Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

We call them funeral parlors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I will care about football the day I hear a quarterback yell "Jav out!"

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I will care about football the day I hear a quarterback yell "Jav out!"

This is really reminiscent of 17776, is it related or by the same author?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

ryonguy posted:

This is really reminiscent of 17776, is it related or by the same author?

Same author. He also makes Pretty Good and Chart Party on YouTube.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
I propose Chirper. It piggybacks onto Twitter but it lets you send anonymous tweets to celebrities and professional athletes for $1 per tweet. I think this is the only way Twitter can be profitable.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Isn't that just Sponsored Tweets?

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Killswitch posted:

I propose Chirper. It piggybacks onto Twitter but it lets you send anonymous tweets to celebrities and professional athletes for $1 per tweet. I think this is the only way Twitter can be profitable.

If I can tell Trump to kill himself without earning a suspension every time I'll pony up.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

And lo, did the secret service descend upon Lowtax's spine once again.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Me posting here probably already did that. Sorry Lowtax.

For real though I just assume the pressure will get to him eventually and blow up his McD's bloated heart. I'm just cheering and encouraging that to happen.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ryonguy posted:

Me posting here probably already did that. Sorry Lowtax.

For real though I just assume the pressure will get to him eventually and blow up his McD's bloated heart. I'm just cheering and encouraging that to happen.

I don’t think he feels like he’s under any pressure at all. Indeed, why would he?

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t think he feels like he’s under any pressure at all. Indeed, why would he?

Dude has like zero ability to take any kind of advice, you really think he's going to listen if a doctor tells him he has to calm down about things or he's gonna stroke out? Sure it's wishful thinking on my part, but I give about 50/50 on him dying of a heart attack within the next few years.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They probably just mix the necessary drugs in with his fast food.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So like stuffing a pill into a chicken nugget like I do with my dog?

Or do they dust speed over his fries and call them seasoned?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
He's fat but he doesn't smoke or drink. Who knows, of course, but if you plug his basic info into a life expectancy calculator and odds are he'll be walking around for another 15 years, with a ~70% percent chance he makes it another 10. His mom made it to 88 and his dad to 93.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Not exactly a company circling the drain story, but student loans tied to income sharing agreements (basically, give me money for school and you can have x% of the money I make for some number of years) are another symptom of too much capital chasing too few investments.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-09/college-grads-sell-stakes-in-themselves-to-wall-street

If it makes you feel better, unless they've figured something new out and/or I'm wrong: a few students will get screwed, a bunch won't pay out, and the investors will lose money.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

pangstrom posted:

Not exactly a company circling the drain story, but student loans tied to income sharing agreements (basically, give me money for school and you can have x% of the money I make for some number of years) are another symptom of too much capital chasing too few investments.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-09/college-grads-sell-stakes-in-themselves-to-wall-street

If it makes you feel better, unless they've figured something new out and/or I'm wrong: a few students will get screwed, a bunch won't pay out, and the investors will lose money.

Cool cool we're bringing back indentured servitude. :shepicide:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ryonguy posted:

Cool cool we're bringing back indentured servitude. :shepicide:

It sounds more like feudalism. Here you've promised X% of your crops to the Duke of Matriculation.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

pangstrom posted:

This seems a lot like the system we have in Australia? :shrug: ~5% of my paycheck goes to the government to repay the loan they gave me for tertiary study. Though the loan doesn't gain interest (just inflation adjustments) and even if I got a ridiculously high-paying job I'd still only have to pay back what I owed, and now I look that version seems to be duration-based instead, I guess that's the main catch. Yeah, that's hosed.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The money on this case would be going to rentier leeches rather than to public fund

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

The retail apocalypse has claimed 6,000 US stores in 2019 so far, more than the number that shut down in all of 2018

:tif:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah the total collapse of retail the last two years is barely being covered at all despite the job loss exceeding the entire coal industry’s total jobs

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
People get a weird sort of local pride over coal/factory/etc jobs, and it's highly visible when the one or two local factories/mines/whatever close down. Not so much retail jobs, and the death by a thousand cuts as individual stores close.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Haifisch posted:

People get a weird sort of local pride over coal/factory/etc jobs, and it's highly visible when the one or two local factories/mines/whatever close down. Not so much retail jobs, and the death by a thousand cuts as individual stores close.

We have a manufacturing facility in West Virginia and the amount of coal industry worship displayed by my coworkers there is astounding.

They're the epitome of... I don't know, I'm sure there's some idiom about being hanging desperately onto a slowly-sinking piece of driftwood instead of swimming a few feet to a rescue boat or whatever.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Stockholm Syndrome

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Haifisch posted:

This is true, but absolutely not why so many chuds care about coal jobs; since the vast majority of them have never met anyone even adjacent to the coal industry.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Its easier to see an impact that is geographically concentrated over one that is spread out.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
There’s an odd romanticism with coal, but you could support a family on it until an early death plunged your widow and children into poverty.

Most MAGA’s know as many coal miners as they know active duty military. It’s easy to idolize a profession you have no contact with.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 13:19 on Apr 18, 2019

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It's an industry where you produce something. Manufacture, Farming, Mining, Fishing, these are all considered Good, Important, Real jobs to the people this messaging is for, because at the end of the day, your hard work created something tangible and useful. Those of us posting here probably mostly have service sector jobs, where at the end of the day your contribution to mankind is moving numbers around a spreadsheet, making a fart app, or convincing someone to buy overpriced candles.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Don't talk about my loving candles

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Spend less on candles

It tickles me how a lot of the same people who idolize the vague idea of farmers being the heart of America will scoff at the "eat local, eat organic, farm-to-table, etc." types and buy whatever is cheapest at Walmart. I realize it's because the economy sucks, but that's partially due to their refusal to support policies that might improve that whole situation.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's also this weird ickyness at loving whole foods vegantarian douchebag LIBRUHLS with their yoga and pachouli and mushroom coffee and...

It's kind of like watching TV from the 90s and people scoffing at latte cappuccino culture

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Who doesn't like a cappuccino

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

It's kind of like watching TV from the 90s and people scoffing at latte cappuccino culture

Off topic but it is surreal to watch shows from the 90's and how they portray homosexuals

I thought things were better then

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

They're acknowledged as actual people instead of being hinted at while off screen. Three's Company is actually weirdly progressive in that the landlord doesn't just run him off.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

My wife and I were watching Turner classic movies and out of the blue the protagonist backhands the female lead for being hysterical. The screen zooms in with the vignette all blurry and she has doe eyes and is holding her cheek and legit goes, "Thanks, I needed that."

It was so surreal and horrifically funny.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Glenn Quebec posted:

My wife and I were watching Turner classic movies and out of the blue the protagonist backhands the female lead for being hysterical. The screen zooms in with the vignette all blurry and she has doe eyes and is holding her cheek and legit goes, "Thanks, I needed that."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IORS5Dq0W8s

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Glenn Quebec posted:

Who doesn't like a cappuccino

:wave:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

But why

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Don't like coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Glenn Quebec posted: