Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Beamed posted:

i mean your high school could probably hand out forums accounts for free if it was rich enough for programming courses lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

gonadic io posted:

Shipping an electron/react native desktop app running inside a js docker implementation running in another electron/react native desktop app on OSX

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

recently ive been spending 30%+ of my time just handholding people through the most basic poo poo and it's driving me mad. for example just had this wonderful exchange:

"i cant get it to work when i publish to the web server"

"ok well it works for me in debug with no changes to the checked out code so what does that tell you?"

"......"

jfc use your brains people, if it works in one enviroment and not another could it be a difference between the environments????

This is what Docker is for.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Beamed posted:

who the hell's high school had programming courses

vb6, perl, pascal, C++

in that order

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

ratbert90 posted:

This is what Docker is for.

they aren't even using the preconfigured publish profiles from vs, or reading the documentation that I wrote that lists all the servers and iis locations. Instead they've dragged and dropped the app manually onto the wrong loving server and just sat there going "durrr" when it didn't work

edit: this sort of thing pisses me off so much, we have alleged developers that can't even remotely conceive of how to solve a problem unless it is spelled out step by step. and nobody puts an iota of thought into what they're doing.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 8, 2019

simble
May 11, 2004

pls don’t doxx my place of business

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

they aren't even using the preconfigured publish profiles from vs, or reading the documentation that I wrote that lists all the servers and iis locations. Instead they've dragged and dropped the app manually onto the wrong loving server and just sat there going "durrr" when it didn't work

edit: this sort of thing pisses me off so much, we have alleged developers that can't even remotely conceive of how to solve a problem unless it is spelled out step by step. and nobody puts an iota of thought into what they're doing.

I configured Jenkins here to build a branch, create the app server from scratch, deploy their code and start up the App server for them. All they need to do is enter the database that want to use for their server. Still this is too much for people and they get confused.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

what is the programming equivalent of rolling coal?

edit: im going to throw in "mongo" as a starter for 10

I once worked on an Eclipse RCP application that downloaded an updated version of itself when it started.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Aramoro posted:

I configured Jenkins here to build a branch, create the app server from scratch, deploy their code and start up the App server for them. All they need to do is enter the database that want to use for their server. Still this is too much for people and they get confused.

I was thinking of doing this myself but figured the same thing would happen so just stared at a wall for 20 minutes then went for a coffee instead

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

what is the programming equivalent of rolling coal?

edit: im going to throw in "mongo" as a starter for 10

bitcoin

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i get to pick all the tech for a brand new webapp! :toot:

i have to pick all the tech for a brand new webapp :ohdear:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

HoboMan posted:

i get to pick all the tech for a brand new webapp! :toot:

i have to pick all the tech for a brand new webapp :ohdear:

just remember: whatever you choose, it's wrong.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
be sure to avoid picking anything boring (i.e. stable) like Angular and choose something that involves tons of options and development time wiring everything together

it's much more fun than actually writing your boring crud screens

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

maybe just avoid angular though??

do it all in c# mvc op, it owns

edit: if you wanna gently caress poo poo up use Blazor or whatever that nuts new stack is

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Stable like angular, which is 8 years old and at its 7th non backwards compatible release

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Sagacity posted:

be sure to avoid picking anything boring (i.e. stable) like Angular and choose something that involves tons of options and development time wiring everything together

it's much more fun than actually writing your boring crud screens

https://github.com/larrytheliquid/Lemmachine

Lemmachine stands out from the dynamically typed Webmachine by being written in dependently typed Agda. The goal of the project is to show the advantages gained from compositional testing by taking advantage of proofs being inherently compositional. See proofs for examples of universally quantified proofs (tests over all possible input values) written against the default resource, which does not override any hooks.

