Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/abrunetweets/status/1113963560676265984

He's lost whatever mind he had in the first place it appears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba2sZVLogy0

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

https://twitter.com/MickstapeShow/status/1006746690567761920

:911:

"i'm associated with walt disney, but damnit, everybody knows that i'm a bottom feeder"

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
good for stephen. he is funnier and more likable than anyone else doing that thing.

lmao at that snoop clip

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/Rachel__Nichols/status/1113852242908442625

I met Verne briefly at a hotel bar in San Antonio while the Bama/Clemson national championship was on, super nice guy, but yeah he very clearly was the type that could drink anyone under the table.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Mahoning posted:

ALL of them? Because unless they’re offering all of them, the original point makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense that depending on someone's individual tastes, streaming services might not save them money

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
We’re also creeping toward a future where every network is going to have their own subscriptions based streaming service. It’s not hard to imagine a point where it costs more to have all the services you want than it is to have cable.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/Rachel__Nichols/status/1113852242908442625

I met Verne briefly at a hotel bar in San Antonio while the Bama/Clemson national championship was on, super nice guy, but yeah he very clearly was the type that could drink anyone under the table.

There was a Zach Lowe podcast with Ian Eagle like a year or two ago where he mostly just told Raftery drinking stories and it was amazing

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The argument still makes no sense because the beauty of streaming services is I don't need to subscribe to them all, at least not all at once. They are super easy to cancel and replace with something else as the shows you want return or go off the air. You can't get rid of the channels you don't want on cable to save money. I only watch ESPN in the fall for college football. With cable I'm forced to pay (a lot) for it year round. Game of Thrones is back? Time to resubscribe to HBO (granted you CAN actually do this with cable). Handmaid's Tale? Resubscribe to Hulu for 2 months.

And I can do all of that without calling customer service or having someone come out to my home between noon and 4pm.

And even with all of the services I subscribe to over the year, if I DID pay for them all year, it is STILL cheaper per month than the cheapest cable package I can get.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

There was a Zach Lowe podcast with Ian Eagle like a year or two ago where he mostly just told Raftery drinking stories and it was amazing

It was eye-opening to learn that the strange noise Raftery makes at the beginning of every game is "man to man" ("with ZONE PRINCIPLES" when calling Syracuse games). Equally eye-opening was the fact that Ian Eagle has never eaten a salad.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Oh man I need to hear this

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Mahoning posted:

And even with all of the services I subscribe to over the year, if I DID pay for them all year, it is STILL cheaper per month than the cheapest cable package I can get.

I think cable is more likely to survive if they just hitched itself to the "on demand/app" wagon over the current/dying model of "Hey pay us 85 bucks for reruns of "BONES" on TNT"

Starting to wonder how viable some of these cable channels are going forward by the way.

ESPN has a model that will keep them sustainable for the future. But some of these others..man.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'm watching the NCAA women's championship right now, and ESPN's in-game coverage of a serious injury for one of Baylor's players is loving disgusting. They held a split screen of her being attended to and her parents looking on in horror for like 2 straight minutes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m sure a lot of those niche cable channels will eventually die off. They are not very sustainable and a bunch of them are redundant.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think cable is more likely to survive if they just hitched itself to the "on demand/app" wagon over the current/dying model of "Hey pay us 85 bucks for reruns of "BONES" on TNT"

Starting to wonder how viable some of these cable channels are going forward by the way.

ESPN has a model that will keep them sustainable for the future. But some of these others..man.

