Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

4 might be the best one. Its the best directed of the non zombie Jasons, has good kills, good pacing, good effects, and decent acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I will weirdly defend Jason Takes Manhattan

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jason's "death" in chapter 4 is one of the best deaths not only in the F13 series but in slashers in general.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I will weirdly defend Jason Takes Manhattan Vancouver

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jason Goes To Manhattan should be burned alive

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CelticPredator posted:

Jason Goes To Manhattan should be burned alive

A deeply poser post

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The F13 game has me thinking of the movies in terms of Jason's appearance.

2 is Bag Head
3 is Plain Jane Jason
4 is Lumpy Head Jason with an axe wound
5 is Roy Boy
6 is Spearhunting Jason with his Jason Utility Belt™
7 is Rotten Face Skeletor Jason
8 is Wet n' Ready Jason
9 is Melt Man Jason, with the power to melt

I wish that game wasn't dead :(

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I will weirdly defend Jason Takes Manhattan

Johnny Cage uppercut fatality owns, Jason design is descent, not much else to say. It has perhaps the least sensical ending of any of the F13 movies, which is an accomplishment unto itself I suppose.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Fart City posted:

Johnny Cage uppercut fatality owns, Jason design is descent, not much else to say. It has perhaps the least sensical ending of any of the F13 movies, which is an accomplishment unto itself I suppose.

I recall liking three things

1. Ridiculously huge body count
2. Creative diversity in kills
3. gently caress it, Jason can teleport now

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
In part 8, I like Jason's new mask and wet look, and the scene of him kicking the boombox. That's it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mel Mudkiper posted:

A deeply poser post
Good.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I will say that I hold particular ire for 8 for killing off a significant amount of the boat passengers off-camera. Like they come across the bodies, but come the gently caress on. What do you think I paid a ticket for?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Fart City posted:

I will say that I hold particular ire for 8 for killing off a significant amount of the boat passengers off-camera. Like they come across the bodies, but come the gently caress on. What do you think I paid a ticket for?

I never got a clear idea of how many people were supposed to be on that boat

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You paid to see Jason Take Manhattan. Not take a lovely rear end boat. It’s a horrible movie in every way. I would fight it if it was a living entity lol

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I never got a clear idea of how many people were supposed to be on that boat

Well in a movie where a cruise starts in a landlocked lake, there are a lot of vagaries.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

You paid to see Jason Take Manhattan. Not take a lovely rear end boat. It’s a horrible movie in every way. I would fight it if it was a living entity lol

I am sorry you are a bad at movies

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I always wished that instead of doing the remaking Friday the 13th that they instead would have remade Jason Takes Manhattan and kept that look for Jason but actually had most/all of it be in NYC. Like have the whole boat part be like the first ten or 15 minutes or something.

Darko posted:

3 is starting to become my least favorite because its the worst of all worlds. 1, 2 and even 5 had a slight mystery angle to make all the kills until the end a 1st person thing. 3 had no reason at all for that since we knew it was Jason, its the second worst 3d gratuitous stupidity after Jaws 3D, and its the same exact movie as 1 and 2 with worse characters. But directed worse than either.

I watched them all in order a couple of years ago for the first time in a while and yeah. I liked 3 a lot more back then too but watching them all again I liked 2 waaaaaay more than I remembered and I liked 3 a hell of a lot less. 3 feels like it takes forever to get going too. I mean all of them have some build up of course 3 just felt really long to me.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Well heck, if you wanna see a single actor knock it so far out the park that they single handedly make a terrible schlock movie genuinely good, watch Q: The Winged Serpent.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

speaking of Joe Bob I missed him announcing the second film and when he was doing the run-down I basically predicted the film from what he was saying

Incest... orgies... high society... jock douchebag villain.... this sounds like society

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Fart City posted:

The problem about 8 (besides literally 5 mins of Manhattan) is that the kills are either excessively mean or poo poo and non gory. And Jason cheats so much in that movie; you shouldn't be able to run away from him downstairs and have him pop in front of you. And the kid Jason apparition with a full head of hair whatever that is. And whatever happened with the "Manhattan's daily toxic waste sewer flush" thing going on.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Darko posted:

And whatever happened with the "Manhattan's daily toxic waste sewer flush" thing going on.

That was probably instituted as part of the C.H.U.D. Sewer Infestation Protocols.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/kcgreenn/status/1115033199384698881

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

That was probably instituted as part of the C.H.U.D. Sewer Infestation Protocols.

