Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah, for an absolutely tiny lady, she sells the gently caress out of being able to hit really hard. I wrote something on her for some old 'stars of tomorrow' thread and it's sad she's 35 without it having happened, but at least I look better than the guy who was sure Taylor Kitch was the next big thing.

I had her pegged as the next Jackie Chan. Chocolate really sold that, especially with the bloopers and outtakes at the end, just like Jackie's movies. And then there's the warehouse scene, which is pure Jackie Chan (see below). Still, he's 65 and still working, maybe she can get her career going again.

I want to believe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqA-LjKPgpo

Look at that stunt at 2:20. Look at it. That's a career ending injury if she messes it up. And those poor stuntmen, that's a concrete floor they're landing on. God drat but I love Thai martial arts movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mllaneza posted:

I had her pegged as the next Jackie Chan. Chocolate really sold that, especially with the bloopers and outtakes at the end, just like Jackie's movies. And then there's the warehouse scene, which is pure Jackie Chan (see below). Still, he's 65 and still working, maybe she can get her career going again.

I want to believe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqA-LjKPgpo

Look at that stunt at 2:20. Look at it. That's a career ending injury if she messes it up. And those poor stuntmen, that's a concrete floor they're landing on. God drat but I love Thai martial arts movies.

There were three Thai stars: Jaa, Yanin and Chupchong (you might remember him as the villain in Ong Back 3) all three of them seemed to be going places, and all three completely failed to pan out. I don't really follow Thai cinema, anyone know what the deal is?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Jaa was kinda hosed because of publishing deals, and then he did a epic trilogy that didn't pan too good as well.. also I think he became part of a religious group in order to avoid his lovely contract, is that right?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

What does everyone else think of these? For the record, I think 6, 7, and 8 are fan-loving-tastic, up there with the best Mission Impossibles (another franchise I came late to, running through them in time to catch up with Fallout last summer). In fact, they are practically superhero team-up movies, with all kinds of comic booky stuff going on that appealed to me greatly.

What I adore about the FnF franchise is that my poor taste car-obsessed friends have hated them more as time has gone on. They want more of the 'realistic' street racing bullshit of the first few films rather than the actually entertaining action of the latter ones. They get SO ANNOYED by them not being specifically about cars and I love it :allears:

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I saw Furie, a Vietnamese flick about a debt collector from a rural village going to Saigon to rescue her daughter from human traffickers. Veronica Ngo I don't think has a martial arts background but did her own fights and was really good overall. Her character is not the usual action movie invincible badass, she gets her rear end kicked more than she does the kicking. There isn't a huge amount of action but what there was was pretty good. The best part of the movie was being the only white guy in the theater filled with Vietnamese families, from very young children to grandmas, supporting Vietnamese filmmakers by watching this totally inappropriate-for-children violent and gory movie. I hope they enjoyed it as much as I did.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Honest Thief posted:

Jaa was kinda hosed because of publishing deals, and then he did a epic trilogy that didn't pan too good as well.. also I think he became part of a religious group in order to avoid his lovely contract, is that right?

He joined a monastery for about a year. Which isn't that unusual in Thai Buddhism (lots of believers become monks for a while as a sign of faith and humility), but the timing made a lot of people speculate that he pissed off either the mob or powerful studio bosses and was waiting for the heat to die down.

That aside, I think Jaa's biggest problem career-wise is that he has no real way to advance. He's a skilled fighter, but he doesn't have the charisma to make it as a big star on the international market. So his choice is to either keep working in Thai pictures or accept supporting roles in more high-profile productions.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

That aside, I think Jaa's biggest problem career-wise is that he has no real way to advance. He's a skilled fighter, but he doesn't have the charisma to make it as a big star on the international market. So his choice is to either keep working in Thai pictures or accept supporting roles in more high-profile productions.

