Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Max posted:

As a response to another person calling him a piece of poo poo, I don't like it, no.

I will remember that it is okay to call other mafia players pieces of poo poo with impunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I am a serial blocker and don't really find it usefull to spit back in someone's face most of the time. In a perfect world no one is calling someone a piece of poo poo.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Anyway, here's the whole thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792227&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Aboriginals are fine, it’s the rest you have to watch

This is not preferred use and i'd suggest you don't use this in the future. Please try instead Aboriginal peoples or Aboriginal Australians. Aboriginal should only be used as an adjective. It's also increasingly acceptable to use First Australians, or First Peoples :eng101:

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
lol I'm just messing with you anyway bud. I agree it was an inappropriate response.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

busb posted:

This is not preferred use and i'd suggest you don't use this in the future. Please try instead Aboriginal peoples or Aboriginal Australians. Aboriginal should only be used as an adjective. It's also increasingly acceptable to use First Australians, or First Peoples :eng101:

Oh, the only fellow I knew of that race used the term to refer to his people. I'll not use it here.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Nevermind

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 3, 2019

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Since there are a lot of new posts here I'm going to advertise:

We are starting up an SA Mafia Out of the Park Baseball 2018 league. We picked OOTP18 because it is free on nitro for subscribers and/or extremely cheap on the grey market because it was $1 in a humble bundle once.

So far we are at 10/30 teams. Let me know here or on discord if you want to play. We've mostly been coordinating in the #baseball channel for now. Hoping to get started in a couple of weeks since it seems like we've gotten most of the technical issues worked out thanks to the tireless efforts of SK.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

chaoslord posted:

Since there are a lot of new posts here I'm going to advertise:

We are starting up an SA Mafia Out of the Park Baseball 2018 league. We picked OOTP18 because it is free on nitro for subscribers and/or extremely cheap on the grey market because it was $1 in a humble bundle once.

So far we are at 10/30 teams. Let me know here or on discord if you want to play. We've mostly been coordinating in the #baseball channel for now. Hoping to get started in a couple of weeks since it seems like we've gotten most of the technical issues worked out thanks to the tireless efforts of SK.

I am already in a Strat-O-Matic league that takes up WAY TOO MUCH TIME or I'd join this thing!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

In conclusion, Harold Krell is a land of contrasts.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
We have been playing Mafia here for a dozen years, and it’s stll not dead.

The Krell discussion has me wondering. The name of this thread is “Calling Each Other Idiots in the Name of Fun”. Has something changed? What do you get out of playing Mafia? What makes it a compelling and fun activity for you? What experience are you chasing for a fix?

If you no longer play Mafia games but remain attached to the community, what’s are the reasons you don’t play anymore? I wish we could ask the most compelling and fun players who have left forever what happened.

What sort of behavior or occurrences would you see in the perfect Mafia game? Was there a particular post or play that sticks in your mind as especially compelling? I invite you to quote it.

I have my own answers to these questions but I am very curious about the feelings of the current community.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Lumpen posted:

The Krell discussion has me wondering. The name of this thread is “Calling Each Other Idiots in the Name of Fun”. Has something changed? What do you get out of playing Mafia? What makes it a compelling and fun activity for you? What experience are you chasing for a fix?

If you no longer play Mafia games but remain attached to the community, what’s are the reasons you don’t play anymore? I wish we could ask the most compelling and fun players who have left forever what happened.

What sort of behavior or occurrences would you see in the perfect Mafia game? Was there a particular post or play that sticks in your mind as especially compelling? I invite you to quote it.

I have my own answers to these questions but I am very curious about the feelings of the current community.

I enjoy people getting under my skin, and I enjoy the validation as a human being. I feel like I've become more convincing and my professional voice has developed as well. I enjoy trying to get one over on people as scum and I also enjoy trying to solve the mystery as town.

I'm a bit of narcissist and masochist so it placates those conscious and unconscious desires. I play to entertain myself.

I've also enjoyed fostering loose friendships born of recognition and familiarity. I've never met any of you in person, but I'd go out of my way if you needed something that I could somehow help with. I enjoy spotting you all in other places on this antiquated online forum. I don't hold much bitterness in my heart for individuals or instances, more so than I do the world at large so I have no beef with anyone and enjoy your varied personalities and the insights into your lives.

Community wise, you're all not so bad. I think things get heated from time to time, but that's the nature of the game. I think we're conflict seeking creatures, and it's a good way to work out that neurotic brain energy that accumulates.

Gameplay wise. I think personal attacks should always be avoided, and players should be antagonizing by dismantling a player's logic, not by insulting their person. If you feel like your pots about to boil, just step away. BUT we're human and sometimes are tongues are sharper than we intend.

