Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

If it’s any comfort, Teams also sucks on Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Weedle posted:

I am largely indifferent. It does what I need it to like 99% of the time.

There is one exception. Why the hell does does it not keep the chat history loaded, and why the gently caress does it take so long to fetch it? Makes scrolling up almost impossible.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Thanatosian posted:

I feel like HR is universally pretty terrible. Like, the place I work at now has the best HR I've ever worked with, and I would describe it as "meets expectations."

One of the Steve Jobs quotes that's almost constantly rattling around in my head is, "I've never met one of you who didn't suck. I've never known an HR person who had anything but a mediocre mentality."

100% true in my experience :\

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Weedle posted:

Cisco tried desperately to jam this down our throats. Unless you're talking about the same-named product from Microsoft because jeez.

Inspector_666 posted:

Getting DEP and Jamf set up and working properly eliminates like 90% of the complaints I have about Macs in a corp environment, it really is low effort once that's done. And most of the remaining problems are software idiosyncrasies that we expect our users to be able to figure out since they requested a MacBook in the first place.

100% this. Properly set up, Jamf is amazing and makes our Mac community far lower effort than the Windows side. I mean part of that is that we refuse to put the proper effort into the Windows side, but Mac users just.... don't call us anymore. It just works. :smug:

AlexDeGruven posted:

More expense, more expertise, and the OSX version of Teams is an utter circus-park dumpster fire.

The expense for us is offset by a much longer device lifecycle. Also, depending on what you're buying, the expense difference is waaaay overblown.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 4, 2019

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

One of the Steve Jobs quotes that's almost constantly rattling around in my head is, "I've never met one of you who didn't suck. I've never known an HR person who had anything but a mediocre mentality."

100% true in my experience :\

Even that rear end in a top hat could be right.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Weedle posted:

Forced switching from skype/slack to teams is 30% of the reason I'm getting a new job.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Teams is good, it is certainly 100x better than Skype and at least as good as Slack.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

The Fool posted:

Teams is good, it is certainly 100x better than Skype and at least as good as Slack.

No goof question:

Microsoft Teams or Cisco Teams?

I refuse to believe that the chain of Office Communicator -> Lync -> Skype(for business!!!) could possibly lead to anything except yet another example of a half-assed market-chaser of a product that gets to about 80% of being decent but is then mysteriously abandoned to languish until it gets rebooted again.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Microsoft Teams

I'll admit that Teams had a rocky start, but the only thing Teams has from Skype is the voice calling back-end. The client and the messaging back-end are all new.

The the way teams (lowercase t) are structured take some getting used to, but it is a way better way of integrating files and other products in a manner that is conducive to collaboration than I have seen on any other communication platform.

I still like the way Slack handles threaded conversations better though, that's my only quibble at this point.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

MIcrosoft Teams is way better than skype in my opinion (we do not do any VOIP over Teams though), it does leave some to be desired, contacts list and conversation history could be handled better, otherwise it's a perfectly good product.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
MS Teams is at 2+ years of "actively working" on the very complicated and difficult feature of listing the users that are in a chat channel. To be fair, there's absolutely no precedent of this type of feature ever existing or being a core part of the interface of every chat application in the last 30 years or anything.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Hargrimm posted:

MS Teams is at 2+ years of "actively working" on the very complicated and difficult feature of listing the users that are in a chat channel. To be fair, there's absolutely no precedent of this type of feature ever existing or being a core part of the interface of every chat application in the last 30 years or anything.

I think maybe they just haven't updated that? It's definitely working... Unless it's refering to something else, but if you click into the chat, directly under the chat name is a "X participants" hyper-link looking thing, if you mouse over it, you will see who is in the chat.

I mean, you can even see who is in each Team you are a member of if you do a little clicking.

Maybe I'm the idiot and I don't understand what the feature request is, but pretty loving sure it's already implemented. Also through both sections you can see who is online/away/whatever, but I am dubious of that information in every product.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 4, 2019

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Hargrimm posted:

Just click on members for the team the channel is in?

Since channels and teams currently have 1:1 membership, I don't see the problem.

