Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Sweet, the Speed6 moves under its own power. I took it for a drive around the block last night; whatever tune was on the UniChip is super, super rich, so I’m just driving with it disabled. The Borla exhaust sounds great on this thing, and BOY I forgot how heavy an AWD powertrain is to load up.

I’m impressed that this thing sat for three years and fired right up/drove when all the conditions were met; my turbo may be smoking, judging by the bluish vapor coming from the exhaust even after extended warmup and idle/driving. Given the condition of everything else on the car I’m gonna guess that was the PO’s breaking point on trading it in.

Next up: TIRES!

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Just seafoam it baby :v:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Looks like Hankook Ventus V12s in 235/40/18 rate the highest for daily driving in Texas weather conditions, any objections? Car isn’t gonna be tracked for a while until I sort out any remaining bugs. I was also looking at BFG SportComp2s and Firehawk Indy 500s; I used the BFGs frequently on my RS and they held up well.

I think some dude is gonna sell me a full set of hardcopy FSMs too, soon as he sets up a PayPal

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 13, 2019

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Let me know if there is a better place to ask. I'm going to look at a used 2016 CX-5. It has 65,000 miles, are there any major issues with this model I should look out for? Thank you.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

So I'm trying to install this Cobb turbo inlet pipe, and I'm having trouble fitting it on. It seems like it's too small...?

But then why does it- oh, I guess the custom intake tube that came with the car is a little bigger. That's weird, that doesn't make sense at all-

...oh.

Suddenly all the previous owner's mods make sense. He went to Garrett.

Unknownmass posted:

Let me know if there is a better place to ask. I'm going to look at a used 2016 CX-5. It has 65,000 miles, are there any major issues with this model I should look out for? Thank you.

I don't know anything SPECIFIC about those, but here's the NHTSA's recall page for the car; see if you can get the selling party to get these taken care of if it meets mileage/age criteria: https://www.cars.com/research/mazda-cx_5-2016/recalls/

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Waffle House posted:

Suddenly all the previous owner's mods make sense. He went to Garrett.

:golfclap:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Well the Cobb intake looks great...

AND SO DO THESE FUCKIN FIREHAWKS, drat. I went with 235s, which is about as much as you can fit without rolling fenders and clearance-ing the body on these 8.5s. The wheels are kinda rashed but gently caress it.

CAR LOOKS GREAT, needs a bath

If anyone needs diagrams or procedures, I'm your huckleberry. My shop manuals came in, and as far as I can tell I have everything I need to fix anything on this car except for a Mazda WDS setup. Speaking of, if anyone knows where to get ahold of that...

Gotta figure out why my rear running lights aren't turning on with the headlamps, kinda nice to have factory wiring diagrams, eh?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think i saw you post those manuals in a FB group.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

You definitely did see me post them in the MS6 owner's club. I'm sure you noticed my consistency with the giraffe branding, as well.

e: Does anyone know if this right here is legitimately a Worldwide Diagnostic tool? I'm pretty sure this is UNDER what a dealership would charge to fix my laundry list of problems that require this device.

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 16, 2019

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Dude you made the batmobile. That frickin rips!

:sun:

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
A Cobb AP is half that price and I’m pretty sure you can read and clear codes with it. That being said, I’ve never had to read codes with mine, so maybe that thing is better somehow.

E: Nice wheels/tires BTW :krad:

hattersmad fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 17, 2019

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

MC Hawking posted:

Dude you made the batmobile. That frickin rips!

:sun:

Fixing someone’s old batmobile, but gently caress, same difference. From the mods I can see, the guy built it to be as much fun as possible before hitting the need for auxiliary port-injected fueling, so hey, right on man.

hattersmad posted:

A Cobb AP is half that price and I’m pretty sure you can read and clear codes with it. That being said, I’ve never had to read codes with mine, so maybe that thing is better somehow.

E: Nice wheels/tires BTW :krad:

Yeahhhh the AccessPort owns but it doesn’t let me reprogram the body control modules, etc. to get my dash cluster working...

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

swear to god i just saw a 2019 mazda 3 hatchback in a lowes parking lot in massachusetts

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

Ragtime All The Time posted:

swear to god i just saw a 2019 mazda 3 hatchback in a lowes parking lot in massachusetts

Probably did. Looks like they've just finished the media launch in Lake Tahoe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM9bSydiwcc

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah I've been getting an ad for the Seattle dealers having them for at least 2 weeks. Still haven't seen one. I'm in Belgium right now though where Mazdas don't seem to be too popular.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I recently leased a 2019 Toyota Yaris sedan, which is a rebadged Mazda2. Despite having only 106 HP, it weighs only 2400 pounds so it feels fast enough for me. Sport mode is fun on the highway. The interior is really nice for a $16k car.

I might consider another Mazda when my lease ends.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mill Village posted:

I recently leased a 2019 Toyota Yaris sedan, which is a rebadged Mazda2. Despite having only 106 HP, it weighs only 2400 pounds so it feels fast enough for me. Sport mode is fun on the highway. The interior is really nice for a $16k car.

Mazdas are generally quite good.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The day my 2014 ticked over 100k miles, it developed its first issue.

Any guidance on troubleshooting this? I’m just seeing a lot of “take it to the dealership” posts.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 28, 2019

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That happened to my 2016, it started off intermittent but happened much more often over time.

