Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah! it is! I have no idea why they even cast Jason Clarke it in at all! Because he's TERRIBLE IN EVERYTHING.

Ed: A shameful snipe, but I stand by what I misquoted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Stryder posted:

Ed: A shameful snipe, but I stand by what I misquoted.
I saw Jason Clarke in both this and The Aftermath in the same week and he was much better in The Aftermath, though that wasn't a great movie either. It was way better than this piece of poo poo, but it wasn't great.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Jason Clarke is a good actor, but he's been slotted into the bland leading role a lot recently, and it doesn't really play to his strengths at all.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

If they wanted to do the Pet Semetary Wendigo thing right, they should've hired Larry Fessenden. The dude fuckin loves 'em.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

“Check this out, it’s a really crazy thing, something very sinister and perhaps the reason for why this graveyard has powers...”

“That’s crazy wow”

“Yeah. But it’s not important honestly and I dunno, whatever.”

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Jason Clarke was the only person who seemed to have any idea what kind of movie Serenity (the 2019 Matthew McConaughey movie, not the Firefly one) was turning out to be, so he probably emerged from it the least-embarrassed.

That movie also makes one hell of a triple feature with Collateral Beauty and The Book of Henry.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

sethsez posted:

That movie also makes one hell of a triple feature with Collateral Beauty and The Book of Henry.
Now that's a hell of a way to commit suicide

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Now that's a hell of a way to commit suicide

Sometimes you just want to bask in the glow of talented people desperately trying to save the most ill-conceived scripts of their careers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

What's with the posers in this thread (LMAO) talking about the original Pet Sematary not being scary. Unless you're like 19 that movie is scary as hell, just not in a fun way.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

What's with the posers in this thread (LMAO) talking about the original Pet Sematary not being scary. Unless you're like 19 that movie is scary as hell, just not in a fun way.

I agree that it’s pretty scary although it’s nothing compared to the book

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I know I'm late to this, but everyone should check out Defunctland's History of Legends of the Hidden Temple.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
So is it just me or did the ending to Q the Winged Serpent just come out of nowhere

Like, last we see Moriarty's character he is a shithead and everyone hates him and then suddenly Carradine shows up to save him and they are friends and Moriarty is a different person who realizes how he was wrong

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So is it just me or did the ending to Q the Winged Serpent just come out of nowhere

Like, last we see Moriarty's character he is a shithead and everyone hates him and then suddenly Carradine shows up to save him and they are friends and Moriarty is a different person who realizes how he was wrong

I think he started realizing he was a shithead when his girl left him and people weren't kissing his rear end just because he pointed out where Q was living.

I think you can see that Carradine doesn't hate Moriarty in the diner scene, and later he's just busting his balls for good reason.

But yeah, it does wrap up a little too neatly, character-wise.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I have to go with Joe Bob when he said the whole cult thing was basically pointless and the film would have been much cleaner without it

I will admit that I think I still CHUD better, although this movie has two excellent things: Michael Morarity's performance and some of the best stop motion I can remember

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Franchescanado posted:

I know I'm late to this, but everyone should check out Defunctland's History of Legends of the Hidden Temple.

Thanks for this . That’s interesting stuff. Loved the episodes Kings Island amusement park rides

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I liked the Book of Henry. You could see the twist coming a mile away, but it was good. Still listen to the soundtrack.

And Michael Moriarty is an incredible actor and an incredible shithead. He’s absurdly good as Ben Stone in L&O, too. Go watch “American Dream” right now.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have to go with Joe Bob when he said the whole cult thing was basically pointless and the film would have been much cleaner without it

I will admit that I think I still CHUD better, although this movie has two excellent things: Michael Morarity's performance and some of the best stop motion I can remember

Yeah I don't know if Joe Bob sincerely is annoyed by CHUD or if he's just adopting a pose to be in solidarity with his horrornerd bros, but the fact that CHUD had some people who actually knew how to act meant that it had a much higher level of acting than I'm used to seeing in a creature feature and made it better, a lot more watchable, than I'm used to seeing in an exploitation flick. A sneering, slumming attitude towards the material didn't come across to me watching it.

I do appreciate Joe Bob giving the background on the various players though. I love his encyclopedia movie nerd knowledge derails. The random comedic ones (NFL kneeling, beauty pageants etc.) are more miss than hit for me. If you were doing a bit before a live audience and got crickets you'd move on quick, in this format you don't get that kind of feedback in real time and it can get cringey if you draw out a losing bit.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CelticPredator posted:

“Check this out, it’s a really crazy thing, something very sinister and perhaps the reason for why this graveyard has powers...”

“That’s crazy wow”

“Yeah. But it’s not important honestly and I dunno, whatever.”

Speaking of things in the new Pet Semetary that are 'I dunno, whatever': Did the old man bury his wife Norma in the Pet Semetary? Is that what they were implying in the scene where the little girl's face turns into his dead wife's face for a bit and she starts talking through her? I had a little trouble understanding her voice, is that something that happens in the book? Because in the movie it was kind of confusing and comes out of nowhere (Probably should have replaced all the Wendigo stuff with dead wife zombie stuff so that pay off had a set up).

However, despite all of its many, many flaws I stand by my initial "The new Pet Semetary is entertaining and I recommend seeing it" statement, but you might want to take that recommendation with a grain of salt because when it comes to horror movie I have a very low bar for being entertained. Part of what made it fun for me was after the truly ridiculous dumbwaiter death I started watching it like a B-horror movie and enjoying it on that level, but it may be to dark for
other people to do that so easily (which I get).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Was the dumb waiter thing in the book because of so lol.

