Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Iron Crowned posted:

I just finished watching the 2009 Friday the 13th remake for the first time, and now I'm legitimately angry

How could you be angry at those titties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I liked it waaayyyy better than the original, which is the 2nd worst of the first 4 films that were all the original over and over again (the 4th being the best, due to the better cast and partially because it stopped relying on first person kills...until they returned again in 5...), and would put it in the rotating top 3 of Fthe13th films in general. It was a decent way to turn 1-4 into one film in itself, while adding a layer of brutality that legitimately was unsettling at points. And the final girl swap twist was better than any attempt at subversion in the old movies (ie. Roy).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think the remake falls right around the middle of the pack in the Friday the 13th series, so that's not too bad. It's no Jason Lives of course.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
Pet Sematary 2 is one of the most baffling movies I've ever seen and I love it with all my heart.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:psyduck:

The F13 remake was boring as poo poo. There's nothing wrong with a bad horror movie, but nothing can save a boring one.

It's a 25 minute movie that had an extra hour added for runtime and Sam Winchester

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Iron Crowned posted:

I just finished watching the 2009 Friday the 13th remake for the first time, and now I'm legitimately angry

It depends on how you look at it. Compared to the other franchise remakes like Nightmare on Elm Street, it's pretty good. Compared to the rest of the F13 franchise, it's okay. On it's own, I don't regret paying money seeing it opening week. I will admit watching the remake with the My Bloody Valentine one feels like alternate reality Winchesters.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Ahem, according to my scientifically accurate rankings, the Friday 13th remake is the 5th best film of the franchise.

https://letterboxd.com/vincentprice/list/friday-the-13th-ranked/

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I think the remake falls right around the middle of the pack in the Friday the 13th series, so that's not too bad. It's no Jason Lives of course.

For me it's 4/6/2/remake as the ones that actually have legitimate qualities in them that can be appreciated, with the rest just being various degrees of silly fun that happen to have some goofy moments I like or kills that I think are good. With 3/5/8 being the bottom of the barrel for that.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

It depends on how you look at it. Compared to the other franchise remakes like Nightmare on Elm Street, it's pretty good. Compared to the rest of the F13 franchise, it's okay. On it's own, I don't regret paying money seeing it opening week. I will admit watching the remake with the My Bloody Valentine one feels like alternate reality Winchesters.

I always watch those back to back as well. They should have crossed them over and had Sam have to face the miner dude after beating Jason.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

M_Sinistrari posted:

The remake is by far the worst for me. There's a charming b-movie quality to the worst of the old franchise (except part 9), and that's totally absent in this slick over-color corrected remake. And boy oh boy does it drag.

The only thing I'll give the remake is that the rich white jerk is probably the most comical example of the archetype in any horror movie, and he helped inspire Chad in the video game.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

The only thing I'll give the remake is that the rich white jerk is probably the most comical example of the archetype in any horror movie, and he helped inspire Chad in the video game.

That's Trent, which makes Transformers and Friday the 13th the same universe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Edkv7StGL8

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

While we're on Wes Craven, I've never seen Deadly Friend. Worth a rent? How say you?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Zwabu posted:

While we're on Wes Craven, I've never seen Deadly Friend. Worth a rent? How say you?

Deadly Friend is insane and pairs well with Shocker.

Big Bob Pataki posted:

Pet Sematary 2 is one of the most baffling movies I've ever seen and I love it with all my heart.

It's better than the first movie, and as a lifelong Spooky Steve fan, arguably better than the book. It's just so gonzo.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
It's impossible to watch the potato truck scene without hearing a Rich Evans laugh.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

DREW BUDDY

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Zwabu posted:

Deadly Friend is a sci fi drama that was turned into a violent horror movie with reshoots and it works as neither, it is insane.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

One last thing about Pet Sematary:

This is one of the cat actors from the film, look at this pretty baby in his little tie :3:
Cute floof cat is probably the only good thing about Pet Semetary 2 :3:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fart City posted:

Deadly Friend is insane and pairs well with Shocker.

It's better than the first movie, and as a lifelong Spooky Steve fan, arguably better than the book. It's just so gonzo.

One thing I love about it is that the well adjusted, boring, mild mannered dad is just ALL KINDS of "No" about the bullshit going on.

It's so rare to have a character in one of these stories that is just 100% being reasonable and thinking clearly, especially when it's a movie starring a teen and they're the parent. Usually the parents are portrayed as useless or worse, but this one dad is just all kinds of "This is evil, gently caress No."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's like the least weird sex scene ever. Guy's had a long day, the kid is sleeping, his wife makes him dinner and gives him a hot bath and a handjob.

...with a loofah, though?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think King just thinks it adds realism to his books to include some random, weird sex thing because every story he writes has a dozen+ characters and if you collect a dozen random people in a room a couple of them will have weird sex things. And he's probably right. But he doesn't get that it just makes him seem weird that he included it in the story when it didn't have to be there.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is a loofah handjob really that weird?

By King sex stuff standards that's really vanilla.

