Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Break out is super cool, but I faded out of it at the prospect of mandatory Botania. Love you Botania but I've done you to death.

I've never done botania because I've always thought it was too much of a pain to figure it out. I went the thermal expansion route first though cause I know it backwards and forwards, and it's not too bad to churn through pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Too skyblocky for me. Part of the reason to play Regrowth in the first place is that it isn't Yet Another Skyblock Pack.

On an unrelated note, I'm so happy I knew about the Ring of Chordata for this playthrough. It makes the mandatory Mariculture section of the pack so much easier. It even has a goofy mod interaction with the Mariculture diving suit boots where you can swim super, super fast, but you can't really turn directions unless you come to a complete stop.

Well I was still near the land, just far enough away that the millions of zombies and skeletons and witches and poo poo that spawn at night couldn't get me. Seeing a wide-open base on land makes me really nervous. The mainland was somewhere I went when I was strong enough to handle it, heh.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Black Pants posted:

Well I was still near the land, just far enough away that the millions of zombies and skeletons and witches and poo poo that spawn at night couldn't get me. Seeing a wide-open base on land makes me really nervous. The mainland was somewhere I went when I was strong enough to handle it, heh.

Ah, I guess that makes sense. I just stayed up on nights until I had enough string to make a bed. Now I just sleep through every night. Ain't no thang.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

OniPanda posted:

I've never done botania because I've always thought it was too much of a pain to figure it out. I went the thermal expansion route first though cause I know it backwards and forwards, and it's not too bad to churn through pretty quick.

Yeah, that was my first stop to get actual power generation through magmatic dynamos and cobblegen->crucible feeds. You need to do all four mods to break the next layer, though, so I lost the drive after I cleared the TE side.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I think you can make collector crystals with that. It doesn't HAVE to be a 900/100/100, but that'll make it go faster.

You also don't need to use garden cloches to grow your pumpkins, you can just let them grow from the vine. I had two crystals converting ten possible pumpkin spawn points and, when feeding into a large reservoir of mana pools, was able to build up a healthy amount of mana while doing other stuff.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

MaliciousOnion posted:

You also don't need to use garden cloches to grow your pumpkins, you can just let them grow from the vine. I had two crystals converting ten possible pumpkin spawn points and, when feeding into a large reservoir of mana pools, was able to build up a healthy amount of mana while doing other stuff.

Yeah, you can grow em however you want. Cloches are just the most braindead and overpowered way to do it. :v:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if, instead of especially tough mobs, common acid rain like in Astroblock has would be punishing enough to encourage people to be creative with how they build and force them largely underground/underwater, without just pissing people off...

Hm, maybe no mobs spawn at all, even. That's an idea.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 4, 2019

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Unless the acid rain could eat through stuff - which would create tons of lag and probably be unfun - all you'd have to do would be a halfslab roof over your area which would both block spawns and the rain. If you're going to force people underground/water you'd have to design your pack around caveworlds or waterworlds. And a waterworld pack without a surface would be amazing thinking about it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Black Pants posted:

I wonder if, instead of especially tough mobs, common acid rain like in Astroblock has would be punishing enough to encourage people to be creative with how they build and force them largely underground/underwater, without just pissing people off...

There was a modpack where the surface became too hot to live on in three days, so you had to move underground. I can't remember the name of it, though. I think it was the guy who made Sink Into Madness?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rynoto posted:

Unless the acid rain could eat through stuff - which would create tons of lag and probably be unfun - all you'd have to do would be a halfslab roof over your area which would both block spawns and the rain. If you're going to force people underground/water you'd have to design your pack around caveworlds or waterworlds. And a waterworld pack without a surface would be amazing thinking about it.

Just spawn water up past the build limit. Done. Actually there was a modpack that was totally underwater but it wasn't very good. "In the Sea"

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rynoto posted:

No it doesn't eat through stuff, would just necessitate having a structure with a roof. Current plan is to have no mobs spawn except MatterOverdrive androids and maybe thematically-appropriate modded mobs. I don't want the world to be deadly but I want it to be desolate and oppressive. I'll see how it goes though.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

There's that mod in Exoria where the rain poisons you. Maybe that'd do it? Is that the same mod?

Yep, https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/toxicrain

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 4, 2019

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

There's that mod in Exoria where the rain poisons you. Maybe that'd do it? Is that the same mod?

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch

Black Pants posted:

I've been trying to make that tornados mod work for something like things, but you need to be a particular sort of lunatic to enjoy that playstyle.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
The only minecraft tornado mod I've seen was kindof lovely because it always aimed the tornados directly at you. Also it ignored glass ceilings and presumably every other transparent block, meaning if anything ever needed a view of the sun it was impossible to protect it from tornados.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Falcon2001 posted:

I can confirm that this works and I did literally that exact thing for mine. You can also use BC Fluid pipes and the game quest line tells you to...but gently caress that, fluid hoppers are a ton better, and then use fluid pipes from IE.

i dicked about with the fuild pipes. The way i read the quest i can suck up water using just that?

