Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Parachute posted:

idk where else to ask this and i dont think i have an amp to connect it to, but how can i test an old pair of klipsch heresy speakers from the 80s to see if everything is working ok?

follow up: what's the best way to sell them - id guess facebook marketplace? theyve just been collecting figurative dust in my den. they belonged to my dad and sounded incredible when i was younger, but i will likely never use them and want them to go to someone who will.

FB marketplace has the most demand, Craigslist is still OK. Hereseys are still pretty desirable cause they sound great through low powered tube amps, I’d probably ask ~400 for the pair depending on condition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MrSargent posted:

The M44G looks awesome, but also looks to be more than twice as expensive as the S-120. Since I would need to buy two of them, that's a lot more than I was looking to spend. I'm not against spending a little more than the S-120, but I probably should have mentioned that this is mostly going to be for practicing and I doubt I will actually be playing out anywhere soon.

Yeah but you're gonna have to replace the s-120 stylus at least three times before you worry about the M44G though.
Just putting that out there.
On the other hand the M44G is discontinued and you might not even be able to find a stylus for it in the near future.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah but you're gonna have to replace the s-120 stylus at least three times before you worry about the M44G though.
Just putting that out there.
On the other hand the M44G is discontinued and you might not even be able to find a stylus for it in the near future.

Yah i just realized that its discontinued now. That's a drat shame. I also realized I should have posted this in the DJ thread haha, appreciate you responding!

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
All the Concordes are decent except for the scratch ones which sound like rear end

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Jico makes a Shure M44 drop-in replacement that's pretty much the exact same as the discontinued Shure stylus: https://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?products_id=1740

Shure M44s are awesome for kind of off-condition 45s, probably track too heavy for styrene (especially if you're back queuing it). I never set mine at the recommended 3g, either.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

JehovahsWetness posted:

Jico makes a Shure M44 drop-in replacement that's pretty much the exact same as the discontinued Shure stylus: https://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?products_id=1740

Shure M44s are awesome for kind of off-condition 45s, probably track too heavy for styrene (especially if you're back queuing it). I never set mine at the recommended 3g, either.

Shure OEM needles are 1.5-2g tracking force, which is perfect. The Jico are double that which kinda defeats the purpose imo.

Banano posted:

All the Concordes are decent except for the scratch ones which sound like rear end

Yes, but they're great for DVS.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Thought this was an April Fool's joke...

https://lightintheattic.net/releases/4878-silent-meditations

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Goodwill goop update: the lighter fluid worked.

https://twitter.com/NewsFedora/status/1114623438759583744

https://twitter.com/NewsFedora/status/1114624207546134529

Probably the only one from the Goodwill pile that's of any value is the Leonard Cohen. But if you're curious, here's what they all are, from left to right.

Top row:
Leonard Cohen - Suzanne / Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye (promo)
Prince - 1999 / Little Red Corvette
Stevie Wonder - For Once in My Life / Angie Girl
Rathskeller - Writing on the Wall / You Won't See the End of Me

Bottom row:
Earth, Wind & Fire - Let's Groove / Let's Groove (instrumental)
Nat King Cole - In the Cool of the Day (Manos Hadjidakis) / Those Lazy-Hazy-Crazy Days of Summer
Cliff Nobles - The Horse (instrumental) / Love is All Right
Nat Turner Rebellion - Ruby Lee / You are My Sun Sign

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

It's crazy how the lighter fluid just dissolves the sticky stuff.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Promo Suzanne is an amazing find. One of my favorite songs of all time

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

WHERE ARE MY SLEEP RECORDS JACK WHITE :argh:

I've had my tracking number for over two weeks and it's still sitting waiting for FedEx to actually get the loving thing. Yeah, I'm at the end of the alphabet for my last name (W), but seriously, this is kind of absurd? Slap the labels on and have FedEx pick it up already.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

esperantinc posted:

I've had my tracking number for over two weeks and it's still sitting waiting for FedEx to actually get the loving thing. Yeah, I'm at the end of the alphabet for my last name (W), but seriously, this is kind of absurd? Slap the labels on and have FedEx pick it up already.

I wonder what the deal is. Maybe they have to pay extra to schedule multiple trucks to pick them up or something, who knows. Maybe they're really slow at packing the records in the boxes. I got mine last Tuesday and my last name is in the middle of the alphabet.

