Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

So many games feel like they have an AMAZING WAY!!!!! to re-invent the wheel over just handing out XP or giving out levels and then letting people assign points and stats.

Neotech 2 is just going with Drakar och Demonar's (i.e. BRP's) system and adding systems for training, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

LatwPIAT posted:

Neotech 2 is just going with Drakar och Demonar's (i.e. BRP's) system and adding systems for training, though.

Even if it's all using the Eon rules, which I then suppose using the DoD rules as a basis somehow.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

That Old Tree posted:

lol I forgot it wasn't just Mørke who pulled out the "oh, it was test, you see" bullshit.

Also,

Holden Shearer posted:

Firstly, while yes, that is my job, I didn't write the preview (although I did help get the Charm concepts banged together), John [Morke] did. 
Of course. For those with archives access, this stuff starts here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549274&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=14

SA had a lot more of the kinds of idiots defending stuff like that back then, apparently, but I still remember thinking of it as the least bad TRPG forum I could find. Wow.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
How do you not realise what a terrible idea those words are. I do not understand how they got that far and then showed people it expecting them to say how its getting them hyped to play the game.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Exalted 3rd Edition: Working Out

Finesse is the amount of control the sorcerer has over how the sorcerous working actually...happens. This is rated 1, 3 or 5, and that is the difficulty of the Occult rolls at each interval. No matter what, your working is going to broadly do what you want it to do. High Finesse, however, lets you define the specifics of how it's done. Finesse 1 and Finesse 5 will be equally effective, mind you. Finesse is just how much control the player has over defining the effect. At Finesse 1, the GM determines everything. The Working will always be what you wanted - if you're trying to make a clay golem, you're going to get a loyal golem made of clay. Its shape, personality and abilities, however, will be decided by the GM. At Finesse 3, you give a rough description of how what you want happens, which the GM can then polish or embellish with quirks, twists and so on without undermining your core description. At Finesse 5, you define exactly how it works, period, with the ST only having veto power over specific elements. You can lower the Finesse mid-project to get lower difficulties, but each step you drop counts as one botch towards the final complications of the working.

Means are the resources you have put towards the project on top of your baseline Can Do Sorcery powers. Means can take all kinds of forms, but their benefit is always the same: a bonus to the Terminus. Multiple Means do stack, and the design intent is that you will need the extra rolls for more ambitious workings to be able to happen. By default, with no Means, you have a Terminus of 5. What can means include? Every relevant Ability you have at 5 or at 3+ with an appropriate specialty gives +1 Means. For example, Medicine 5 to make new life, or Performance 5 to make background music that confuses and mindwarps visitors. The ST may give +2 Means instead if you have invested a ton of Charms or supernatural powers that enhance or are based on the relevant Ability. Likewise, any spell you know whose function is related to the working can be tapped to give +1 Means, like Death of Obsidian Butterflies if you're trying to create living obsidian butterflies. The aid of another sorcerer who can use the same Circle spells as the working's Circle gives +1 Means, as does the aid of a sueprnatural being who, while not a sorcerer, has powers that naturally assist in the owrking, such as a water elemental in trying to revive a dead river. Each such assistant gives +1 Means. Likewise, a group of non-sorcerers with notable Occult skill give +1 Means. However, these do not stack with each other - you can get one sorcerer, one supernatural cirtter, or one cult or other organization. In theory, a large group of fellow sorcerers working together would give +2 Means instead, but such groups are quite rare. Spending extra time (and thus extending the interval between rolls) can give Means - going from one week to one month intervals gives +1 Means, and one week to 3 months gives +2 Means. One week to one year gives +3 Means, but that means spending multiple years on your project. Rare or esoteric materials will also provide Means, with each special component giving +1 Means. The ST decides what counts as an exotic component for this purpose, but the severed head of a Wyld behemoth coated in runes might aid in warding against the Wyld, or an ancient orichalcum lantern lit by the Sun's own fire might be used to help purify a Shadowland. Particularly rare or powerful components might give +2 Means instead. Having access to a sorcerous lab or ritual chamber stocked with useful esoteric texts, occult reagents and so on gives 1 Means, but even the wealth of the Realm does not provide many of these - assembling such a lab is usually an adventure in itself. A First Age lab or sorcerous infrastructure would give +2 Means instead, if repaired and restored to its full capacity.