Also that jump scare was dumb, but effective.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CelticPredator posted:

Was the dumb waiter thing in the book because of so lol.

Also that jump scare was dumb, but effective.

Yeah, Pet Semetary had quite a few dumb, but effective jump scares. Which is fine by me, I like a good jump scare every now and then. If you're looking for a movie with dumb, but effective jump scares, the new Pet Semetary is worth checking out.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The important question is, does it include that incredibly weird scene from the book where Louis's wife jerks him off in the tub with a loofa?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

This is enough for me to pick up my old childhood love of puzzles again.

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/2...ctC1-ryTPJYeWpE

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Origami Dali posted:

The important question is, does it include that incredibly weird scene from the book where Louis's wife jerks him off in the tub with a loofa?

Nah, like most film adaptations of Steven King novels it leaves out the bizarre sex stuff, which is probably for the best.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Origami Dali posted:

To be honest this is the thing I remember most from the book.

I haven't seen House of 1000 Corpses since release but I remember being really "whatever" about it, opinion hasn't really changed much about it but it's definitely better than I remember. I definitely prefer the latter half of the film, the first half feels like it's dragging it's feet just to get to the crazy stuff.

Doesn't The Devil's Rejects abandon the whole "weirdo carnies" thing and never brings up the underground zombie lair and Dr. Satan thing? I remember watching it and feeling and being totally different. I'm due for a rewatch sometime soon I suppose.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There’s a deleted scene with Dr Satan and Rosario Dawson, but I dunno if he’s in the actual film at all.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

s.i.r.e. posted:

To be honest this is the thing I remember most from the book.

I haven't seen House of 1000 Corpses since release but I remember being really "whatever" about it, opinion hasn't really changed much about it but it's definitely better than I remember. I definitely prefer the latter half of the film, the first half feels like it's dragging it's feet just to get to the crazy stuff.

Doesn't The Devil's Rejects abandon the whole "weirdo carnies" thing and never brings up the underground zombie lair and Dr. Satan thing? I remember watching it and feeling and being totally different. I'm due for a rewatch sometime soon I suppose.

There is some deleted footage with Dr. Satan. If I remember rightly, when they were looking it over with the rest of the filming, it didn't quite mesh as well as they thought. So I tend to look at the two films as the first is from how everything looks from the Fireflys perspective all wild and crazy with Rejects being the outside thier perspective view.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

One last thing about Pet Sematary:

This is one of the cat actors from the film, look at this pretty baby in his little tie :3:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Pet Sematary book was entirely about the effects that loss has on a person and how a person would do anything to get a loved one back, no matter what the cost. The horror was all about seeing the father's self destructive behavior and knowing you would do the same if it was your child/wife because "maybe it will work better this time" is just enough hope to try again and again, despite all reasoning to the contrary.

From what I hear about this version, it is...not that.

But nobody is talking about the amazingly wtf Pet Sematary 2 with the wonderful Clancy Brown.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Origami Dali posted:

That's like the least weird sex scene ever. Guy's had a long day, the kid is sleeping, his wife makes him dinner and gives him a hot bath and a handjob.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

One last thing about Pet Sematary:

This is one of the cat actors from the film, look at this pretty baby in his little tie :3:
His name is Church, BTW

https://twitter.com/DigitalSneeze/status/1113814067683180544

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Darko posted:

The Pet Sematary book was entirely about the effects that loss has on a person and how a person would do anything to get a loved one back, no matter what the cost. The horror was all about seeing the father's self destructive behavior and knowing you would do the same if it was your child/wife because "maybe it will work better this time" is just enough hope to try again and again, despite all reasoning to the contrary.

But nobody is talking about the amazingly wtf Pet Sematary 2 with the wonderful Clancy Brown.

Clancy Brown is an American treasure and for a pretty wacky and dumb sequel, he is actually pretty loving scary in it.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Apparently there were five cats playing Church in the film but IMDb only lists four names: Leo, Tonic, Jager and JD. The one in the picture is Tonic: https://www.instagram.com/church_aka_tonic/

Also https://www.instagram.com/church_aka_leo/

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
As a Maine Coon haver I appreciate the new Church. However, the original Church was very striking and kind of hard to beat in my mind.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just finished watching the 2009 Friday the 13th remake for the first time, and now I'm legitimately angry

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

they should have let A24 remake Pet Sematary in the style of They Come at Night

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I just finished watching the 2009 Friday the 13th remake for the first time, and now I'm legitimately angry

I too am angry that they still haven’t made another one in ten years

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Iron Crowned posted:

My warnings go unheeded once more.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lurdiak posted:

My warnings go unheeded once more.

I knew it was going to be bad, but I legit thought everything up to the title card was decent so I had hope. There were plenty of good ideas there too that just go flat because it opted to ape the original without bothering to understand why it worked the first time.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I knew it was going to be bad, but I legit thought everything up to the title card was decent so I had hope. There were plenty of good ideas there too that just go flat because it opted to ape the original without bothering to understand why it worked the first time.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty crappy, too. But, I think we're in the minority in these parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Darko posted:

I adore Pet Sematary 2

It's easily the B Movie Sequel, but Goddamn does it have some good stuff in it