When a user implements their own resource, they can write simple lemmas ("unit tests") against the resource's hooks, but then literally reuse those lemmas to write more complex proofs ("integration tests"). For examples see some reuse of lemmas in proofs.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

asp.net is the only way to do web "development"

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Stable like angular, which is 8 years old and at its 7th non backwards compatible release
"oh no, I need to tweak a few imports" vs "here's version 5 of the react router, which is completely different but we finally nailed it you guys"

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

gonadic io posted:

Lemmachine stands out from the dynamically typed Webmachine by being written in dependently typed Agda. The goal of the project is to show the advantages gained from compositional testing by taking advantage of proofs being inherently compositional. See proofs for examples of universally quantified proofs (tests over all possible input values) written against the default resource, which does not override any hooks.
well, at least it's stable since 2010

written in a language that compiles to haskell though, i'm sure it has no visible side-effects

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Sagacity posted:

"oh no, I need to tweak a few imports" vs "here's version 5 of the react router, which is completely different but we finally nailed it you guys"

None of them are good, angular is the worst

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
i never said it was good, just stable

nothing related to javascript can ever be good, sorry if this wasn't clear!

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Sagacity posted:

written in a language that compiles to haskell though, i'm sure it has no visible side-effects

no it uses monads for those

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Zlodo posted:

no it uses monads for those

Monadic...I/O?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Has anybody made the joke that the sound system Linux uses must be written in Haskell because it has no audible side-effects?

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

this is very tempting, but i also have the chance to include angular on my resume.

literally every interviewer: "i see you have react experience, and that's great we are looking for that, but do you have any angular experience as well?"
me: "no"
them: *clearly disappointed* "hmmmm"

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I've heard that angular is not a well rounded framework

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
So I might be headed to a fuckoff contract revolving around being a JIRA janitor for the next six months because life sucks and god is dead etc etc etc

Seeing as I've been trying to segue into frontend for a few years and my contracting company has absolutely no interest in placing me in frontend anything, I'm just gonna teach myself.

I'm assuming I want to be mediocre at Javascript/Typescript, MVC framework stuff, and one of Angular/React/Razor for starters? Any other "you need to know this" technologies?

Also I would really like to read something on UX design theory, like why we arrange things in certain ways, pick certain colors, size elements the way they are, etc. Like beyond "this is your environment standard". Kind of like that book "the design of everyday things" but for software interfaces. Anyone know of something like that?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Zlodo posted:

I've heard that angular is not a well rounded framework

ayyy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

HoboMan posted:

this is very tempting, but i also have the chance to include angular on my resume.

literally every interviewer: "i see you have react experience, and that's great we are looking for that, but do you have any angular experience as well?"

its definitely marketable if you want to get a job maintaining angular apps.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"We can't find people who want to deal with Angular's godawful bullshit"

The pay will also be poo poo BTW, nobody works on angular crap because they want to

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

HoboMan posted:

sounds like they're planning a migration!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

sounds like they're planning a migration!

to angular

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
what are some things I can do if my work project is not technically interesting in any way but I want to add bullet points to my resume? for the purposes of this question assume it’s got worst-case-scenario coding for a react SPA and .net webapi backend

there are some dogshit slow pages I can make faster on the backend (bad EF n+1 queries) and front end (unnecessary React stuff), so there’s “improved page load speed for users by XX% on ___ page”.

I’ve already led more subjective efforts since I joined the team like separating out presentation from logic in components, reusing components instead of copy pasting markup every time, putting in a semblance of CSS patterns and other stuff, but stuff with numbers seems like it’d be more impressive

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
can I use ‘deleted X-hundred lines of lovely code’?

e oops meant to post in the interview thread but this works too I guess

Flat Daddy fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 8, 2019

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Flat Daddy posted:

can I use ‘deleted X-hundred lines of lovely code’?

*refactored a large legacy codebase

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

my new job will pay for it so can anyone recommend a tutorial service?

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
wikihow

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i love wikihow!

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i prefer wikihow!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

animist posted:

*refactored a large legacy codebase

it's this.

also "provided guidance to other team members on best practice" aka calling them all idiot hellfuckers for not using your preferred style of indenting or just being flat out fuckups.

that's how i describe my loudly shouting "for fucks' sake!" in the office anyway v:v:v