If you were to lose access to a Means mid-working, it reduces your Terminus and counts as one botch towards the final complications. However, if you've already used up the intervals you would have without that means and your next roll would require it, you do still get one last roll. However, once the roll is made, you halve the number of successes you get. If htis isn't enough to finish, your working fails.

Unlike spells, however, you do not strictly need to be initiated into the appropriate Circle to create a Working of that Circle. A Terrestrial Circle Sorcerer can attempt a Celestial Circle working. It's just dangerous, difficult, and takes ettra work, which you have to describe as part of your proicess. Pursuing a working beyond the bounds of your circle increases the difficulty of each roll by 2 per Circle you don't have, so you're probably going to want a low Finesse. Each failed roll counts as a botch for purposes of complicating the final outcome, and any actual botch ruins the effort entirely as well as bringing on disasters. Terrestrial Circle sorcerers also may not attempt Ambition 3 Solar Workings at all, period. The default interval length when overreaching yourself this way increases from 1 week to 3 months for one Circle above or one year for two Circles. Spending extra time for Means increases this to one, 3 or 5 years (for one Circle above) or 3, 5 or 10 years (for two Circles). Further, completing these Workings costs 4 additional XP per Circle you don't have.

Can a sorcerous working be undone? No. Not at all. Once a working is created, it cannot be countered or destroyed or dispelled. The closest you can do is making a working that attempts to achieve the opposite effect, so that the practical effects of both workings cancel out mechanically. This does not mean either working stops existing, however. The example: a Dragon-Blooded sorcerer blesses a trade route to make travel along it faster, while a Solar makes a counter-working to slow travel. Mechanically, this means that travel is at normal speed. However, the actual in-world effects remain. The Dragon-blood's working bound the local spirits to care for the road and aid travelers, while the Solar's cursed travelers with irrational caution and made any steed brought on the road panic and flee. So now, a traveling caravan loses its horses when it starts the trip on the road, but then minor elementals come to their aid in pulling the wagons. The caravan leader is beset by doubts and fear, but spirits whisper to them in the night to soothe them. The trip takes normal time but has become extremely weird.

The easiest way, however, is just to interfere before it's completed. Get rid of their Means and gently caress things up for them! Noticing that a working is actually starting to happen is a difficulty 3 Occult roll, and telling what it's actually going to do is difficulty 5. Sorcerers lower both difficulties by 1, and anyone who sees the sorcerer setting up the working (or their subordinates) performing the appropriate rituals also reduces both by 1. (These stack.)

Next time: Thaumaturgy

megane
Jun 20, 2008

EthanSteele posted:

How do you not realise what a terrible idea those words are. I do not understand how they got that far and then showed people it expecting them to say how its getting them hyped to play the game.

I imagine a bunch of their audience were hyped to read it. Goons are awful but compared to some people we're loving saints. And, uh, if you read that thread like half the goons are going "welllllll it's creepy but that's the point, how flavorful!!!"

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm just ultimately confused by so much of Holden and Morke's poo poo. There's the obvious poo poo with the sex stuff and adherence to White Wolf sacred cows that should have been slaughtered ages ages ago (BP/XP split, the idea of Solars being just mortals but better, and so on), but they had some weird loving ticks. For instance, they HATED the idea of someone picking up a tree and using it like a loving baseball bat because that didn't make sense physics-wise, despite the fact that literally anything the Exalted do defies physics (note that Lunars 3e has a Strength charm that lets you ignore this restriction and just go hog-wild). They had this weird hate of stuff like Mr. Fantastic and the T-1000 being an inspiration for Lunars, rejecting categorically anything that wasn't "animal-based" (Lunars ignores this and just goes for poo poo like stretching your arms to grab somebody from Short-Medium range, shifting your body around your weapon to prevent yourself from being disarmed or shifting your body around someone else's weapon to disarm them, having acid blood, and so on). Holden alleged it would take a Solar working, the highest magic possible, to change your physical sexual characteristics (Vance immediately backtracked it and said Terrestrial would obviously suffice).

I just really don't know how they wound up the way they did. I guess hanging around too much with 2e fans could do that?

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

I just really don't know how they wound up the way they did. I guess hanging around too much with 2e fans could do that?

And yet they hated 2e to the point that they explicitly say they wouldn't hire anyone working from just a 2e backdrop and spend chunks of the books "winning" arguments against fans like if charms are things in-universe. (Which they aren't, and you don't know by name, despite having elaborate anime attack names.)

I got nothing. Grogs are weird.

