Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's rare for TV releases due to their nature since they are released as the season is airing in most cases, so the licensing likely doesn't include any bonus content that's yet to be produced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Jonas didn’t have any way to age up the clone. We also don’t know that rusty was cloned more than once. From the last season they fixed some things timeline wise, but for rusty to be in college in the late 80s, he would have to have been born either in the late 60s/70s. We know also there was a preteenish rusty in the late 60s. My guess is he died and current rusty is a sole clone born in the same timeframe as Malcolm.

Dr Quinn as a kid was also preteenish at the same time as preteen Rusty, and later is the same age as Rusty in modern day. So any cloning must have taken place before then. It's more likely that Rusty is just a failed attempt by Jonas to clone himself, just the one time

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

QuarkJets posted:

Dr Quinn as a kid was also preteenish at the same time as preteen Rusty, and later is the same age as Rusty in modern day. So any cloning must have taken place before then. It's more likely that Rusty is just a failed attempt by Jonas to clone himself, just the one time

I had just assumed the key party is in the late 70s. Original rusty was born in the late 50s.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You kinda gotta allow for some floating timeline shenanigans given the schedule of the show, but Rusty is definitely meant to have grown up in the 70s, in the twilight of the jet age, and that's where all his ideas about SCIENCE solidified.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I mean, someone with the DvDs could like, rip the commentary audio and upload it somewhere. Please. Maybe.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Jonas probably invented Key Parties.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Machai posted:

I mean, someone with the DvDs could like, rip the commentary audio and upload it somewhere. Please. Maybe.

It's been done if you know where to look, but not as standalone audio.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
Was at Pensacon last month.
Got a autograph from James Urbaniak.

A poorly made drawing of Dr. Henry Killinger by Ken Plume

A few Venture Industries stickers for my truck.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Jonas didn’t have any way to age up the clone. We also don’t know that rusty was cloned more than once. From the last season they fixed some things timeline wise, but for rusty to be in college in the late 80s, he would have to have been born either in the late 60s/70s. We know also there was a preteenish rusty in the late 60s. My guess is he died and current rusty is a sole clone born in the same timeframe as Malcolm.

Christ I'm being spergy as hell here, but I was under the impression that Rusty entered college sometime in the early 80s? In the Christmas episode from season 1 Pete White brags to Triana about being the first DJ to play Bauhaus, whom had disbanded by 1983, on his college radio station and In Past Tense Dr. Sorayama mentions being blown away by Bladerunner which came out in 1982.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Like Archer, the show takes place whenever the writers want it to so they can include whatever they want.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It’s a paradox from time travel. Rusty went back in time and seduced his own mother and broke time itself, that’s why the timelines don’t make sense.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

morally adept posted:

Christ I'm being spergy as hell here, but I was under the impression that Rusty entered college sometime in the early 80s? In the Christmas episode from season 1 Pete White brags to Triana about being the first DJ to play Bauhaus, whom had disbanded by 1983, on his college radio station and In Past Tense Dr. Sorayama mentions being blown away by Bladerunner which came out in 1982.

You’re right originally that he did, but they changed that by putting movie night in the late 80s. Jonas died while rusty was still a freshman in college.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

The Venture Brothers world works like the marvel universe. Everything is on a sliding timescale.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

You’re right originally that he did, but they changed that by putting movie night in the late 80s. Jonas died while rusty was still a freshman in college.

He wasn't a freshman, Brock was a freshman. Rusty and White I think were seniors.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
One thing that was pointed out long ago was that season 4 of Venture Brothers ended, and then there was a gap of time before season 5. Chronologically, the Season 4 finale and Season 5 premier happen immediately after one another.

In the season 5 premier, there is a scene with the Monarch dressed as Khal Drogo from Game of thrones, a series which had just finished it's third season, and had premiered its first season on HBO AFTER the airing season 4's finale.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

morally adept posted:

Pete White brags to Triana about being the first DJ to play Bauhaus, whom had disbanded by 1983, on his college radio station

Pete lying to impress a girl seems much more likely.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
The Venture Bros actually takes place in 2004

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Master Twig posted:

One thing that was pointed out long ago was that season 4 of Venture Brothers ended, and then there was a gap of time before season 5. Chronologically, the Season 4 finale and Season 5 premier happen immediately after one another.

In the season 5 premier, there is a scene with the Monarch dressed as Khal Drogo from Game of thrones, a series which had just finished it's third season, and had premiered its first season on HBO AFTER the airing season 4's finale.

Monarch liked the books. :colbert:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Nanigans posted:

Monarch liked the books. :colbert:

yeah but he’s clearly dressed as momoa. and that’s the last comment i’ll make on this because it really doesn’t matter all that much

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

qirex posted:

Pete lying to impress a girl seems much more likely.

