Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Jeremor posted:

My love of this podcast led me to try out Fantasy High. They have 8 free episodes up on YouTube, and it has a lot of antics similar to the band of boobs. It probably leans more silly than anything, but the DM is excellent and it has Emily and Murph playing characters.

I just now finished the first 8 episodes and now I'm contemplating a dropout.tv subscription to listen to more. Has anyone else made the dive?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWKm16X3qN4

brennan's constant, long-term commitment to escalating this joke and then turning it into emotional payoff is part of why he's so great

eke out fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That was such a good episode. Galad Rosell being king of the undead and holding ghost mom hostage is so disgusting.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
https://twitter.com/chmurph/status/1115713804107751424

They're doing it again, if anyone is near and interested

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Doctor Reynolds posted:

That was such a good episode. Galad Rosell being king of the undead and holding ghost mom hostage is so disgusting.

Much as it'll be nice to see Hardwon interact with Galad given those stakes, I think I'm honestly more excited to hear Galad and Moonshine argue over Rosaline. Speaking of, did Moonshine ever find out what filling it with 3 charges actually does? I thought Murph mentioned it needing the 3 charges to be able to listen in on people or something, but that seems kind of over complicated for the process to listen in; like Galad would have trouble organizing a listen if he ever found it necessary.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
I recall Murph mentioned the 3 charges are needed to make a scrying sword like the one Gallad gave to Bev

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So, she could make it have baby swords now? Maybe she could make one for Bev's dad and a few other allies as a long distance means of communication, since I don't think any of the party have sending. The BoB do have a sending stone, but that seems to have just become their music box for flavor jokes at this point. Also, this just reminded me of another small thing I'd noticed. I recall at some point that Murph realized Jake was using his luck points wrong, and that he had to declare he was going to use a luck point before a roll rather than after it. Which Jake then did for one episode, before reverting to type. Did I just imagine that, or did they just decide that they'd go with a house ruling of letting Jake do it afterwards does anyone know?

Also, also, since this has just become a rambly post of me thinking of small questions at this point: I wonder if Moonshine is going to go for more Barbarian levels next, or go for more druid ones. She mentioned in the Crick arc she didn't want to awaken Pawpaw, but half as a joke and I've been hoping for awakened Pawpaw at some point. Which, if she levels up as a druid after this arc, she could do from what I gather looking at some DnD spell poo poo (first 5th level spell slot is at 9th level from what I'm reading?). I'd kind of miss the squeek jokes though at the same time.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 10, 2019

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

tsob posted:

So, she could make it have baby swords now? Maybe she could make one for Bev's dad and a few other allies as a long distance means of communication, since I don't think any of the party have sending. The BoB do have a sending stone, but that seems to have just become their music box for flavor jokes at this point. Also, this just reminded me of another small thing I'd noticed. I recall at some point that Murph realized Jake was using his luck points wrong, and that he had to declare he was going to use a luck point before a roll rather than after it. Which Jake then did for one episode, before reverting to type. Did I just imagine that, or did they just decide that they'd go with a house ruling of letting Jake do it afterwards does anyone know?

Yeah, this happened. I have no idea what the actual ruling is, but I remember it as they were told they were doing it wrong and changed it, then told actually they were doing it right and changed it back, then basically vowed to never speak of it again/please don't @ me.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I do remember the thing about luck points and I thought it was basically them saying "Eh, we like this way better"? But maybe it was just someone saying how they really work

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
"As you know, everything I love dies."

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

"I whisper to the crow, 'Get as far away from this guy as you can.'"

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Bev sr :negative:

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
bev sr...goofed

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Ya dang goof ball....

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Not Operator posted:

Yeah, this happened. I have no idea what the actual ruling is, but I remember it as they were told they were doing it wrong and changed it, then told actually they were doing it right and changed it back, then basically vowed to never speak of it again/please don't @ me.