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 6, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

gourdcaptain posted:

And yet they hated 2e to the point that they explicitly say they wouldn't hire anyone working from just a 2e backdrop and spend chunks of the books "winning" arguments against fans like if charms are things in-universe. (Which they aren't, and you don't know by name, despite having elaborate anime attack names.)

Several of them even have two names. I don't know why.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Edit: Got the avatar advice, ignore.

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 8, 2019

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SunAndSpring posted:

Giving superfans the keys to the setting is usually not a good idea.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

This is a little late but, someone mentioned Hic Svnt Dracones having the worst leveling up system ever and I think I skipped that part of the review; I'm currently thinking about a slightly unorthodox player character progression system so I'd love to know what rock bottom looks like?

E: the 'are charms things in game' was always such a dumb argument. The only reason it """mattered""" was the question of whether the Wyld Hunt should know and prepare for classic Solar competencies, or be able to use math and Essence-sensing charms to determine whether their target can do X or Y. i can't remember if there was any other reason to get so hung up about it, especially given there was nothing stopping players from homebrewing charms, which was encouraged if difficult.

I will say, that general concern does probably tie into why there's so many charms: wanting characters to never or rarely have the same charm loadiuts even if they have the same area of expertise, in order to (ideally) make all these heroes of legend not feel pressed from the same mold -even though they are mechanically. That's might also be a reason for Dice Tricks Forever: if the effect is just mechanical, it doesn't have that homogenizing effect. This is really more of the Devs responding to 2e without thinking about it, because 2e did have a problem with there only being a small number of useful, balanced, and fun to use charms in some Abilities, leading to characters that had all the same available actions after just a little investment.

Ironically, 3e DBs is pretty much infinitely better about this problem, and Solars still have too little War and dice tricks get samey faster than overt powers (I'm not against dice tricks they should just be rarer and more fun- possibly even having their own power tree. A player who wants to just build a terrifying dice engine that means their mundane-looking swordplay is preternaturally good is fine, but if the player just wants to get to the giant glowing sword beams that should be a different track).

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 6, 2019

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
In general, the only apologetic I will do for 3e is say that I don't mind if charm trees for Ability-based Exalted are like around 25 charms, so long as there's distinct trees within them to go down that are optional. In Dragon-bloods, I think there's 28 Melee charms (of which 5 are Signatures, meaning you can only choose one until you hit Essence 5), and they're siloed into stuff like "this is the damage tree, this is the defend other tree, this is the counter-attack tree" and so on. I think that's the magic number where there's build variety without just collapsing into a pile of marginal horse-poo poo like Solar Melee (three different ways to do a ranged attack! Multiple charms that just upgrade a previous charm! A weird tree for killing creatures of darkness that doesn't define what a creature of darkness is this edition!).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

SunAndSpring posted:

They had this weird hate of stuff like Mr. Fantastic and the T-1000 being an inspiration for Lunars, rejecting categorically anything that wasn't "animal-based" (Lunars ignores this and just goes for poo poo like stretching your arms to grab somebody from Short-Medium range, shifting your body around your weapon to prevent yourself from being disarmed or shifting your body around someone else's weapon to disarm them, having acid blood, and so on).

I'm pretty sure what Holden hated was the idea that Lunar magic eventually went into being totally protean and basically just a lump of silver goop that can reshape itself anyhow (like the T-1000 or the really extreme extensions of Mr. Fantastic's powers), not the idea of doing arm-stretches. I don't think Lunars 3e really has a different take on this (the devs are on record as saying that Lunars can take human and animal shapes and that's it forever, because restricting them to animal themes made making Charms way easier). See also chimera going back to being a mix of two animals and not a giant silver The Thing.

quote:

Holden alleged it would take a Solar working, the highest magic possible, to change your physical sexual characteristics (Vance immediately backtracked it and said Terrestrial would obviously suffice).

As I recall, either Holden or John (I forget which) thought it would take a Celestial working to change your gender expression. I don't think it could ever take more than that because giving somebody shapeshifting is obviously Celestial.

