Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rude Mechanical posted:

It's not so much the fact that I have to do them that is the problem, more that I'm quite poo poo at them.
good luck?

i'm sorry that you don't feel good about your performance on tests, i guess

i'm not really sorry about any of this, you are bitching and moaning about having the best possible opportunities. omg you have to suffer through testing to get a golden ticket!!?!???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it's so hard being considered for positions most americans didn't even know existed, and could never have applied for, i have to demonstrate some kind of skill on the spot. don't they recognize my innate aptitudes?

what a fuckin cross to bear

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
guys i have to apply for internships and suffer through coding tests

i am basically jesus, on the cross

(in this case the holy lance is hackerrank.com)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's so hard being considered for positions most americans didn't even know existed, i have to demonstrate some kind of aptitude on the spot

what a fuckin cross to bear

:chillout:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

great post/av combo

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

you can have it if you like

good luck with your internet tests, OP

qhat fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 5, 2019

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
How loving good does it feel to be served up a problem you've already practiced though?

Spend a couple nights on hacker rank or code kata or whatever a month and your odds of looking like a guru next year go way up.

I had an interview where the main tech test was straight out of the Stanford CS interview practice sheets

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

when i interviewed at MS they asked me to whiteboard a medium leetcode problem i already worked through as the final problem literally of the previous night, and i only did it as a "just in case". still didn't get the job though, recruiter said it was between me and another candidate and they edged me out. i guess i already used up all my luck quota that day before the interview even finished.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I want to be in both camps on this issue. On one hand light take-home / live coding / white boarding is fine. You can talk about things and ask questions and if you're not a moron or a terrible fit it'll be fine. This is the point where bad companies will weed out themselves if this thread is any indication.

gently caress companies who send day / week assignments though. gently caress them with rusty nails.

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

It's my bad, I'm just feeling Not Great about blowing an opportunity.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Rude Mechanical posted:

It's my bad, I'm just feeling Not Great about blowing an opportunity.

This feeling is going to be your eternal soulmate like it is mine.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

who hurt you?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

MononcQc posted:

who hurt you?

A man with very bad or very great shoes, nobody knows

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I still struggle with anxiety for code tests. so gently caress off.

also sir this is a wendys turn your monitor lol

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

mekkanare posted:

I got hit up by a fb recruiter about two weeks ago wanted to talk to me about a position by phone. I said to email me more information about it, and she replied "Well we're looking for X years of experience and you only have Y."

Recruiter negging, nice

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Kilometres Davis posted:

How loving good does it feel to be served up a problem you've already practiced though?

Spend a couple nights on hacker rank or code kata or whatever a month and your odds of looking like a guru next year go way up.

I had an interview where the main tech test was straight out of the Stanford CS interview practice sheets

drat this feels like a pretty tidy encapsulation of a lot of tech's hiring problems and class mobility more generally

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Is there a German loan word for when an elegant solution to yesterday’s phone screen problem pops into your head mid shower?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

KidDynamite posted:

Is there a German loan word for when an elegant solution to yesterday’s phone screen problem pops into your head mid shower?

Showerwitz?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 5, 2019

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

l'esprit de le bain

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bob dobbs is dead posted:

A man with very bad or very great shoes, nobody knows

using the monte carlo method, estimate the quality of the applicant's shoes

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

cheque_some posted:

Recruiter negging, nice

The best part about being gainfully employed in a job you like is you can call this poo poo out

Piano Maniac
Oct 10, 2011
Oh man my new job is all about Ruby on Rails. Sure all the cool kids on the block are using "node.js" or "angular" or whatever, but drat it,
if they pay me for RoR, then I will write ruby like my life depends on it. I don't know what the migrations or whatever do, but I'll get by. Wish me luck, my goons, as now I am just studying at my company, but once 22nd comes, I'll be a bona-fide developer.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Piano Maniac posted:

Wish me luck, my goons, as now I am just studying at my company, but once 22nd comes, I'll be a bona-fide developer.

Steady on there ..... you'll be a Ruby Developer.

But seriously congrats on the job and the training.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Piano Maniac posted:

Oh man my new job is all about Ruby on Rails. Sure all the cool kids on the block are using "node.js" or "angular" or whatever, but drat it,
if they pay me for RoR, then I will write ruby like my life depends on it. I don't know what the migrations or whatever do, but I'll get by. Wish me luck, my goons, as now I am just studying at my company, but once 22nd comes, I'll be a bona-fide developer.

welcome to the cult of ruby

we all work 30 hour weeks and contribute nothing of value to society

but it pays the figgies

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Anyone familiar with the startup Bolt out of San Fran?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

EVGA Longoria posted:

welcome to the cult of ruby

we all work 30 hour weeks and contribute nothing of value to society

but it pays the figgies

30 hour weeks? I’m doing the wrong type of dev. None of what we do contributes to society.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Rex-Goliath posted:

The best part about being gainfully employed in a job you like is you can call this poo poo out

Out of all the faang I am not surprised that it's FB adopting sleazy PUA tactics

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Out of the faang recruiters I've spoken to, FB ones have by far been the worst for that. One even got my name wrong on LinkedIn and misspelled their words when I said I would need visa sponsorship.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
I just told them "I don't see how one year of difference is a big deal, so feel free to tell me more about the position in an email. Unless you think it's a problem."