Either way, it's worth the wait.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mine showed up on Monday, and agreed on worth the wait. Sounds incredible, even if it is essentially $70 for a live album.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

esperantinc posted:

I got mine a couple weeks ago and I don't even want it.

Enos Cabell posted:

Mine showed up on Monday, and agreed on worth the wait. Sounds incredible, even if it is essentially $70 for a live album.

That's still cheaper than any 4 LP set you'll find in a store. Also, do you live outside the US because the quarterly package is always 60 dollars. If they charged you 70 they did something wrong.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

CPL593H posted:

That's still cheaper than any 4 LP set you'll find in a store. Also, do you live outside the US because the quarterly package is always 60 dollars. If they charged you 70 they did something wrong.

Why don’t you want it, send it to me

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sweeper posted:

Why don’t you want it, send it to me

I don't care about Sleep and they charged me before I knew what I was getting. I plan on selling it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Typo on my part. Not really complaining about the price really, just more amused that in 2019 there is a market for a 4 LP live set on vinyl at all.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I have a record by this band so this post is on topic!!

I just saw HEALTH just now and it was a+/top marks. I love their first two albums but what I have heard of the third wasn’t too hot, so I didn’t know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised with the show. Perfect mix of noisy/dancey.

Go see them if they’re in your town

https://www.last.fm/music/Health/+events

https://youtu.be/HOd5cwcAqXQ (they didn’t play this song)

https://youtu.be/EWZxThGh5wQ this one though.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

the new melvins album... have a code

Memphisvinyl.com/download

5oaXO

sporklift fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 11, 2019

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Jfc people are already lined up outside the big store in town and it's snowing and supposed to switch into rain tomorrow

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

SeXReX posted:

Jfc people are already lined up outside the big store in town and it's snowing and supposed to switch into rain tomorrow

I remember the first Record Store Day. I happened to be in a Newbury Comics and one of the employees said "Hey it's record store day!" and I said "What is record store day?" then he told me "There's a few special releases and some free stickers and stuff." and I said "Oh cool." and bought a Flight of the Conchords single.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

I remember the first Record Store Day. I happened to be in a Newbury Comics and one of the employees said "Hey it's record store day!" and I said "What is record store day?" then he told me "There's a few special releases and some free stickers and stuff." and I said "Oh cool." and bought a Flight of the Conchords single.

Yeah. I was expecting something like Free Comic Day and was super bummed when I found out it was just overpriced reissues. Now I just avoid it. Portland is full of record nerds and flippers so all the good stuff is gone by noon and the dregs sit around for years.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Most of the big stores have bands playing so I just kinda treat it like a little festival.

The punk co-op, extreme noise, has free vegan hot dogs served up at noon

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

SeXReX posted:

Most of the big stores have bands playing so I just kinda treat it like a little festival.

The punk co-op, extreme noise, has free vegan hot dogs served up at noon

Newbury Comics used to do this but they stopped. As soon as someone realized people would over pay for a handful of items on ebay after the fact the whole thing went into the toilet.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
If there is any way to flip something online for just waiting around for it, people will try to make money off of it.

See: Comic Con exclusive bullshit.

I'm surprised that the record store employees themselves don't just resell this poo poo online using ebay accounts not associated with their stores?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Even if you make a bit of money, the bullshit with standing outside the door from the crack of dawn until the places open isn't loving worth it. Especially since the retail prices are so high now the profit margin is even that great.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

CPL593H posted:

Even if you make a bit of money, the bullshit with standing outside the door from the crack of dawn until the places open isn't loving worth it. Especially since the retail prices are so high now the profit margin is even that great.

Yes, but you see, some people have no life, so wasting their free time on perceived minimal profit is blah blah blah.... the aristocrats capitalism!

At least flippers are doing it for a profit reason. I guess I can understand that. When people waited outside of Apple stores for new shiny phones. That's I didn't get.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

jeeves posted:

Yes, but you see, some people have no life, so wasting their free time on perceived minimal profit is blah blah blah.... the aristocrats capitalism!

At least flippers are doing it for a profit reason. I guess I can understand that. When people waited outside of Apple stores for new shiny phones. That's I didn't get.

