Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The game
Star Fox 64 is the third game in the Star Fox franchise, and it's widely considered one of the best games ever made and a gold standard for rail shooters. It builds off the success of the landmark first game for the SNES, recycles much of the coding from the then-canned Star Fox 2, and reboots the story to one more knowingly campy. The game takes advantage of everything the Nintendo 64 could do with improved graphical quality and buttery smooth controls, plus the game was one of the first to utilize controller rumble with the included Rumble Pack. It also boasts full voice acting that, despite its silliness, holds up remarkably well and sounds shockingly natural for a time when voice acting was done by the programmers on their lunch break. The result is one of the most celebrated games on the Nintendo 64, one of the best old games to still play today, and for many the last great Star Fox game.

The story is such:
Welcome to the Lylat System: a solar system populated by hominid animals and dozens of planets with only one ecosystem. There, evil scientist and giant disembodied ape head Andross is exiled to the distant, hellhole planet Venom. Years pass before suspicious activity is noticed on Venom; General Pepper sends the intrepid mercenary group Star Fox, led by the smooth and honorable James McCloud with screaming Texas uncle Peppy Hare and gross living trashpile Pigma Dengar, to investigate. Pigma betrays Star Fox, leaving James to die and Peppy to barely escape. Peppy returns home to tell James' son Fox of what happened, and Fox files it away for protagonist motivation to last him a lifetime.
Years later, Andross has built up an army and sent them out from Venom to invade the Lylat System and claim it for his own. A new Star Fox team led by James' equally honorable but nerdier son Fox McCloud with Peppy, genius engineer and bullet magnet Slippy Toad, and lovable smugfuck Falco Lombardi, answer the call to stop Andross and save the Lylat System.

The LP:
I will be playing through the Easy, Medium, and Hard routes individually without much crossover, though I will show alternate routes and level changes as asides. Each route will take 2-3 videos and each video will show 2-3 levels. I'll also be getting every medal, and at the end of the LP I'll briefly show off Expert Mode. Updates on Sundays and Thursdays.
Joining me is Mugiwara Yoshi and JigglyJacob, both of whom have also played through the game and love it. Yoshi and I are also trading off on a series of Star Fox Let's Plays, and Yoshi will next do Star Fox Adventures after SF64 is complete in May.
This LP was originally shown to my Patreon patrons first in its entirety from March 10 through April 4 before it started going public.

----------------------------
Easy Route

Medium Route

Hard Route

----------------------------

(By Jacob)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if James had entrusted Peppy to care for Fox as a contingency.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm glad you're taking a crack at this one. Concordat's LP of 64 was getting incredibly long in the tooth, even if he did break the game over his knee hilariously during his run at it.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I love this game a ton, but I'm so, so bad at it. Breaks my heart, man!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

ThornBrain posted:

Yoshi and I are also trading off on a series of Star Fox Let's Plays, and Yoshi will next do Star Fox Adventures after SF64 is complete in May.

Oh god, why would you do that to yourself?

E: hmm. How to take the first easy split? I could just not fly through the arches or...
Laughs as Falcons gets shot at.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 8, 2019

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It bothers me that the game's story path/progression is basically a better version of Shadow the Hedgehog

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I got real good at this game back in the day.

Hard path still kicked my butt.

That's Star Fox 64 for ya!

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I got really good at the game, but I could never get the loving medal on Titania. Freaking desert planet.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I absolutely love this game. Played the hell out of it when I was a kid, even got all the medals at one point.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I got every medal in this a few times back in the day. I don't know if it was a bug or a flaw in the game cartridge or what, but I lost all my save data a couple of times and "had" to get them all again.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Dr Christmas posted:

I got every medal in this a few times back in the day. I don't know if it was a bug or a flaw in the game cartridge or what, but I lost all my save data a couple of times and "had" to get them all again.

typically that kind of thing is memory corruption from interrupting a save by shutting the system off or the battery powering the saves dies.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
What the heck? :argh:

I love this game, but I am very bad about shooting my friends.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, people poo poo-talk Slippy, but 4th place on the team of the four best pilots in the system is still pretty good. Plus, keep in mind all the extra tech-y poo poo he's doing in there. Reminder than any time a boss's health gauge appears on-screen, that's Slippy doing that analysis from his pilot seat. To drive that home, if Slippy is absent, you don't get that health bar.

I imagine Andrew going after Slippy is just him picking on who he perceives (accurately, let's be real) as the weakest target. He's only on the team to keep an eye on them and because Andross is his Uncle, face it. It's all who ya know.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

Honestly, people poo poo-talk Slippy, but 4th place on the team of the four best pilots in the system is still pretty good. Plus, keep in mind all the extra tech-y poo poo he's doing in there. Reminder than any time a boss's health gauge appears on-screen, that's Slippy doing that analysis from his pilot seat. To drive that home, if Slippy is absent, you don't get that health bar.

I imagine Andrew going after Slippy is just him picking on who he perceives (accurately, let's be real) as the weakest target. He's only on the team to keep an eye on them and because Andross is his Uncle, face it. It's all who ya know.

Also neither the Landmaster nor the Blue Marlin would exist without Slippy. That said, Slippy is kind of a mirror of Andrew in a lot of ways because Slippy’s really only on the team because his dad owns General Dynamics, Corneria’s largest defence contractor and the company that designed and built the Arwing in the first place. But unlike Andrew, Slippy is actually competent in key areas. Andrew’s just a dink.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I remember this game consuming my life as an elementary schooler. It kick started a Star Fox obsession that lasted until I was maybe 13?

I also remember taking a year or two to actually find all the alternate paths in the years when GameFAQs was still in its infancy and having good Internet access wasn't a guarantee. loving blew my mind.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It tells you how to get the extra paths in the instruction manual. I don't know how you would figure out the alternate Corneria path otherwise. You might be able to figure out that there's something special with the Macbeth train switches, because they stand out more than the Corneria arches. The secret route in Meteo and Sector X kind of feel like they're meant to be more obscure. The rest of the alternate routes are just a matter of doing the mission well.

A few of these bosses can go down shockingly fast, like that first guy, and I've wondered if I were to do an LP, would I just kill them or let them survive a while to show off their attacks.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Man, the last time I played this game, it was probably a rental from Blockbuster on an actual N64. It's been a while.

So out of curiosity, what's the general reaction to the 3DS port?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

...That actually exists?

Either it's somewhat obscure, or (perhaps more likely) I'm oblivious. Either way, I didn't know that was a thing.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

CptWedgie posted:

...That actually exists?

Either it's somewhat obscure, or (perhaps more likely) I'm oblivious. Either way, I didn't know that was a thing.

It was one of the launch games for the 3DS. In my opinion it's stellar, but it was criticised for being too similar to the original.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

CptWedgie posted:

...That actually exists?

It does! When I was a kid, I don't think I was too good at the story, so I typically messed around in free mode.

I actually finished the game on the 3DS version. :toot:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Man, the last time I played this game, it was probably a rental from Blockbuster on an actual N64. It's been a while.

It's literally the same game, no weird remake stuff aside from the entirely optional gyro aiming. Any opinions on the n64 version will be pretty identical.
Oh, and it's freaking beautiful.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've picked this game up from a pawn shop a year ago, 10 bucks. For some reason the connectors were absolutely filthy, I would think the cart was submerged in water or in dirt or something if it wasn't for the fact the rest of the cart was clean. Thankfully some rubbing alcohol cleaned that up. Played the hell out of it, despite losing all affinity for an n64 controller over the years.

Sadly it wasn't the red cartridge :smith:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Natural 20 posted:

It was one of the launch games for the 3DS. In my opinion it's stellar, but it was criticised for being too similar to the original.
Pun intended?

FoolyCharged posted:

It's literally the same game, no weird remake stuff aside from the entirely optional gyro aiming. Any opinions on the n64 version will be pretty identical.
Oh, and it's freaking beautiful.
Sounds good so far. I'll take "they made it prettier and kept everything else the same", because this is a pretty drat good game on its own merits.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Also neither the Landmaster nor the Blue Marlin would exist without Slippy. That said, Slippy is kind of a mirror of Andrew in a lot of ways because Slippy’s really only on the team because his dad owns General Dynamics, Corneria’s largest defence contractor and the company that designed and built the Arwing in the first place. But unlike Andrew, Slippy is actually competent in key areas. Andrew’s just a dink.

