Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Now there's an interesting thought experiment. Have any of the other Crawl forks tried to impose the Nethack philosophy onto Crawl's existing structure? In my mind it's like the roguelike equivalent of that 'cursed image' thing.

'You try to push the boulder, but it was actually a boulder beetle!'
'You dip the wand into the potion. The wand turns into a mana viper! It was a potion of mutation.'
'You dip the wand into the potion. It turns into a huge magical tree, crushing you! It was a potion of lignification. You have died. Would you like to see your inventory?'

It would be an interesting feat to do for an April Fools joke, possibly as a sprint level. Each section being a different rogue-like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Crawl's design principles, despite being dragged through the mud a bit in the past few years, is still rock solid. I'm surprised at the amount of other RLs that have one-way stairs, and the ones that don't instead actively encourage grinding/scumming. Crawl's approach (to me) is quite intuitive, you have free reign to take your time and go revisit areas, but no real advancement can be made without forging into new areas.

Off the top of my head:
Crawl, DoomRL, Sil, & Cogmind - I've 'beaten', so to speak
TOME4 & Qud - have dipped into very breifly
Tangledeep & Dredmor - bounced off these two HARD
FTL, Everspace, Necrodancer, Spelunky, etc etc etc - Various RL inspired stuff.

I'm sure I'm missing many, but my point is that all of them have forced progression, with a few instead fully embracing the grind of vendor scumming etc. I really and truly appreciate the effort that's been made to keep DCSS scumm-free, even if the dev's zeal sometimes takes them to odd places that non-HOM's never go. That, combined with a bunch of other stuff about cleaning out old RL cruft like gotchas, really makes me feel like Crawl is the 'default' RL experience, with other games taking strong stylizations for gameplay and fluff. I know the emtomology is quite the opposite, shh.

Oh poo poo wait Brogue, brogue does it amazingly with a tight as hell foodclock. I should go DL it again and try to stop sucking at it, geez.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 6, 2019

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Serephina posted:

Crawl's design principles, despite being dragged through the mud a bit in the past few years, is still rock solid. I'm surprised at the amount of other RLs that have one-way stairs, and the ones that don't instead actively encourage grinding/scumming. Crawl's approach (to me) is quite intuitive, you have free reign to take your time and go revisit areas, but no real advancement can be made without forging into new areas.

Off the top of my head:
Crawl, DoomRL, Sil, & Cogmind - I've 'beaten', so to speak
TOME4 & Qud - have dipped into very breifly
Tangledeep & Dredmor - bounced off these two HARD
FTL, Everspace, Necrodancer, Spelunky, etc etc etc - Various RL inspired stuff.

I'm sure I'm missing many, but my point is that all of them have forced progression, with a few instead fully embracing the grind of vendor scumming etc. I really and truly appreciate the effort that's been made to keep DCSS scumm-free, even if the dev's zeal sometimes takes them to odd places that non-HOM's never go. That, combined with a bunch of other stuff about cleaning out old RL cruft like gotchas, really makes me feel like Crawl is the 'default' RL experience, with other games taking strong stylizations for gameplay and fluff. I know the emtomology is quite the opposite, shh.

Oh poo poo wait Brogue, brogue does it amazingly with a tight as hell foodclock. I should go DL it again and try to stop sucking at it, geez.

Honestly I think TOME4 does it better. It's not mired in difficulty-for-difficulty sake that plagues a lot of Crawl.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I wouldn't call "stop having fun wrong!!!" much of a design philosophy, but then again, I already gave up on Trunk crawl literally years ago, so it's not like I'm the target demographic anymore.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I gave up on Trunk when they removed rMut.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Now there's an interesting thought experiment. Have any of the other Crawl forks tried to impose the Nethack philosophy onto Crawl's existing structure? In my mind it's like the roguelike equivalent of that 'cursed image' thing.

'You try to push the boulder, but it was actually a boulder beetle!'
'You dip the wand into the potion. The wand turns into a mana viper! It was a potion of mutation.'
'You dip the wand into the potion. It turns into a huge magical tree, crushing you! It was a potion of lignification. You have died. Would you like to see your inventory?'
There's no way triple swords would survive that move.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
One-way stairs are good and crawl should add them. Hell crawl is my trunk.

Though quickcrawl is pretty fun too.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
We have them. They’re orange. :v:

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

So what I'm hearing here is we should re-implement trapdoor tomb. :shepface:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Floodkiller posted:

Thanks for the debug. I'll probably leave the enchant lower anyway because less error messages are good.