Did that result in the CHUD2 straight up zombies, which is why it stopped?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I like how cartoonish part 8's NYC is. Five minutes off the boat and the chick is accosted by hispanic gangster heroin junkies who try to shoot her dog, drug her, and attempt to rape her in a back alley next to a burning barrel. Five minutes later, Jason kills her dad by dragging him to another alley and drowning him in a barrel full of dead rats and lime green toxic waste that's just sitting there.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Darko posted:

And whatever happened with the "Manhattan's daily toxic waste sewer flush" thing going on.

Having grown up in NYC I found that part the most unrealistic, they don't flush any of that stuff away it just sits in the Gowanus forever.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I must say, Castle Freak delivers a hundred percent on its title. No complaints here!

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

so i stumbled across this Michael Myers v Jason fanfilm produced by a couple of brits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXjOA6B9sYA

I feel like there is a whole.... super discussion to be had about slasher fan films. It is a well that has no bottom.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fart City posted:

so i stumbled across this Michael Myers v Jason fanfilm produced by a couple of brits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXjOA6B9sYA

I feel like there is a whole.... super discussion to be had about slasher fan films. It is a well that has no bottom.

I haven't watched this one yet. Is it

Good?

That one Jason fan film, Don't Camp Alone, was actually really well done

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Burkion posted:

I haven't watched this one yet. Is it

Good?

That one Jason fan film, Don't Camp Alone, was actually really well done

Don't Camp Alone is a major outlier. It is awesome.

This is not good.

But it's cute. That is a common thread in horror fan films.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fart City posted:

Don't Camp Alone is a major outlier. It is awesome.

This is not good.

But it's cute. That is a common thread in horror fan films.

Well that's good at least. So long as it's not

Look there are some REAL lovely Nightmare fanfilms out there. They're

They're a thing

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Burkion posted:

Well that's good at least. So long as it's not

Look there are some REAL lovely Nightmare fanfilms out there. They're

They're a thing

This is what I'm talking about though. Link that poo poo. Bad slasher fanfilms are... they are a unique beast.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fart City posted:

This is what I'm talking about though. Link that poo poo. Bad slasher fanfilms are... they are a unique beast.

I think people try to quietly ignore that they exist

Like the only place I've run into some of them in the wild is Archive.org and that was an extreme case of "i've dug too deep"

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I just love the journey of One Dude Who Made A Pinhead Costume making it big.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
There's some dude on youtube who makes like 10 fan short films a year about anything, Superman, Blade Runner, Rick and Morty, just a bunch of poo poo and I imagine they're all awful. Anyway, dudes got a whole series of Freddy prequels with the same actor where it's just Freddy going around town and kidnapping and killing kids and it's some real suckass business.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Origami Dali posted:

There's some dude on youtube who makes like 10 fan short films a year about anything, Superman, Blade Runner, Rick and Morty, just a bunch of poo poo and I imagine they're all awful. Anyway, dudes got a whole series of Freddy prequels with the same actor where it's just Freddy going around town and kidnapping and killing kids and it's some real suckass business.

Imagine that, though. Just yelling into the void. It's so wild to imagine the effort of it all.

Also "real suckass business" has now entered my verbal rolodex, thanks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I tried to make a Nightmare fan film, and a Halloween one, but it ended up just making title sequences for both lol. I don’t think I ever wrote any scripts for them. Some guy on YouTube accused me of stealing his anoes idea because I used the same title as him, I guess. I called it “The Dream Demon” because I was lazy as hell.

Fan films are kinda fun to make if you’re not breaking the bank with them. I finished one and am kinda proud of it, and would kinda like to do it again, but it just has to have a good story behind it. Otherwise it’s pointless.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I legit think horror fanfilms are interesting because they're such a laser-focused cultural thing. Like almost all of them are bad, but they're born of good intentions. It's like... misguided reverence.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What was that one Friday fan film where the director was super skeevy and just wanted to shoot some tits? There was a very specific one. I think RLM talked about it but I’m not sure

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

What was that one Friday fan film where the director was super skeevy and just wanted to shoot some tits? There was a very specific one. I think RLM talked about it but I’m not sure

Species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh poo poo I also DID do a Friday thing for high school. He sound design is bad and the ki ki ma ma is just badly mixed lmao. But hey,.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BasgOqvjTCA