Anyhow, ive got my water well with fluid hopper attached and my cloches are sometimes working..........

Though i think thats due to my dodgy wiring ><

Now ot build another distilation tower or two to get out of age 3. Please tell me i get diamond next age

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Evil Mastermind posted:

There was a modpack where the surface became too hot to live on in three days, so you had to move underground. I can't remember the name of it, though. I think it was the guy who made Sink Into Madness?

Wasn't that one called 'Solar Apocalypse'?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Given the idea of "unblocked view of the sky directly above is deadly", are there any mods that allow extending overhead cover without having to venture into the uncovered area? Satisfactory lets one do this fairly easily since aiming at the far side of the underneath of a foundation block lets you place more foundation on the far side, but I haven't seen anything similar in Minecraft (yet).

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ambaire posted:

Given the idea of "unblocked view of the sky directly above is deadly", are there any mods that allow extending overhead cover without having to venture into the uncovered area? Satisfactory lets one do this fairly easily since aiming at the far side of the underneath of a foundation block lets you place more foundation on the far side, but I haven't seen anything similar in Minecraft (yet).

Building Gadgets.

e: also Similsax Transtructors

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch

McFrugal posted:

The only minecraft tornado mod I've seen was kindof lovely because it always aimed the tornados directly at you. Also it ignored glass ceilings and presumably every other transparent block, meaning if anything ever needed a view of the sun it was impossible to protect it from tornados.

Pretty sure that's the one, though you can turn off the player-seeking storms. I didn't know about the ignoring transparent blocks though, that is pretty terrific.

I combined it with a gravestones mod that let zombies spawn on gravestones but not elsewhere on the surface. The intended gameplay loop was to keep a village functional and alive despite periodic killstorms that might result in unseen spawners being created when villagers get killed.

It kinda worked?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Krakatoah posted:

Wasn't that one called 'Solar Apocalypse'?
Yup, that was it. Looks like there isn't a post 1.6 version though.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Forever Stranded's temperature behavior mimic'd this - you'd get overheated in sunlight and cold in darkness, so you wanted to build a climate controlled indoors eventually with proper hydration....Difficulty in that pack may have meant people missed it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Anias posted:

Forever Stranded's temperature behavior mimic'd this - you'd get overheated in sunlight and cold in darkness, so you wanted to build a climate controlled indoors eventually with proper hydration....Difficulty in that pack may have meant people missed it.

My favorite part about that is that there was a chisel and bits lava leak in the back of the spaceship that would actually cool you down if you stood in it, because it was considered water.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

OniPanda posted:

After bouncing off a couple quest packs, I've found I really like Break Out.

Started playing this after OniPanda mentioned it - is there any way to automate the wooden crucibles? I stuck a hoppered bonsai on a chest and stuck that on a hopper above a wooden crucible and that's not doing anything.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Patware posted:

Started playing this after OniPanda mentioned it - is there any way to automate the wooden crucibles? I stuck a hoppered bonsai on a chest and stuck that on a hopper above a wooden crucible and that's not doing anything.

Most likely what it's trying to do is insert whatever is in the leftmost slot of the hopper into the crucible and failing. Try inserting just the leaves into the hopper manually and see if that works.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Nope, tried that, tried filling all the slots, didn't care.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
those hoppers look kinda like they're pointed into the wall, make sure you're looking into the top of the barrel when you place them (you may need to hold "shift" while doing this)

e: i can tell because there should be one additional little square on the bottom of the hopper which is a "nozzle" indicating what block it's outputting into and i can't see it, which means you probably have them pointing into the wall

e2: pulled an example off of google, it should look like the left hopper but you've done the right (with the nozzle pointing into the wall where we can't see it)

President Ark fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 5, 2019

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i actually just hit the next pickaxe level so i'm tearing everything down, but that's probably what i did now that i look at my picture again

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

I actually never got around to making the bonsai thing, I grew just enough trees the hard way and crucibled leaves manually to last me until I got an aqueous accumulator and a phytogenic insolator :downs:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Cool update: when I didnt place the hoppers like q child playing with his first legos it worked

It's a little clunky, the hoppers still suck up the wood/sticks/apples and need to be cleared out periodically

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Patware posted:

Cool update: when I didnt place the hoppers like q child playing with his first legos it worked

It's a little clunky, the hoppers still suck up the wood/sticks/apples and need to be cleared out periodically

It didn't occur to me to use hoppers on the bonsais instead of trying to make hopping bonsais (and eventually just cheating them in because gently caress that)
My setup dealt with the multiple item types by having them feed into a 2x2 void upgrade drawer. Oak trees have five drops though.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Oh, no, they're hopping bonsais. The hoppers are on buffer crates because I didn't want the wood/sticks/apples to just vanish into the aether. I'm sure putting a regular bonsai on a hopper will do nothing, since regular bonsais need interaction.