Huh, must have been zoned out the second time they talked about it. Thanks for the clarification. Anyway, speaking of Bev Sr, Caldwell talks about changing Beverly to be a revenge/manhunt focused Paladin and that strikes me a little odd. He doesn't really come off as angry or obsessed with anything after finding out about his dad's deal with Akarot, so much as disappointed and disillusioned. I had assumed the Grey Knight thing would just involve some changing of flavor text, but he's going full edgy teen with the character by the sounds of the Short Rest. Which, I don't really mind, since he sounds like he's having fun with the concept, but the direction does still seem incongruous to me.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

We've all gone through a Hot Topic phase.

Isn't Bev 16? That's *crazy* young for a halfling.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Yeah they live until 200 or so, but I think they mature at 20 or so? So 16's probably fair for a goth phase.

Its still much less weird than Moonshine being 26. Elf ages are dumb.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I like to think the people that live a lot longer than others will often refer to themselves as an age that makes relative sense.

So an elf at 100 who could live to 400 would tell a human they are 25.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

We've all gone through a Hot Topic phase.

Isn't Bev 16? That's *crazy* young for a halfling.

Yeah, on Sneak Attack, one of the cast members played a halfling who was like 15 but he played him as like a little kid.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Inzombiac posted:

I like to think the people that live a lot longer than others will often refer to themselves as an age that makes relative sense.

So an elf at 100 who could live to 400 would tell a human they are 25.

That doesn't really make any sense though, because a year is based on solar cycles and not on social or cultural mores. I could see a 100 year old Elf saying they're a teenager, which is a cultural thing, but not that they're 25. Because they're not. They're 100. Culture doesn't change that.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the revelation that emily walked down the aisle to the opera theme from FFVI is the most on-brand poo poo imaginable

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

eke out posted:

the revelation that emily walked down the aisle to the opera theme from FFVI is the most on-brand poo poo imaginable

IIRC, they get her to sing it multiple times in 8Bit Book Club, but she never sings the words, just the melody in its traditional chiptune vocal noises.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Not Operator posted:

IIRC, they get her to sing it multiple times in 8Bit Book Club, but she never sings the words, just the melody in its traditional chiptune vocal noises.

highly recommend everyone listen to the one where caldwell writes a ff6 fanfic starring emily and she's basically crying the entire time

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

StalkofWheat posted:

If you haven't heard the Metal City Mayhem saga then you're missing out on some truly great podcasting content. I want them to make Jake experience it on a future Mixed Bag someday.

I listened to two episodes of "8 Bit Bookclub" over the last few days; the one where they talk about the then upcoming NaddPod and the first of the Metal City Mayhem episodes, based on this recommendation. I loved the first, which had a lot of the energy of NaddPod, but wasn't a big fan of the Metal City Mayhem episode. It managed what I'd have thought impossible before this point for one, which is to say that it made Emily kind of annoying. It was kind of deliberate on her part, since she outright says at various times that she's trying to annoy Murph by voting for slow or silly options when they come to a choice in Choose Your Own Adventure novel, but her constantly asking "Can we stop and think about things?" for almost every single choice is flat out irritating after a while. I'm gonna listen to at the least the second episode of it, along with the previously recommended Zelda one and maybe one or two others, but that one episode didn't do anything for me at the very least. I guess I didn't find the cast's interactions to be as humorous in this setting as they are in NaddPod, so the whole thing felt very slow and plodding for large parts.

That aside, the discussion in the other episode almost immediately side-tracking in to talking about how absorbent tampons are and what they could do to test them only seconds after Murph announces they're making a D'n'D Podcast is so completely on brand that I immediately loved that episode. The best bit though was probably when Emily was breaking down her character and the Crick; you could almost hear Murph realizing that he'd possibly let her get away with too much when deciding who she was going to be and what she wanted in that part of the setting. Or Jake talking about how he'd finagled his way in to the whole endeavor simply by approaching Murph at a caroling party and asking him about D'n'D. The whole episode is fun as gently caress, and I'd definitely recommend it to any fans of NaddPod who haven't listened to any of the "8 Bit Bookclub" episodes. The rest of the gang help Jake decide what class Hardwon is going to be during the episode too, along with christening some of his epithet's (Bastard of the Mountain for instance). It helped illuminate something that had always escaped me too; namely why Murph calls himself the "direct messenger" during the start of the Short Rests. Turns out it's just a running joke from Jake not knowing what a DM is.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 1, 2019

