their identities are revealed early on right now, but after seeing the preview I think they're going to just narrowly avoid being seen by Madoka's dad (or get seen but not identified, and succeed in escaping from them).

This is at least the first definitive defeat I've seen a Precure team suffer (I don't really count stuff like Moonlight being defeated in flashbacks). Like, Blossom/Marine/Sunshine lost pretty badly to the Desert Apostle generals in Moonlight's debut episode, but that's the thing, Moonlight showed up and saved them and thoroughly trounced the generals. This time it was nope, no one saves the day, Puruns just grabs them and high tails it out of there.

And losing an additional pen to the one that Eyewan found hurts pretty bad.

e: after reading the toku thread that reminds me that this episode forced the Precure out of their transformations, which happens literally all the time in Rider/Sentai but very rarely happens in Precure.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

That time Joker stole Candy probably counts.

It was pretty rough.