Yeah, it seems like we're just heading toward a bunch of competing content libraries and a few live event streaming services, and probably some of the content libraries and streaming services get married. Pay Disney $70 a month and get Hulu, all things ESPN, and Disney+. Pay AT&T and get the Turner movie library, TNT's current sports offerings, and HBO, and if AT&T is your phone provider maybe you get those for free. Maybe Turner makes a play for some college football rights in a few years too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

General Dog posted:

Yeah, it seems like we're just heading toward a bunch of competing content libraries and a few live event streaming services, and probably some of the content libraries and streaming services get married. Pay Disney $70 a month and get Hulu, all things ESPN, and Disney+. Pay AT&T and get the Turner movie library, TNT's current sports offerings, and HBO, and if AT&T is your phone provider maybe you get those for free. Maybe Turner makes a play for some college football rights in a few years too.
Would be great if some of these mega conglomerates would combine their drat streaming services already but I don’t see it happening.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Would be great if some of these mega conglomerates would combine their drat streaming services already but I don’t see it happening.

They will when they get serious about killing off the competition.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

as it stands they have no economic reason to do so; if disney can get you to pay for disney’s streaming service and for a dedicated “geek” service with marvel and lucasfilms properties and then license their fox and abc properties, it makes more economic sense and has less risk than bundling it all into one even if consumers would be happier

if the nfl didn’t already exist as an ironclad mutually assured destructive enterprise with the owners i would imagine they’d model themselves after the ncaa in terms of regional networks along with one delusional team in texas with their own channel; i know there are regional sports networks that sort of fill this niche already but those aren’t owned by the nfl or their teams

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i love the usual group of scoundrels that show up to guest-host HQ but when they get a guest host and poo poo on them relentlessly it's pretty great

and Bosh is a great sport

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

as it stands they have no economic reason to do so; if disney can get you to pay for disney’s streaming service and for a dedicated “geek” service with marvel and lucasfilms properties and then license their fox and abc properties, it makes more economic sense and has less risk than bundling it all into one even if consumers would be happier

if the nfl didn’t already exist as an ironclad mutually assured destructive enterprise with the owners i would imagine they’d model themselves after the ncaa in terms of regional networks along with one delusional team in texas with their own channel; i know there are regional sports networks that sort of fill this niche already but those aren’t owned by the nfl or their teams

While I rather appreciate the revenue sharing model the NFL has as a fan of a small market?

I also dislike how the TV model currently is versus the college version of the game or the MLB, NBA and NHL

I've bitched about it before but how the Cowboys Vs. NFC East matchup is just always dragged to the 4:15 slot every week by Fox is infuriating. I don't have a problem with any of these teams or their fans, but I really like the ability to b able to watch as many teams as possible during weekends in the falls.

If the Cowboys pulled something like getting NBC to air them every week ala Notre Dame? There would be no objections from me because I would understand the argument.

I don't even object to when I get them in Tulsa, that is very much a market they split with the Chiefs. Just when I lived in the greater Cleveland-area? I should not have been getting them every week, no fail.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 8, 2019

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/HQonESPN/status/1115358657846231040?s=20

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

i know there are regional sports networks that sort of fill this niche already but those aren’t owned by the nfl or their teams

Doesn’t Daniel Snyder also own the/a regional sports channel in the DMV area already? I know part of the complaint about him/his team is that the local media he owns provides pillowy soft coverage of the Washington Racial Slurs.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

harperdc posted:

Doesn’t Daniel Snyder also own the/a regional sports channel in the DMV area already? I know part of the complaint about him/his team is that the local media he owns provides pillowy soft coverage of the Washington Racial Slurs.

that’s true; what i meant to/should have said was these channels don’t feature the nfl’s branding or the branding of the individual teams so they aren’t inextricably linked like, say, the longhorn network

FuzzySkinner posted:

While I rather appreciate the revenue sharing model the NFL has as a fan of a small market?

I also dislike how the TV model currently is versus the college version of the game or the MLB, NBA and NHL

I've bitched about it before but how the Cowboys Vs. NFC East matchup is just always dragged to the 4:15 slot every week by Fox is infuriating. I don't have a problem with any of these teams or their fans, but I really like the ability to b able to watch as many teams as possible during weekends in the falls.

If the Cowboys pulled something like getting NBC to air them every week ala Notre Dame? There would be no objections from me because I would understand the argument.

