Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Kilometers Davis posted:

I like a ton of metal lyrics. They don’t have to be literary masterpieces to be good lyrics.

But also,

This should be a thing

I need to get into a recording studio somehow and do some lyrics about real estate, any musicians itt wanna lay down some tracks? We'll stick a clip of Alec Baldwin saying "Coffee's for closers only. You think I'm fuckin' with you. I am not fuckin' with you." at the beginning and do like a brutal slam death track about selling houses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

my bony fealty posted:

the brutal dm bands with weird sci fi lyrics like wormed and demilich are leagues better than most of the rapey gorey junk

Gore is fine, it's obviously over the top horror movie poo poo, I just think the handful of bands that fixate on rape are creepy.

I do love the weird sci-fi/cosmic horror lyrics. Demilich even sounds like they came from beyond the stars.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Siivola posted:

Yeah just scream about your groceries instead of all that gross poo poo.

I might legit do this.

I've stopped publishing lyrics to my last EP, because there's something comforting about releasing my material without scrutiny of the exact wording of the lyrics. It covers trans rights, gender fluidity, eating the rich, seeking help with mental health, anxiety, and getting old.

The first comment I got on my first EP on facebook was someone asking why I explicitely stated it was anti-fascist, and I realised I'm too old and too much of a hobbyist to deal with weird eastern european fascists.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lifeglug posted:

asking why I explicitely stated it was anti-fascist

The answer to this is "because gently caress you and your fascist friends"

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The answer to this is "because gently caress you and your fascist friends"

a good answer

what is some good lefty bm? Panopticon is overtly anti Trump and pro labor. Idk any others tho

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Iskra

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Summoning

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

entirely unironic and enthusiastic emptyquote

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Came upon this gem a few days back. A couple of the dudes in it are also in Chaos Moon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsiBpXdCis4

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

my bony fealty posted:

a good answer

what is some good lefty bm? Panopticon is overtly anti Trump and pro labor. Idk any others tho

Our very own Lifeglug!

I know it's off topic for this thread, but it's pretty much the only style of vocals I do and we're kinda talking about it: I really want to do a collaborative death metal thing where the music is just uncompromisingly brutal and the lyrics are all about mental health and learning to love yourself.

Just straight up breeeeee-ing about mindfulness and self-acceptance.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

a good answer

Dawn Ray'd.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

a good answer

The term is RABM, if you want the term it goes by right now, Red and Anarchist Black Metal. Most blackened crust kinda goes this way too, what with crust punk being pretty heavily left wing.

Iskra
Iskra are basically the biggest and best known RABM bands, agressive, punk infused blackened crust.

Storm of Sedition
Storm of Sedition basically came out of the end of Iskra and has several members doing their own thing. Explicitely anti-civ / an-prim in politics, but it's a loving good sound.

Leper
Leper are a weird one. I think they're borne of the same scene as Iskra and Storm of Sedition, but they have some ska in their sound too. It's weird, personally I like it, but I think it's really really niche. Whether it even counts as black metal is up in the air, it's definitely blackened crust though.

Dawn Ray'd
These guys are phenominal, a 3-piece who have been gathering a shitload of support these days as kind of the face of explicitely anarchist black metal.

Martyrdöd
Ok, this is d-beat / crust through and through, but this definitely has some black metal down in there somewhere, and are a good band who you should listen to anyway. :D

Ancst
More blackened crust and, to be honest, I've only just really been getting into their stuff, and it is good times.

And there's a whole bunch more with lefty themes, Panopticon as you mentioned, as well as bands like Wolves in the Throne Room who cover lefty topics, environmentalism, and so on, without necessarily being explicitely political music.

In the same way that not all fash bands are explicitely NSBM bands, and they hide their message behind plausable deniability of being misanthropic, folklorish-nationalistic, or just using fantasy as an allegory, there's also a scene of left wing musicians doing the same with their message.

