Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Johan Molyneux

He was pretty swift at implementing it because Groogy showed it off (or at least the UI and what it's supposed to do :tinfoil:) in the Emperor War or whatever the thing they are doing that isn't the normal Dev clash is called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
I think given that it's an iterative of eu4 & eu:rome the game is gonna have plenty of meat and play well from the start.

This isn't a stellaris "let's build a game we've never done before" bare bones.

Its "paint maps in Europe 5" so the DLC will just be to add barbarians, more religions, and whatever else feature bloat they can think of.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Catching up on the Emperors at War streams(still on the first one) and can I just say I love that KaiserJohann had the goal to "survive" and proceeds to somehow win a aggressive war against all the other players including killing one of them? :v:

L0VE
May 3, 2010
How can you not be hyped for Imperator when everything we have seen from the Dev multiplayer is standard Paradox map painting? I mean yes there will be annoying poo poo, bugs and bad game design but so what? The base game will be good and patches will fix things and DLC will add anything lacking for release.

You know you'll sit there on release day, game pre-downloaded and installed, hitting refresh until the play button appears. I'll be there with you, I'm loving pumped.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I’m looking forward to Imperator because I’m tired of just playing CK2 all the time and want something different. But I’m worried this is going to be like the time I bought Stellaris, set everything up for 20 minutes, and then immediately closed it to just play CK2 again.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

L0VE posted:

How can you not be hyped for Imperator when everything we have seen from the Dev multiplayer is standard Paradox map painting?

The absolute last thing I, personally, want from Imperator is standard map painting. So pretty meh about it so far.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Have you seen how good that map looks though??

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

L0VE posted:

How can you not be hyped for Imperator when everything we have seen from the Dev multiplayer is standard Paradox map painting? I mean yes there will be annoying poo poo, bugs and bad game design but so what? The base game will be good and patches will fix things and DLC will add anything lacking for release.

You know you'll sit there on release day, game pre-downloaded and installed, hitting refresh until the play button appears. I'll be there with you, I'm loving pumped.

That's exactly why I'm not particularly hyped, it's more of the same. I'm sure it'll be perfectly serviceable and then competent and then actually even good as it gets fixed, and I'll probably play it a bunch too after that point, but I'm not rushing out to get it on day 1 or anything.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm expecting to be disappointed by the weakness of the internal management side of the game but that's pretty standard for Paradox so it's hardly new

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Traditional for goons to dismiss any paradox game they dont own or play then shut up when it comes out and is great. Then they sullenly harass and troll the devs off the forum

It's a bad tradition

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I’m looking forward to Imperator because I’m tired of just playing CK2 all the time and want something different. But I’m worried this is going to be like the time I bought Stellaris, set everything up for 20 minutes, and then immediately closed it to just play CK2 again.

Try not blindly buying games based on the dev's reputation, that helps a lot.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

Not... buy.. games?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

GrossMurpel posted:

Sorry, but only entitled gamers don't blindly support game developers.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

GrossMurpel posted:

No

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Alikchi posted:

Traditional for goons to dismiss any paradox game they dont own or play then shut up when it comes out and is great. Then they sullenly harass and troll the devs off the forum

It's a bad tradition

nah stellaris was/is bad

edit: now, mind you, the games forum has turned into a super negative cesspool in general you're not wrong, but

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 7, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
Stellaris was, for me anyway, a standout in the modern era of Paradox games. CK2 and EU4 were perfectly playable for silly amounts of hours from their launch state and while obviously it's a bit annoying to go into a new game without all the improvements that have been made from the better part of a decade of DLC I don't think, based on the way Imperator works, that it's even possible for it to suffer the problem Stellaris had of not having a game on the second half of a session.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Gamerofthegame posted:

nah stellaris was/is bad

edit: now, mind you, the games forum has turned into a super negative cesspool in general you're not wrong, but

I didn’t enjoy it much on release but had a lot of fun with it semi recently. It’s a good game IMO which is coincidentally the only O I care about.

A large part of why these forums have turned into a “super negative cesspool” is people stating their opinions as objective fact. Don’t do that. It’s loving dumb

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Stellaris is fine. It suffers from having a random galaxy rather than the more structured worlds of other paradox games which ironically makes every game a bit too similar IMO, but it's probably the best space strategy game I've ever played.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

GrossMurpel posted:

I bought Stellaris like a year and a half ago after hearing it was a lot better than at launch, so I wouldn't really call that a "blind buy", but whatever. I wouldn't know if it's fun or not, I just didn't really feel like playing a new game and figuring out how everything worked at the time. Maybe I'll go back to it eventually.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

CK3 should just be the exact same game as CK2, only it has UI scaling.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
CK3 should be an HD version of CK1