The current take, last time I checked, is that Terrestrial will let you transition as well as modern medicine does and Celestial will give you a perfect changeover or even let you alter your gender at will. Possibly this was either canonized or changed somewhere in Lunars 3e, which has a lot to say on that topic? Not sure. I know some of the trans writers on staff wanted it to be even easier and brought a bunch of charts explaining ancient transition technology involving horse urine, but I forget what came of it.

quote:

In retrospect, a lot, a lot, a lot about Third Edition comes from the huge arguments people got into over Second Edition, yeah. Like, it's kind of amazing to look back on that period now, when people would get into screaming fights over whether "Solaroid" is insulting or the moonsilver doomtrain. I'm not sure if the culture has changed or if the fandom has just withered to the point that it just can't support that level of contention any longer.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 6, 2019

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Given that the book still sells well, I'd assume it was the fandom culture shifting.

And also a ton of the worst fans getting slowly banned out of the discussion on OPP forums.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

Given that the book still sells well, I'd assume it was the fandom culture shifting.

And also a ton of the worst fans getting slowly banned out of the discussion on OPP forums.

Both are possible.

Like, I have to wonder to what degree the attempts to develop a bureaucracy system were shifted by the one very loud guy who spent years screaming about how any system that stopped him from creating a perfect Solar utopia was a sign of the rot of moral relativism and a sign that the authors wanted to see BAD GUYS WIN.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

As I recall, either Holden or John (I forget which) thought it would take a Celestial working to change your gender expression. I don't think it could ever take more than that because giving somebody shapeshifting is obviously Celestial.

The current take, last time I checked, is that Terrestrial will let you transition as well as modern medicine does and Celestial will give you a perfect changeover or even let you alter your gender at will. Possibly this was either canonized or changed somewhere in Lunars 3e, which has a lot to say on that topic? Not sure. I know some of the trans writers on staff wanted it to be even easier and brought a bunch of charts explaining ancient transition technology involving horse urine, but I forget what came of it.

I feel like permanent body modification is firmly within Terrestrial's stated efficacy. If you can create a completely new species, I'm sure you can gently caress with chromosomes and create fully functioning reproductive systems and all that. Celestial shape-shifting is more that you can actively switch between, I dunno, having a snake head that shoots lasers and not having that.

Really I just want them to give in and say "Terrestrial workings will do everything you need" since there's this big thread on the Onyx Path forums where people are arguing about it in a way that makes me want to die, both from just seeing cis people's takes on this poo poo and from seeing someone say, "Well, if you get a sex change with a Terrestrial circle working, your Exaltation will fall off" which is the dumbest thing I've read in a while.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Honestly that may be the dumbest claim I've ever seen about Exalted, and that's a competitive category!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

Really I just want them to give in and say "Terrestrial workings will do everything you need" since there's this big thread on the Onyx Path forums where people are arguing about it in a way that makes me want to die, both from just seeing cis people's takes on this poo poo and from seeing someone say, "Well, if you get a sex change with a Terrestrial circle working, your Exaltation will fall off" which is the dumbest thing I've read in a while.

That's honestly probably a decent way to talk the devs into it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rand Brittain posted:

Both are possible.

Like, I have to wonder to what degree the attempts to develop a bureaucracy system were shifted by the one very loud guy who spent years screaming about how any system that stopped him from creating a perfect Solar utopia was a sign of the rot of moral relativism and a sign that the authors wanted to see BAD GUYS WIN.

Since they asked me and I think two or three other people to try to come up with a bureaucracy system, I don't think so?

But spending a literal page going in circles about how Charms are non-discrete and unnameable despite obviously being very discrete and floridly named, both in game terms and as setting elements, seems much more "I win because I'm the author."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

SunAndSpring posted:

I feel like permanent body modification is firmly within Terrestrial's stated efficacy. If you can create a completely new species, I'm sure you can gently caress with chromosomes and create fully functioning reproductive systems and all that. Celestial shape-shifting is more that you can actively switch between, I dunno, having a snake head that shoots lasers and not having that.

You can tell a lot about a person's anxieties from their weird-assed gaming arguments.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Bieeanshee posted:

You can tell a lot about a person's anxieties from their weird-assed gaming arguments.
Hobgoblins 👏 Are 👏 Capable 👏 Of 👏 Siege 👏 Warfare!

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 6, 2019

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

gourdcaptain posted:

The "are charms things in-game"? question was also one that I never could get a GM to answer because it always bothered me a bit, like. When my character is laying plans with someone else or talking about their powers, etc. how would the conversation be shaped? Without knowing if charms are explicitly things in-game with those names, it gets hard to define. On the other hand if they're not explicitly things in-game, why do they have these over-the-top names and wouldn't every Exalt who knows the same charm have a different name for it, if they even have a name for it?

