Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't really disagree with you that much, there is a lot to like about the sequence. When I saw the movie for the first time I came away impressed by it alone basically. But I found it impossible to unsee how sloppy it is at the edges once I could look at it under more of a microscope with the home video release. I don't really know whether it's more of a choreography or framing or editing problem, but in any case it forever made the whole thing feel lazy and shoddy to me. To be fair I don't like the rest of the film and the emotional aspect is a dud IMO, so it doesn't get far on anything but its own narrow technical merits for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't really disagree with you that much, there is a lot to like about the sequence. When I saw the movie for the first time I came away impressed by it alone basically. But I found it impossible to unsee how sloppy it is at the edges once I could look at it under more of a microscope with the home video release. I don't really know whether it's more of a choreography or framing or editing problem, but in any case it forever made the whole thing feel lazy and shoddy to me. To be fair I don't like the rest of the film and the emotional aspect is a dud IMO, so it doesn't get far on anything but its own narrow technical merits for me.

If there's an emotional disconnect I can definitely understand how that influences your opinion of the fight. That's fair :) I personally connect with movie a lot and put it up there as one of the saga's best.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

teagone posted:

Hard disagree. There's a lot to like about the sequence. It's visually striking in both color and structure, and the camera movement/editing captures the choreography in such an effective manner that makes it all not just look super violent, but it also feels super violent. Those hard hits and sparks spewing about are such a great addition to upping the brutality not really seen in lightsaber fights before it. The sequence as a whole is a great technical feat that showcases the hero and the villain in absolutely compelling fashion.

In context of the narrative it's even better imo, putting said hero and villain in a situation where they're working together. I love that. I love how it also conveys a contrast of characterization for Rey and Kylo through their fighting styles. Kylo Ren remaining calm and collected with measured strikes while Rey unveils an even more ferocious mirror or herself than we saw when she bested Kylo Ren on Starkiller Base. My personal favorite moments actually happen just before the brawl ensues; Rey wielding Kylo's saber was such a great character moment, and when Kylo force pulls Rey's saber into her hand after cleaving Snoke in half as the iconic music starts to swell is just pure cinematic joy.

okay now talk about the vanishing knife and the red soldier guy who obviously misses his cues also the red guys who very obviously aim at kylo's weapon before he hold it out for them to hit

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

okay now talk about the vanishing knife and the red soldier guy who obviously misses his cues also the red guys who very obviously aim at kylo's weapon before he hold it out for them to hit

They're scared of facing down two Jedi and fumble their poo poo? Ben did just kill Snoke at that point. They gotta be making GBS threads their pants.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Nobody noticed that when they watched it in the cinemas, same as nobody noticed Elsa's braid moving through her arm the first time they saw it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

To be honest I didn't notice that stuff in the film that was said in the post I was replying to. Knife disappearing? What? I'm blinded by pure fanboyism I guess.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Nobody noticed that when they watched it in the cinemas, same as nobody noticed Elsa's braid moving through her arm the first time they saw it.

Well I mean I did because I have Bayformer brain

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
I loved the fight when I saw the film in a cinema. I ended up hating the movie, mostly due to what happened afterwards, but after enduring some good parts (anything with Luke, Rey, Kylo, Snoke) and some bad parts (the Finn/Rose plotline), I thought something really good and interesting was happening. Kylo and Rey working together was actually more intersting to me than the fight itself.

As much as I dislike TLJ now, I gotta say watching it in a cinema for the first time was an experience. Not a good one but it was something.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
misunderstood, nvm

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

teagone posted:

Hard disagree. There's a lot to like about the sequence. It's visually striking in both color and structure, and the camera movement/editing captures the choreography in such an effective manner that makes it all not just look super violent, but it also feels super violent. Those hard hits and sparks spewing about are such a great addition to upping the brutality not really seen in lightsaber fights before it. The sequence as a whole is a great technical feat that showcases the hero and the villain in absolutely compelling fashion.

In context of the narrative it's even better imo, putting said hero and villain in a situation where they're working together. I love that. I love how it also conveys a contrast of characterization for Rey and Kylo through their fighting styles. Kylo Ren remaining calm and collected with measured strikes while Rey unveils an even more ferocious mirror or herself than we saw when she bested Kylo Ren on Starkiller Base. My personal favorite moments actually happen just before the brawl ensues; Rey wielding Kylo's saber was such a great character moment, and when Kylo force pulls Rey's saber into her hand after cleaving Snoke in half as the iconic music starts to swell is just pure cinematic joy.

Yeah I don't really like TLJ but this was one of the better scenes in it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

teagone posted:

and when Kylo force pulls Rey's saber into her hand after cleaving Snoke in half as the iconic music starts to swell is just pure cinematic joy.

