Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
For some unknown reason my father has asked for a bottle of nice balsamic vinegar. He has never expressed an interest in anything more technical than French toast and I don’t know what he thinks he’s going to do with a high quality bottle of vinegar. Anyone have any recommendations? I’m thinking like $50-$75 would be reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
it's easy to find smaller quantities of red boat, but why would you?

Personally, I've had a real challenge buying larger quantities.

edit: pretend that says 55 gallons

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Think I'm going to try a vegetable spiralizer, not in any attempt to be more healthy, but because I love veggies and just remembered that's a potentially fun gadget that exists.

Does anyone here noodle their veggies, and if so what are some things you like to do with them? I don't think I've even had them that way before :shobon:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Weltlich posted:

He're my pickle beet recipe:

First of all slice your beets. I find I can fit about a pound of sliced beetroot into a pint jar, give or take.

The Brine:

1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup water
1tsp whole mustard
6 cloves
1 bay leaf
2 cloves garlic, halved (optional)
2 boiler or pearl onions
1 tsp dill seed
1/2 tsp flaked red pepper (optional)
1/2 tsp whole white pepper (or grain of paradise if you've got it)

*Note, you can add a tablespoon or two of honey or maple syrup to sweeten this, but I find beets pretty sweet to begin with, so I usually omit it.

This should be enough to do at least two, maybe three pint jars worth of picked beets. Adjust accordingly depending on how many beets you've got.

So put the brine in a small sauce-pot and get it simmering - then bring it to just under a simmer and hold it for ~15 minutes, covered. Get the beets packed into the jars in the meantime.

Pour the brine over the beets until it's within a ~1/2" (~1.5cm) of the top of the jar. Put on a sterilized (boiled) lid, then screw down the ring tight, but not too tight. In a larger pot, get some water to a low boil, about 2" (5cm) deeper than the jars are tall. Get it going at a low boil, then put the jars into the water using a pair of canning tongs. Let them go for ~15 minutes, then pull them out, set them on a kitchen towel to let them cool. They should seal within an hour or so.

Let them rest for at least two weeks before breaking into them.

EDIT: You can also use this recipe to quick-pickle the beets by just pouring hot bring on them in a non-canning jar. After pouring the hot brine on them, close the lid, put them in the fridge, and leave them there for at least two weeks.

I'm about 2 hours from doing this, how thick do you like to cut the beets? 1/2" or so I'm assuming and pack em in?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Hello friends. I am trying my hand at making gumbo tonight.

Unfortunately this recipe seems to have been written by a White Lady(tm). I am used to this and am accustomed to fucktupling the seasoning in almost any recipe I find online, but this time she wants my soup base to be regular old water in which I have boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast.

https://www.jessicagavin.com/chicken-andouille-sausage-gumbo/

Obviously that choice of chicken will not put off enough flavor to remotely turn two quarts of water into a broth, however I have chicken breast on hand and do not wish to buy and cut a whole chicken or simmer it for that long for what is already a long recipe.

Would simply swapping water for chicken stock be a good idea here?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bluedeanie posted:

Unfortunately this recipe seems to have been written by a White Lady(tm). I am used to this and am accustomed to fucktupling the seasoning in almost any recipe I find online, but this time she wants my soup base to be regular old water in which I have boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast.

Obviously that choice of chicken will not put off enough flavor to remotely turn two quarts of water into a broth, however I have chicken breast on hand and do not wish to buy and cut a whole chicken or simmer it for that long for what is already a long recipe.

Yes. What the recipe is having you do is essentially making a quick aromatic-less chicken stock anyway, so upgrading to regular stock will end in happiness.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Why start with a recipe you don't like or trust?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I've never seen okra cooked, drained, then cooked again. I assume it's to get rid of the "slime" of it but seriously wtf.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

So long as its got the same ingredients in it more or less I am happy to accept superior gumbo recipes :)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I've never seen okra cooked, drained, then cooked again. I assume it's to get rid of the "slime" of it but seriously wtf.