Joe Slowboat posted:

This is a little late but, someone mentioned Hic Svnt Dracones having the worst leveling up system ever and I think I skipped that part of the review; I'm currently thinking about a slightly unorthodox player character progression system so I'd love to know what rock bottom looks like?

Okay, so. One of the primary definers for character growth is money, since money can be used to gain more stats and gear, and money is also a stat, and it's a stat that you can level. An easy way to level your money stats is literally just to trade stuff among player characters, since "did you buy a really expensive thing?"(with no caveat that it has to be a different thing or cannot be bought from other players) one of the checkmarks for "am I allowed to add +1 to my money stat this session?" And these conditions are repeatable. So you can become infinitely rich and then knock over the other stats by buying cybernetic augments(except the one stat that they reference augs for but didn't actually remember to add the augs for in the game text).

PurpleXVI posted:

So, let me get this straight. If I start out by buffing my Ledger stats sky high, quickly earn 1000 credits, buy a death ray, then I get a boost to my Ledger stats, which will allow me to buy more death rays, or other stupidly expensive items(I guess it could be taken as meaning a different item each time, but I only need one Annihilate-status weapon, anyway). So it's like some sort of self-sustaining reaction where the richer I am, the faster I'll get richer. Then I'll use my normal level-ups to bump my body stats to 3 as fast as possible, so I can pay money to boost them even quicker... actually, surgery counts as an item, right? So hey, I'll get a ledger bonus for increasing my body stats under the scalpel, too!

This system is loving stupid.

https://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/purplexvi/hc-svnt-dracones/#10

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
If a lunar exalt is trans their exaltation gives them their proper gender expression just, instant and free, incidentally.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

PurpleXVI posted:

The "are charms things in-game"? question was also one that I never could get a GM to answer because it always bothered me a bit, like. When my character is laying plans with someone else or talking about their powers, etc. how would the conversation be shaped? Without knowing if charms are explicitly things in-game with those names, it gets hard to define. On the other hand if they're not explicitly things in-game, why do they have these over-the-top names and wouldn't every Exalt who knows the same charm have a different name for it, if they even have a name for it?

The book states that they have names for player convenience to reference them, but in-fiction they are just expressions of your prowess. The example given is people would remark on your incredible strength, not your use of Increasing Strength Exercise or Ten Ox Meditation.

Conversations would be "and then you'd jump to this rooftop" rather than "and then you'd use Monkey Leap Technique to reach this rooftop" though an Exalt that studiously names all of their techniques and writes them down in a little book to codify every aspect of their abilities is certainly a character.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

EthanSteele posted:

The book states that they have names for player convenience to reference them, but in-fiction they are just expressions of your prowess. The example given is people would remark on your incredible strength, not your use of Increasing Strength Exercise or Ten Ox Meditation.

Conversations would be "and then you'd jump to this rooftop" rather than "and then you'd use Monkey Leap Technique to reach this rooftop" though an Exalt that studiously names all of their techniques and writes them down in a little book to codify every aspect of their abilities is certainly a character.

Except that's kind of bullshit? Because every area of expertise builds up a jargon around the things it does, whether it's weight-lifting, fighting styles, schmoozing sales or practicing medicine, so even outside of crazy kung fu drama it's not weird to do this and this bizarre reticence is probably one of the biggest sources of "Exalted is afraid to be the anime it obviously is." The fact that Exalted first-and-foremost is absolutely a high-flying martial arts action game is all the more reason to not get real weird and pretentious about it.

(And this whole thing is almost certainly mostly Mørke being a weird snooty auteur and not, like, some central conceit that makes Exalted specifically Exalted.)

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
In the games I've been in we've done martial arts charms generally as discrete techniques that people in the know can recognise, no matter what you call it they can see that it's based on Snake Style technique of "Snake Strikes the Heel" or whatever. You can deliver a powerful knee strike to a guy and nothing is stopping you giving the attack a fancy name, but no one will recognise that it's specifically a combo of Thunderbolt Attack Prana, Ferocious Jab, Falling Hammer Strike and Fists of Iron Technique.

By giving them fancy names in the book I think it's clear they like fancy names and think that's cool, they just aren't forcing you to yell "Thunderbolt Attack Prana!" as you do a move unless you want to.