However, there is an upcoming update that will allow channels to have membership somewhat independent of the team as a whole. If they don't have a way to list channel membership then, I'd be very surprised.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The Fool posted:

Teams is good,

False.

The Fool posted:

it is certainly 100x better than Skype

I'll give you that one. S4B was a shitfest and a half.

The Fool posted:

and at least as good as Slack.

:fuckoff: Slack > HipChat > Just yelling across the office > not having any communication at all > email > Teams > S4B

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Look at this opinion from 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ConfusedUs posted:

I am largely indifferent. It does what I need it to like 99% of the time.

There is one exception. Why the hell does does it not keep the chat history loaded, and why the gently caress does it take so long to fetch it? Makes scrolling up almost impossible.

If it's one thing I've learned about chat it's that you should never scroll up anyway.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

AlexDeGruven posted:

I'll give you that one. S4B was a shitfest and a half.

Except the MacOS client is worse. It's two full shitfests at least.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

AlternateAccount posted:

The expense for us is offset by a much longer device lifecycle. Also, depending on what you're buying, the expense difference is waaaay overblown.

Mac laptops have historically had a much longer lifecycle, that helps a lot. What's really driving ac adoption on campus is reliability. For 2017 the MacBook Pros had a quarter of the downtime per-capita than the HP Elitebooks. Add in a really well done JAMF setup and the Macs represent a significantly smaller fraction of service tickets than their numbers on-campus would suggest.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Bring back Sametime.

Fake edit: no don't, just give me gif support and sane conversation logging

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm on pretty good terms with the IT people at my company and I campaigned for Discord to replace Hipchat, which I know was impossible. Teams is dreadful and I really wish we could necro Hipchat.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

how the gently caress does anyone think discord is an acceptable communication platform for a business

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Fool posted:

how the gently caress does anyone think discord is an acceptable communication platform for a business

It's basically Decentralized Gamer Slack, so I could see someone preferring to use it instead of a bad business-branded alternative.

Though yeah, I wouldn't discuss anything secure in it, nor use it for file sharing.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Has anyone that says Teams is bad actually used Teams recently?

It's really not that loving bad, SfB was worse, stop being babies about things changing.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I see none of you are bitching about using Google Chat :colbert:

...you're lucky you're not using Google Chat. It loving sucks.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

We're totally at the point that if you're using Google anything you're probably hating, right? They can't support jack.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My favourite part of Microsoft Teams is my boss saying "wow this is great, we should be using this" a full year after I pitched it to him, then proceeding to complain about how we "have too many ways to communicate and should just decide on one" while pinging me with memes in Teams and somehow opening three concurrent SfB group IMs involving our whole team to discuss one issue.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

LethalGeek posted:

We're totally at the point that if you're using Google anything you're probably hating, right? They can't support jack.

The problem with relying on Google for stuff like that is that whoever does the product management has an attention span of about five seconds. So they might announce something at I/O that sounds great and the demo is promising, then be about six months late with a public beta, then launch a really barebones version a few months after that, and never refresh or speak about the feature ever again.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Thanks Ants posted:

The problem with relying on Google for stuff like that is that whoever does the product management has an attention span of about five seconds. So they might announce something at I/O that sounds great and the demo is promising, then be about six months late with a public beta, then launch a really barebones version a few months after that, and never refresh or speak about the feature ever again.

Or they'll announce a new, hot replacement for the last new hot product they released, and then let die on the vine. Only that one will only fix half of what was wrong with the previous product, will introduce new and exciting failures in another area, and they will roll it out in graduated phases so half the company is on one product that's not QUITE backwards compatible.

In other words, gently caress Hangouts and gently caress Chat.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ah yeah like when they iterated on Sheets and had 'old' and 'new' spreadsheet files, with the way to get new features being copying and pasting the contents between two documents.

Things like "can I have numbers that aren't only in the US for Hangouts Meet without being on an Enterprise plan" seem to be totally alien to them. I opened a feature request to just provide a SIP endpoint so I could route one of our spare numbers into their service and the request got deleted because I had apparently posted material that was under an NDA. Two year later, no closer to any sort of integration. Even Microsoft let you bring your own voice service to Teams.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 5, 2019

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

A ticket (phone call) came in: My computer isn't waking up. It updated last night and now it won't turn on.