So what's stopping the Cornerian air force from commissioning an entire fleet of Arwings, anyway? Seems like that'd solve the whole Andross problem.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

KieranWalker posted:

So what's stopping the Cornerian air force from commissioning an entire fleet of Arwings, anyway? Seems like that'd solve the whole Andross problem.

They do have the production model. Star Fox's Arwings are specifically ultra-high performance models.

IIRC the main difference is that the production models are stuck with a single laser cannon and they can't aileron roll to deflect stuff.
Also while theoretically they have a smart bomb launcher, they'll never, ever use it :v:

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

KieranWalker posted:

Budget. Those things must cost a fortune.

Plus, y'know, not all their pilots are likely to be good enough to use it well enough to justify the cost. Star Fox, I'm pretty sure, is explicitly one of the most elite units in the Lylat System, rivaled only by Star Wolf.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

CptWedgie posted:

Budget. Those things must cost a fortune.

Plus, y'know, not all their pilots are likely to be good enough to use it well enough to justify the cost. Star Fox, I'm pretty sure, is explicitly one of the most elite units in the Lylat System, rivaled only by Star Wolf.

Yeah, this.

Despite their incredible reputation and many successes, Fox and company have been operating in the red for ages trying to pay off their ships.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
As noted in the videos, all other things being equal in the Star Wolf fight Andrew will kill Slippy first, Pigma will kill Peppy second and Falco will last a long long time against Leon. I suspect this enforced a lot of the "Slippy is useless" stereotypes.

A part of me goddamn twitched when you let Falco die in Corneria.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Yeah, this.

Despite their incredible reputation and many successes, Fox and company have been operating in the red for ages trying to pay off their ships.

I wouldn't expect otherwise when their leader is cold-blooded and incompetent enough to let a teammate get shot down and an important base explode out of laziness.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Yeah, this.

I remember the Great Fox being a large part of that (something about James McCloud taking out an 80-year mortgage on the thing)...

Blaze Dragon posted:

I wouldn't expect otherwise when their leader is cold-blooded and incompetent enough to let a teammate get shot down and an important base explode out of laziness.

I was going to make some facetious yet pithy comment, but I can't really think of a good one. Something something, Fox isn't the one holding the controller, etc.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Dr Christmas posted:

It tells you how to get the extra paths in the instruction manual. I don't know how you would figure out the alternate Corneria path otherwise. You might be able to figure out that there's something special with the Macbeth train switches, because they stand out more than the Corneria arches. The secret route in Meteo and Sector X kind of feel like they're meant to be more obscure. The rest of the alternate routes are just a matter of doing the mission well.

Really? It's not all that hidden. Step 1 is just be a good teammate, and then who wouldn't want to do cool stunts and fly through the arches?

Similarly, the "secret" route in Meteo isn't really hidden at all but it can be a bit tricky to pull off from what I remember.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You guys have great commentary!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Don't let Slippy handle this.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Never let Slippy handle anything.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I said previously in this thread that I am bad at this game, but I've never been able to beat the boss in time before Slippy does his thing. Every time I get there, I'm optimistic and I feel like this is gonna be the time, but it never is...UNLESS I manage to hit the warp zone, which is rare.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'll never get over the Easy route being just Star Fox loving up every single thing possible before finally making it to Venom.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Titania was one of the maps that just hosed me up, with all the obstacles and the landmaster delay on hovering. I can't think of any other map that was so close in killing me.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I remember being able to control which way some of the blocks fell. By shooting them.

Boosting over them never works.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm sure you'll go into it later but I can't wait to hear how the later games dropped the ball. I know about this one vaguely, Star Fox Adventures and Star Fox Zero and that's all. Having a lot of variety in Assault sounds neat on paper but I never got a copy of it for my Gamecube so I didn't have any chances to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
You know, an easy way to make Slippy less reviled to for this level is to just have the teammate getting knocked aside by the boss be completely random instead of it always being Slippy.