Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

I saw a comparison series of the first two episodes of the two series and I don't think I can get past 2001 shoujo face.

Dunno if it's the same one, but it is one so I'm sharing it
https://twitter.com/riderlimited/status/1114232150381871104?s=09

I think I watched the first could episodes of the original, but for reasons I've now forgotten I stopped there even though I remember liking them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

chumbler posted:

I can find no flaws in this logic.

The follow-up, "this girl isn't shy, so i guess i shouldn't call out to her" was a great punchline.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone caught Fairy Gone yet?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ViggyNash posted:

Anyone caught Fairy Gone yet?

Funimation.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It wasn't good.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Not read the manga
Senryu Girl seems all right
Will keep on watching

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Ultraman anime has pretty mediocre CG but it's still a lot better than most CG anime because it seems to be at least partially mocapped by real actors. The MC over-acts like you'd expect a live actor do when playing a flustered highschool boy.

The downside to this is that when combined with the general premise it just looks like they took a regular sentai show and made it in really ugly CG instead.

e; also, people were unhappy with Aramaki co-directing but him being in that role has finally resulted in a CG anime that remembers that cameras can move.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 7, 2019

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

For a music club (sports) anime, Koto Oto Tomare! hosed up pretty badly, they did not play the drat instrument at all in the first episode. And does not have the decency to use the koto in the OP or ED songs either.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

nielsm posted:

For a music club (sports) anime, Koto Oto Tomare! hosed up pretty badly, they did not play the drat instrument at all in the first episode.
That's by design to instead focus on the character drama. Second episode should have narrative reasons for diegetic koto music unless they majorly gently caress it up.

quote:

And does not have the decency to use the koto in the OP or ED songs either.
This poo poo needs to change, though.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Cinderella Nine is going to win the Marchean Madechen award for the season by having an okay to a good story for meh but also having like the worst production. Zoomed out shots instead of action, stills instead of action, the sense of being of off model as well. Definitely the weakest production I've seen this season so far

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

The Ultraman anime has pretty mediocre CG but it's still a lot better than most CG anime because it seems to be at least partially mocapped by real actors. The MC over-acts like you'd expect a live actor do when playing a flustered highschool boy.

The downside to this is that when combined with the general premise it just looks like they took a regular sentai show and made it in really ugly CG instead.

e; also, people were unhappy with Aramaki co-directing but him being in that role has finally resulted in a CG anime that remembers that cameras can move.

I finished this just now and I honestly liked the older guy more than the MC. The show was kinda underwhelming, no interesting catch, but some of the action scenes were pretty drat legit. Just kind of inoffensive as a whole. I chuckled a few times.

I have no idea how Ultraman or tokusatsu fans would feel about the show since my knowledge about the series is just about limited to recognizing Ultraman's outfit.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Coaaab posted:

That's by design to instead focus on the character drama. Second episode should have narrative reasons for diegetic koto music unless they majorly gently caress it up.

I'm mentally comparing it to the Kabukibu anime a while back, and that one had a great enthusiastic MC doing kabuki poo poo all the time, right from the get-go. I get that they want to get some character drama going, but at least show me the MC dude cares a bit about the instrument and music he's supposedly playing, like have him hum a tune or play air koto during a bit of down time or something.

Edit: If you're making an anime about a music club, put some music-appropriate content in it. Otherwise it may as well be the tea club.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 7, 2019

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'll probably give Kimetsu no Yaiba at least one more episode and see where it goes.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

R0ckfish posted:

The first episode of Kimetsu no Yaiba was actually really good, although it was a bit obvious with a few of the CG bits.

Manatee Cannon posted:

kimetsu no yaiba adaption is shaping up nicely from the first episode. there was a wee bit of bad cgi in there but they did a great job on the characters. watching it was a lot better than reading it, which is welcome since it took me a while to really get into the manga

there's what, a combined 5 seconds of cg content throughout the ep. it wasn't even bad cg, it was only used for distant shots so as not be obtrusive, and it was used for some really complex and quick movements. it's far beyond, say, goblin slayer having multiple extended scenes where the lead walks forward in the most robotic manner possible.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think the early cg snow was a bit obtrusive but then you have that bit where cg tanjiro vaults over a log and i was like "wow, this is good actually"

also the koto thing not having music immediately seems like a very small thing to be so hung up on lol. the show has like 11-12 more episodes to get to it

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Coaaab posted:

This poo poo needs to change, though.

i feel like they could have done more to sell the viewer on how amazing the instruments are then they did, or make the character drama more interesting than misunderstood delinquent and wimpy guy finally standing up for himself

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Midnight Occult Civil Servants is fun :3

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

dogsicle posted:

i think the early cg snow was a bit obtrusive but then you have that bit where cg tanjiro vaults over a log and i was like "wow, this is good actually"

Yeah, the log bit was good.
Him walking into town as CG was kinda bad, but it was only a few seconds. And as I said in the thread, if it means they can spend more time on the fight scenes then hell yeah.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is funimation stuff only streaming through their own service? guess I can mark everything else I wanted to watch off my list for now.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 7, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah I really only noticed the Yaiba CGI in a couple of walking shots, I was surprised to see people bring it up so much

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

Is funimation stuff only streaming through their own service? guess I can mark Fairy Gone off my list for now.

they have some sort of partnership with hulu, but i dunno if that means everything will show up there. also, the whole thing of hulu having ads is eh

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I think because it was just so jarring to have people animated in the town and have this robo-jiro clunk up the street.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

they have some sort of partnership with hulu, but i dunno if that means everything will show up there. also, the whole thing of hulu having ads is eh

I already have a no-ads sub for Hulu since I watch other stuff there, but it doesn't look like they've added anything new on it yet. Maybe they're doing the week delay thing and I can watch them next week.