The bonsais themselves are way more of a pain in the rear end than the hopping conversion.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hey, what are some QOL mods that you all like but maybe aren't so well known? Whether they add things or change things or whatever, just relatively minor mods that you think are neat and useful.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Black Pants posted:

Hey, what are some QOL mods that you all like but maybe aren't so well known? Whether they add things or change things or whatever, just relatively minor mods that you think are neat and useful.

• Backpacks! is a simple, customizable, all-purpose backpack mod for dealing with all the new items a modpack will invariably add, and has some neat features like ender-style backpacks so you can share things to another player in the field, and a backpack recoverer for if you accidentally drop yours into lava/off the void/in a Thaumcraft cauldron.
  • Better Builder's Wands works as a nice build-assist tool for anything larger than a small house. Mostly just removes tedium. Also vital on any skyblock. There's several mods like this but this is probably my favorite.
  • Carry On lets you pick up chests, most machines, and mobs to move them around easily, optionally with a slow debuff while carrying. Really good for everything from simple reorganizing to moving bases. Since having to transfer chests (or even relocate them to a different spot in the room) is one of the biggest obstacles and more daunting prospects when it comes to reorganizing, redecorating, or relocating, stuff like this helps immensely. Makes it way less of a chore.
  • Fast Leaf Decay isn't necessarily "lesser known" but it is vital enough to include anyway, and any time a big modpack doesn't have it or a mod like it I instantly question its quality.
  • Fence Jumper probably fits the bill to your question better than any other. It just lets you, the player, able to jump over fences. Everything else is still prevented, but you can hop them easily. No half-steps or exploits required. Makes farms and protections so much easier to use.
  • A lot of mods will offer this but I can't live without the chunk border and light level views of More Overlays, at least to help make sure my base is properly lit.
  • No Nausea removes the nausea debuff visual effect if you can't handle it, and can optionally replace it with reversed controls or other things to compensate.
  • Redstone Paste is a really lightweight and simple mod that lets you put redstone down really precisely, including on walls and ceilings. Finer control also means you can have two adjacent squares of redstone that don't connect. Makes simple devices a lot more compact to build.
  • Simple Harvest is useful if you don't have Pam's Harvestcraft installed. It simply adds the ability to right-click grown crops to harvest and instantly replant them.
  • Swing Through Grass lets you attack enemies even if tall grass is between you. Normally a click like that would break the grass but not hit the enemy, which makes fighting spiders in grassy fields frustratingly dangerous. A simple fix that should probably be in vanilla.
  • Flux Networks is a super-simple mod used for flux/electric-powered mods. Extremely simple batteries and wireless energy transmission, such that you can just run everything off one main power line and plug things in anywhere. Great if you're like me and don't like setting up massive or long-range wiring systems.
  • Nether Portal Fix helps fix MC's vanilla nether portal weirdness, ensuring that even if nether portals are in range, returning through the same portal will always bring you back where you started -- not to some third portal nearby.
  • Finally a couple of utility mods to help manage or troubleshoot servers, like LagGoggles for determining what's causing lag/slowdown and what your most troublesome mods are, and Mod Name Tooltip to know what mod each item/mob comes from.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Building Gadgets is really good for building and deleting terrain, as well as copy/pasting blocks.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm sad whenever a pack doesn't have Carry On

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

No idea if these are lesser known or not, but if you’re messing around with your own personal modpack I highly recommend World Handler and World Stripper. Much easier to swap between creative and survival, set the time, turn off weather, etc when you can just press a hotkey and click a button. World Stripper is pretty much essential for checking your ore distribution.

Also Toast Control because the game will not shut up without it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I remembered some more.

Controlling gives you the ability to search keybinds by mod or category, as well as keybind. Very useful for fixing keybind conflicts.

Tip The Scales makes the UI scale option a slider, which makes it easier to adjust, especially since it starts you at the largest setting and the first click pushes you to the smallest setting, which is like Minecraft for :anttony:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the suggestions. Any other suggestions for things to add to a largely lowish-tech magic-leaning pack (See: Regrowth) would be welcome too.

It's diverging a fair bit of course, and I've got a whole story thing going on, but I hope I can have it capture the same atmosphere. And be compelling in a similar way.

Edit: I don't really want to put Buildcraft, Forestry or Railcraft into this so it's feeling a little anaemic in the gaps between the major mods and I'm unsure of how I want to fill them yet. It's got IE for early-game and Mekanism, AE2 and MatterOverdrive for late game, MystAg+Agricraft for resources, and then Botania, Thaumcraft, Blood Magic and Astral Sorcery for the major solving-of-problems.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 8, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

• Fast Leaf Decay isn't necessarily "lesser known" but it is vital enough to include anyway, and any time a big modpack doesn't have it or a mod like it I instantly question its quality.
Fast Leaf is allegedly left out of some packs because on servers it can mess with TPS under certain, player-created scenarios. I agree no fast leaf decay sucks. Even lots of vanilla servers have fast leaf decay through server side plugins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Khorne posted:

Fast Leaf is allegedly left out of some packs because on servers it can mess with TPS under certain, player-created scenarios.
Tree farms?