Apparently it was a thing in previous editions that the first solars sat around and codified the use of essence with names and they would agree that the particular way you enhanced your sword was most commonly referred to as One Weapon, Two Blows. And that in 2E they were actually charms that you activate in-fiction and it meant people kept yelling about how it meant you weren't actually strong, you were just using a magical spell called Nine-Aeon Thews to lift a thing? loving hell.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm okay with just saying that sometimes Charms are things, and sometimes not, at your convenience.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm okay with just saying that sometimes Charms are things, and sometimes not, at your convenience.

Yes, well, that would be sane. Also, using the word Prana less.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

MollyMetroid posted:

If a lunar exalt is trans their exaltation gives them their proper gender expression just, instant and free, incidentally.

Okay, now I want to play Exalted.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rand Brittain posted:

I think some of the Immaculate things in particular were explicitly "You will learn THIS move, then THAT move, and then the Form Charm" and it's like, this was a martial art created by the star nerds for their elemental monk minions: Of course it's loving codified.

Also what the hell are those people babbling about, do they think the Exaltation is stored in the balls/ovaries?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Bieeanshee posted:

Okay, now I want to play Exalted.

IKR? Maybe I'll try and assemble something and ping you in
gotta find a gm for this cause I'm not sitting out a chance to play it

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

MollyMetroid posted:

IKR? Maybe I'll try and assemble something and ping you in
gotta find a gm for this cause I'm not sitting out a chance to play it

That'd be awesome. :D
I've never actually played, but first time for everything.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

MollyMetroid posted:

And then some; apparently Leviathan used to be a weedy AFAB femme before Exaltation transformed him into a seven-foot meatwall of masculinity!

E: and yeah regarding what That Old Tree said, you probably COULD formalize the techniques and conditioning used by Exalts into discrete moves with specific names, but only a huge nerd would do that in-setting and most people are not huge nerds. Also given the limited reference pool of Celestial Exalts and their tendency to evolve their Essence in unique and idiosyncratic ways, trying to come up with any sort of grand unified theory can be a bit of a crapshoot.

Thesaurasaurus fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 6, 2019

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Part of what makes this so surreal for me is that for a long while Holden and Morke were the golden boys of the Exalted franchise. Back in the latter days of 2e when everyone assumed that the game was more or less dead, they kept it alive by producing a bunch of content for free and eventually putting entirely new books out. And since it was 2e, a raging garbage fire of bad mechanics and awful Charms, they came off in comparison as if not system geniuses but as people who knew what they were doing. Hell, they even re-did Graceful Wicked Masques of all things.

It was at this point that I drifted away from the game and stopped following it or hearing news about it so coming back from that era into today's time of 'Morke is a sex pest, the 3e corebook is 70% charms and Holden wants you to summon rapeghosts' has been jarring.

EDIT: I should note that this isn't in anyway intended as a defence or validation of them, just noting that they sure fell a long way.

ZeroCount fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 6, 2019

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

gourdcaptain posted:

Yes, well, that would be sane. Also, using the word Prana less.

I'm not going to lie, one of the things that bothers me the most about 3e charms is how badly the names try to imitate previous editions of Exalted without acknowledging that many of the early charm names were actual references to real things or specific examples of mythology (or anime). I think at least few melee charms are named after things from The Book of Five Rings and when older charms had prana in the name they explicitly assumed that yes you are using your control of your breath and body to work magic because in Creation yoga stuff actually is magic. It's hard for most people to understand that when Exalted first came out, but back then actually paying attention to non-Western fantasy and mythology was a new thing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bieeanshee posted:

That'd be awesome. :D
I've never actually played, but first time for everything.

Lemme put it this way: I swore off Exalted during the 3e Kickstarter. and I really want to play DBs or Lunars now.

I have never wanted to play Lunars

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ZeroCount posted:

Part of what makes this so surreal for me is that for a long while Holden and Morke were the golden boys of the Exalted franchise. Back in the latter days of 2e when everyone assumed that the game was more or less dead, they kept it alive by producing a bunch of content for free and eventually putting entirely new books out. And since it was 2e, a raging garbage fire of bad mechanics and awful Charms, they came off in comparison as if not system geniuses but as people who knew what they were doing. Hell, they even re-did Graceful Wicked Masques of all things.

It was at this point that I drifted away from the game and stopped following it or hearing news about it so coming back from that era into today's time of 'Morke is a sex pest, the 3e corebook is 70% charms and Holden wants you to summon rapeghosts' has been jarring.