Yaaaay I'm helping! :downs:

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Come back into the zot 5 entry vault with the orb and a Pan Lord blocking the entrance turns my Fairy Dragon caster into a pig then casts silence then summons a balrog. And only one lung was cleared because I'd shattered my way to the orb. And this was the only item left equipped: the amulet of Meghain (around neck) {Harm *Drain Str-2 Int+9 Dex+4}

I had to use both phantom mirrors, box of beasts, and phial of floods to get out of the silence, then 2 hastes, 8 heal wounds, and 5 tports as a freaking pig before I finally land outside the vault. Holy crap do you stay a pig a long time...

edit: oh also I hadn't found a potion of cancellation all game either...

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 6, 2019

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Bogart posted:

We have them. They’re orange. :v:
We also have some that are down-only and can even send you down a few extra floors at random. Try them today!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

There's no way triple swords would survive that move.

I dunno, Nethack loves its goofy and dumb stuff.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Coulda sworn they already renamed them to claymores just a while ago.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
They got renamed by some fun hater weapons nerd who was all "but they're not even physically viable as a weapon!", but got changed back to double/triple swords in a rare instance of fun winning in trunk.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Claymores were in version 0.14 because of kilobyte and were brought back to true form by doy in 0.16. :eng101:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

a rare instance of fun winning in trunk.
Someone go fetch a Yak or something. We must give sacrifice in honor of Xom, because apparently miracles actually do happen.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I wouldn't even say Trunk hates fun, really. It just has a weirdly narrow definition of fun sometimes.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Remember when I said FD might make a good melee?

enhance...

enhance...

no, no, this can't be possible. ENHANCE.

not possible. enhance.

edit: just got it going on D2....

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 7, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I think that monster is about to be cut down to size.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The slashiest little butterfly.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The way permabuffs work make level 5-6 ones castable very very early

Speaking of permabuffs, is there any chance of having ozo's only fade temporarily upon taking fire damage, and refresh itself once you're out of combat? So you don't have to recast it, or, more realistically for me, forget to recast it

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
PET KITTY

NO CURSE THESE D2 BLADE HANDS

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Can you spot what's wrong with this picture?

(This is CPO)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, who the hell plays Deep Elves any more

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
if someone is actually using crab language other than haif I'll send FK a couple fixes, notably since mage = castercrab, you see a lot of creatures that are barely decastercrabed.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Araganzar posted:

if someone is actually using crab language other than haif I'll send FK a couple fixes, notably since mage = castercrab, you see a lot of creatures that are barely decastercrabed.

josephine is also "slingy crabmanine" because her name contains joseph, if you feel like getting into it

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did somebody say slingy crab marine

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
We all live with a slingy crab marine, a slingy crab marine, a slingy crab marine!

also, RARR I'M A FAIRY DRAGON:

The blade hands thing is really more abusive because FD starts with +6AC and +6EV and therefore is a very tough glass cannon. But so is a minotaur with a war axe.

FD is just a strong hybrid start. You can start Sk and have regen, song of slaying, shroud, spec weapon all castable at low failure very fast because you have 5 more AC than a robe user. Or start IE and have Ozo's.

I think maybe not allow permabuffs to be cast unless failure rate is 50% or less like with the servitor. That would prevent total abuse while not making it a pain in the rear end where you feel like you have to get regen down to 5% or you're gonna lose MP or have it go down at the worst time.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 7, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I hear that shaving helps with that.

quote:

The blade hands thing is really more abusive
I think it might be necessary to do something like make the casting cost of permabuffs increase based on failure rate sooner rather than later. Permabuffs are awesome and I wouldn't want to play the game without them again, but there needs to be something to make spell failure matter for them. You only need to succeed once, after all, while casting in combat has to succeed every time.

Right now, this really pushes it in the direction of letting you get away with stuff you really weren't supposed to.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm sorry, but what's the goodncrawl implementation of permabuffs exactly? How on earth is one allowed to have buffs active if they've got poor casting chances?

edit: I always kind of assumed the most naive implementation just auto-recasts buffs as they expire. This leads to unintended behavior such as flight expiring for 0 turns and dying in lava, or mana getting drained suddenly mid-fight as things recast, but I always kind of assumed that permabuff implementations where aware of all these edge cases and where designed with them in mind. Didn't someone mention that hellcrawl (?) eats your entire maxmp if your cast rate is poo poo? etc.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 7, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Just poked my head into Zot. Is it worth going into extended? Never done it before. I haven't found any brand weapon scrolls and I kinda stupidly used a bunch of my enchant weapon scrolls thinking that Okawaru would for SURE have given me a good artifact triple sword by now. I'm really not looking forward to trying to charge into new territory with pretty good gear but also the world's shittiest swordswordsword.

