Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

muscles like this! posted:

Something I kind of wonder is if Jemaine Clement wrote the episode after they cast Matt Berry or did they let Matt just kind of throw in whatever he wanted because that character was just chock full of Matt Berry-isms.

I think the strength of Matt Berry is he can take anything and make it Matt Berry.

Like the thread title. I can easily imagine Rhys Darby shouting "Bat!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
The way he delivers the line "creature of! the night," kills me a little. Also the way he falls down when Nadjia hisses at him a couple seconds later.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I haven't seen the movie since right after it came out on video. Are these the same characters?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
No, and from the pilot it seems like they're going with slightly different concepts.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

I haven't seen the movie since right after it came out on video. Are these the same characters?

Same basic concept, different characters and location. Jemaine Clement wrote the first episode and Taika Waititi directed, so it'll be interesting to see how the other episodes work. I think Clement is directing most if not all of them, but not writing any more?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
How can there be any other line in this as good as "If you were going to eat a sandwich, you would prefer that no one had hosed it"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I laughed so hard the people I was with got mad at me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Big laughs out of the show with the bit where Nadja talks about how she used to have sex with the Baron and it will be awkward to be around him and Laszlo. Then Laszlo says he used to have sex with the Baron and hopes they can pick that back up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nadja lamenting that her beloved Gregor was beheaded, then like 15 minutes later casually revealing SHE was the one who beheaded him (and finished banging him anyway!) was loving great.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

"I call that Nadja's theme" was not like a super funny joke, but it was loving clever as poo poo.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Jerusalem posted:

Nadja lamenting that her beloved Gregor was beheaded, then like 15 minutes later casually revealing SHE was the one who beheaded him (and finished banging him anyway!) was loving great.

My favorite part of that whole sequence was that the guy still wanted her number so they could meet up again.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

1stGear posted:

My favorite part of that whole sequence was that the guy still wanted her number so they could meet up again.

That was great, but my favorite part was the initial bit where she stares in his window while he's beating off.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Jerusalem posted:

When she said that it cut to a painting, and my girlfriend recognized it as a pretty famous painting I can't remember the name of, but it depicts a woman who seduces the leader of a country she's warring with and beheads him, and the guy in the painting is legit named Gregor as well

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

It was the fact that she said he was beheaded in battle, then it turns out to be during sex. And I got the impression that it happened when they first met/hooked up, so she couldn't have even known him that long. Like, it was a one night stand.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Davros1 posted:

It was the fact that she said he was beheaded in battle, then it turns out to be during sex. And I got the impression that it happened when they first met/hooked up, so she couldn't have even known him that long. Like, it was a one night stand.

It wouldn't be surprised if "reincarnate lovers" just pop up all the time for her.

Davros1 posted:

I think the strength of Matt Berry is he can take anything and make it Matt Berry.

Like the thread title. I can easily imagine Rhys Darby shouting "Bat!"

I frequently don't like Matt Berry for exactly that reason - - no matter what the role is, he always kinda hams it up, and that doesn't always work.

Here it works perfectly. Brilliant casting.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 2, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm sure you've all seen it before, but seriously nothing beats Matt Berry's introductory scene in The IT Crowd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP7LHHR91lE

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I wasn't sure my wife was into the show until we were in the kitchen and I don't remember what she said but I hissed and made claws at her and she lost it. Then had to tell every funny scene to the other person in the room who hasn't seen the show. She's hooked.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I never rewatch comedies but I did the pilot, and the quickcut to Nadja chasing Laszlo around with a sword screaming "I WILL KILL YOU" is a lot funnier knowing what she says about her beloved Gregor later.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I also urge everyone to somehow check out Wellington Paranormal. It's a shame it's not widely available, because it's really loving funny and has some WWDITS cameos as well.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I'd be really interested to hear how Wellington Paranormal is received internationally because it seems so specifically Kiwi.

Hallway through the first episode I lost it when I realised it was going to center around that dumb bucket fountain.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Captain_Person posted:

I'd be really interested to hear how Wellington Paranormal is received internationally because it seems so specifically Kiwi.

Hallway through the first episode I lost it when I realised it was going to center around that dumb bucket fountain.

I loved it - I obviously don't know anything about NZ culture, but it's generally broad enough to apply to any other similar provincial location, I think. The whole show is built around just, like, regular people reacting to the supernatural, and the local flavour gives it a ton of personality that's very specific, but also pretty relatable. Like I could totally envision a similar scenario happening with a dumb sculpture in my own hometown.