Sure enough, the computer was on but the monitors were blank, doesn't respond to keypress or mouse. Reset button, computer comes back to login screen. Still doesn't respond to keypress or mouse. Lock key lights don't turn on. Huh.
Reseat USB cables, no change. Power cycle, no change. Keyboard and mouse work in BIOS, exit BIOS to Windows, stop working. Try different keyboards, no change. Try a PS/2 keyboard, no change (except the numlock light stays on and won't turn off). Boot from a USB stick with the Windows installer. Keyboard doesn't work. Unplug everything internally and externally except the bare minimum, no change. Our PXE boot server is broken, so can't test with that. Keyboard still works inside the UEFI shell it offers as a boot option.

Remove half the RAM and leave it all in one channel, works once, but after testing other channel/RAM pairings, it stops working. Try one stick in each channel, and it works consistently. Ok, looks like there's something funky with the memory controller. Find the setting in BIOS to turn dual channel off, reinstall all four DIMMs, everything's just fine. Take it back to the user and get her back up. Recommend to our tech admins order a new computer since something is obviously failing and it might not last.

Get a call again this morning, and it's doing it again. Still running in unlinked mode, keyboard and mouse only start working again when I actually remove the second module in each channel. New computer ordered.

Weirdest drat thing I've seen in a while.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm thinking faulty power supply. Try replacing it with a known good unit and see how it behaves.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I'm thinking faulty power supply. Try replacing it with a known good unit and see how it behaves.

Wouldn't that be a more consistent failure at boot or heavy app load though?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wouldn't that be a more consistent failure at boot or heavy app load though?
In my experience failing PSUs are one of the biggest sources of heisenbugs because of all the subtle ways that the other hardware can be fixed.
It's gotten to the point that "It's always the PSU" for helldesk/sysadmin is the equivalent of "It's always DNS" for network admins.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

The internet just went down briefly in our office after a consultant did a thing that didn't work. After he and the sysadmin got everything working again (after like 5 minutes of downtime), sure enough 3 messages all appear at once in our Skype groupchat:

:v: the internet is down
:cheeky: [sysadmin] is working on our internet being broken
:cheeky: ok the internet is back now

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

null_pointer posted:

Bring back Sametime.

Fake edit: no don't, just give me gif support and sane conversation logging

IBM still uses it internally.

MF_James posted:

Has anyone that says Teams is bad actually used Teams recently?

It's really not that loving bad, SfB was worse, stop being babies about things changing.

I'm on it right now. It can't handle the network connection being delayed from a reboot. It causes a hard stop and asks you to restart it. Because apparently, an app can't know that it requires an internet connection to function correctly and delay its connection attempts until after it sees a valid network connection. Nope, they can only attempt to connect immediately on startup and crash and burn horribly if conditions are not optimal. This is absolutely utter poo poo behavior. It is a poo poo product.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 5, 2019

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Had a website update, last night. Overall release updates and deployment approvals were being done in WebEx chat (which is an abomination unto God and man), developer updates in MatterMost, a separate technical Lync / SfB channel, another business Lync / SfB channel, and finally a free-for-all release call (which I didn't join, because gently caress that).

I think I'm getting a reputation for being cantankerous, because I just join the technical chat and when someone says "did you hear about X? They're discussing it on the call" I just say "I'm not on it, I don't have the attention span to juggle all of this, just tell me what they said."

Fragmenting communication channels sucks. We were better off when it was just Lync (even though it was terrible for screen sharing in large groups).

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
bring back l o t u s n o t e s

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

I’m currently curled up in a ball on the bathroom floor at work shaking with terror that someone might read this and do it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

D. Ebdrup posted:

In my experience failing PSUs are one of the biggest sources of heisenbugs because of all the subtle ways that the other hardware can be fixed.
It's gotten to the point that "It's always the PSU" for helldesk/sysadmin is the equivalent of "It's always DNS" for network admins.

back at the shop where I worked on BIOS stuff, power supplies were the bane of our existance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Methanar posted:

help! I need an adult!