Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

don't put internet connected always-on microphones in your house

i put them in your house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
or just... turn off the mic? any of y'all just flip the simple straightforward switch controlling this behavior or is it more fun to clutch pearls and pretend there's no option?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

does anyone make a plug-in speaker that you can spotify to using WiFi which doesn't have some stupid voice assistant thing?

like all I want is one that my wife or I can send tunes through without tying our phones up to a Bluetooth device.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I assumed the ridiculous cost of the homepod was to cover the ridiculous cost of its r&d. they built multiple anechoic chambers to test the automatic room correction in that thing, I'd get a stereo pair if it wasn't apple walled garden exclusive

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

does anyone make a plug-in speaker that you can spotify to using WiFi which doesn't have some stupid voice assistant thing?

like all I want is one that my wife or I can send tunes through without tying our phones up to a Bluetooth device.

this is what a Sonos speaker is, or find a speaker with Chromecast built in. or find a Chromecast audio (rip) and use it with any powered speaker

e: if it's literally just Spotify you want their website has a list of speakers with their proprietary Spotify connect streaming

Jenny Agutter fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 4, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shifty Pony posted:

sonos?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Ruffian Price posted:

the automatic room correction

my receiver came with a corded microphone to do the same thing and it was less costly than the now reduced price homepod

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

older version of fireTV or ATV hooked up to your home theater receiver/tv, can airplay or use the spotify app on either.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mostly don't get some super-integrated piece of kit, especially if you're worried about the stuff integrated. spotify lists stuff which directly supports it https://spotify-everywhere.com/collections/audio-streamers , but you can cobble stuff together pretty easy even outside that.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

last time I checked the sonos line had alexa built in :(

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

my receiver came with a corded microphone to do the same thing and it was less costly than the now reduced price homepod
there's much cooler stuff you can do with dsp-enabled devices with multiple drivers (that you know the location, directivity and internal delay down to a nanosecond for every single one) as opposed to regular one-off calibration. fwiw the newer lines harman smart speakers also incorporate some of the nextgen poo poo for less (and the newest genelec monitors for more), but apple, not being a dedicated audio company, had to expand

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ruffian Price posted:

i don't know when that was because they've always had ones that don't

you can just not buy the "smart speaker" ones

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

oh right, the play ones can only connect to external devices with mics. yeah that's the best option then

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

play would work, no airplay support though. I suppose I could always get one that does have an assistant and just have my router blacklist the thing from communicating with anything but Sonos and Spotify.

DNS blocking isn't enough because apparently Google has taken to hardcoding their devices/apps to use their own DNS so others can't be far behind.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Shifty Pony posted:

play would work, no airplay support though. I suppose I could always get one that does have an assistant and just have my router blacklist the thing from communicating with anything but Sonos and Spotify.

DNS blocking isn't enough because apparently Google has taken to hardcoding their devices/apps to use their own DNS so others can't be far behind.

This is pretty common, many apps (like Netflix, for example) do it. But you can always force devices to use your DNS server if your router is flexible enough.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shifty Pony posted:

my lg sound bar has Bluetooth so you can just send it music from your phone or whatever

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
buy an old iPhone and hook it up to a regular rear end speaker and then you’re set

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I have a sonos. it's ok

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

im the guy with two homepods. they can get very loud :guitar:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I just bought a used airport express that supports AirPlay 2 and plugged my UE roll into it. works all right.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jit bull transpile posted:

my lg sound bar has Bluetooth so an old vietnamese man can just send it music from his phone or whatever

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Last Chance posted:

im the guy with two homepods. they can get very loud :guitar:

seven hundred earth dollars of homespod

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I don't want to use Bluetooth because then if you hit one of those "labeled as gif but actually a video" it stops playback because iOS can't handle more than one app producing audio apparently, and swapping between my phone and my wife's phone will be a pain.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

every day i pray tim allows a cacophony of video news stories, music, and the screeching sounds of podcasts in my ears at the same time

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shifty Pony posted:

yes.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

lol

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Ruffian Price posted:

there's much cooler stuff you can do with dsp-enabled devices with multiple drivers (that you know the location, directivity and internal delay down to a nanosecond for every single one) as opposed to regular one-off calibration. fwiw the newer lines harman smart speakers also incorporate some of the nextgen poo poo for less (and the newest genelec monitors for more), but apple, not being a dedicated audio company, had to expand

how much of an advantage does this end up being in reality?

(especially when people are using it for really compressed music like spotify)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

how much of an advantage does this end up being in reality?

(especially when people are using it for really compressed music like spotify)

reads like marketing copy for audiophiles

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Wild EEPROM posted:

buy an old iPhone and hook it up to a regular rear end speaker and then you’re set

Works with an el cheapo old Android you install Spotify on as well, even less money!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

mostly don't get some super-integrated piece of kit,

yeah I was looking at upgrading the AV receiver in the front room, saw an ONKYO that had Spotify built in. Bit more reading and the last version of the hardware, only a couple years older than the new one the Spotify integration was ‘no longer supported’ and just stopped working with no fix, looking at the pile of angry reviews from stranded users. I’ll stick with a smartphone and a ‘dumb’ Anker BT speaker for my music.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ruffian Price posted:

im literally a product manager for harman smart speakers and i don’t even know what your talking about? surely none of it works that well

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

we are so disorganized and lazy internally that someone suggested adding a room calibration feature that just plays some fake test tones and then loads up the real dsp settings after you do it. lol.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

fart simpson posted:

im literally a product manager for harman smart speakers and i don’t even know what your talking about? surely none of it works that well

works as well as the invoke

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Drastic Actions posted:

works as well as the invoke

i have a development sample of that at home because the product manager sits at the desk beside mine and it stopped working a long time ago. bluetooth still works tho

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

yeah I was looking at upgrading the AV receiver in the front room, saw an ONKYO that had Spotify built in. Bit more reading and the last version of the hardware, only a couple years older than the new one the Spotify integration was ‘no longer supported’ and just stopped working with no fix, looking at the pile of angry reviews from stranded users. I’ll stick with a smartphone and a ‘dumb’ Anker BT speaker for my music.

my yamaha receiver works the same as when I bought it
if i was getting something now i'd look for airplay 2 support, denon actually added airplay 2 support to some old receivers

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

having also had really good experience with yamaha stuff (not least engineered for repair, so weirdly having a piece break on me turned out a painless experience), so i've told myself that if i'll buy into a multispeaker/streaming framework i'd go for their musiccast thing

at least if it slides out of support i do have faith it is stuff that'll work well just hooked up with wires

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

NoneMoreNegative posted:

yeah spotify does breaking api changes sometimes and audio companies are way too bad and cheap at software to update anything like that

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

fart simpson posted:

we are so disorganized and lazy internally that someone suggested adding a room calibration feature that just plays some fake test tones and then loads up the real dsp settings after you do it. lol.

nice

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

lol

NoneMoreNegative posted:

iot and smart poo poo are all poorly supported garbage and a security risk to boot

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

I like this guy's talks, is there a link to this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Finster Dexter posted:

I like this guy's talks, is there a link to this one?

james mickens on utub