How much can you make off this stuff that it would be worth standing outside for a whole day in the snow and possibly rain? A lot of stores have a one per customer policy too so it's not like they can buy multiple copies of whatever the thing is to sell for maximum profit. People are morons.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

How much can you make off this stuff that it would be worth standing outside for a whole day in the snow and possibly rain? A lot of stores have a one per customer policy too so it's not like they can buy multiple copies of whatever the thing is to sell for maximum profit. People are morons.

depends on the release. Here locally in San Francisco, the Waxtrax collection comes with premiere tickets to the documentary in the city so those will flip high, the tickets probably even separately will flip high. Even non-specialized stuff like that, if you put it up immediately as the FOMO starts to set in on people who don't go out you could easily quadruple your initial investment. it helps that the folks who run RSD also let the numbers loose of pressing quantities, anything >2000 will flip high, anything greater than that is usually assured will get a full release down the road after the dust has settled on RSD (like the Green Day at Woodstock record will just always be around, not really exclusive). Color records and those Third Man releases will also flip high.

dorium fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 12, 2019

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

CPL593H posted:

People without access / opportunity for RSD junk will happily pay a premium:

https://gripsweat.com/search/?query=(%22RSD%202019%22%7C%22RSD2019%22)&page=1&sort_by=price

Everyone involved is in fact a moron, tho.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

My dudes and I have a party situation going on tonight 'cause of the Avey Tare show and we're simply gonna move the whole shablam over to the record store at 4:30 in the morning for RSD.

I'm excited.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

The only thing I want is Trout Mast Replica, but it's not going to be limited, so whatever.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

depends on the release. Here locally in San Francisco, the Waxtrax collection comes with premiere tickets to the documentary in the city so those will flip high, the tickets probably even separately will flip high. Even non-specialized stuff like that, if you put it up immediately as the FOMO starts to set in on people who don't go out you could easily quadruple your initial investment. it helps that the folks who run RSD also let the numbers loose of pressing quantities, anything >2000 will flip high, anything greater than that is usually assured will get a full release down the road after the dust has settled on RSD (like the Green Day at Woodstock record will just always be around, not really exclusive). Color records and those Third Man releases will also flip high.

The funny thing about those pressing numbers is that they totally lie about them. I don't know by how much but there are usually more of them than they say there will be. I think the circlejerking about all the Third Man limited editions or whatever is the dumbest bullshit ever and I say this as someone who has been subscribed to the Vault since 2009. People are losing their minds about those three inch records which are only playable on a tiny 70 dollar turn table made by loving Crosley. And all the songs on them are just singles you can buy at any time. Jack White could probably poo poo in a box and people would fight over the chance to pay a hundred dollars for it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

JehovahsWetness posted:

People without access / opportunity for RSD junk will happily pay a premium:

https://gripsweat.com/search/?query=(%22RSD%202019%22%7C%22RSD2019%22)&page=1&sort_by=price

Everyone involved is in fact a moron, tho.

https://gripsweat.com/item/183718511892/rsd-2019-package-deal-6-records lol $600 for a bunch of Dad rock retreads

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
There are a few records I would really like but I don't think I can bring myself to wait in line super early and I am not even sure if the record store that participates is going to have these in stock. They honestly aren't that helpful when it comes to letting people know what releases they will have in stock.

E.A.T. prod. DJ Premier 7" - Masta Ace & Marco Polo
Return of the SP-1200 - Pete Rock
Birth of a Prince - RZA
Bubblin' 7" - Anderson.Paak
The Fall - The Gorillaz

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I would just go after the madness and see what's still left.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Yah I am thinking about doing that, usually the hip-hop stuff sticks around longer than anything else so I may have a shot. But drat I would be said if I missed out on the &' singles. I've been working on DJing an all-45 set and would love to have those in the rotation.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

SeXReX posted:

I’m glad to live in a smaller city where I can get there three hours before opening and probably be the first in line.

I’m after Anal oval office “Picnic of Love” and possibly Green River “Live at the Tropicana” for myself, and that Courtney Barnett 12” single for a friend.

This is my first time participating in this nonsense. I’m not getting my hopes up too high for freebies, because this is the only record shop in town, and they don’t have to be nice.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

I’m glad to live in a smaller city where I can get there three hours before opening and probably be the first in line.

I’m after Anal oval office “Picnic of Love” and possibly Green River “Live at the Tropicana” for myself, and that Courtney Barnett 12” single for a friend.

This is my first time participating in this nonsense. I’m not getting my hopes up too high for freebies, because this is the only record shop in town, and they don’t have to be nice.

Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Shame I am travelling I really wanted the Waxtrax collection