This is really it. He hasn't ever progressed in the areas he needed to in order to take the next step into real international stardom. He doesn't have real acting chops and so he can never really make something like Ip Man where actual character work is required. And he didn't learn basic conversational English pronunciation, which would have maybe allowed him to get a chance at smaller Hollywood roles. Like, Jackie Chan probably never made it to complete fluency in English but he did enough that he could deliver lines and be conversational in a way that sounded pretty natural. Jaa never did that.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

This is really it. He hasn't ever progressed in the areas he needed to in order to take the next step into real international stardom. He doesn't have real acting chops and so he can never really make something like Ip Man where actual character work is required. And he didn't learn basic conversational English pronunciation, which would have maybe allowed him to get a chance at smaller Hollywood roles. Like, Jackie Chan probably never made it to complete fluency in English but he did enough that he could deliver lines and be conversational in a way that sounded pretty natural. Jaa never did that.

Huh, to me Donnie Yen's acting has gotten ok but his performances in the Ip Man movies are the parts I dislike the most. I think you've got it with the language thing. Tony Jaa puts in great performances in SPL 2 and Paradox but while they're both Hong Kong pictures all his parts are in Thailand. I think he's a very charming and solid actor for a martial artist and still has a decent shot outside of Thailand, though most likely just more in Hong Kong not Hollywood. It's probably a small part but I'm excited to see him in Master Z

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FancyMike posted:

Huh, to me Donnie Yen's acting has gotten ok but his performances in the Ip Man movies are the parts I dislike the most. I think you've got it with the language thing. Tony Jaa puts in great performances in SPL 2 and Paradox but while they're both Hong Kong pictures all his parts are in Thailand. I think he's a very charming and solid actor for a martial artist and still has a decent shot outside of Thailand, though most likely just more in Hong Kong not Hollywood. It's probably a small part but I'm excited to see him in Master Z

I mean yea, Ip Man isn't exactly Oscar worthy acting but for me it's definitely beyond anything I've seen Jaa do. That's kinda what I'm getting at though, Jaa never really reached that bare minimum level of acting ability that would allow him to reach the next level.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Reminder that Donnie Yen was jobbing on the Matrix sequels. I bet if Jaa could have gotten the english down he would have gained some roles like Yen's.

Samuel Clemens posted:

He joined a monastery for about a year. Which isn't that unusual in Thai Buddhism (lots of believers become monks for a while as a sign of faith and humility), but the timing made a lot of people speculate that he pissed off either the mob or powerful studio bosses and was waiting for the heat to die down.

Yeah, and I think it was around the time of this historical martial arts trilogy that was going really poorly?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Nah, that was Collin Chou.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Honest Thief posted:

Reminder that Donnie Yen was jobbing on the Matrix sequels. I bet if Jaa could have gotten the english down he would have gained some roles like Yen's.

Yeah, and I think it was around the time of this historical martial arts trilogy that was going really poorly?

sorry, what does jobbing mean? Yen wasnt in the Matrix movies.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A wrestling term: losing to make the other guy look good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe thinking of Blade 2, which featured a lot of black trenchcoats and sunglasses so the mistake is understandable.

Halloween Jack posted:

A wrestling term: losing to make the other guy look good.

It's called "jobbing" though because it's an inglorious role to have. It doesn't further your career, it's just a paycheck(a job). That's the definition that would be relevant here.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 4, 2019

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ammanas posted:

Man, it's been years since I've seen it, but I could have sworn Yen played Seraph in 2 and 3, so I was with Honest Thief on this one. To the point where I just went to look it up to prove you wrong, and turns out I have face blindness, and Seraph was played by someone named Collin Chou.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I hope that netflix series with Uwais won't suck and he keeps getting bigger roles.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chas McGill posted:

I hope that netflix series with Uwais won't suck and he keeps getting bigger roles.

It's great that he's getting consistent work though, I was worried after The Raid 2 that he'd end up just waiting around for Evans to use him again. But since then he's done quite a bit.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Big Blade 2 defender here but it's use of Donnie Yen is in fact indefensible.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

In hindsight it was probably a mistake by Yen(or his agent) to agree to be in it.

