Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

BigglesSWE posted:

He does have quite a tragic tone I his voice this time around, more than usual, so be warned.

Second episode has a bunch of killer whales playing volleyball with a penguin. It also shows an ice bear catching himself a baby seal. It ain’t pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If anyone liked season 1 of The Tick I can heartily recommend season 2. It's great so far and as I get near the end, I think it's getting even better - episodes 7 and 8 are my favorites so far (haven't watched 9 and 10 yet).

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

BigglesSWE posted:

Our Planet on Netflix is very very good. Basically Planet Earth III but with stronger emphasis on the climate change angle.

Ahh, I love me some good fiction!

Remember when everybody used the first Planet Earth to show off their new HD TV and blu-ray?
This series looks absolutely stunning in 4k. From the opening shot from the moon to the aerial overview of the flamingo colony. Absolutely recommended.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Junkie Disease posted:

Is youtube finds of old greatlookin poo poo allowed here?
Someones got UFO in a very good rip up there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1XOacWCbuo

UFO is so loving cool. Gerry Anderson had perfected his production design by that point and everything is so incredibly stylized. The action doesn't hold up to some of his earlier work, though—Thunderbirds is still the gold standard and is paced like a modern-day action movie.

On that note, just a reminder that Shout Factory TV is a free streaming service that has a handful of great shows on it in HD, including Anderson's own Joe 90 (basically a marionette Jonny Quest), Fireball XL5, Stingray, Supercar, Space 1999, and Thunderbirds, as well as some other rad stuff like The Prisoner, The Saint, a bunch of Super Sentai, Hammer House of Horror, The Weird Al Show, The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis (the first teenage sitcom), and a ton more. They've also got a bunch of movies and originals like a Making Of series where they do a half-hour documentaries on things like Corman's Piranah and Galaxy of Terror.

It's so weird that I've never heard anyone talk about it when they have some much great content up there for free.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 6, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
My friends and I have been enjoying the new Twilight Zone.

The new episodes haven’t hit as hard as famous classic episodes, but that’s fine, they are certainly of the quality of the majority of the original series.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Franchescanado posted:

My friends and I have been enjoying the new Twilight Zone.

The new episodes haven’t hit as hard as famous classic episodes, but that’s fine, they are certainly of the quality of the majority of the original series.

While I agree that they aren't as bad as people say they are, you have to keep in mind that the series isn't just being compared to classic Twilight Zone, but also to modern shows like Black Mirror.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Turambar posted:

Ahh, I love me some good fiction!
Huh?

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

A (bad) joke.
I would think that nearly all people interested in nature are aware of what is happening, but I guess not.

Anyway, to not make this comment be totally useless: I recently saw Final Space on (Dutch) Netflix. It starts out as a silly space cartoon, it ends somewhere completely different.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

feedmyleg posted:

On that note, just a reminder that Shout Factory TV is a free streaming service that has a handful of great shows on it in HD, including Anderson's own Joe 90 (basically a marionette Jonny Quest), Fireball XL5, Stingray, Supercar, Space 1999, and Thunderbirds, as well as some other rad stuff like The Prisoner, The Saint, a bunch of Super Sentai, Hammer House of Horror, The Weird Al Show, The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis (the first teenage sitcom), and a ton more. They've also got a bunch of movies and originals like a Making Of series where they do a half-hour documentaries on things like Corman's Piranah and Galaxy of Terror.

Thanks for this, never heard of it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah thanks for the Shout Factory heads up, time for a Prisoner rewatch!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so I just finished rewatching game of thrones (man I forgot how thoroughly derailed the writing is by season 7) and it got me really jonesing for a like, actually realistic period piece? one that acknowledges things like geography, demographics, social diversity, etc or at least is an interestingly authentic representation of some historical period. I was looking at Gunpowder on HBO but it has pretty middling reviews?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Frog Act posted:

so I just finished rewatching game of thrones (man I forgot how thoroughly derailed the writing is by season 7) and it got me really jonesing for a like, actually realistic period piece? one that acknowledges things like geography, demographics, social diversity, etc or at least is an interestingly authentic representation of some historical period. I was looking at Gunpowder on HBO but it has pretty middling reviews?

ROME on HBO was one of the better shows for displaying how lovely slaves were generally treated in Roman society. It's also one of the best shows ever. The Last Kingdom is also pretty good in depicting the different social and religious conflicts that were going on in pre-medieval England.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Dude literally made a VR fuckmaid out of some random person he got a crush on

What episode was this?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m just loving with you on Hulu is pretty good. I enjoyed it.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Are there ANY good nature documentaries on Prime? Documentaries are the one thing I actually miss from Netflix.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Any thoughts on Unicorn Store? I'm always up for a Sam J movie but not sure if I dig Brie Larson as much from this trailer

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ignis posted:

Any thoughts on Unicorn Store? I'm always up for a Sam J movie but not sure if I dig Brie Larson as much from this trailer

Brie Larson and Samuel L. Jackson's interactions were, like, the only good thing about Captain Marvel. I haven't seen Unicorn Store, but I'd give it a shot.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ignis posted:

Wasn't it shelved for like 2 years? It was probably only dragged back up in anticipation of Captain Marvel's success. That is very rarely a good sign.