lol my list was short already but everything but the occult civil servant show is funimation so I guess that's my show this season

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 7, 2019

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

dogsicle posted:

also the koto thing not having music immediately seems like a very small thing to be so hung up on lol. the show has like 11-12 more episodes to get to it

Oh I do know that I'm being a pedantic gently caress about it. Let's say I'm just too worried about this adaptation doing justice to the manga

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah I really only noticed the Yaiba CGI in a couple of walking shots, I was surprised to see people bring it up so much

I didn't notice at all lol

Possibly because I'm so used to seeing bad anime cgi...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

Oh I do know that I'm being a pedantic gently caress about it. Let's say I'm just too worried about this adaptation doing justice to the manga

when put in the context of a manga reader i understand it a bit more tbf, it just seemed like people were complaining apropos of nothing because the premise wasn't immediately fulfilled.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

i mean it makes sense to have some taste of what the anime's gonna be about even if it's just a brief 30 second scene or something, or even it being used in the OP/ED or BGM or something. Like you don't need to dedicate a ton of time to it, but there's a reason why even slower-paced sports shows have a scene of the character watching the sport on tv or something in the first episode. Not having it at all in the first episode just tells the viewer that it isn't a priority or it isnt what the show is about. This can work with something where the base premise is some kind of twist, like Steins;Gate or something, but when its just dudes hanging out playing an instrument it sets the viewer's expectations oddly. Like imagine if Rakugo didn't have actual Rakugo in its first episode.

It's not about people demanding Koto immediately, it's about wanting to know what the show's priorities are and how it's going to handle what is ostensibly its premise. If you're looking for an anime about a thing and the show doesn't seem to care about that thing. it's pretty natural to be disappointed. The first episode is very important in setting up the viewer for what comes after.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Oh wow, oh wow, 7 Seeds is getting an adaptation? That's gonna be the sleeper of the year, mark my words. :asoiaf:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
how? it's so long.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, if it proves popular, maybe Basara can get a remake?

Pretty please? :pray:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fairy Gone looks super clunky, both in script and in art.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 8, 2019

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Space Flower posted:

there's what, a combined 5 seconds of cg content throughout the ep. it wasn't even bad cg, it was only used for distant shots so as not be obtrusive, and it was used for some really complex and quick movements. it's far beyond, say, goblin slayer having multiple extended scenes where the lead walks forward in the most robotic manner possible.

I think that's why the few scenes where it was not good was so stark to me, like I see a bunch of really slick cg with good integration and then a few seconds of really repetitive walk animation makes my brain break.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well it's a netflix show so presumably they have a ton of time and money to throw at it but the studio is gonzo's corpse so i don't think anyone should be optimistic

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Sakurazuka posted:

I didn't notice at all lol

Possibly because I'm so used to seeing bad anime cgi...
lol yeah I think im the same

Like I got so used to the very noticeable CGI in run with the wind that it barely phased me

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

i mean it makes sense to have some taste of what the anime's gonna be about even if it's just a brief 30 second scene or something, or even it being used in the OP/ED or BGM or something. Like you don't need to dedicate a ton of time to it, but there's a reason why even slower-paced sports shows have a scene of the character watching the sport on tv or something in the first episode. Not having it at all in the first episode just tells the viewer that it isn't a priority or it isnt what the show is about. This can work with something where the base premise is some kind of twist, like Steins;Gate or something, but when its just dudes hanging out playing an instrument it sets the viewer's expectations oddly. Like imagine if Rakugo didn't have actual Rakugo in its first episode.

It's not about people demanding Koto immediately, it's about wanting to know what the show's priorities are and how it's going to handle what is ostensibly its premise. If you're looking for an anime about a thing and the show doesn't seem to care about that thing. it's pretty natural to be disappointed. The first episode is very important in setting up the viewer for what comes after.

it's def not structured like your typical club anime but the act of playing koto is pretty well centered in the show itself as well as the op/ed, even though you don't hear the music. i don't think it's at all a case of the show not caring about the instrument, but it cares more about establishing its characters and their relationship to the instrument than the act of them playing or having the music, and that's probably the expectation people should have based on the first episode. notably it has characters with pre-existing relationships to the koto (which are rather excessively detailed in the ep) so there's not really an opportunity for the expected scene of seeing [activity] and that reigniting a character's passion or motivating them to try it out. i don't think it was a flawless episode by any means but the only occasions where the koto is played are called out as bad or done by total newbies, so the lack of actual music did not surprise me and is probably better than if they led with awful music.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

oh come on
https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1115037253284155392

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Really liked both first episodes of Hitori Bocchi and Fruits Basket. That's all from the new season I've had time to watch, but it's nice to be batting 1000 on my choices so far

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Expect My Mom posted:

lol yeah I think im the same

Like I got so used to the very noticeable CGI in run with the wind that it barely phased me

I still noticed that every time. it was almost charming how bad the background runners looked after a while

the cg stuff in yaiba isn't that bad but that kind of thing always raises some caution flags for me. don't think it'll get more obtrusive but it's def something that takes me out of things a bit

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

I still noticed that every time. it was almost charming how bad the background runners looked after a while

the cg stuff in yaiba isn't that bad but that kind of thing always raises some caution flags for me. don't think it'll get more obtrusive but it's def something that takes me out of things a bit

FWIW, the production crew apparently already has 10 episodes completely finished before the first one even aired, so they've got a very healthy buffer so far. Hopefully that means the CG won't become more intrusive down the line due to time constraints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I didn't even notice the CG in Yaiba and the fight was pretty so I'll stick with it.

Occult Civil Servants seems pretty rad and not just because all angels are ten foot amazons