EDIT: I should note that this isn't in anyway intended as a defence or validation of them, just noting that they sure fell a long way.

Sometimes great passion and dedication is what's needed, and sometimes they'll lead you on the road to disappointment.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rand Brittain posted:

Sometimes great passion and dedication is what's needed, and sometimes they'll lead you on the road to disappointment.

Also it was an immense amount of unpaid work, and for that alone it should've just been left to die.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

The Rifter 9½, part 6: "However, the Vaudevillain will NEVER steal, con, or cheat to obtain his pies."

The Jokest.

The Vaudevillain
A villain for HU2
By Julius Rosenstein J.P. Ferkelberger

This is a villain who was raised on the stories of his grandfather, a vaudeville entertainer, and was determined to bring it back. Of course, not only did this not work out in the hot 1990s, he just didn't have any talent to begin with. Of course, all that was left for him to do was go mad and become determined to teach everybody a villainous lesson with vaudeville-themed villainy. He doesn't have any powers or even any particular skills, but does have a taser cane, a seltzer bottle sometimes filled with dangerous or harmless liquids (no rules), and pies he uses to blind people. He's, at heart, an intensely cut-rate version of the Joker. Like, the vaudeville thing might be a cute gimmick on its own, especially if there was more to it, but... no, he has to be crazy in a deeply generic way. I love the name, I love the gimmick, I hate the execution.

The Rifter 9½ posted:

Aliases: The Vaudevillain (also "that Nutcase" and several other derogatory terms).

The Rifter 9½ posted:

Super Power Category: Special Training - Vaudeville entertainer (unique) and Crazy Villain.

The Rifter 9½ posted:

The Vaudevillain is seriously whacked out - insane.

The Rifter 9½ posted:

:sigh:

Other Wacky Superbeings

How kooky.

Catswoman

• The Cat Burglars (By Julius Rosenstein J.P. Ferkelberger): Given the name of "Fluffy" at a young age and humiliated by it, there was nothing left for a young gymnast to do but become... a Catwoman knockoff. Really reaching into the bin of originality, Julius. In any case, she kidnaps cats from wealthy owners and ransoms them back. Well, that's a cute gimmick in need of a better character, at least. Also, she's "emotionally disturbed (no kidding)". She rescued a cat named Agatha from perfume research, who turned out to be a mutant which... made her mildly smarter than your average cat. Also she lives below a school for the deaf that can't hear that she has 40-50 cats tucked away. (I think they'd be able to smell this cat-piss villain...)
The rest of these were written by Alex Marciniszyn P.O.D.

Commando Ed, Foam, and Gasser.