Haven't heard back, so bullet dodged.

cheque_some posted:

Out of all the faang I am not surprised that it's FB adopting sleazy PUA tactics

yo 'canny, u want sum job??? learn 2 code first, idiot! we could prolly get u 2 little poo poo instead of the big poo poo u r now, hmu!!!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

got a note that the place I interviewed yesterday wants to extend an offer :unsmith:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Good poo poo. Hopefully they also want to extend the figgies.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I asked for more than the range the recruiter gave me but only like 10% more so hopefully it won’t be an issue, the company seems pretty chill in a grown up way and I wouldn’t want that to gently caress it up

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'll get cold calling recruiters for Microsoft from time to time. Or well, Redmond, Washington.

Half of them are calling for a consulting company they're apparently placing for, which I find super dumb.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iospace posted:

I'll get cold calling recruiters for Microsoft from time to time. Or well, Redmond, Washington.

Half of them are calling for a consulting company they're apparently placing for, which I find super dumb.

a huge amount of Microsofts headcount is outsourced via a few recruiting companies they work closely with. They're still w2 positions with all the figgies and bennies, it's just a lot of groups at Microsoft don't want to do their own recruiting. I wouldn't be so quick to scorn opportunities coming at you from that angle.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

jit bull transpile posted:

a huge amount of Microsofts headcount is outsourced via a few recruiting companies they work closely with. They're still w2 positions with all the figgies and bennies, it's just a lot of groups at Microsoft don't want to do their own recruiting. I wouldn't be so quick to scorn opportunities coming at you from that angle.

I get that, but it gets frustrating when I have 10 of them likely calling for the same job in the same day (which isn't any fault of their own, to be fair), and had one in the past tell me to lie on my resume by shuffling where the experience was.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Did a screening coding test for one of the big companies. 2 questions, the first question was fairly easy to solve. The second one caught me by complete surprise, it was a Minimum Spanning Tree problem and I was just not expecting something on this level for the screening phase. I mean, the recruiter sent me a couple sample hackerrank problems, I did them all but none of them were close to this level. Anyway, it was a complete disaster and I couldn't submit anything close to functional.

I still passed the test anyway. :shrug:

Not sure what the takeaway here is, I guess it's like when you get caught with something unexpectedly hard... Don't feel too upset? Maybe getting me to panic was by design.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
the real takeaway is that after training a bit today I feel like I'm pretty good at solving MST problems now :smug:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

iospace posted:

I get that, but it gets frustrating when I have 10 of them likely calling for the same job in the same day (which isn't any fault of their own, to be fair), and had one in the past tell me to lie on my resume by shuffling where the experience was.

I had this, there were 3 jobs in particular [all w2 contract] that I probably got at least 10 calls each for. what's weird about that is these agencies generally get the same money from the company if someone gets hired but I was hearing a range from $65-90 on one job. given the one company could afford 90 that means their bill rate was probably 120-135, so if someone took it for 65 the contract company could be making more money than the employee

I'm going to be glad to be done with contracting. I missed pto and even though you tell yourself you can afford to take breaks you generally don't. that said the benefits were good [better than my full time co-workers] and the company wasn't too lovely about "no contractors" stuff, mostly executive rah rah sessions I didn't care about. plus they didn't make me fly to minneapolis in winter

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

jit bull transpile posted:

if you want to work at microsoft the best thing to do is to go to the careers site, look at the specific job openings, and apply directly. there are hundreds of openings. the hiring manager receives an email with your resume. response rate will vary depending on circumstances so apply to lots of them. this shouldn't be difficult because, again, there are hundreds of openings.

special considerations:
- don't apply for positions in windows or office unless you hate yourself and want to die.
- be careful with third parties because you do not want to be a v- at microsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

I had this, there were 3 jobs in particular [all w2 contract] that I probably got at least 10 calls each for. what's weird about that is these agencies generally get the same money from the company if someone gets hired but I was hearing a range from $65-90 on one job. given the one company could afford 90 that means their bill rate was probably 120-135, so if someone took it for 65 the contract company could be making more money than the employee

I'm going to be glad to be done with contracting. I missed pto and even though you tell yourself you can afford to take breaks you generally don't. that said the benefits were good [better than my full time co-workers] and the company wasn't too lovely about "no contractors" stuff, mostly executive rah rah sessions I didn't care about. plus they didn't make me fly to minneapolis in winter

if they offer was 90, their bill rate was probably 180-200