Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

oddium posted:

should fansubs use the english or japanese character names

my name

they should all use my name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Torterra is an ankylosaurus, a world turtle and a world tree all at once. Enough said.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The next Pokemon game should let me eat every Pokemon. Even god. Especially god

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

hopeandjoy posted:

Which is the best starter, and why is it Oshawott?

Oshawott’s okay but the best is clearly Totodile

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Who's your favourite character?

Wrong answer, it's Barry.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Crosspeice posted:

Who's your favourite character?

Wrong answer, it's Dawn.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

My favorite character is Guzma, and if that answer is wrong I don't want to be right :colbert:

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

The only character is geodude.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZsOwo9rhsQ

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

My favorite character is Guzma, and if that answer is wrong I don't want to be right :colbert:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

hopeandjoy posted:

Which is the best starter, and why is it Oshawott Blaziken?

Bitch, please.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

The best character was Ash's Bulbasaur.

The current best Character is Kiawe's Marowak.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Let's say I give in to madness and try to breed some Pokémon with good IVs. How do I even know what IVs my new hatches have? Don't the games go out of their way to avoid letting you know?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

The best starter is gulpin.

edit: IVs are hidden. Good luck, bub.

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 5, 2019

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I wish they’d innovate on the starters’ types. No reason we can’t get a psychic, fighting, dark trio.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Has anyone read Adventures? Which was your favorite part?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

The part where the jigglypuff woman stole everyone’s stuff was pretty great.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Vegetable posted:

I wish they’d innovate on the starters’ types. No reason we can’t get a psychic, fighting, dark trio.

X/Y had that, but I think Water/Grass/Fire is probably the easiest way to introduce type matchups to new players with unevolved starters.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Vegetable posted:

We kinda did with the Kalos starters.

However, the main reason why the starters always start off as grass, fire and water is that they act as a tutorial for how Pokémon's main battle mechanic, type match-ups work. It's easy to explain why these three interact with each other: plant-life can easily catch fire and burn, fire is extinguished by water and water is absorbed by plants. You can't easily explain why fighting is strong against dark types but fall to psychics to someone who has no idea what Pokémon even is.

Not to mention that it isn't a perfect type triangle as dark is immune to psychic moves rather then just taking less damage, which tips balance towards dark.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The monkey trio in Gen 5 would have been way cooler if it was a different triangle than just the starters again.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

Let's say I give in to madness and try to breed some Pokémon with good IVs. How do I even know what IVs my new hatches have? Don't the games go out of their way to avoid letting you know?

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Individual_values#Evaluation

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

In gen 7, there's an NPC who gives you the ability to see whether a pokemon's IVs are perfect, good, bad, etc. You can't see the exact value, but if you're trying for perfection, it's enough. You need to hatch a certain number of eggs and then talk to this dude at the Battle Tree.

If that all sounds like a hassle, you can use Hyper Training instead.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

In gen 7, there's an NPC who gives you the ability to see whether a pokemon's IVs are perfect, good, bad, etc. You can't see the exact value, but if you're trying for perfection, it's enough. You need to hatch a certain number of eggs and then talk to this dude at the Battle Tree.

If that all sounds like a hassle, you can use Hyper Training instead.

Keep in mind that even reaching the NPC requires going through Poni Gauntlet and fighting one of the two trainers when you enter the Battle Tree.

Later games make IV checking more transparent in-game, but that's usually reserved for when you've finished like 95 percent of the story including some postgame story stuff.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

Has anyone read Adventures? Which was your favorite part?
Either the part where Giovanni nearly kills Ash with a Beedrill or anything with Blue (Green) because I liked her character.

oddium posted:

should fansubs use the english or japanese character names
I'm for Japanese when it comes to character names because those are said more frequently and there are plenty that are exclusive to the anime so you're gonna get characters with no English equivalent anyway. May as well use the names people are going to hear so they can get used to associating them with the characters early on. Plus I barely remember the character names from the games anyway, you don't spend a ton of time with any of them so they tend to be forgettable.

I'm pro US Pokemon and Move Names for the sake of localization. I understand wanting to keep the Japanese references and jokes in there but unless the viewer understands Japanese the majority of it will go right over their head regardless. Or it'll be confusing most of the time except for the instances when the name pun is relevant and then they'll be able to go "oh I see, that's the joke." It still won't be funny because you had to explain it so you've really gained nothing by forcing its inclusion.