• Big Bouncer: An overweight criminal who dreamed of becoming a crime lord, Bob was kidnapped by an alien who wanted to emulate slapstick comedy and replaced his fat with "super-bounce material". Despite this, bouncing is not detailed as a super-power of this (he has a healing factor and enhanced senses), though he has a unique damage reduction power. So, technically, though he's described as bouncing around... there's no rules for that. Hopefully, your GM will be able to roll with this.
  • Candle Man: A wax man created by a wizard who conveniently died right after creating it, this waxen golem is going around trying to accomplish... whatever it was created to do. It can shoot hot wax, takes reduced damage, and can regenerate from even the smallest piece of wax left if not buried on holy ground. Doesn't really seem that "wacky, and also doesn't really involve fire, so it's more just a wax guy than a candle guy. C'mon, give him a little wick on his head or... something, Marciniszyn!
  • Commando Ed:: A super-soldier who somehow got amnesia. His super-soldier programming caused him to go to ground from the base he was on, and use a mysterious shrinking ray he had to escape. He has a phobia of soldiers and cowers when explosions go off. He has a secret identity as a crane operator now, and his coworkers think has PTSD, but... well, it honestly just sounds like he has PTSD. Funny He's got enhanced attributes, is laser-resistant, and has a temporary shrink ray that needs to be "unjammed" by hitting it sometimes. Shrinking is funny! Like PTSD!
  • Doctor Plastic: So, this is a guy who was transferred into a plastic body by a scientist, that, like Candle Man's wizard, had the decency to die in a car crash. A funny car crash, no doubt. He looks like a person-sized action figure who can vary his density from super-tough to fluid, and has a variety of robot powers, some of which are actually from Heroes Unlimited 2nd Edition, some of which are from whole cloth. Also he can recognize Vampires and Shadow Beasts because he randomly has the "Nightstalking" power that gives him an affinity for shadows. He fights people with a funny shotgun and a hilarious handgun.
  • Flying Snake: This is actually two characters: Flying Snake, an flying alien robot snake, and Bar'ren, an forcefielded alien snake that shapeshifts into human form. They're evil and spy on "criminal organizations" to sell them to the competition. Hilari... look, it's... like, it's odd, but a lot of these are just odd by comic book standards.
  • Foam: This is an evil sponge monster from another dimension that "attack[s] any good thing or person it sees, and then runs away". Mysterious! Hilarious! Has an I.Q. of 30 for some reason! That's 300 in real-life! Yes, I know that I.Q. number doesn't exist on the test! No, it is not otherwise addressed! Yes, "sponge guy" is the essence of this "joke"! No, he doesn't have sponge powers! I don't really have a ending for this so I'll just add more exclamation points!!!
  • Gasser: This is a supervillain driven to madness by "strange gasses" that made him obsessively invent gas weapons to become a supervillain... and he's also obsessed with bodybuilding? Why? Haven't you been exposed to strange gases that make you just wanna lift? Well, if you haven't, don't judge. He has different types of gases including a "hypnosis gas". I guess laughing gas is kind of in the humor vein? Sort of? Also, paralysis gas has the duration/effect reduced by half on an a successful save. So you're... half-paralyzed? I guess?
  • Lights Out!: An alien that steals things with the power to turn invisible and turn other people invisible. Also it's a cat that takes on human form through metamorphosis? I mean, that's kind of random, but once again, it's more just slightly off-kilter than goofy. Also has Clock Manipulation, which lets him manipulate clocks, because... yeah, just kind of random. Does not actually put any lights out.
  • Manakin: Another android developed by a super-genius. Remarkably, this genius is still alive, and so he goes around in a shiny gold costume enabling the scientist's evil schemes with his superhuman physical traits. Also he can swap out eyeballs for different forms of vision, attach extra arms or tentacles, or attach mushroom-like-attachments to his brain for ill-defined mission and foe information. "Note: His creator may be a super-genius, but he is a super-weenie who will never engage in combat."
  • Razorfish: A man who bought an ancient stone carving of a piranha from South America, which turned out to contain the essence of an "ancient evil shaman". "... in his native tongue, the shaman's name is 'Getonwithyourlife'." No, the guy wasn't a particular loser or anything, so I don't know what that's a punchline to, if anything. The shaman possessed him and gave him the power to turn into a flying super-tough piranha that can bite through nearly anything, and it's not clear - I guess the shaman takes over when he's a fish, but otherwise not? It's a goofy visual but pretty unclear.
  • Rocket Dog: A scientist ("Darren Nightbulb", because... Lightbulb...?) discovered another dimension where his favorite cartoon character, Rocket Dog, is a real person, and brought him to this dimension I guess. It doesn't actually say. Rocket Dog flies super-fast, is super-tough, and has telekinesis including a "telekinetic bite". Darrel has an inflatable hand that does extra damage but no actual statblock. They use a leash, mainly so Darrel can get dragged along when Rocket Dog flies. That's a pretty funny slapstick gag! I thought Alex would never hit it, but the eleventh time's the charm, as they say.
  • Slappy: A guy who got rich stealing a magic gold statue in Africa that turned his hands leathery and gave him super-slapping powers. So, like you do, you put on clown makeup and go around slapping people as a supervillain. But the only thing they really let him do is ignore invulnerability or push super-strong people over, they don't do any extra damage, so... it's not terribly useful? Also he can randomly turn invisible.
  • Slugg: An alien with a "survival suit" that's basically a robot slug, and he has a random smattering of psionic powers. The slug-suit can climb walls and shoot eye lasers amongst its laundry list of features. Not vulnerable to salt.
  • Squish: A "master chemist" who won the lottery and used the money to invent sticky goop balloons she traps villains in while wearing a sticky-proof costume. Which is a silly gimmick done entirely straightforwardly.

Razorfish, Rocket Dog, and Slugg.

I guess what I'm saying is that Marciniszyn should probably stick to (not) editing Palladium books rather than start a career in (not) comedy, really. Harsh, but he should probably stick with what he's (not) good at. The Freddie Williams art is solid, but a lot of the art I didn't include (i.e. most of it) is because they're remarkably straightforward pieces of art for the material in question. You'd think Candle Man would look weird, right?

Not really.

Next: Now kiss!