Also by actual sex standards that's basically PG13

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think its only "weird" in its specificity. Which I think is the King thing. He just gives his characters really specific traits and affectations and loves to include sex stuff in there.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
And now we see all the loofa jerkers coming out of the woodwork to defend their naughty deeds.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FreudianSlippers posted:

By King sex stuff standards that's really vanilla.

Also by actual sex standards that's basically PG13

I think you'll find that any sex related thing, up to and including nudity and crude humor, instantly earns an R rating or higher regardless of context, content or substance.

Because this is America, where a clown can impale a man's eye with a pencil but *IF YOU TRY TO SHOW ONE TIT*

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
If your wife jerks you off with a natural sea sponge is that technically necrophilic bestiality?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FreudianSlippers posted:

Would you jerk yourself with a loofah? That poo poo doesn't sound too pleasant.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It's King's unnecessary descriptions. I really don't need to know the intensity of Louis' orgasm.

I was reading King at a very young age, well before I knew anything about sex, so those moments were always confusing as hell. I just assumed Rachael was squeezing his balls until he was in excruciating pain and he didn't seem to mind for some drat reason lol.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Burkion posted:

I think you'll find that any sex related thing, up to and including nudity and crude humor, instantly earns an R rating or higher regardless of context, content or substance.

Because this is America, where a clown can impale a man's eye with a pencil but *IF YOU TRY TO SHOW ONE TIT*

All of the James Bond films are rated PG-PG-13

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, King will write 2 pages to explain why a character really loves Howdy Doody or ham sandwiches despite having nothing to do with anything. The sex stuff just leaves an impression.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Darko posted:

For me it's 4/6/2/remake as the ones that actually have legitimate qualities in them that can be appreciated, with the rest just being various degrees of silly fun that happen to have some goofy moments I like or kills that I think are good. With 3/5/8 being the bottom of the barrel for that.

My exact same thoughts on this series.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Watched the ‘89 Pet Sematary today. It was decent. It was nice to see Fred Gwynne show up. The Ramones song owned.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Watched the ‘89 Pet Sematary today. It was decent. It was nice to see Fred Gwynne show up. The Ramones song owned.

Check out Pet Sematary 2 for sure if you haven't also. You'd rightfully just assume "Pet Sematary 2" would be a crappy movie it's pretty good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's a worse movie

But it's also better in its own way

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pet Sematary is trying to be something very deep and impactful, whether or not it works for you.

Pet Sematary 2 is just a fun schlocky horror movie. Its not great but you can do a lot worse and Clancy Brown is probably worth a watch.

What's weird is that Mary Lambert did both films, which I guess speaks to her really staying on script with King's vision the first time around.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

My exact same thoughts on this series.

3 is starting to become my least favorite because its the worst of all worlds. 1, 2 and even 5 had a slight mystery angle to make all the kills until the end a 1st person thing. 3 had no reason at all for that since we knew it was Jason, its the second worst 3d gratuitous stupidity after Jaws 3D, and its the same exact movie as 1 and 2 with worse characters. But directed worse than either.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You know what I hate about the Friday the 13th series? I can't even remember which movies I've seen and where I left off because I can't remember anything distinctive about them.

There was the one about his mom.
Then one with him.
Then one in a barn?
I think I might have seen one after that? Some guy ate fish food and then died. I remember that but I can't remember when it happened.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh whoops, I said Pet Sematary 2 earlier when I meant Pet Sematary 2019. I forgot there was a Pet Sematary sequel back in the 90s lmao

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Friday the 13th Part 1 has his mom
Friday the 13th Part 2 has Jason wearing a sack on his head
Friday the 13th Part 3 has all the 3D shots
Friday the 13th Part 4 has Corey Feldman
Friday the 13th Part 5 has the fake Jason
Friday the 13th Part 6 has the first Zombie Jason
Friday the 13th Part 7 has the psychic girl
Friday the 13th Part 8 takes place on a boat/in NYC
Friday the 13th Part 9 has body hopping Jason
Jason X has Jason in space

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

You know what I hate about the Friday the 13th series? I can't even remember which movies I've seen and where I left off because I can't remember anything distinctive about them.

There was the one about his mom.
Then one with him.
Then one in a barn?
I think I might have seen one after that? Some guy ate fish food and then died. I remember that but I can't remember when it happened.

Mom
Bag head Jason
Bikers and Jason gets his mask
Crispin Glover and the family next door and Jarvis
Jarvis and Roy
Zombie Jason and Jarvis
Zombie Jason and Carrie
Blatingly teleporting Jason on a boat
The Hidden
In Space
Freddy is there
Sam vs Jason

Barn is 3, fish food, er...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I only brought up the fish food because like that's the kind of random poo poo i remember because otherwise its just pretty teens getting killed and that leaves no impression on me at all.

So I have no idea if I saw 4 or not but I guess that's probably where I left off. I'll have to go back and check my October marathon lists when I dive back in in May. I owe Lurdiak to finish it.