Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

General Dog posted:

I almost would’ve liked it more if the fight lasted three seconds and Obi Wan won by pulling a cheap trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeG215-yu-k&t=60s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

General Dog posted:

I think you can cut back and forth and have it be effective (as was the case in ESB and RoTJ and even TPM to a lesser extent), but it’s just too loving long and over the top either way.

I almost would’ve liked it more if the fight lasted three seconds and Obi Wan won by pulling a cheap trick.

Wouldn't really make sense as they both really, really want to fight each other at that point. Winning is secondary to venting a decade of pent up frustrations.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

This is unironically one of the best Star Wars duels

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

General Dog posted:

Plotlines established in TFA and concluded in TLJ:

Will Luke come to the aid of the Resistance?
Sort of

Will Luke train Rey?
Sort of

Will Kylo overcome his self doubt?
Yes

Is Kylo redeemable?
Until further notice, no

Who is Rey?
It doesn't matter

Who is Snoke?
It doesn't matter

Plotlines left to be completed (or started) in Episode IX:
From most to least interesting

What does Kylo even want?

What does Rey even want?

Who wins the war/is there a war/what happens to the galaxy?

So basically none? Luke is out of the picture, but could continue training as a ghost perhaps..?

The rest is just shrugs.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Captain Splendid posted:

Agreed. Pretty much everyone in the Rebels thread gushed over it. Kenobi baiting Maul into using the same strike he used to kill Qui-Gon by switching his stance was good poo poo.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Captain Splendid posted:

It might be *the* best.

Sheev vs. Maul and his bro was also great because it was just them funnily being owned for 5 minutes while trying all their bullshit. It was probably the best of the prequel style fights.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Wow that rules. Thought I was sick of all these Star Wars but tempted now.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I miss Rebels and Clone Wars. The new series just doesn’t do anything for me. I haven’t watched in a couple months.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

I miss Rebels and Clone Wars. The new series just doesn’t do anything for me. I haven’t watched in a couple months.

Same, I have absolutely no interest in it after watching a handful of episodes.

I don't feel like I'm missing much at all in the way of anything important and I'm sure it's being written that way on purpose.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I forgot the new series even existed, and this may be the first time that has happened with me.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
The new show just crossed over with The Force Awakens which is interesting, but it doesn't really have anything important going on as far as I've been able to tell.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The new show just crossed over with The Force Awakens which is interesting, but it doesn't really have anything important going on as far as I've been able to tell.

How?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

The main character watches a live holonet telecast of Hux's big Nazi speech from TFA, and then sees Starkiller Base blow up his homeworld.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Just a quick reminder that for the next 24 hours everything is bullshit. Keep your guard up.

Watto is not Rey’s uncle. And IX isn’t going to have a Force Ghost Jabba cameo.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gonz posted:

Just a quick reminder that for the next 24 hours everything is bullshit. Keep your guard up.

Watto is not Rey’s uncle. And IX isn’t going to have a Force Ghost Jabba cameo.

I mean, they released Jabba's sex tape - kinda hard to refute cold hard evidence, isn't it?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Rey is Luke’s father is NOT an April Fools however

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want to see a Jabba origin movie starring Leonard DiCaprio and directed by Marty Scoresese.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Joe Pesci as the voice of Salacious Crumb

Soundtrack listing:
- Gimme Shelter - The Rolling Stones

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Never seen them manage 5 before

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

four death stars on the edge of a cliff

the force works the same way

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
not really a spoiler, but it's celebration stuff

https://twitter.com/sinKEVitch/status/1113565426695294976

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
the kylo one is pretty cool
the vader one is trash

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I've always wondered why the concave part of the Death Star (the part that fires the turbolaser) was at its equator in that schematics video they show on Yavin IV. As we all know, it was in its northern hemisphere in reality...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Preston Waters posted:

I've always wondered why the concave part of the Death Star (the part that fires the turbolaser) was at its equator in that schematics video they show on Yavin IV. As we all know, it was in its northern hemisphere in reality...

Schematics were created before they moved it.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The schematics were based on an early matte painting that had the dish on the equator:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
That’s neat, didn’t know that. Matte paintings are amazing, like I get that movies don’t really need them anymore but what a beautiful art form.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Captain Splendid posted:

I love that Obi-Wan's killing blow is a counter to the move that killed Qui-Gon.

edit: for clarity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLLqliBa4yc

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 4, 2019

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Halloween Jack posted:

I love that Obi-Wan's killing blow is a counter to the move that killed Qui-Gon.

Poetry. Rhymes.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
lol if you see any of the lightsaber duels in the prequels and think they're even decent

they literally lack all emotion and tension that the ones in the OT held. Thankfully that's one thing JJ got right.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A muppet fighting Count Dracula with laser swords is the most Star Wars thing ever, and you're a big dumb dork.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
God rember the emotion and tension of Finn fighting that one cop

Or the long-earned thrills of Rey and Kylo chopping down all those other cops

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Mameluke posted:

unironically, yes

because the prequels were that awful

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mameluke posted:

Yeah. Both scenes ruled.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mameluke posted:

I was struggling to stay awake.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Drink a Red Bull you sleepy fuccccccckk!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The throne room brawl in The Last Jedi ranks #1 for me among all lightsaber fights in the movies. :cool:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The TLJ throne room fight would have had to hold up better under close analysis to be regarded as a classic. There are way way too many awkward red dudes milling around or swinging at nothing on the edges of the frame. As is it’s as much of a hollow fraud as the rest of the film

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

No Mods No Masters posted:

The TLJ throne room fight would have had to hold up better under close analysis to be regarded as a classic. There are way way too many awkward red dudes milling around or swinging at nothing on the edges of the frame. As is it’s as much of a hollow fraud as the rest of the film

Hard disagree. There's a lot to like about the sequence. It's visually striking in both color and structure, and the camera movement/editing captures the choreography in such an effective manner that makes it all not just look super violent, but it also feels super violent. Those hard hits and sparks spewing about are such a great addition to upping the brutality not really seen in lightsaber fights before it. The sequence as a whole is a great technical feat that showcases the hero and the villain in absolutely compelling fashion.

In context of the narrative it's even better imo, putting said hero and villain in a situation where they're working together. I love that. I love how it also conveys a contrast of characterization for Rey and Kylo through their fighting styles. Kylo Ren remaining calm and collected with measured strikes while Rey unveils an even more ferocious mirror or herself than we saw when she bested Kylo Ren on Starkiller Base. My personal favorite moments actually happen just before the brawl ensues; Rey wielding Kylo's saber was such a great character moment, and when Kylo force pulls Rey's saber into her hand after cleaving Snoke in half as the iconic music starts to swell is just pure cinematic joy.