Coven of the Pestilent One
Oh, and I am a shameless piece of poo poo and this is my band and it is entirely left-wing, covering topis I mentioned above, anti-fascism, anti-capitalism, feminisim, trans rights, mental health and so on.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lifeglug posted:

Coven of the Pestilent One
Oh, and I am a shameless piece of poo poo and this is my band and it is entirely left-wing, covering topis I mentioned above, anti-fascism, anti-capitalism, feminisim, trans rights, mental health and so on.

you forgot to mention that it loving owns

e: Wolves in the Throne Room are goddamn amazing live

Misandry Cannon
Mar 7, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

oh boy my favorite topic. most of the big ones have already been touched on. but here are a few others.

Dead to a Dying World
pessimistic and apocalyptic metal about how much weve hosed up everything. lefty af

Book of Sand
one of my favorite albums of the decade. book of sand is what happens if you take the dope occult anonymity of a lot black metal bands but make satan a hard leftist and a feminist and anarchist icon. this album rules.

Usnea
blackened funeral doom whose main lyrical themes are how cool and terrifying space is and how much capitalism sucks.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

Kilometers Davis posted:

PYF 80s proto black metal, I need more so I don’t just default to venom

the first wave stuff is the coolest stuff, vulcano, mortuary drape, root (1990 but w/e)

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Just chipping in to say Lords of Chaos is not as terrible as I expected. The dialogue is predictably poo poo, but the level of detail is impressive. They capture early 90s Norway really well.
Åkerlund’s background shines through, and Varg is shown as the cock he is. The soundtrack is alright, with some good stuff from Sigur Ros and Tangerine Dream, and you have Attila’s son playing his dad.
3/5 stars.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

the first wave stuff is the coolest stuff, vulcano, mortuary drape, root (1990 but w/e)

Yeah that’s the stuff I really need to dig into more. There’s so much great poo poo.

ElectricWizard posted:

Just chipping in to say Lords of Chaos is not as terrible as I expected. The dialogue is predictably poo poo, but the level of detail is impressive. They capture early 90s Norway really well.
Åkerlund’s background shines through, and Varg is shown as the cock he is. The soundtrack is alright, with some good stuff from Sigur Ros and Tangerine Dream, and you have Attila’s son playing his dad.
3/5 stars.

Nice! I thought the trailer was promising aside from some weird vibes in the tonal balance but eh everything else seemed really good. I’ll have to watch it once it hits digital.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

also sarcofago, hellhammer, parabellum, early sodom, poison, nme, tormento, master's hammer etc etc

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah that’s the stuff I really need to dig into more. There’s so much great poo poo.

Nice! I thought the trailer was promising aside from some weird vibes in the tonal balance but eh everything else seemed really good. I’ll have to watch it once it hits digital.

It’s digital right now on Walmarts streaming service. Me and my fiancée watched it a few weeks ago.

The fiancée liked it more than I did actually (but I DID like it quite a bit. A lot more than I expected). I took her down a metal/black metal documentary hole and we watched both of Sam Dunn’s metal documentaries, Until the Light Takes Us, Blackhearts, and listened to Last Podcast on the Left’s 3 part series on the murders and scene.

Also belly shirt euronymous makes an appearance

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

dreffen posted:

It’s digital right now on Walmarts streaming service. Me and my fiancée watched it a few weeks ago.

The fiancée liked it more than I did actually (but I DID like it quite a bit. A lot more than I expected). I took her down a metal/black metal documentary hole and we watched both of Sam Dunn’s metal documentaries, Until the Light Takes Us, Blackhearts, and listened to Last Podcast on the Left’s 3 part series on the murders and scene.

Also belly shirt euronymous makes an appearance

Oh cool thanks for the heads up, I’ll have to see if there an Apple TV app or something. The LPotL series was so good yeah. Hail yourself!

Crop top metal was the best metal tbqh

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

a good answer

Sure it's been posted here many times but there's also this blog which continues to regularly update with good RABM (and now some other related genres) - http://r-a-b-m.blogspot.com/

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
This is a pretty cool track from the next album from N'Zwaa, a local one-man group.
https://nzwaa.bandcamp.com/album/maha-kali

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
NWN released Departure Candelier's album.

