Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Brett Easton Ellis refers to VVitch-style movies Indie Arthouse Horror, which is a good a name as anything.

And he’s clearly not talking about GET OUT but to these kind of dry, detached, metaphorically-bloodless dysfunctional family dramas where instead of a monster you get a series of plainly-depicted metaphors. Budget films aiming for Kubrick. Not just VVitch and It Follows - I’d toss in stuff like Killing Of A Sacred Deer and Annihilation.

I'd throw Mandy in that group too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I watched Hellivator once, I'm pretty sure I fell asleep

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Really we need more high concept physical game shows

I got super hyped for that dumb show the Rock was hosting but then it turned out to be like 45 minutes personal interest story and then like one or two events

Give me grown adults in elaborate sets doing physical challenges for fabulous prizes

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I got super hyped for that dumb show the Rock was hosting but then it turned out to be like 45 minutes personal interest story and then like one or two events

Give me grown adults in elaborate sets doing physical challenges for fabulous prizes

I worked on a tv game show called Race to the Scene that was hosted by Dolph Lundgren where the premise was teams of contestants would have to follow clues to a recreated movie set (Spider-Man 2, T2, etc.) and if they were able to successfully recreate the scene/stunt, they'd get the next clue and race to the next scene.

It was a good concept, but the show was just eh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kqPVEwBbaY

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 4, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Why hasn't American Gladiators been revived again?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Iron Crowned posted:

They did it briefly with Hulk Hogan but it was too polished and self-serious

American Gladiators owned because it was just joyously cheap and dumb

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Documental on Amazon Prime is great. It's 10 Japanese comedians in a room and if they laugh they get kicked out. The last man standing gets all their pooled entry money. There's nothing horrifying about it though. Well in the first season a guy gets so desperate he hops up on a table and tries to forcefully poo poo to make another guy laugh.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

It was too perfect last time.

Best gladiators original: Gemini and Tower

Best in the revival: Wolf and Crush (:swoon:)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Under the Silver Lake, the new film by David Robert Mitchell, is coming to VOD on the 22nd of this month!!!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Agreed. And some of them seemed ludicrously poorly tested, and relied more on the contestants figuring out the gimmick than executing.

Related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajLKE8BEoz0

I've watched this all the way through. It's not very good, but only because it actually isn't mean enough

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

It was too perfect last time.

Best gladiators original: Gemini and Tower

Best in the revival: Wolf and Crush (:swoon:)

Fun movie fact

Malibu in american gladiators played Motaro in Mortal Kombat Annihilation

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gameshow idea

Celebrity Laser Tag

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Gameshow idea

Celebrity Laser Tag

Paintball maybe, but laser tag is boring as hell to watch others play.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Paintball maybe, but laser tag is boring as hell to watch others play.

I thought of that or airsoft but the problem is you have to wear a face mask and part of the appeal is seeing the celebrities

keep in mind I fully endorse post-production adding actual lasers and making it take place in an obstacle course

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Fun movie fact

Malibu in american gladiators played Motaro in Mortal Kombat Annihilation

Thank you for reminding me of this clip:

https://youtu.be/fKio4o88TDA

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

This all sounds inferior to Celebrity Deathmatch

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Gameshow idea

Celebrity Laser Tag

Only if we do it live and make it like Gamer where fans can vote to give their favorite competitor upgrades or power ups or some poo poo.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

btw when I was a little kid I wasn't dumb enough to think Nick Arcade's Video Zone was real, but I thought it was an obstacle course they edited to look like a video game in post and was real sad when I found out it was just a greenscreen and thats why every kid was such poo poo at it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mel Mudkiper posted:

btw when I was a little kid I wasn't dumb enough to think Nick Arcade's Video Zone was real, but I thought it was an obstacle course they edited to look like a video game in post and was real sad when I found out it was just a greenscreen and thats why every kid was such poo poo at it

Hell, I was always sad that I couldn't play the Video Zone at home

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yea the illusion was always ruined when the kids would like hesitantly grope for a button to open a door, miss, have to glance over at the monitor to see where the button was in relation to their hand, then hit it again.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I've never heard of that show but it sounds like a grown up horror-themed legends of the hidden temple so gently caress yeah

The execution doesn't live up to the premise, unlike bottled fools which owns and is second only to tokyo gore police on my j-horror list

Pomp fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 4, 2019

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My wife and I were huge fans of Solitary. You might be able to find it on Hulu or something. We also had a mega crush on Val, the hot evil robot in charge.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Not horror, but the Korean game show The Genius is one of the best things ever. The cast is all gamers and celebrities, and to win you need to solve logic puzzles as well as get people to ally with you so there's a lot of betrayal and big reveal moments. It's loving great. You can stream the first season on YouTube subtitled by Bumdidliumptious.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Narzack posted:

My wife and I were huge fans of Solitary. You might be able to find it on Hulu or something. We also had a mega crush on Val, the hot evil robot in charge.

Solitary was fascinating. Kind of the apex of game shows and reality television, with the premise and challenges being morally questionable at best but being fueled by the contestants willingly submitting themselves to be brainwashed and tortured for television appearances and a cash prize. The fact that it was meant to go on indefinitely until only one person remained and not a limited time frame like Survivor's 30+ days was all the more cruel and entertaining.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Narzack posted:

It's a great premise, and has some cool stuff in it, but they are so absolutely abysmal that they tank the whole affair. I'm not even sure who these chicks are.