But the slime is part of why you're using it, to make up for a brick roux losing most of it's thickening abilities. :psyduck:

Try this instead: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/03/chicken-and-smoked-sausage-gumbo-recipe.html

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

But the slime is part of why you're using it, to make up for a brick roux losing most of it's thickening abilities. :psyduck:

Try this instead: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/03/chicken-and-smoked-sausage-gumbo-recipe.html

Already looks better, thank you. I have eaten okrs plenty of times but never actually cooked it myself so I didnt know that was weird!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Okra's delicious, and yes, a thickener. It's an alternative to using filé powder at the table, which is ground sassafras leaves and does a similar thing.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Is that the only real use for filé powder or is the flavouring significant too? Always struggled to get my hands on it in Australia so I’ve never cooked gumbo with it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Oddly enough it kinda tastes like root beer, since sassafras is one of the roots often used to make it, but it's not terribly strong.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bluedeanie posted:

Reminder that we have a cajun and creole thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811

Do you have a pressure cooker? If so you can whip up a quick stock from some chicken discards like necks or even just a few wings along with some onion, celery, etc. Just more for next time vs tonight. You can also toss in a can of beer (not too hoppy or citrus) to give some more flavors to the stock esp if a thin one.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

amenbrotep posted:

Is that the only real use for filé powder or is the flavouring significant too? Always struggled to get my hands on it in Australia so I’ve never cooked gumbo with it.

It tastes vaguely like thyme and is fairly grassy otherwise. You’re probably fine.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alton Brown is the reason most people think 2 quarts of WATER goes into chicken stock. I love him, but his gumbo recipe is so bad.

Absolutely upgrade it with Chicken Stock, or even Beef stock which I put in all of my gumbo.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm thinking about doing some tent camping this year. Not backpacking or hiking, just regular State Park tent camping.

The usual food will apply; chili, burgers (both grilled and hobo style) and hot dogs, etc. I'll probably do some simple things like slaws and steamed vegetables. What else do goons like to make in the great wild?

My other question is about equipment. My primary cooking station, besides the fire pit, is a propane camping stove.

Propane stoves get real hot even when the flame is as low as possible. I've burned a lot of stuff before because it cooked way faster than I expected. I have a nice cast iron pan, as well as some other cast iron that I need to reseason. Is cast iron still the way to go here or should I look out for some cheap but thick aluminum or similar? I would be worried about aluminum just burning through.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Any time I camp with a buddy of mine he makes kind of a boy scout's take on ham and beans. He gets a big cast iron dutch oven over the campfire and loads it up with baked beana, onions, peppers and sliced brats. Simple, cheap, easy, tasty, ingredients all travel well and are easy to prep outdoors, and makes you do hot nasty farts all night in your tent. Huge win all around.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
yakiniku/yakitori, curry or hayashi rice, yakisoba

I might have done a lot of car camping in Japan.

Cast iron will help you more evenly distribute the heat and wind guards to allow you to turn the flame down.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I'm about 2 hours from doing this, how thick do you like to cut the beets? 1/2" or so I'm assuming and pack em in?

I didn't get here in time, but you got it right on the money.

Sometimes I'll use my mandolin and make them into 1/2" "sticks" as well. Either way works, rounds or sticks.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm thinking about doing some tent camping this year. Not backpacking or hiking, just regular State Park tent camping.

The usual food will apply; chili, burgers (both grilled and hobo style) and hot dogs, etc. I'll probably do some simple things like slaws and steamed vegetables. What else do goons like to make in the great wild?

My other question is about equipment. My primary cooking station, besides the fire pit, is a propane camping stove.

Propane stoves get real hot even when the flame is as low as possible. I've burned a lot of stuff before because it cooked way faster than I expected. I have a nice cast iron pan, as well as some other cast iron that I need to reseason. Is cast iron still the way to go here or should I look out for some cheap but thick aluminum or similar? I would be worried about aluminum just burning through.

Yep, Cast Iron. More readily available and cheaper might be cast aluminum, less weight and heat retention, but still good. For ultimate utility, a nice little dutch oven with a lid is all you need. Then you can fry, boil, bake, whatever!

Don't neglect breakfast! I like to pack some home-made museli with milk powder. Just add hot water, stir, sweeten to your liking. Oatmeal is also good.