For example, I love the way Lt. Surge talks in the original text, it's a ridiculous mix of Japanese and English to really hammer home his American-ness. But I only know that and I can only enjoy that because I can read the Japanese. There is absolutely no way to convey the same thing in English and it'd just sound stupid as hell if you kept it as-is and included translator notes, so him talking like an army dude is just fine. He's still loud and obnoxious so it gets his character across. It can't always be 1-to-1 in translation, languages are too different, so the best you can do it make sure as much as possible makes sense and entertains the viewer.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I like the japanese names because you get things like the fushigidane festival, where a giant fushigibana screams “We’re Mysterious!” and a crowd of a million fushigidanes say in unison “We Know, Right?”

In english they just say “saur!”. So boring.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
We need an Ice starter so we can have a definitive worst starter.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Nasgate posted:

We need an Ice starter so we can have a definitive worst starter.

But Chikorita already exists. An Ice starter would still be good since ice moves are still extremely useful to have.

You can't say the same for grass and Chikorita has it the worst in its debut game where 5 of the gyms are either super effective against the type or are resistant to grass moves (or both!) while a sixth still takes half damage due to the fact that they're all part poison. Not to mention that Team Rocket also gives the line trouble.

The only time it manages to shine is a few of the Kanto gyms but by then you should have a well-rounded team and don't need to rely on your starter any longer.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 5, 2019

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It is, however, a happy Solarbeam dino in Colosseum, where it's a pro pick due to general double strategies.

But yeah, I've used Chikorita in both Gen 2 and 4, wasn't too amazing, not gonna lie.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

BattleCattle posted:

I like the japanese names because you get things like the fushigidane festival, where a giant fushigibana screams “We’re Mysterious!” and a crowd of a million fushigidanes say in unison “We Know, Right?”

In english they just say “saur!”. So boring.
It's a cute scene in Japanese. But if you don't know Japanese the scene is effectively the same, just Pokemon yelling at each other. If the viewer is told through subtitles and translator notes what they are "saying" and that Bulbasaur's name is doing double duty as "weird seed" and "weird innit" then yeah maybe it can be mildly amusing but either way a non-Japanese speaker is getting nowhere near enough from the scene to justify leaving the Fushigis as is.

also i would translate it as,

"I'm a weird flower!"

"And how!"

Because I assume Rejected references are still cromulent in 2019.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Crosspeice posted:

It is, however, a happy Solarbeam dino in Colosseum, where it's a pro pick due to general double strategies.

Colosseum was a weird experiment of a Pokémon game since you're given an extremely limited number of Pokémon. Due to the lack of battles, you have 52 Pokémon at your disposal and you couldn't catch more if you were unlucky and they had low IVs or something.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Do you think Team Rocket have to pay to get their white uniforms laundered, or can they charge it back to the organisation?

You know how some grunts wear black?

Those uniforms didn't start out black.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I blame 4kids for making nerds whine about CENSORSHIP IN MUH ANIMES over some localizations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Funky Valentine posted:

I can't believe how they screwed up with their rivals - come on, "Biff and Cassidy"?

I'm not sure if I'm missing a joke, but they're Butch and Cassidy.

Violet_Sky posted:

I blame 4kids for making nerds whine about CENSORSHIP IN MUH ANIMES over some localizations.

Fun thing is they got blacklisted after the One Piece dub failed and apparently later got sued over not paying royalties to IP owners and went broke.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

The Assassination of Jesse, James, by the Coward’s Butch, Cassidy

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 5, 2019

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fun thing is they got blacklisted after the One Piece dub failed and apparently later got sued over not paying royalties to IP owners and went broke.

They're still around, lol. It's kind of a confusing mess but the long and short of it is they became 4K Media, then got bought by Konami, and then recently got renamed to Konami Cross Media NY.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

While calling localization censorship is extremely stupid so is calling a rice ball a jelly donut. Who can say who is really in the wrong here

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mandatory lesbian posted:

While calling localization censorship is extremely stupid so is calling a rice ball a jelly donut. Who can say who is really in the wrong here

There's a preeetty thin line there, especially with how many shows had LGBT characters and themes stripped out of them. And continue to do so, in places like Britain.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a preeetty thin line there, especially with how many shows had LGBT characters and themes stripped out of them. And continue to do so, in places like Britain.

Sure but the people we're talking about are the people who get mad when boobs get toned down or whatever, not censorship that actually matters like LGBT erasure

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Pokemon names are meant to be like specific names for animals/plants. Leaving them untranslated would be like a translation calling dogs inu or cats neko or other poo poo like that. That's my take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Can you really not chain for the fossil pokes in LGPE, boo

(the real "boo" is the lack of a GTS so I can't get version exclusives/trade evos without talking to other people oh god)