They're directors and did American Mary, no clue if they did anything else.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I've never heard of that show but it sounds like a grown up horror-themed legends of the hidden temple so gently caress yeah

It basically is, which is why it's fun. But it's constantly interrupted by the Soska Sisters putting in their 2 cents, being upset about the contestants succeeding and it's so terrible. They always have to say something which ruins the whole thing.

They had really fun stories for each of the episodes and the first season had some cool challenges, season 2 really rehashed a lot from what I remember. I think the budget dropped significantly.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gejimayu posted:

Not horror, but the Korean game show The Genius is one of the best things ever. The cast is all gamers and celebrities, and to win you need to solve logic puzzles as well as get people to ally with you so there's a lot of betrayal and big reveal moments. It's loving great. You can stream the first season on YouTube subtitled by Bumdidliumptious.

Seconded on The Genius rec.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Since we're talking shows, might as well bring up my all time favorite: MTV's Fear. It's been mentioned in thread before at times. The formula was they'd send people to a haunted location and the contestants would have to perform challenges at night with whoever lasted and completed the last challenge won cash. I really liked how they'd go into the history of the location and the various stories around them. The challenges were more psychological like sit in this disconnected electric chair in the dark for X amount of time or go in this room where people were found murdered and use a ouija board. It's pretty much a product of it's time now since the way this sort of show's changed to be all about the gross out challenges and I can't really see it making a comeback without tons of producer interference hyping poo poo up. For my friends who rant about reality TV style gameshows, I've suggested Fear to them and they've generally liked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX0Wfwqbf34

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Did anyone watch this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9zckOvTMUQ

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Anyone else see Pet Sematary yet? Overall I thought it was pretty poor. Felt like a DTV/TV movie rather than a film. I think it kind of fails on both fronts to be a decent adaptation of the novel and as a horror movie since most of the telegraphed scares never seem effective. Lithgow is probably the best part of the movie as most of the scenes with him are the highlights of the movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Harlock posted:

Anyone else see Pet Sematary yet? Overall I thought it was pretty poor. Felt like a DTV/TV movie rather than a film. I think it kind of fails on both fronts to be a decent adaptation of the novel and as a horror movie since most of the telegraphed scares never seem effective. Lithgow is probably the best part of the movie as most of the scenes with him are the highlights of the movie.
Just saw it. I had only seen the original for the first time this week, so it's not like I had a ton of nostalgia for it. And I didn't think the original was scary. I was laughing hysterically at all the parts that were probably supposed to be scary. So while I didn't like it too much, at least it had the camp factor going for it.

I knew while I was watching it that the remake would strip that out completely in favor of making things serious, because that's pretty much what all recent big budget horror remakes have done. Turns out I was right :smith:

It wasn't scary, but unfortunately it wasn't fun either.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know that the original Pet Sematary is supposed to be scary so much as its supposed to be utterly horrifying.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Watched Needful Things, and goddamn, that was a fun rear end movie. 2nd best Stephen King film adaptation behind The Shining.

Do yourself a favor and don't go see the new Pet Sematary in theaters. Don't rewatch the original ether. Just watch Needful Things. It's worth your time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gejimayu posted:

loving posers in this thread not bigging up Knightmare and The Adventure Game.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Jedit posted:

loving posers in this thread not bigging up Knightmare and The Adventure Game.

I watched like 4 hours of Knightmare on youtube once. My favorite bit was when the kids tell the other kid “Uh.. You’re in a room.”

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Escape Room was pretty fun but it’s almost more of an adventure movie than a horror, it definitely has a game show vibe to it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Watched Needful Things, and goddamn, that was a fun rear end movie. 2nd best Stephen King film adaptation behind The Shining.

Do yourself a favor and don't go see the new Pet Sematary in theaters. Don't rewatch the original ether. Just watch Needful Things. It's worth your time.

I've never seen Needful Things. I am eyeballing the 4k of the original Pet Semetery though

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Reading through a spoiler synopsis for Pet Sematary (which I always do, dont ask) it seems like this new version de emphasizes the existential dread of death of the original.

Is that the case or am I reading it wrong?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I've never seen Needful Things. I am eyeballing the 4k of the original Pet Semetery though

I bought the Pet Semetery UHD on a whim, didn't expect to see it on the shelf at Best Buy but I grabbed it.

Really nice, I recommend it. The daytime scenes look great with that Maine setting and it's not one of those overly noisy 4k transfers where the grain is all over the place. It has natural grain like a 80's/90's movie should, but just enough, never too much.

Actually, it came with a digital code if anyone wants it. I can post it when I get home or PM it to someone.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I'd love that Pet Semetery code if nobody else is interested. I was planning to pick that release up, but I spent my entertainment budget for the month on a batch of italian horror blu-rays to put aside for date nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

deety posted:

I spent my entertainment budget for the month on a batch of italian horror blu-rays to put aside for date nights.

there is no more trim in the universe because this man has it all