Soup and stews are also nice. I'll be trying to make a Joe Grey next time I go out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt_sB4qUvzk

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 4, 2019

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Is there a flavor difference between garlic and black garlic?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Completely, yes.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Weltlich posted:

I didn't get here in time, but you got it right on the money.

Sometimes I'll use my mandolin and make them into 1/2" "sticks" as well. Either way works, rounds or sticks.

No worries. Sticks sound like a great idea too. Do you put all the spices in the jars as well or just the liquid

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My new best friend / goofball youtuber Brad at BA did a camping cooking series of videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrCB6y9mYqc

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

No worries. Sticks sound like a great idea too. Do you put all the spices in the jars as well or just the liquid

I normally pour them into the jar, but I'm not totally obsessive about getting them all in the jar. I've found that too many spices in the jar will get "muddy." Still, getting some in there will only make it better over time.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

One heads up in case you try to evolve your cooking kit: don't use one of those backpacker quick boil stoves. The heat it too high and focus for even cast iron to distribute well.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
This weekend I was thinking about trying out coq au vin for dinner but I'm seeing so much variation in the recipes. Can anyone point me to a solid one?

Also, thoughts on bacon for lardons?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

captkirk posted:

This weekend I was thinking about trying out coq au vin for dinner but I'm seeing so much variation in the recipes. Can anyone point me to a solid one?

Also, thoughts on bacon for lardons?

Bacon subbed out for lardons is completely acceptable. As for a recipe, I've settled into a variation of Alton Brown's recipe

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/coq-au-vin-recipe-1952021

I tend to start with a whole chicken instead of 4 leg quarters, but go with what you like.

captkirk posted:

One heads up in case you try to evolve your cooking kit: don't use one of those backpacker quick boil stoves. The heat it too high and focus for even cast iron to distribute well.

This.

It is difficult to get a metal pan to totally burn through unless you aren't paying any attention at all, but at the same time the little jet boil stoves are designed for boiling water fast in a small pot, not for pan work.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yeah. There's a reason they're advertised to people who carry everything on their back and not car campers. You sacrifice a lot for the small packaging /lightweight

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Specifically black garlic is a preparation of regular garlic, fairly analogous to the difference between grape juice and wine, or wine and vinegar

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Weltlich posted:

Bacon subbed out for lardons is completely acceptable. As for a recipe, I've settled into a variation of Alton Brown's recipe

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/coq-au-vin-recipe-1952021

I tend to start with a whole chicken instead of 4 leg quarters, but go with what you like.

This.

It is difficult to get a metal pan to totally burn through unless you aren't paying any attention at all, but at the same time the little jet boil stoves are designed for boiling water fast in a small pot, not for pan work.

It's best to think of those as water boilers for rehydrating freeze dried trail meals rather than cooking tools.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Anyone have any recipes for marinating tofu for bbq? I'm pressing some extra firm tofu now, think some sort of bbq sauce/vinegar/garlic/chilis/whatever spices seem good

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Liquid Communism posted:

Oddly enough it kinda tastes like root beer, since sassafras is one of the roots often used to make it, but it's not terribly strong.

I guess it is 'used to be used' because it was found to be carcinogenic and banned. A quick google shows there is controversy over how bad it actually is.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Anyone have any recipes for marinating tofu for bbq? I'm pressing some extra firm tofu now, think some sort of bbq sauce/vinegar/garlic/chilis/whatever spices seem good

Go hog wild except steer clear of bbq sauce with sugar in it. Way to easy to get burnt sugar.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

How much liquid should I use to reconstitute 1 to 1.5 cups of dried cranberries?

Also how do I reconstitute dried cranberries in liquid? Do I heat them on the stove? Do I put them in the microwave?

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
I personally put them in a pot with enough liquid to cover them and heat them at a bare simmer until they are as soft as they need to be.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

They're never going to come all the way back, but toss 'em in a bowl, cover with boiling water, and let sit 10-15 minutes.

If you want better flavor out of it, dump them in a jar, add brandy, rum, or bourbon to cover, apply lid, shake, and let sit overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Liquid Communism posted:

If you want better flavor out of it, dump them in a jar, add brandy, rum, or bourbon to cover, apply lid, shake, and let sit overnight.

I ended up doing something like this, but with amaretto.