To see a really effective U.S. debut, look at Lethal Weapon 4. Li doesn't get a ton of screen-time, but what he's allowed to do with it put him on the map immediately.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Ammanas posted:

gently caress me, you're right, for some reason I always thought Donnie did the matrix sequels, don't know why specifically him but I was really sure about it for years

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Don't forget Highlander 4, where he wore a cool jacket and was the best thing in an awful movie (that I own on DVD)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Halloween Jack posted:

Don't forget Highlander 4, where he wore a cool jacket and was the best thing in an awful movie (that I own on DVD)

Yeah, the one shining bright part of that movie was Yen fighting Duncan. It's criminal that it's over so fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5dzAUJhe9U

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Man, it's been years since I've seen it, but I could have sworn Yen played Seraph in 2 and 3, so I was with Honest Thief on this one. To the point where I just went to look it up to prove you wrong, and turns out I have face blindness, and Seraph was played by someone named Collin Chou.

You can see Donnie and Colin have a cool fight in Flashpoint. Which to you, might be like Jet Li fighting Jet Li in The One.

Edit: I don't know how to use smilies, so just to be clear, I'm joking with you.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
The irony here is that Collin Chou's role in the matrix movies was originally pitched to jet li

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Narzack posted:

You can see Donnie and Colin have a cool fight in Flashpoint. Which to you, might be like Jet Li fighting Jet Li in The One.

Edit: I don't know how to use smilies, so just to be clear, I'm joking with you.

Flashpoint's final fight scene is absolutely dope and probably the best attempt anyone's made in Hong Kong to incorporate mma in chinese action films. Special ID is when they get confused and think the grappling is the interesting part.

He was a choreographer on several of the fight scenes, and Del Toro just crammed him in to make sure he appeared on camera.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I think Tony Jaa is perfectly fine, even looks-wise (but I am Southeast Asian). He showed a bit of character in Triple Threat during the downtime scene where he cooked food, I think he just needs more opportunities?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I have a deep sadness that XXX3 did not do good because it had a fantastic international cast. All of them should have more to do in Hollywood and I thought Donny Yen did good. Even Tony Jaa was energetic. Deepika Padukone was good too.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

I think Tony Jaa is perfectly fine, even looks-wise (but I am Southeast Asian). He showed a bit of character in Triple Threat during the downtime scene where he cooked food, I think he just needs more opportunities?

It doesn't help that he was in godawful movies with no redeeming features but the action scenes. There's a scene in Tom Yung Goong (the protector) that is honestly the single worst scene i've seen. They're in their hideout (a temple) they leave, briefly, have an inane conversation in the car, then drive back to find the temple on fire. It's like they really wanted to have a scene where the hero comes back to find their refuge destroyed, but couldn't work out how to fit it into the rest of the film. So they just didn't.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Gatts posted:

I have a deep sadness that XXX3 did not do good because it had a fantastic international cast. All of them should have more to do in Hollywood and I thought Donny Yen did good. Even Tony Jaa was energetic. Deepika Padukone was good too.

I loved the gently caress out of that movie and everyone in it, it felt like they had a great time making it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Narzack posted:

Oh no worries, you made me laugh.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My wife and I spent the last week binge-watching the Fast and the Furious series, after my best friend did the same and sent me enthusiastic e-mails with his impressions after each one.

I had only ever seen the first one back when it came out in 2001, and was unimpressed enough to not see any of the others. But after being intrigued by the trailer for the upcoming new one with The Rock and Jason Statham teaming up against a super-powered Idris Elba, we were all inspired to give the series a fair chance.

So even though my wife and I watched them out of order (1 --> 6 --> 7 --> 8 --> 2 --> 4 --> 5 --> 3), I would have to rank them as:

What does everyone else think of these? For the record, I think 6, 7, and 8 are fan-loving-tastic, up there with the best Mission Impossibles (another franchise I came late to, running through them in time to catch up with Fallout last summer). In fact, they are practically superhero team-up movies, with all kinds of comic booky stuff going on that appealed to me greatly.
Where did the first one touch you? I first saw it in theaters too and it was pretty dumb but I liked it enough in a cheesy b-movie way. IMO 2 and 4 are the worst, I can't even remember what the hell happened there. Tokyo Drift is fun but Fast Five is really when it gets properly good and still my favorite. Probably still my favorite of the bunch. 6 and 7 are good too, while 8 is a bit of step down.

