Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
"did you know destiny is a woman's name? Did you know destiny is a woman's name"

make it stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

One does wonder how one manages to suffer through such constant humiliations without ever engaging in self reflection

I mean, he had an abusive family, right? When you grow up in an environment where you get humiliation and/or poo poo hits the fan with no input or responsibility on your part, it doesn't really encourage you to reflect on yourself, it encourages you to see that poo poo as normal life.

Like, dude's a heinous centrist, but it's not that big a surprise that someone raised by lovely people in a lovely environment turned out to be lovely. It's a pretty common outcome, which is why abuse continues to happen.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Destiny has also argued against and often broken down the lovely argumentation tactics of Crowder or Shapiro so he is providing something similar to what Shaun does, in a way.

He also tends to debate some of the less graceful debaters the anti-sjw crowd has to offer, so he's not exactly up against seasoned veterans who can easily undermine him and make him look bad. That and he's pretty quick on his feet when it comes to arguing, and doesn't let his opponents always get away with bad faith argumentation, so he doesn't suffers less than a well-meaning but too charitable liberal who gets talked over by an aggressive chud.
Finally since he used to be pretty toxic himself he clearly has some endurance when it comes to people freaking out at him, so he keeps going when they make complete asses out of themselves, where most people would probably walk away to not have to deal with that poo poo.

I don't think it's useful or wise for everyone to try and emulate what he does, but he's very clearly somebody who breadcrumbs impressionable viewers away from alt-right shits by making them lose face and exposing that their lovely "rational" song and dance is just self-congratulatory bullshit.

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 5, 2019

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

ArfJason posted:

"did you know destiny is a woman's name? Did you know destiny is a woman's name"

make it stop

Make it stop?

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
A lot of people are criticising Destiny's videos for being endlessly circular because the people he debates are forcing it to, but I don't think there's anyone here who's part of his actual intended audience. Destiny's videos are for the audience of the people he debates. Anyone who agrees with Destiny will find the videos infuriating, because he's trying to pull back the curtain for the people who don't, by highlighting the inanity and irrationality of the alt-right and the "rationalists".

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
Watching a debate on youtube seems sorta pointless. You have a debate when you have ideas worth debating. Destiny isn't going to change his mind and most of the people he debates seem to be clearly handicapped by their love of shittiness.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

destiny has actually moved further and further to left as a consequence of having to deal with these morons.

https://twitter.com/ModalSevenths/status/1113984255988621312

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gee, I almost want to throw Destiny at Ethan Van Sciver.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

pr0p posted:

Watching a debate on youtube seems sorta pointless. You have a debate when you have ideas worth debating. Destiny isn't going to change his mind and most of the people he debates seem to be clearly handicapped by their love of shittiness.

The people involved are the same kind of people that think yelling "DEBATE ME!" at someone in comments is a good debate opening, so I think it's pretty clear that they're working with a different definition and style of debate. (Probably one more synonymous with "shouting match" or "slapfight.")

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/thetomska/status/1114551976325451776?s=19

In which a YouTuber realises how bad early YouTube fanbases can be

((It's a bad joke as you need context to even know he's not being lovely, but even still ))

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Who is he mocking? I lack context and it just reads like TomSka is being a dick in which case that's sad.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

Who is he mocking? I lack context and it just reads like TomSka is being a dick in which case that's sad.
Basically the joke is taking the standard "I identify as an attack helicopter" but applying it to something actually reasonable and non-absurd. It's not ill-will, just too many layers of irony deep.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Sorta reads like trying to roll with it going "okay sure you are a helicopter, now respect me as well and call me by my preferred pronouns" gone wrong.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://twitter.com/thetomska/status/1114555232569237504?s=19

He was trying to make a joke at piers Morgan apparently, but yeah it's really hard to read without a lot of context and half the replies were awful attack helicopter jokes

Also ruining my mentions when I said his joke read badly and made me uncomfortable

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah, it wasn't workshopped sharply enough so it came off as lovely. The joke is like someone just discovering pronouns and going 'well maybe I'll be a 'male' and have people refer to me as Sir/pardner/buckaroo/ and Skipper then!' but this is hellworld and there's no way to make that come off as a joke instead of just being mean-spirited now.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Seems like the sort of joke that would be fine when told among a group of friends who can infer what you intended based on their knowledge of what kind of person you are, but not so fine when broadcast among strangers.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So what I'm getting is that this is the mother fucker who enforces speed limit by aircraft

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ariong posted:

Seems like the sort of joke that would be fine when told among a group of friends who can infer what you intended based on their knowledge of what kind of person you are, but not so fine when broadcast among strangers.

yea it's a solid joke when you can see it's a direct counter to 'lol attack copter' shitheads but boy is it bad without that and maybe that means it shouldn't be a tweet.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Ariong posted:

The downfall of many jokes on social media.