The dealer initially said it was a software issue so did an update (obviously that didn't work), turned out it was actually a lose/corroded connection in the tailgate wiring, apparently close to the camera end.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

dissss posted:

That happened to my 2016, it started off intermittent but happened much more often over time.

The dealer initially said it was a software issue so did an update (obviously that didn't work), turned out it was actually a lose/corroded connection in the tailgate wiring, apparently close to the camera end.

Good guy camera, comes with an early corrosion warning system

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Does that mean it's an analog system? I know some of the rear-view systems are minimum spec but I figured a digital signal is easier in this decade.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Charles posted:

Does that mean it's an analog system? I know some of the rear-view systems are minimum spec but I figured a digital signal is easier in this decade.

Pretty sure most of these cameras are 480i composite equivalent. They sure look like it.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Mill Village posted:

Hot off the presses I will have you know that the 2020 Yaris line is importing the Mazda 2 hatchback to sell along side the sedan. 6 speed auto only though. Same engine and interior bits though. If I didn't love my 2012 to death I'd be all over that were a manual offered. Gotta appease the masses though, so I'm not surprised it's slushbox only.

Edit: THOUGH~~

Edit 2: I ran across a 2019 3 hatchback by work the other day. Looks very slick up front but that rear end end is thicker than Cardio B's implants.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 4, 2019

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I like that they have a proper HUD in the 3 now, but the body lines, especially in the rear
... welp.

Glad i sold my '15 when I did.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I took a seat in a 2019 3 the other day at the dealership, god that interior is slick. And they rectified one of my biggest peeves, there's a charging port underneath the HVAC controls.

Blind spots are not ideal though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Time to do brakes!

Gonna go with Centric rotors this time around, what's the current favorite pad? Stil Hawkes?

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
I went with Stoptech 309 compound last time and have been pretty happy with them performance-wise. Only complaint is lots of brake dust.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Funny, this just came up in the subaru thread.

Hawk has a new version of the HPS, the HPS 5.0, which I would like to try, but out of the less expensive performance street pads out there, the stoptech 309 is hard to beat (ferodo ds2500 is better but lots more expensive). Has a higher coefficient of friction and max operating temp than the hawks and most other stuff. Works well enough when cold and warmed up they're really good. I have them and like them and would buy them again, although next time I may get the hawks or dba sp500s or 308s or a carbotech of some sort just to compare and try something different. Hawk's new version of the HP+, called the 'street race" is I believe the DTC-30 compound, which is good, but with some changes to try to reduce noise, like built in shims on the backing plate.

Stoptech has a couple other street pads now:
305 - street select, which I think might have been their old fleet/police compound. So last longer, handles a little more abuse than, say, a centric posi-quiet, cheaper than the 309s
308 - street, I think a slightly toned down version of the 309, so a little less bite, and dust. lower mot.
309 - the original "street performance" pad. Now it is called the sport pad, stoptech claims it will put up with something like 1400f, which getting into race pad territory.

Rockauto looks like the cheapest place to get centric blanks but I appear to have more competitive pricing on the stoptechs (and hawk). 309s have the best availability at my distributors.

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 4, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've been wondering if I really need a street performance pad at this point. Is there data you can link me showing the benefit over what RockAuto has under their Daily Driver listings?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If you are just driving around on the street there is not much benefit. They wear faster and generate more dust than say some sort of a ceramic street pad or whatever. Which is the trade off you get for better performance. The difference comes with you are using the brakes hard and getting heat into them, like on a fun canyon drive or something. A DD-type pad is going to fade easily and not generate very much friction at higher temps, and so on that type of a drive you're going to have to push the pedal harder and farther to get the same level of braking. The stoptechs, a hawk street-race, ferodo ds2500 etc are going to have a better cf when hot and will deal with that kind of driving all day. The higher level of friction means less pedal force is required so the brakes will feel grabbier and more powerful. When hot. On the first stop when cold, something from the parts store is going to feel similar if not better.

As far as data goes, I don't know what rockauto even carries, but here is hawk's chart of friction curves

Stoptechs are somewhere between the hp+ and dtc-30.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay, excellent.

I'm sort of leaning towards getting out of the car so I might just put basics on it since it's pretty much time ot drive the Miata.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
That’s a super interesting chart

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

hattersmad posted:

That’s a super interesting chart

Don't... necessarily hang your hat on the accuracy of it in absolute terms - relative terms sure.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Dumb question but when replacing the bolts on shocks and struts is it a good idea to dab a little blue loctite on there for good measure?

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
Got new wheels and tires for the MS3

RPF1s in 17x9 +45, Potenza RE-71Rs in 245/45R17

5mm spacers

Custom center caps (w/ rusty rotors)

A bit cheeky but not too HELLAFLUSH

The ride

hattersmad fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 8, 2019

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice
That looks great. How much are you lowered?

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
Thanks, suspension is still stock. I’m waiting until the factory shocks give out and then I’ll figure out what I want to do.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

MC Hawking posted:

Dumb question but when replacing the bolts on shocks and struts is it a good idea to dab a little blue loctite on there for good measure?

I would say no. I did just have to grind the top nut off a strut though. Basically torque to spec and let it be.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Rpf1s look good on anything, I had them on my rx8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No poo poo, seeing them on that car makes me slightly regret not putting them on my '07 MS3. Would've been a wash for cheaper tires at the time, too.