I don't guess it's a really meaningful distinction either way, but I always assumed Rey force pulled the saber to herself. Clearly Kylo swiveled it and turned it on, but I thought Rey immediately caught on to his plan and finished the job. You might be right, but the alternative never even occurred to me.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I don't mind the SnokeatineThrone Room fight, but Adam and Daisy are the only good parts of it

The guards should've been fewer in number so they could realistically swarm and fight them without it being a one-sided slaughter or having two or three guards literally standing around practicing Tai Chi while their brothers in arms got their faces sabered in

I don't even mind the disappearing dagger since Rey still reacts like she got hit with it

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

General Dog posted:

I don't guess it's a really meaningful distinction either way, but I always assumed Rey force pulled the saber to herself. Clearly Kylo swiveled it and turned it on, but I thought Rey immediately caught on to his plan and finished the job. You might be right, but the alternative never even occurred to me.

Kylo does it. You see him move his fingers, and the lightsaber flies towards he and Rey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3HMz25LvnY

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

[edit] Beaten like Snoke's cleaved corpse.

General Dog posted:

Kylo does a small hand gesture to pull the saber towards him, then Rey catches it. Timestamped below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4cugJ7JzvM&t=154s

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

teagone posted:

They're scared of facing down two Jedi and fumble their poo poo? Ben did just kill Snoke at that point. They gotta be making GBS threads their pants.

He basically pulled a wall hack and sniped Snoke tho. He didn't best him in combat.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ruddiger posted:

He basically pulled a wall hack and sniped Snoke tho. He didn't best him in combat.

The fact that he managed to do it through deception is what's nuts. The manner in which it happened doesn't really matter that much though. The guards gotta be like "the balls on this motherfucker" and realize he's legit crazy for pulling that poo poo off.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

e: wrong thread

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

No Mods No Masters posted:

The TLJ throne room fight would have had to hold up better under close analysis to be regarded as a classic. There are way way too many awkward red dudes milling around or swinging at nothing on the edges of the frame. As is it’s as much of a hollow fraud as the rest of the film

It's visually impressive with the really bright as red and flames going everywhere, but the choreography is terrible.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

On topic: There's some cool fan edits where the Throne Room Throwdown is synchronized with tunes like The Chain and it rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG27cK_tk0A

You can basically put any song in the background of the sequence and it kills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1paxmGl8uI

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

On the topic of edits, a guy at work linked me this - it flows really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEQ7oy03c0o

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

You can basically put any song in the background of the sequence and it kills:

This one was my favorite when I first saw it on twitter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NkPTdqSwS4

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The problem with that fight is that it's two people that no one cares about that have just killed a meaningless villain we don't know and then are fighting faceless drones that weren't introduced at all, and we'll never see again.

It's basically a fan trailer on Youtube.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The problem with that fight is that it's two people that no one cares about that have just killed a meaningless villain we don't know and then are fighting faceless drones that weren't introduced at all, and we'll never see again.

There are two people in that room that matter, and that's enough.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

People care about Kylo and Rey. Maybe you don’t. You are right tho that the imperial guard could have had a bit more

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The fight is the spectacle (that's really well done imo). It's really more about exploring the characters of Rey and Ben. The guards and Snoke dying are just byproducts of their story being expanded. If you have an emotional disconnect with the two main characters, then yeah, I get why it would come off as pointless. Connecting with the characters is a large part of what makes the fight so compelling.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The problem with that fight is that it's two people that no one cares about.

:wrong:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Vintersorg posted:

Awww, it cuts out the sick Your Mom joke though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

euphronius posted:

People care about Kylo and Rey. Maybe you don’t. You are right tho that the imperial guard could have had a bit more

I honestly can't see why you'd care about either of them. Kylo is the only marginally interesting, and that's because he's the first dork in a Star Wars and Rey might as well be a paper doll on a popsicle stick.

but honestly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeK10F6iA8E

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

General Dog posted:

Does cutting Snoke in half make him count as two people?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

General Dog posted:

one is disappearing knife guy and the other is

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Your mom

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Needed to put that joke back in the mix.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vintersorg posted:

I forgot how populated the Resistance was at the start of the film.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yo mama got nipples the size of the laser dish on the Death Star.

Yo mama stank like Dagobah.

Yo mama so hairy, Chewbacca looks at her and is like god drat.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I looked up Star Wars yo mama jokes and came across this site that had a mix of them with Star Trek yo mama jokes: https://www.yomamajokesgalore.com/scifi.html

They're all pretty bad, but "yo mama so fat that she caused Kamino to flood when her water broke" made me chuckle.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the throne room fight was probably the part where i cared about kylo and rey the most, especially given that right after you can practically feel the plot getting dragged back onto the rails to boring convention

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Honestly it’s what comes after that is the problem for that fight emotionally. “Maybe something interesting will happen - lol jk” isn’t a great look

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

the villains in ep 9 are going to be Snoke and Darth Maul both hobbling around on robot legs, commiserating about their lost dicks

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I honestly can't see why you'd care about either of them. Kylo is the only marginally interesting, and that's because he's the first dork in a Star Wars

Anakin is a huge dork, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

FuturePastNow posted:

the villains in ep 9 are going to be Snoke and Darth Maul both hobbling around on robot legs, commiserating about their lost dicks

Snoke and Maul are stitched together CatDog style.