Edit: Definitely not 15-runing, fuuuuck that. I just mean picking up a few like Abyss, Slime, Tomb, etc.

Edit2: Proud to report, though, that even with a lovely weapon, Scroll of Immolation and RF+++ still demolishes Vaults 5 in an incredibly entertaining way.

Edit3: "Pmush is that really your best amulet?" Yes. I wasted three acquire scrolls trying to get better jewelry and I'm pissed. One of them was my first ring of rCorr at least(?)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 7, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Serephina posted:

I'm sorry, but what's the goodncrawl implementation of permabuffs exactly? How on earth is one allowed to have buffs active if they've got poor casting chances?

edit: I always kind of assumed the most naive implementation just auto-recasts buffs as they expire. This leads to unintended behavior such as flight expiring for 0 turns and dying in lava, or mana getting drained suddenly mid-fight as things recast, but I always kind of assumed that permabuff implementations where aware of all these edge cases and where designed with them in mind. Didn't someone mention that hellcrawl (?) eats your entire maxmp if your cast rate is poo poo? etc.

Your max MP is reduced by the cost of the spell and then you have the effect permanently (until you end it)

You are correct that in Hellcrawl a low success rate means it consumes more MP

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

Are you saying I have a buff problem? I don't have a buff problem!

cheetah7071 posted:

Your max MP is reduced by the cost of the spell and then you have the effect permanently (until you end it)

You also lose all your buffs if you change any armor pieces.

Clearly having blade hands up on D2 is unintended. Maybe if the cast % ever goes above 50% it should drop so you can't get into a spell with wizardry, brilliance, and/or +INT and then let it go back to 100%.

Having it periodically check failure % or periodically/randomly take MP leads to all kinds of unfun as mentioned above by Serephina. This way you could lose them due to being stat drained or putting on a -INT item or something but all those strike me as interesting unintended consequences rather than constantly annoying ones.

Here is the game for reference anyway.
pre:
Araganzar the Acrobat (Faerie Dragon Transmuter)   Turns: 60421, Time: 04:16:09

Health: 257/257    AC: 34    Str: 42    XL:     27
Magic:  10/22      EV: 52    Int: 43    God:    Cheibriados [******]
Gold:   6513       SH: 26    Dex: 51    Spells: 0/57 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis +     - Unarmed
rCold    + + .     Gourm    .   f - +3 buckler {rF+}
rNeg     + . .     Faith    .   (armour unavailable)
rPois    ∞         Spirit   .   G - +2 hat
rElec    +         Reflect  +   L - +0 cloak of the Valley {*Contam rElec rC+ Slay+4} (curse)
rCorr    +         Harm     .   (gloves currently unavailable)
MR       +++..                  (boots currently unavailable)
Stlth    ++........             U - amulet of the Monkey {Reflect *Corrode Int+3 Dex+4 Slay+2 SH+5}
HPRegen  1.52/turn              T - ring "Kautuuw" {MR+ Dex+5}
MPRegen  0.18/turn              Q - ring "Pium Cigh" {*Contam Str+10 Dex+3 Slay+3 SInv}
Game took under 3 hours, I accidentally logged into Zot last night and left it on while I watched Game of Thrones (yes I am the only human being who hasn't watched it yet SUE ME).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

You are correct that in Hellcrawl a low success rate means it consumes more MP
Yeah, that. It's still a fairly new feature and a work in progress. I've suggested that we do something like Hellcrawl's interpretation before and I still think it's a good idea. At high success rates it won't matter, but at low rates, it'll effectively average out to the cost of having to make multiple attempts to recast things in combat. Right now, permabuffs are insanely more cost-effective than any targeted spell of equal success rate.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, that. It's still a fairly new feature and a work in progress. I've suggested that we do something like Hellcrawl's interpretation before and I still think it's a good idea. At high success rates it won't matter, but at low rates, it'll effectively average out to the cost of having to make multiple attempts to recast things in combat. Right now, permabuffs are insanely more cost-effective than any targeted spell of equal success rate.
What if the MP cost is literally just increased by your failure chance? That, or +1 MP for every 10% of the failrate, but that feels punishing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PMush Perfect posted:

What if the MP cost is literally just increased by your failure chance? That, or +1 MP for every 10% of the failrate, but that feels punishing.