It's a Napoleon concept album made by the guys in Akitsa and Ash Pool. So if you like their sound you should like this.

Good album cover too.

https://shop.nwnprod.com/products/departure-chandelier-antichrist-rise-to-power-lp

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
That’s a top tier press release

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Anyone heard of the label Via Nocturna before, or any of the bands on there?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Lifeglug posted:

Anyone heard of the label Via Nocturna before, or any of the bands on there?

No. But it's run by this guy

and has a band with a song called "Potato Troll" on their roster, so they must be quality.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Oldstench posted:

No. But it's run by this guy

and has a band with a song called "Potato Troll" on their roster, so they must be quality.

tbf Potato Troll is a great name. Then again, my other musical projects are Bellend Sebastian, The Phil Mitchell Meat Raffle and Honeybadger Gobjob, so I kinda like dumb names.

But the more I've looked, it's totally a scam. Basically I've been approached by a few people for various things, and this was probably the first contact that seemed in any way professional, but decided to try and look into poo poo before even replying to their email.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Lifeglug posted:

tbf Potato Troll is a great name. Then again, my other musical projects are Bellend Sebastian, The Phil Mitchell Meat Raffle and Honeybadger Gobjob, so I kinda like dumb names.

But the more I've looked, it's totally a scam. Basically I've been approached by a few people for various things, and this was probably the first contact that seemed in any way professional, but decided to try and look into poo poo before even replying to their email.

Why don't you submit your stuff to labels who match your music ideologically? I'm sure you already have an idea of who you'd like to work with.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Oldstench posted:

Why don't you submit your stuff to labels who match your music ideologically? I'm sure you already have an idea of who you'd like to work with.

Already have done, and am still in the process of doing so. Though I’m pretty shite at the PR side of things.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Danny LaFever posted:

NWN released Departure Candelier's album.

It's a Napoleon concept album made by the guys in Akitsa and Ash Pool. So if you like their sound you should like this.

Good album cover too.

https://shop.nwnprod.com/products/departure-chandelier-antichrist-rise-to-power-lp

perfect timing, I'm a few eps deep into the Age of Napoleon podcast and loving it

relatedly what is some good French BM that's come out recently? I haven't really paid attention to that scene since Neige was doing Amesoeurs

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

my bony fealty posted:

perfect timing, I'm a few eps deep into the Age of Napoleon podcast and loving it

relatedly what is some good French BM that's come out recently? I haven't really paid attention to that scene since Neige was doing Amesoeurs

Cenotaphe, Necropole, Palemort with the last one being French Canadian, but I recommend.

Also, Drakkar has 3 LPs out for pre-order of some of the more obscure LLN projects.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Crossposting from the Metal Megathread:

Frank Caskelot posted:

Shamelessly plugging my own band since our EP from last year just got added to Spotify and other streaming services.
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/745xJy1udG29dh6SXs5ZiI?si=zhi906kyQiaWsZuDTr35aA
Bandcamp: https://loputonsuo.bandcamp.com/

Mostly black, with hints of death and doom.

And though it's not obvious based on the lyrics (and who here can understand our moonspeak anyway), we fall into the anti-fash bm category as well.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

the new drastus album is pretty cool i reckon

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Necropole is the best French stuff to come out in a long time.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lifeglug posted:

Bellend Sebastian

I'm giggling like fool at this :lol:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Frank Caskelot posted:

And though it's not obvious based on the lyrics (and who here can understand our moonspeak anyway), we fall into the anti-fash bm category as well.

I don’t understand understand your moonspeak but I really like this. I think I posted something about it in the main thread but oh well.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Frank Caskelot posted:

Digging this quite a lot

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Frank Caskelot posted:

This is some good poo poo.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

my bony fealty posted:

It's not new strictly speaking (although if you haven't listened to French black metal since Amesoeurs...) but the last two Antaeus albums are so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

French black metal? Blut Aus Nord!