I don't know what triggered it but yesterday I somehow realized that I haven't seen Aliens in its entirety and had to immediately fix. I only recognized a few scenes with the APC and Newt in the ducts from having seen bits and pieces on TV before, so it was pretty much all new to me. It's very good. The effects hold up pretty well for the most part, though you hardly actually see any of the xenomorphs, just like in the first one. It really takes it time to set everything up, there isn't really any action until almost 80 minutes in and even then it's dished out in small batches. There may be what, 15 minutes of shooting and fighting in total? But because all the characters are well set up you really feel the tension and excitement when poo poo hits the fan.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 6, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, the one shining bright part of that movie was Yen fighting Duncan. It's criminal that it's over so fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5dzAUJhe9U

A lot of people were pissed when that movie came out because they took left over budget money and filmed a bunch of effects/fight scene shots that were never in or meant to be in the movie JUST for the trailers.

But this fight scene being so short was like poo poo icing on the crap cake because Adrian Paul was talking it up a lot about how it was going to showcase how radically different their styles were and deliver a lot of characterization and stuff.

And before that was widely known there was some excitement for the director's cut since surely that would have all this badass stuff from the trailers in it. But then it dropped and all it had was a slightly longer sex scene towards the end and what's her name is still alive at the end. :wtc:

Blade 2 though, IIRC he was so underused because he was a late edition to the cast and was just going to choreograph/some stunt stuff at first.

Edit: I'm a dumbass and didn't see that someone already mentioned this.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 6, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The only other thing I remember about the fights from Highlander 4 is that they totally hosed up the editing on the final boss fight, and I'm pretty sure that's maintained in the director's cut. There's a sequence where they both fall over a railing together. They repeat the same sequence a minute later. It looks like a video game glitch where you fall through the floor of a basement into another basement.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

And then there's the JVC sign.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Went out to see Master Z: Ip Man Legacy yesterday. It's alright, about as good as the Donnie Yen Ip Mans imo. I might like it just a bit more than those just because I prefer Zhang Jin as the lead slightly over Yen's Ip Man. Script is corny but the fights are solid. Bautista and Michelle Yeoh are both good and fun to watch. Tony Jaa is barely there, maybe two minutes on screen. Some of the other supporting cast is great too, Xing Yu is fun and I always like seeing Philip Keung.

My ranking of Ip Man films remains basically unchanged. The Grandmaster, The Final Fight, and then the rest of them in whatever order. Maybe with a slight edge to The Legend is Born if only for the Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao match at the start I'm a sucker for seeing those two old and still on screen together.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Hellboy. It's good. He kills a giant with a sword the size of a tree, and later some Beksinski paintings come to life and eat people. It's good.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Halloween Jack posted:

Hellboy. It's good. He kills a giant with a sword the size of a tree, and later some Beksinski paintings come to life and eat people. It's good.

First positive review I’ve seen, but also the most believable

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Got around to watching The Villainess the other night... Kinda obvious twist-heavy Korean homage to La Femme Nikita. Some great action sequences, especially the opener

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Night Comes For Us doesn't gently caress around:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Halloween Jack posted:

The only other thing I remember about the fights from Highlander 4 is that they totally hosed up the editing on the final boss fight, and I'm pretty sure that's maintained in the director's cut. There's a sequence where they both fall over a railing together. They repeat the same sequence a minute later. It looks like a video game glitch where you fall through the floor of a basement into another basement.

Fun fact: Douglas Aarnioski, who made his directorial debut with Highlander 4, is now a producer and director on Star Trek: Discovery and the untitled Picard show.

Also, with Highlander 4, they had to heavily gimmick and cut around Lambert and Payne's fight scenes, because Lambert was already legally blind and Payne was incompetent with a sword to the point that he literally could have taken someone's head off.