Perfect game. Everyone plays to their wincon. No one lurks. Everyone posts at least 10 content filled posts per game day. Days are a strict 48/ Nights a strict 24(Life obviously permits passes - I have taken my share). I think you can't get much better than that. I will say that I personally am a fan of gambits, unconventional setups, and balanced bastard setups

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Because I am the greatest mafia player alive today and denying people my participation would be the equivalent oh a war crime.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I like scum hunting :kiddo:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Toalpaz posted:

I like scum hunting :kiddo:

You have unfortunately inherited the Spoonsy curse.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

who is spoonsy

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Spoonsy is an old player who I think I can count on one hand the number of times they rolled town.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

lol

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

GulagDolls posted:

i spent several years globetrotting and throwing rocks at ravens while wearing a horrifying werewolf mask and to this day all ravens everywhere will attack kashuno on sight

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
hmm that wasn’t in a game

JakeP in some game posted:

Well now I know, if anyone posts in the thread after being absent for the entire day and says "IM SO CONFUSED" I will say "ITS OKAY SWEET BABY LET ME HOLD YOUR HEAD AND SWADDLE YOU IN THESE BLANKETS, NOW SUCKLE AT MY TEAT AND BE NOURISHED"

Li-Dawny what kind of doula are you! A newborn cpig baby has come into the world confused, and you did nothing!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I hate when people call me scum when I'm town, because I know I'm town and therefore they must be scum faking content.

meanwhile I have zero clue why anyone WOULDN'T call me scum when I'm scum, cause I'm obviously a bad scum faking content.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Pander posted:

I hate when people call me scum when I'm town, because I know I'm town and therefore they must be scum faking content.

meanwhile I have zero clue why anyone WOULDN'T call me scum when I'm scum, cause I'm obviously a bad scum faking content.

Same honestly

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Lumpen posted:

Good back and forth logical argumentation, working from incomplete information, trying to solve puzzles. I had fun tangling with Squiggly in Dr. Who.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Also Indiana Jones

quote:

Lumpen posted:

This is a reactive criticism. Chili's analysis may have been incorrect, but there was nothing particularly ScumMind about it. Yes, it was pointless, but it wasn't Scummy. You trying to spin up some fakey casejuice out of it is Scummy.

I was also fed up with you at the time and overlooked this as generic frustration. Now that chili's proving to be on me for stupid reasons I'm scrutinizing him harder. You're also doing the same thing -- you didn't think I was scum for playstyle or anything until I out and out said gently caress you and your artifact plan, it won't work, proved it, then you voted me in accordance with your stupid policy like anyone with half a brain KNEW you would and now you're shoehorning in other things because you actually believe your own bullshit that anyone who doesn't think giving the artifacts to the museum is the best plan must be scum.

This was also the game where I invented :lumpen: and then slamburger bought it.

KhyrosFinalCut fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 5, 2019

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
As far as why I left, My job became very all consuming and it was much harder to play during the day, and then I joined a few games a while later and some poo poo really hit the fan IRL and I ended up lurking in a big game, and also like the last 3 games I was excited about making a triumphant return in were abandoned or never started.

Also dating. dating is real nice. Just a matter of I really liked doing this but It's one of those things that's only fun when people put in effort and I didn't have the bandwidth to do it in a way that was fun for me/people playing with me.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

y'all idiots lmao

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nah no really I've find the more recent games I've played in where personal attacks have been discouraged a lot better to play in

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Lumpen posted:

If you no longer play Mafia games but remain attached to the community, what’s are the reasons you don’t play anymore?

I'm not very good at it.

Also grad school got in the way, I prefer running games to playing (but all the setups I have require more players than we have these days), and some people just made playing unfun.

But mostly I'm bad

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Little Mac posted:

I'm not very good at it.
But mostly I'm bad

That doesn't stop any of the rest of us.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

My first mafia game ever!

Can we all agree I took Krell's place?

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Captain Foo posted:

y'all idiots lmao

Captain Foo posted:

Nah no really I've find the more recent games I've played in where personal attacks have been discouraged a lot better to play in

CapitalistPig posted:

That doesn't stop any of the rest of us.

These posts are good and I'm posting them again SO THERE!

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Dick Bastardly posted:

These posts are good and I'm posting them again SO THERE!

wow could u be any more scum

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Mr. Humalong posted:

wow could u be any more scum

I sure can try

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Dick Bastardly posted:

I sure can try

:glomp:

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Tomnmunist. i'm ready for a new avatar

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

busb posted:

Tomnmunist. i'm ready for a new avatar

your wish is my command

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
ty friend *nods wiesly8

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
thorb was right there

busb