Though when has that worked out? Trick r Treat is the only instance that comes to mind for me.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

feedmyleg posted:

Wasn't it shelved for like 2 years? It was probably only dragged back up in anticipation of Captain Marvel's success. That is very rarely a good sign.

Though when has that worked out? Trick r Treat is the only instance that comes to mind for me.

If what you are referring to are "films that had severely delayed releases that ended up being good", I'd add Cabin in the Woods as well.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Did you watch New Girl? Did you think season 1 was the best and the subsequent seasons suffered because Jess was never able to express herself without the show taking the piss? That’s the only scenario I could see someone enjoying Unicorn Store.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Yeah, well, the Unicorn Store called and they’re all out of you!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The third and final season of Versailles is up on Netflix. It's not amazing, but if you liked the first two seasons you'll enjoy this one.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

When the gently caress is Aggretsuko season two coming out?! Definitely one of my favorite Netflix series.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

When the gently caress is Aggretsuko season two coming out?! Definitely one of my favorite Netflix series.

Show turned out way more thoughtful and intelligent than the first episode would’ve indicated

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Ignis posted:

I liked it. It's a chill and warm version of a "I'm trying to become an adult and I don't know how" kind of movie. A lot of the charm of the movie leans on chemistry and dialogue and I think it succeeds at that. There's a bit of lunk and clunk to a few scenes but it comes together well enough by the end. If you already have a Netflix account and you're down to put up your heels and chuckle sensibly then I can recommend this. It peaks at like a genuine 7/10. Maybe a 7.5 if you washed out of art school. If the humor doesn't click for you in the first fifteen minutes you're probably in trouble.

After seeing and enjoying it I totally get why it was likely shelved, though. How do you sell this movie to a wide audience? By waiting for the director/lead and a supporting actor to costar in a billion dollar release two years later and let a streaming service roll the dice, I guess.

I'd like to see more directing from Larson. There's a warmth to the tone and humor that I really appreciate here that I think distinguish it from the quagmire of quirky first directorial efforts.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

As a woman who works in an office and loves metal, I’m very much looking forward to season 2. Sanrio really knows their audience.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Show turned out way more thoughtful and intelligent than the first episode would’ve indicated

So it pulled a Bojack Horseman? Maybe I'll watch it then. I forgot about it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

If what you are referring to are "films that had severely delayed releases that ended up being good", I'd add Cabin in the Woods as well.

True, but that was delayed through a combination of MGM wanting to convert it to 3D and MGM being in flat-out financial crisis at the time.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

So it pulled a Bojack Horseman? Maybe I'll watch it then. I forgot about it.

I thought all of it was good. The episodes are only like 15 minutes anyway. I ignored it for a bit because it's not like I care about Hello Kitty or Sanrio, but I ended up loving it. I was once a mild mannered twenty-something with a soul-sucking office job and anger issues, so I really related to it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Aggretsuko is loving amazing

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
wish Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou got a second season but hey....one & (mostly) successfully done aint bad

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Like over the course of the season it becomes apparent to the audience that Aggretsuko is the cause of a lot of her own problems, freaks out over things that aren’t really a big deal, and is fixated on marriage as a solution to her problems when it isn’t. It’s perfectly on the wavelength of people who grew up on Hello Kitty around the turn of the Millenium and are in the workforce now, and surprisingly mature for something coming from San Rio

edit: does that roughly describe Bojack?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 9, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone else watch assassination nation on Hulu? It’s sure...something.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone else watch assassination nation on Hulu? It’s sure...something.

I saw it in theaters.

It’s awesome. One of my favorites of 2018. Despite the lackluster ending.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it’s fuckin crazy.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
That footage of the glacier ice collapsing into the ocean in Our Planet

:stare: :stonklol:

broken boy soldier
May 19, 2006
Y’all have long been a go-to for great streaming recommendations, and I’m hopeful you can help me out:

I’ve watched quite a bit of what I’ve read/heard are the top HBO shows. What am I missing that I shouldn’t (likely have only a couple months of HBO streaming use)?

I just finished catching up with Veep. Have seen The Wire, Game of Thrones, Deadwood, Band of Brothers, Room 104, Season 1 of True Detective, and most of The Newsroom (don’t judge, I’m a journalist so I have a soft spot for anything about journalism regardless of how good or bad it actually is).

Thanks!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

broken boy soldier posted:

Y’all have long been a go-to for great streaming recommendations, and I’m hopeful you can help me out:

I’ve watched quite a bit of what I’ve read/heard are the top HBO shows. What am I missing that I shouldn’t (likely have only a couple months of HBO streaming use)?

I just finished catching up with Veep. Have seen The Wire, Game of Thrones, Deadwood, Band of Brothers, Room 104, Season 1 of True Detective, and most of The Newsroom (don’t judge, I’m a journalist so I have a soft spot for anything about journalism regardless of how good or bad it actually is).

Thanks!

Bored to Death.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

broken boy soldier posted:

Thanks!

The Sopranos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Hap and Leonard is some top notch underrated stuff on Netflix. Pretty quick watch, too, since each season is only 6 episodes with the 3rd and final season just coming out on there (Got cancelled, RIP).