More importantly, that was a dream.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

TK-42-1 posted:

it really doesn’t matter all that much

This is the best and only answer for questions about timelines and other lore in any fictional setting

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/welcomet0nature/status/1115657573942874112

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Hedrigall posted:

This is the best and only answer for questions about timelines and other lore in any fictional setting

MST3K Opening Credits Song posted:

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
And other science facts,
Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show,
I should really just relax"

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:hmbol:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Like Archer, the show takes place whenever the writers want it to so they can include whatever they want.
This Archer thing blows me the gently caress away given how often it comes up. There has never been any indication that it takes place in the past, like, even a little bit. When they finally did do that, it was a coma dream.

Geo Fixer posted:

The Venture Brothers world works like the marvel universe. Everything is on a sliding timescale.
That being said, it's this. Cartoons don't age and time keeps moving.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

This Archer thing blows me the gently caress away given how often it comes up. There has never been any indication that it takes place in the past, like, even a little bit. When they finally did do that, it was a coma dream.

That being said, it's this. Cartoons don't age and time keeps moving.

Do you mean besides the Soviet Union being a thing?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

What do you mean? Archer has anachronistic 60s tech next to modern cellphones and computers. The Soviets are still around, etc

e: beaten

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

I'm not saying it takes place in the past, I'm saying that they include things from whatever time period they want without caring about anachronisms. Like when they go to Monaco to retrieve a data disc and the monaco grand prix is going on using cars from the 60s. Their computers are from the 70s.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

I'm not saying it takes place in the past, I'm saying that they include things from whatever time period they want without caring about anachronisms. Like when they go to Monaco to retrieve a data disc and the monaco grand prix is going on using cars from the 60s. Their computers are from the 70s.
I get what you're saying, and we're closer on this than I usually am with people on the issue, but things and governments from the past existing don't mean it's literally still the 1980s. The hardware at ISIS is outdated because it's ISIS.

But yeah, they include whatever they want because like the Ventures, it's a pop culture pastiche.

But both clearly take place in the present.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There's even a joke where they acknowledge the shifting time frame. Someone asks "What year is it?" to mock someone else being old-fashioned and someone goes "That's actually a good question"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also Woodhouse fought in WW1.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

I get what you're saying, and we're closer on this than I usually am with people on the issue, but things and governments from the past existing don't mean it's literally still the 1980s. The hardware at ISIS is outdated because it's ISIS.

But yeah, they include whatever they want because like the Ventures, it's a pop culture pastiche.

But both clearly take place in the present.

That Monaco episode clearly took place in the 60s. The way it looked and all the cars are straight out of the 60s. So yes, the show overall takes place in the present, they take artistic license to make it take place whenever they want so they can include whatever aesthetic they are going for.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
References to pop culture set minimum bounds on the time period for Archer. “Danger Zone” was released in 1986, etc.

But of course the correct answer is really the MST3K mantra.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Both the Venture Bros and Archer take place in such a far distant future that human civilization effectively ended and was reborn in a new cycle, which culminated in a society that's eerily similar, though with noticeable differences, to our own.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Archer is shown to be alive in 1953 when woodhouse tells him that operation Ajax is a success and has a touch screen sat phone in a different episode. The only consistent part is that it’s post ww2

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 10, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The entire Archer universe is a failed experiment by Rusty that he has in a bottle buried in the debris of the old Venture compound.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Archer has actually been a trash-tier henchman in a Joy Can this entire time.

(It would actually explain a lot.)

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

LividLiquid posted:

but things and governments from the past existing don't mean it's literally still the 1980s.

Literally the 70s. Archer is born sometime in the middle of World War II (no earlier than 1943, if the OSS was created in 1942) and Archer is in his mid 30s.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

LividLiquid posted:

FWIW I never got the impression that ISIS's equipment was supposed to be read as "outdated". It looked to me like state-of-the-art-in-a-parallel-universe stuff, like the magnifying screens in Brazil.

My reading was always that ISIS was quite well and spookily funded, at least at the outset before the plot dictated otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's almost easy to miss with Archer given it doesn't usually call attention to it (and the last couple seasons have sidestepped the issue entirely) but it's basically a combination of whatever's convenient for spy fiction; the clothing is 60s, the computers are 80s, but they have smartphones and the internet (see the episode where a Japanese WW2 vet talks to his long-lost wife on smartphone video chat), the Soviet Union still exists, and they have laser rifles, cyborgs and holograms. (though I think Krieger gets a pass on being the resident mad scientist) As said, the birthdates and character histories generally add up to being in the 70s, though the culture is mostly modern, and celebrity cameos and such are generally contemporary.

Ambiguous anachronism is all the rage nowadays; both Riverdale and Sabrina have it, with smartphones occasionally showing up but only when necessary, and the culture can be 80s or even 50s. (Sabrina in particular I think has a lot more since Greendale seems to be a very conservative area, as well as the witches modernising at their own pace. Ambrose has a laptop and implied to use the internet, which is probably a huge boon to someone who's been under house-arrest for a century)

Venture Bros is more comic book style floating timeline and just not worrying about continuity issues since it's the aesthetics that are important. Since kind of a big theme for Doc especially is that he's stuck in the Jet Age of scientific dreams that's long forgotten while the world has and continues to move on without him. (while Jonas Jr, unburdened by trauma and getting a fresh modern education, integrates pretty much instantly)