People forget that it's basically Hyde Park, not a secluded meeting room.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ariong posted:

I mean, I got his point right away, that it was a twist to the dumb "i identify as a nuclear submarine" jokes from the alt rightosphere, the meaning being "using correct pronouns isn't that hard, fuckfaces". But then again, I also knew about the original "joke" and was willing to give the dude the benefit of the doubt

Unfortunately twitter is an outrage machine fueled by hot takes and dumb slap fights, so it was the entirely wrong medium to post that on

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

McCloud posted:

I mean, I got his point right away, that it was a twist to the dumb "i identify as a nuclear submarine" jokes from the alt rightosphere, the meaning being "using correct pronouns isn't that hard, fuckfaces". But then again, I also knew about the original "joke" and was willing to give the dude the benefit of the doubt

Unfortunately twitter is an outrage machine fueled by hot takes and dumb slap fights, so it was the entirely wrong medium to post that on

It took me a couple of reads to get it; I'm so used to seeing that formula as some kind of lovely take that I had trouble shifting my brain out of "For Christ's sake, not this poo poo again!" mode.

It's really just a joke that requires the context of "this person isn't the kind of guy who's going to bust out chud takes," and that's not a context quickly available on twitter.

Good joke, bad venue for it.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Puppy Time posted:

It took me a couple of reads to get it; I'm so used to seeing that formula as some kind of lovely take that I had trouble shifting my brain out of "For Christ's sake, not this poo poo again!" mode.

It's really just a joke that requires the context of "this person isn't the kind of guy who's going to bust out chud takes," and that's not a context quickly available on twitter.

Good joke, bad venue for it.
Yeah, on second pass it's the rug pull on "thought I was being a chud but I wasn't", kinda like this Simspons joke for when they were going to Japan:

Homer Simpson : If we want to see Japanese people, we can just go to the zoo.
Marge Simpson : -mortified- Homer!
Homer Simpson : What? The guy who washes the elephants is Japanese... his name is Takashi... he's in my book club.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

New Jenny vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXNwk4fHDOo

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RLM has their Shazam! video. They liked it, so now I guess they're not paid Marvel shills anymore.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm actually genuinely looking more forward to seeing Shazam! this week than I am Endgame later in the month

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

New Nick Knacks for ya' on Mr. Wizard's World, an 80s revival of a 50s childrens science show that inspired both Bill Nye and Beakman's World.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Jim Sterling talks about the Kotaku article regarding BioWare. The "skip intro" bit made me giggle.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

RLM has their Shazam! video. They liked it, so now I guess they're not paid Marvel shills anymore.

Wait this wasn't the movie with Shaquille O'Neal being a genie?

drat, was hoping for Rich to hunger for that juicy Shaq meat. I gotta take my nephew out to see this

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like everyone on the internet has made that joke.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

I'm actually genuinely looking more forward to seeing Shazam! this week than I am Endgame later in the month

same. gonna lol at all the tweets about crying about the end of endgame.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

i made it about half way through and then stopped around when mike lamented how "no one will say finally there's a hero for white kids to look up to" which felt like a joke until he then started going on about the foster home's multiculturalism

like loving really

i think rlm's content just isn't for me anymore

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Leal posted:

Wait this wasn't the movie with Shaquille O'Neal being a genie?

No, this was the movie with Sinbad being a genie.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Do not even ask posted:

i made it about half way through and then stopped around when mike lamented how "no one will say finally there's a hero for white kids to look up to" which felt like a joke until he then started going on about the foster home's multiculturalism

like loving really

i think rlm's content just isn't for me anymore

It was a joke. I mean, fine, whatever, stop watching them if you're that much on chud watch, but they've been cynical about woke representation in movies for a long time now but kind of more offensive in the past, and now they're actively mocking right wing movie reviewers as well and not just assuming their audience will understand what used to be a basically understood viewpoint. I don't think you've really been watching RLM for that long if this is the worst thing they've done.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

i'm just so loving tired of this poo poo man, especially with how politics are going here in canada

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
complaining about multiculturalism in basically any way is a far-right dogwhistle in 2019. I don't know the content of the RLM crew's hearts but they should loving know better than to say anything a white nationalist might agree with. RLM materially profits from growing their audience and every alt-right and alt-lite shithead who watches brings in the YouTube pennies, and maybe that's why the RLM crew refuses to be responsible with that platform.

They're either personally racist or okay with profiting from racism. RLM can gently caress off.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
if i hear a single unkind word said about The Burger King Kids Club so help me god i will pop out your eyes

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean he says immediately after that he wishes they gave the kids more to do or let them explore the characters a little rather than them just being one note props.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Bonaventure posted:

if i hear a single unkind word said about The Burger King Kids Club so help me god i will pop out your eyes

I'm so goddamn tired of this bullshit equivocating. Yes, capitalism rots away at everything and will exploit "woke" causes. But unless you're very careful and explicit, when you discuss the ways representation is, indeed, abused by mass media, you end up talking out of both sides of your mouth. Non-racists hear the critique of capitalism, but racists hear a critique of diversity. It is a moral responsibility to give racists no shelter in your words.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
maybe i'm misremembering the video, but didn't they spend 15 minutes in tfa saying how black representation isn't necessary because there's an ad with a black kid playing with a luke toy? you could argue "it's plinkett intentionally being terrible" but it still aligns with chud talking points and validates them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

oh good i'm glad it's time for another 'rlm are secretly mega-nazis' derail, it totally isn't tedious as gently caress bullshit