The guy who plays the sergeant is so loving funny, holy poo poo.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 4, 2019

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The first episode was a little too close to the movie for me, but this one was hilarious. Especially Lazslo playing a clarinet to summon raccoons ... and then leaving a pile of dead raccoons on the council president's porch as a token of his sincerity.

I guess "Jenelf" is going to play the newbie vampire role that Nick played in the movie?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Selachian posted:

The first episode was a little too close to the movie for me

Ah good I'm not alone with that. I haven't seen the second episode yet but I think I would've enjoyed the pilot a lot more if I never saw the movie

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

First half of the episode was okay but a bit of a step down from last week, but goddamn did they crush it in the back half. All three of them had great sub-stories and Nandor trying to call to Doug.... Peter....s? son? Doug Peterson through the ether was great. The way he points to himself in delight after the reference to the Slouching Beast :kiss:

"Is this a message from MS-13?" was the line of the night for me.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Colin Robinson is the best vampire

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

"Someday they will all be dead, and you will do a poo poo on all of their graves."

Such a great line.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Selachian posted:

The first episode was a little too close to the movie for me, but this one was hilarious. Especially Lazslo playing a clarinet to summon raccoons ... and then leaving a pile of dead raccoons on the council president's porch as a token of his sincerity.

Lazlo's raccoon adventures was great :haw:

Hakkesshu posted:

I also urge everyone to somehow check out Wellington Paranormal. It's a shame it's not widely available, because it's really loving funny and has some WWDITS cameos as well.

Yeah if people like the tone of What We Do In The Shadows they should definitely check out Wellington Paranormal, it's pretty much the WWDITS equivalent of X-Files starring the incompetent cops from the movie. There were only six episodes in season 1 but there should be another 13 episodes coming out later this year.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6s1hd3

counterfeitsaint posted:

I never rewatch comedies but I did the pilot, and the quickcut to Nadja chasing Laszlo around with a sword screaming "I WILL KILL YOU" is a lot funnier knowing what she says about her beloved Gregor later.

Apparently the writers wanted to make Nadja the smart one of the group but Natasia really pushed for the character to be just as dumb and crazy as the other vampires
https://twitter.com/LaurenSarner/status/1110563651268812800

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 4, 2019

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That started out slow, but the last couple of scenes were amazing. I hope the entire first season is them trying various political machinations on the city council like it's 14th century Naples or some poo poo.

I thought Colin Robinson was kind of weak in the pilot tbh, but he was way better in this episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"I can't stand up right now, if you know what I mean :haw:"

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i wasn't familiar with colin robinson so I looked him up, where he started being famous for trolling local tv studios with this stunt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj9VF7LyffU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He got his dick ate in room 104.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

He also had a great turn on Better Call Saul as a wannabe drug dealer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently the writers wanted to make Nadja the smart one of the group but Natasia really pushed for the character to be just as dumb and crazy as the other vampires
https://twitter.com/LaurenSarner/status/1110563651268812800

Yesss, (hiss), and this is exactly why Sweet Dee on Always Sunny is so good. After season 1 where she was slotted in, she basically needed to be dragged down to the level of the rest of the gang and it made her amazing.

Really glad this is living up to the movie. I can't think of any other movie>TV show that works quite as well as this has either.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I very much enjoyed the dialogue in the energy vampire - emotional vampire battle.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
"But there again, he was always saying poo poo like that."

The delivery of that slayed, this shows so good.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Enderzero posted:

I very much enjoyed the dialogue in the energy vampire - emotional vampire battle.

Remind me to send you that Slate article on the millennial housing crisis.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV > What We Do in the Shadows "HUMAN FORM!"

I'm dead.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Another great episode, loved the proudly multi-ethnic werewolf pack but the Evie/Colin subplot was the highlight. Also Nadja continues to deliver with her weirdness, that little tour of the lair was great: "I hate this loving goat."

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Remind me to send you that Slate article on the millennial housing crisis.

That was loving incredible.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Was hoping Rhys Darby might've been back as a werewolf, but nevermind. The dog treat being thrown off the building was hilarious, and agreed about the Emotional/Energy vampire thing. The energy vampire addition is something that really could've been hosed up when bringing it over to the US, but it's so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's a good show and I enjoy it.

And that actor is pretty much perfect for the energy vamp role