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I would recommend the donkey kong episodes of 8BBC to you

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm listening to the second episode of Metal City Mayhem at the moment (well, I'm about half way in, but interrupted it to listen to this week's Nando v Movies podcast), and still not really feeling it but I'll try that one as well. I gather this one is kind of unusual in that it's a CYOA book they're live-reading, where most are things they all read before hand and then chat about during the podcast? That's the implication from their discussion at least. That said, I'm probably going to listen to the episode about Moebius lore as well, just because that sounds like it has the potential to be good.

Also, this week's episode of NaddPod was great. Murph forcing Jake to roleplay his own evil twin was great. As were the suave vampire douches, and Murph's idiot villager. I'm presuming the sniper is the guest they spoke about bringing on (can't recall who it was), so next week should be good too.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

tsob posted:

Also, this week's episode of NaddPod was great. Murph forcing Jake to roleplay his own evil twin was great. As were the suave vampire douches, and Murph's idiot villager. I'm presuming the sniper is the guest they spoke about bringing on (can't recall who it was), so next week should be good too.
Brennan Lee Mulligan

Fantasy High is highly recommended viewing for NaddPod fans and features both Emily and Murph. Emily does exactly what she said in the Q&A she'll do in new groups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zZxCVBi7-k

Note that you need to take Dropout up on the free week offer to finish it

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't know why Fantasy High in particular made me notice this, but pretty much every DM for a live play podcast or video stream seems to say "You see..." a lot. As in, it's how they start every other sentence that way at times.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

While a mist vampire playing at being a doppelganger was a lot of fun, I'm not sure what exactly they were trying to accomplish.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The doppleganger wasn't a mist vampire, it was an adult oblex; which is basically a memory vampire going by information on it. It's goal was just to hang around them long enough that it could syphon off their memories presumably. It seemed capable of learning information and memories with attacking too; even if it needed to essentially attack them in some manner to leech the memories permanently.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

"So more like Jonah Hex" - I think it's something of a faux pas to explicitly mention the character a player is ripping off.

(and a third party race and class are not "lawful" shenanigans)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmfao this episode murph was completely right to punish them for being that insanely stupid in front of two NPCs that get legendary actions and a whole den of their supporters

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

#WhereWasBalnor

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

I fell a little behind and just caught up on the last few episodes Does anyone know what exactly happened in 60 or 61 that had the facebook fucks mad at Emily? I literally didn't see anything out of character.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Not Operator posted:

I fell a little behind and just caught up on the last few episodes Does anyone know what exactly happened in 60 or 61 that had the facebook fucks mad at Emily? I literally didn't see anything out of character.

I think people blamed her for the tidal wave and “ruining” the diplomacy. Which is dumb, because Deadeye was already sabotaging the diplomacy anyway.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

VaultAggie posted:

I think people blamed her for the tidal wave and “ruining” the diplomacy. Which is dumb, because Deadeye was already sabotaging the diplomacy anyway.

Didn't she double check with everyone whether to actually do it before hand, because she had originally planned to be something had just happened to make it seem kind of silly; with everyone else chiming in that they wanted her to, because it'd be fun regardless of how much it hosed with what was happening? I feel like that was the order of events at least, though I'd have to re-listen to it to make find out for definite.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Sure, there might be a million reasons for people not to flip out about it, but have you met podcast listeners who also play D&D? You're gonna get some people who demand that they @ players for doing it wrong.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm only a few seconds in to the latest episode, but it's so loving weird to hear Jake introducing himself as someone other than Hardwon.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
I'm really digging this arc and all, but man does Deadeye just suck the all the fun out of combat since it's evidently impossible for him to fail at anything.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
deadeye is a loving dark god of destruction and optimization compared to like, a champion fighter and a druid/berserker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TakenForGranite
Jan 13, 2015
Yeah it's kind of hilarious how overpowered the gunslinger subclass is. You saw it for years in critical role with Percy, and Deadeye is really no different. I actually guffawed when his rifle was just a re-skin of Bad News, too.