Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ammanas posted:

leto was loving garbage in blade runner. harrison ford was lazy but leto was actively embarrassing and overacting

leto was fine (the weak point of the movie but it was a good movie) but ever since i heard that they were looking at David Bowie for the part i can't help but think of Jared Leto as a really depressing replacement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ammanas posted:

leto was loving garbage in blade runner. harrison ford was lazy but leto was actively embarrassing and overacting

The Wallace character was intentionally egotistical in an obnoxious way like that, doofus

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The thing I keep going back to in the Joker trailer is specifically how just completey gaunt Phoenix is in some of that footage

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
That Joker trailer is tremendous and I'm really excited to see the movie.

Also, did he shoot this back-to-back with Marie Magdalene? That would explain the gauntness too.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 4, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jack's Flow posted:

did he shoot this back-to-back with Marie Magdalene? That would explain the gauntness too.

Nah that was shot over two years ago. The release was delayed in America.
He Wont Get Far on Foot and Sisters Brothers were shot after that, and I don't remember him being all that skinny in 'em.

edit: I haven't seen Mary, but if he was a skinny Jesus, then losing his You Were Never Really Here bulk in a few months would've been impressive.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 4, 2019

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

You saw I Saw The Devil. Now are you ready for...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jae48OiyIyY

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This is the first comic book movie trailer I've seen since Logan that didn't look like a horrible piece of crap. I'll watch Joaquin Phoenix be weird in anything, even if it is a Joker movie.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I got Inherent Vice vibes from Joaquin Phoenix when he's sitting and smoking that cigarette

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The MSJ posted:

You saw I Saw The Devil.

I really need to find someone to rewatch that with. Totally threw me with the pacing the first time, so good.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ammanas posted:

He was barely in it and was completely inoffensive, I thought he was fine and fit the universe well? That's a pretty big over reaction.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Deakul posted:

He was barely in it and was completely inoffensive, I thought he was fine and fit the universe well? That's a pretty big over reaction.

Nah, he was pretty hammy in my opinion.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Leto's acting in BR2049 was fine but it felt like his lines were written for a completely different movie, which you could say about a lot of other characters in that film so I don't think it was his own failing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

New DePalma looks off the hook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZv4Fvv5-Hw

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Do you think they casted Carice van Houten to broaden the Game of Thrones appeal, or because she is married to Guy Pearce?

Edit: lol

quote:

According to an article from Aug. 2017, the film had "a budget of NOK 50 million [about $6 mill.], of which the Copenhagen Film Fund has contributed two million to get eight or nine [shooting] days to Copenhagen". De Palma later complained in interviews that the film was "underfunded" and shooting it was a "horrible experience" because of many delays, but it could be completed and the final result was "very good".

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
It did look cheap as poo poo. When's the last time De Palma had a major theatrically released film? Mission to Mars, maybe?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

There is only one Domino for me, and it's Tony Scott's masterpiece.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's a bit rude that they didn't credit the black guy, who looks to be the second lead.
I might be there for some elaborate camera-crane movements.

I know half/most of these are tax funds for various countries, but this is a lot of logos.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 4, 2019

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Teenage Fansub posted:

I know half/most of these are tax funds for various countries, but this is a lot of logos.

It's like the EU of film funds.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's a bit rude that they didn't credit the black guy, who looks to be the second lead.

I'm belgian tax shelter

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Reminds me of a Gaspar Noe title card.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

De Palma posted:

“‘Domino’ is not my project, I did not write the script,” he said. “It is the revenge story of a revenge of a cop duo against terrorists who killed another. But the whole political aspect will be very little exploited, the film was more for me a new opportunity to explore a visual narrative. In the film, terrorists are obsessed with the idea that their actions are instantly visible live on the Internet or on TV.”

“I had a lot of problems in financing [‘Domino’],” he continued. “I never experienced such a horrible movie set. A large part of our team has not even been paid yet by the Danish producers. The film is finished and ready to go out, but I have no idea what its future will hold, it is currently in the hands of the producers. This was my first experience in Denmark and most likely my last.”

AV Club rumors De Palma's 148-minute cut got chopped down to 88. Now I'm kinda interested in the mess?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Vagabundo posted:

It did look cheap as poo poo. When's the last time De Palma had a major theatrically released film? Mission to Mars, maybe?

The Black Dahlia was his last movie to get a wide release.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Less is more. Except all the times it isn't. But I've never liked Miles Teller, so it's true in his case.

I liked Whiplash a lot but really wished it was someone besides Miles Teller. Something about him really rubs me the wrong way and even though I like Refn a lot I'm not sure I can watch this much of Miles.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I never really got the Teller hate, but he probably won't talk much and just from the trailer he seems fine at the macho cool vogueing thing Refn goes for

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

morestuff posted:

I never really got the Teller hate, but he probably won't talk much and just from the trailer he seems fine at the macho cool vogueing thing Refn goes for

I can't speak for anyone else but I feel like he always looks like the area around his eyes is swollen. As if he's mildly allergic to his own existence. Tye Sheridan, too. That said, I don't hate him and will totally check this out when it's released.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

punch drunk posted:

I liked Whiplash a lot but really wished it was someone besides Miles Teller. Something about him really rubs me the wrong way and even though I like Refn a lot I'm not sure I can watch this much of Miles.

The guy’s face just annoys me. I have a very visceral dislike towards it. He’s a good enough actor though.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Ah. I call that the Paul Dano Effect.

Undeniably talented, I enjoy everything he does, I just wanna shove his smug face through a window.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I can’t bag on anyone for hating on Miles Teller, who I like, because I have a similar dislike of Emile Hirsch for no discernible reason.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I can’t bag on anyone for hating on Miles Teller, who I like, because I have a similar dislike of Emile Hirsch for no discernible reason.
He does beat up women if that makes you feel any better.

If you wanna real enjoyment to scumbag ratio that eats me up inside: my favorite character actor is Jeffrey Jones. :smith:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 5, 2019

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

Ah. I call that the Paul Dano Effect.

Undeniably talented, I enjoy everything he does, I just wanna shove his smug face through a window.

Dano’s got a weird face but I think it works for him.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

punch drunk posted:

Teller having a punchable face is part of what makes Whiplash good imo

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Casting Miles Teller as Reed Richards was inspired since according to Marvel all Reeds not from Earth-616 are supervillains.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Teller has this look where I expect him to be the bad guy. I wouldn't let him babysit my kids.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/rysimmons/status/1113464764859068421

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

For the first 10 seconds I thought it was going to be about Antman inside Thanos' anus.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Peak punchable Miles Teller has to be his role in the Divergent movies. In each of the three he is a smug bully who will take the first opportunity to betray and/or gently caress over the main characters. And yet even in the third movie he still finds a way to insert himself into their party. And ends up siding with the bad guys. Once again.

Such a guilty pleasure that series of movies. It’s a shame there never was a fourth movie or a television series where they get so sick of his poo poo they suddenly shoot him point blank and don’t even dwell on it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

lunar detritus posted:

For the first 10 seconds I thought it was going to be about Antman inside Thanos' anus.

Well, if Ant-Man can find the keys they can drive those two Staples lorries out of there.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

this is likely a superior piece of media to avengers endgame

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That was a hype trailer ngl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
The Divergent movies had Teller AND Ansel Elgort. They went all out to find unlikeable people there.