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Crusader Kings 3: Shattered Union 2: Zatikon Crusades Gold

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The Chad Jihad posted:

Crusader Kings 3: Shattered Union 2: Zatikon Crusades Gold

Ah, the latest entry in the Dark Forces series

Orv
May 4, 2011
I won't give Paradox another red cent until I see SotS 3.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

CK3 should be a weird experimental thing with pirates so that when CK4 comes out, all the revived mechanics from CK2 will seem so much fresher.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

CK3 will be a third person castle decorating game with romances. There will be a map room and you can walk up to it to play CK2 and this is how you earn money for a better castle.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Chalks posted:

Stellaris is fine. It suffers from having a random galaxy rather than the more structured worlds of other paradox games which ironically makes every game a bit too similar IMO, but it's probably the best space strategy game I've ever played.

This, it makes me realize how important the structured starts of EU4/CK2 are for replayability - Stellaris is too samey unless you invest your own meaning into having robots vs slaves vs peaceful happy citizens or whatever. Lots of flavour choices, fundamentally the same gameplay

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Eimi posted:

CK3 will be a third person castle decorating game with romances. There will be a map room and you can walk up to it to play CK2 and this is how you earn money for a better castle.

I really want to play this game.

It needs to be real-time. We actually pass our saves down to our kids.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

what kids?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

what kids?

you livesteam your game until you drop dead on stream, then your save gets auctioned off to one of the viewers to continue and the money gets sent to your family. this is what replaces life insurance, also replaces jobs.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stellaris was just boring as gently caress and it's still kinda boring but now you can pay literally 100+ euros for more boring features. In the meantime HoI4's AI can't defend borders and destroys an entire nation's worth of manpower if you build a decent fort behind a river.

But i'm sure Imperator will be great on release :v:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Mans posted:

Stellaris was just boring as gently caress and it's still kinda boring but now you can pay literally 100+ euros for more boring features. In the meantime HoI4's AI can't defend borders and destroys an entire nation's worth of manpower if you build a decent fort behind a river.

Haven't played HOI4 in a while then, because now the ai simply completely refuses to attack decent forts.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Nothingtoseehere posted:

This, it makes me realize how important the structured starts of EU4/CK2 are for replayability - Stellaris is too samey unless you invest your own meaning into having robots vs slaves vs peaceful happy citizens or whatever. Lots of flavour choices, fundamentally the same gameplay

It helped my games a ton when I had created a few races that I forced spawned. Basically every game I would make a different race, with a different mythos, and play a game with them. If I liked their character they got added to the list. Nowadays with upward of 10 created/played races everything seem so much more lively and with actual characters when I meet/interact with them. It's all in my head of course, but that little exercise changed my appreciation of the game. It was my biggest pet peeve before: the races and their behavior just blended together and I didn't give a poo poo about them.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Mans posted:

If you don't like Paradox games why post in the thread

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Sampatrick posted:

A games flaws should be acknowledged when discussing it imo

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Alikchi posted:

It's a bad tradition

What are you talking about? Don't make poo poo up like this. It was only when the Paradox devs started posting back in ~2011ish (maybe 2012?) that the forums' opinion on the games really began to turn around, not coincidentally CK2 came out around the same time, which really changed the Paradox release model from "release buggy piece of poo poo that's fixed in a couple expansions, but ya'll will play anyway because no one else makes games like this" to "release functional and maybe even fun game that gets tons of DLC support, and ya'll will buy anyway because etc." The only "tradition" that started as a result is arguments about Vicky 3 when and posters generally deferring to devs when they come post (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). Making stuff up to try to score cheap points is really dumb.

Sampatrick posted:

this is dumb too though.

As an aside, I didn't find Stellaris fun on release, but it definitely made me think really highly of Paradox to see them release a game completely unlike the rest of their portfolio. It came out mostly functional, and while wasn't very fun, was definitely an MVP/POC for a great game down the line. `

Gamerofthegame posted:

I feel like this has been SA in general for a few years. Just the national mood for Americans I guess. :smith:

Beamed fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 8, 2019

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Most people in this thread have also had years of experience playing Paradox games in which to figure out flawed aspects in their design and gameplay, so it's not particularly surprising to see criticism.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

As I wrote in the Battletech thread, nobody complains this much about a game they don't like, they just move on and try to forget it exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

SlothfulCobra posted:

CK3 should be a weird experimental thing with pirates so that when CK4 comes out, all the revived mechanics from CK2 will seem so much fresher.

Then release CK5, CK6 and CK7 with small incremental changes, which introduce cool new features that you'll never use because the game is ridiculously easy at all times and can be functionally "beaten" fumbling blindly with the basic mechanics, never opening the toolbox with the interesting stuff.

Sigh.