I don't even object to when I get them in Tulsa, that is very much a market they split with the Chiefs. Just when I lived in the greater Cleveland-area? I should not have been getting them every week, no fail.

while a la carte sports consumption will suck in many ways, this will be a welcome change; i also think the revenue sharing is good in a sense that it forces teams to acknowledge that they are all part of one larger team and that they need to act in the common interest even as they compete with each other (although that leads to leaguewide blackballing and price fixing on safety salaries so maybe actually a bad thing)

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

harperdc posted:

He used to own the main sports radio channel in town, but iirc he sold that off a couple years ago, and 980 has been eclipsed in this market anyway.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jackie D posted:

He used to own the main sports radio channel in town, but iirc he sold that off a couple years ago, and 980 has been eclipsed in this market anyway.

Yeah I checked up and saw that afterwards.

I’m not sure off the top of my head about NFL teams but I do know there are regional sports networks owned by the teams — but usually the baseball/basketball/hockey side, which makes sense, as they have so much more content to broadcast. I know the Mariners own their network, and the Kroenke group owns one in Colorado that carries the Nuggets and Avs. That sort of business model doesn’t work as much for NFL because there’s just 16 or so games to sell, and the live broadcasts are already on a main network.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
In case anyone is interested, these are the Baseball Teams that still have games on Over the air tv:

quote:

Cubs: 70 games (45 WGN-TV, 25 ABC7 Chicago)
White Sox: 55 games (WGN-TV)
Yankees: 21 games (WPIX)
Giants: 13 games (KNTV/NBC Bay Area)
Dodgers: 10 games (KTLA, simulcast of SportsNet LA games)
Indians: 4 games (WKYC-TV)
Angels: KCOP, only games that conflict with NBA/NHL playoffs
Athletics: KOFY, only games that conflict with NBA/NHL playoffs
Phillies: WCAU-TV, home opener and “select” Friday/Saturday games
Mets: WPIX, did 25 games in 2018, no 2019 schedule yet
Brewers: WBME carried games in 2018, no 2019 schedule yet

https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2019/2/22/18235697/baseball-free-over-the-air-television-coming-to-an-end

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

fwiw the cubs and white sox won’t have any more free tv local telecasts after this year

also wpix still airs met games

https://twitter.com/ourand_sbj/status/1115962547075801088?s=21

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/NoahCoslov/status/1116356617799446528

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/1116774114331701251

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Hell yeah baby

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm actually not as shocked about OKC/Oklahoma.

There's an insane amount of love for them in this area. I would walk into various sports bars, etc seeing men around my dad's age following them with great interest. I really want to see what would happen if they made the finals again.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Birmingham is also where the Pels new G-League team plays. Gonna be growing that fan-base. Hell yeah!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

#1 doesn’t surprise me. If they were going to expand, Hampton Roads is ripe for a pro team, especially given how much the population has grown

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/RealMikeWilbon/status/1117557949268938752

(to clarify? this occured during a replay of the event).

Wilbon annoys me for some reason.

Which is funny because I love his co-host. Kornheiser is legit witty, fun, and seems like a great dude.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Tony's transformation from "problematic uncle" to "cool grandpa" sure is something hey.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/RealMikeWilbon/status/1117557949268938752

(to clarify? this occured during a replay of the event).

Wilbon annoys me for some reason.

Which is funny because I love his co-host. Kornheiser is legit witty, fun, and seems like a great dude.

Wilbon's been a mess for years now and him yelling about interrupting a replay is both hilarious and sad

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I think Tony and Wilbon both have terrible/stupid ideas/beliefs/perspectives but at least Tony is smart enough to be self aware and openly willing to not take himself so seriously—he accepts the absurdity of being a person on tv charged with yelling about sports all year. Wilbon on the other hand is insufferable, and operates on the assumption that his opinions on every and any issue matters because he is friends with Erving "Magic" Johnson.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The sad thing is Wilbon used to be that dude.

Like he was loving great.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nba should def put a team in North Carolina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'd still watch those two over Skip/Shannon and Stephen A/Max