Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

oh... good question. haven't been backpacking since i was a boy scout in like the early 2000s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Jonny 290 posted:

do they still even make externals?

i dont think so but you could probably find one in an army/navy store

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I just like how they look lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i haven't seen a new external frame backpack in a very long time, I'm sure someone out there is making them though

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
what's wrong with an external frame

i still have one from the 1960s it seems fine

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
is it all carbon fiber and performance kevlar or tacticlol now

they had waxed canvas and aluminum tubing already in the 1960s and idk how you would improve on that formula

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what's wrong with an external frame

i still have one from the 1960s it seems fine

a lot of packs now weigh < 2 or 3 pounds, and have little or no frame as you're used to. my main pack is basically just a heavy stuff sack with a few extra pockets. gear is quite light now, and often people will carry about 15 pounds or less with everything, even on overnights. a lot of people skip traditional hiking boots as well, going for trail runners or other lighter footwear

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

where’s my 10lb lodge skillet supposed to hang from if there’s no frame

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PokeJoe posted:

i haven't seen a new external frame backpack in a very long time, I'm sure someone out there is making them though

I have three; i snipe them from thrift stores because they're a+ as hell

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i am completely addicted to backpacks, daypacks, expedition packs, lumbar packs, messengers, satchels, pouches, and so on

if i identified as female i would have like 17 billion purses

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

where’s my 10lb lodge skillet supposed to hang from if there’s no frame

you get a lash pad or two and a sewing kit

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my pack is ~35lb with food and water. and a flask. and a beer just because.

this is for a 2night

idk if that's bad or not but I get there and have a good time

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

i am completely addicted to backpacks, daypacks, expedition packs, lumbar packs, messengers, satchels, pouches, and so on

if i identified as female i would have like 17 billion purses

wow I didn't even know I had an alt account

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
mods please change thread title to "yospos loves gear" tia

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i also love bags. I have a great backpack that fully opens like luggage that is really great for traveling. i want a new backpacking pack though, the one I have is from Costco and doesn't fit that great

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
heres my frame packs

unknown manufacturer, made in Korea, but very light and well built
old school 70s design from a company called Frostline that was in that wave of 70s hike/climb hippie businesses
early 80s (i think?) Jansport

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

my gf got me a camo print mission workshop bag that I take to work, it’s dope af brah

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

kelty makes modern external frames but they look massive

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the external frame backpacks I've seen lately are mostly targeted at backcountry hunting for strapping all your bags of game meat and other stuff to

lots of titanium and carbon frames with those too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

lancemantis posted:

the external frame backpacks I've seen lately are mostly targeted at backcountry hunting for strapping all your bags of game meat and other stuff to

Yeah there are some pretty good purpose built game hauler frames out there

I love external frame packs cause i'm HAM HIKER, and they provide an excellent structure to bolt/clamp various antennas to so i can look like a dweeb in the sticks

tmesis
Jan 18, 2007

sup holmes
Megamarm

lancemantis posted:

but can i fit a 15” macbook in them on my commute to work

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I want a canvas one for my 1950s backcountry cosplay

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

heres my frame packs

unknown manufacturer, made in Korea, but very light and well built
old school 70s design from a company called Frostline that was in that wave of 70s hike/climb hippie businesses
early 80s (i think?) Jansport

my external frame looks exactly like the center one, but with waxed canvas instead of nylon for the actual bag part

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh mannnn yeah i'd love a waxed canvas bag. nothin's crossed paths with me yet but

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I need to wax my canvas jacket.

went mountain biking in the woods today. fell off a seesaw on a green run and protected the bike from the ground with my body :smug:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I need to wax my canvas jacket.

went mountain biking in the woods today. fell off a seesaw on a green run and protected the bike from the ground with my body :smug:

It’s a good thing you landed on you are poasts (because they’re poo poo and, therefore, soft)!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i went on a hike today and found $5 on the trail. the outdoors are very rewarding.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

should i get an internal or external frame pack

external

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i bought this pack because i have brain damage https://seekoutside.com/divide-4500-ultralight-backpack-olive-green/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
jayzus

thats nice tho

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

i went on a hike today and found $5 on the trail. the outdoors are very rewarding.

I saw two squirrels on the trail and they're worth at least $2.50

outside is good

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

It’s a good thing you landed on you are poasts (because they’re poo poo and, therefore, soft)!

we are all truly blessed

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
bag problem? maybe

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
keep the rarest ones indoors

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

keep the rarest ones indoors

Water does you no good in your canteen

Bring the old school gear out until it breaks, then keep fixing it until it's more fix than original

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i fuckin love jackets

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
jonnys bag hoarding inspired me to pick this up on ebay for $50

4lbs, but should be plenty to handle what I do, and my tent and sleeping bag are light as hell because I bought them new recently - only 2.5 lbs for the tent and 3 lbs for the 0° bag so overall I think I can keep it around 30-35 pounds which is actually pretty light for a 190lb dude like myself.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
saying hi from a timeline where i have realized that stymie is, and has always been, right.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

lancemantis posted:

i have one of these in coyote brown: https://westernhunter.net/gear-reviews/backpack-reviews-outdoorsmans-optics-pack/

it was like $300 on sale. it's a good pack though.

don't get the cabela's external frame hunting pack, it sucks despite the nice load shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

jonnys bag hoarding inspired me to pick this up on ebay for $50

4lbs, but should be plenty to handle what I do, and my tent and sleeping bag are light as hell because I bought them new recently - only 2.5 lbs for the tent and 3 lbs for the 0° bag so overall I think I can keep it around 30-35 pounds which is actually pretty light for a 190lb dude like myself.

That's good poo poo. REI is good today, but they were grrrrrreat back then. Nice price