That's how hellcrawl does it. I don't know how it handles the success rate changing after the buff is up. Presumably it updates the cost but that means that if a mummy drains you you might suddenly lose your entire MP bar

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm thinking something like if your cast chance is under 90%, then the "sustain cost" goes up by an additional percentage of your maximum MP based on the inverse of your chance of success. If you have a ten percent cast chance, then there go 90% of your remaining MP. You'll never be entirely unable to cast at least low level spells, but if you're busy putting all your energy into a spell you should by rights not even be able to really use, then you won't be able to do a lot of sustained combat casting either.

Yes, it's punishing, but it's meant to be. Permabuffs are just honestly a bit too powerful right now. There has to be a reason for you to still invest XP in buff skills.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I feel like if this change is implemented, haste could become a permabuff. As a level 9 spell it seems fine to eliminate the contamination effect, assuming that it's actually as difficult to cast as a level 9 spell usually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

PMush Perfect posted:

Just poked my head into Zot. Is it worth going into extended? Never done it before. I haven't found any brand weapon scrolls and I kinda stupidly used a bunch of my enchant weapon scrolls thinking that Okawaru would for SURE have given me a good artifact triple sword by now. I'm really not looking forward to trying to charge into new territory with pretty good gear but also the world's shittiest swordswordsword.

Edit: Definitely not 15-runing, fuuuuck that. I just mean picking up a few like Abyss, Slime, Tomb, etc.

Edit2: Proud to report, though, that even with a lovely weapon, Scroll of Immolation and RF+++ still demolishes Vaults 5 in an incredibly entertaining way.

Edit3: "Pmush is that really your best amulet?" Yes. I wasted three acquire scrolls trying to get better jewelry and I'm pissed. One of them was my first ring of rCorr at least(?)

Huge Disclaimer: I am kind of a moron and I play this game intermittently. None of my advice should be treated as canonical best-practice. With that said:

A win is a win, but if you're interested in trying out some of the other extended areas, I'd say that I'd feel largely comfortable in the Abyss with your equipment set; the problem is that the threats in the Abyss can vary from 'tons of popcorn and minor inconveniences' to 'immediately lethal in 2 turns' almost instantly, and if you're not familiar with the way the various Abyss threats synergize you can potentially die very quickly. It's generally the safest way to accrue gear for tackling other extended areas, but that can be a very, very slow process.

I will say there's nothing wrong with a regen amulet, either, that's a solid slot choice well into extended. The main problem I see is the glaring lack of MR+. Magic Resistance is pretty key for a lot of later areas where you can end up seeing loads of spell-casters; there's few worse feelings than losing a character to failing hex resistance checks a couple of times.

If you haven't done Crypt, that's probably the safest place to scrounge outside of the main 3-rune areas, actually, although you have to be wary of curse skulls, liches, and some potentially quite nasty vaults. Next is probably Abyss (which I generally find to be safer, if a little slower, than clearing Vault 5 for its rune), provided you're very careful with how you handle the various enemies that can lock you down and hellfire you to death. Slime is...surprisingly nasty, actually, getting polymorphed and then dogpiled by the various eye enemies can be very, very bad, and TRJ can be an absolute bastard. Elf is a Real Neato Place with tons of loot, but with low magic resistance like you have, well, I hope you enjoy your upcoming Abyss runs. Elf is also significantly easier if you're a caster or have a wand of clouds with a lot of charges; elves are almost all glass cannons and succumb to area damage pretty quickly.

If you can handle all of those areas, then believe it or not Hell is...still dangerous, yes, but its difficulty spikes aren't really worse than what Pan can throw at you. And Tomb is just balls and wants you to play really, extremely slow, and can still potentially kill you even if you do that right.

E:
Okay, rereading the dump and actually seeing your branches, I'm guessing you've cleared Elf already? Crypt is kind of a no-brainer for your next area to poke into if that's the case, and as a bonus the final floor tends to have lots of nice loot. More rN would be nice, but isn't really necessary for it. Just be prepared to bail if a dangerous caster shows up with an entourage.