Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Vince MechMahon posted:

Did you think Teenage Dirtbags was just Gary doing a voice?

I have not yet listened to that show. There’s so much content! I still need to finish File Under Water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I have not yet listened to that show. There’s so much content! I still need to finish File Under Water.

Teenage Dirtbags is the secret best show on the network.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
If people don’t want to slog through Bioshock: Infinite themselves, Bobbin Threadbare did an excellent video lp with fantastic videos essays about the themes and topics brought up by the game.

https://lparchive.org/Bioshock-Infinite-(by-Bobbin-Threadbare)/

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Re: the most recent WOFF Dispatch- I'm right there with Gary on games being a solitary experience, even though I did grow up with N64 (and later GameCube) multiplayer. It's more that I never owned a console with a robust online experience until I guess the 3DS, and I only recently got into PC gaming to the point where I'd be playing games with large online components. I never got on the ground floor with competitive online multiplayer and feel like it's passed me by, though I have had fun doing co-op multiplayer in stuff like Monster Hunter even with randos. Another big part of it is that I have few friends who play video games anymore, at least that I'm aware of. And I just like having solo experiences that I can do at my own pace, rather than having to schedule gaming time with others :shrug:

Also, I don't know if anyone else has suggested this to you guys, but if you want to do a roguelike for WOFF you should definitely do FTL. A lot of the interesting things in that game are mechanical so you can talk a lot of how the game works without needing to see specific content in a given run. Even then, a winning run of that game is no more than an hour so you could get in a few ahead of the show. I actually had to go back through the WOFF feed to make sure you hadn't already done it...

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Papers Please is a great WOFF. I liked the idea they are policing the Doug Funnie border.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

There was an episode of Abject Suffering where Gary said that Kole had tiny hands. I remember the phrase "You've got these two little limp bags". Which episode was that?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Listened to MIMP on Rat People, now I hope the Patreon includes a stretch goal where Kole is sent into a sewer. Not as punishment, but as reward.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Just listened to the Sekiro episode. I'm 100% with Gary on the boss runs thing. Just put a loving bonfire right outside the boss door forever, please.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Listened to the Sekiro first impressions pod. At the risk of sounding like a little fucker, I hope the boys remember to try out the prosthetic tools to help them with boss fights. That's where the "killing ingeniously" part comes into play imo. They aren't like megaman style hard counters but they can give you a real edge especially against some of the most dangerous moves and they are fairly logical in their uses. Even if its just a simple tactic like throwing some firecrackers to give you time to heal they made a big difference to me.

I do think this is gonna be a DS3 style season though and I don't think they are going to come away liking the game overall but I liked the DS3 season (and I like DS3) so I'm still looking forward to it.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Eh, for me so far, it feels like it's a lot more coherent and overall better than DS3. I think the tweaks we'll have mostly concern the early game difficulty ramp, which I really do think is a serious issue. After that, when it smooths out, it really sings. The biggest bugaboo for me right now is the story/narrative which is such a straight putt. It'll be a weird season of the show but I don't think it'll be like DS3.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I feel like the parts that are good are from at their best, and the parts that aren't are them at their worst. Multiphase boss fights with lovely one hit kill attacks and poison swamps.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i want to hear their opinions about the monkey boss and its ranged attack

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
RE: the latest WOFF Dispatch- the Contrapoints on incels you mentioned is worth watching, if only because it uses the criminally underrated Hebrides Overture as one of its tracks-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD2briZ6fB0

Also this is not gamer-specific, but I think about this image every now and then and your talk on toxic gaming culture reminded me of. Note the year that this was drawn!

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

RottenK posted:

i want to hear their opinions about the monkey boss and its ranged attack

That whole fight, and the area after roofboss 2, were the two parts that felt exquisitely From to me so far.

That boss fight you mentioned is actually one of my favorites in the game, and later iteration on it is good too. I'm anticipating people telling me I hate this game for like a year, even though I actually love most of it and just think some bosses, and the early game, are too tough.

Update: I am now on the last boss and I think some of the bosses and the early game is too tough, and the last boss is a cataclysmic level act of violence that should never have been perpetrated by man.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 4, 2019

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Woffle posted:

That whole fight, and the area after roofboss 2, were the two parts that felt exquisitely From to me so far.

That boss fight you mentioned is actually one of my favorites in the game, and later iteration on it is good too. I'm anticipating people telling me I hate this game for like a year, even though I actually love most of it and just think some bosses, and the early game, are too tough.

Update: I am now on the last boss and I think some of the bosses and the early game is too tough, and the last boss is a cataclysmic level act of violence that should never have been perpetrated by man.

I feel like I'm going to listen to this season and think you're going too easy on the game, from this post. I just stopped playing after 8 hours because the frustration wasn't balancing out the fun, which I've never done with a From game before.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Comparatively, we're not very easy on it. We recorded the first "real" episode today and there's a pretty lengthy part where we discuss the difficulty and the conversation around it.

The reason I don't dislike it holistically is it has a few areas I truly love, and i think the level portions are capital g Great. People are saying "It's basically a boss rush, just run to the bosses" and to me, it's just not what's interesting or good about it. The things that are cool I really love.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Woffle posted:

Comparatively, we're not very easy on it. We recorded the first "real" episode today and there's a pretty lengthy part where we discuss the difficulty and the conversation around it.

The reason I don't dislike it holistically is it has a few areas I truly love, and i think the level portions are capital g Great. People are saying "It's basically a boss rush, just run to the bosses" and to me, it's just not what's interesting or good about it. The things that are cool I really love.

I'd love it to be the exact opposite of that. Remove all bosses and let me figure out these cool stealth sections.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, that's definitely a perspective brought on by the weird divided nature of the game. If the bosses can't be tuned to be a little more generous, I'd love for them to be bypassable other than brute force too.

Anywho, the first real episode is out. We talk about all of this!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Is BFC part of the Patreon sub?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yes!

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I'm getting the same notice in Chrome. Looks like your SSL certificate is expired. Also, it looks like Duckfeed.tv doesn't have an SSL cert at all.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I think I fixed it.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
I'm not getting the warning anymore, at least.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

It was a pleasant surprise to find how good the live WOFFs are, both hosts sound comfortable and the humor works well. I wouldn’t think the show’s format would work in front of an audience but it definitely does.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Today's Abject Suffering reminds me why I was convinced, for the longest time when I first started listening that they just made up these games and it was some weird improv podcast.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...

Beartaco posted:

Today's Abject Suffering reminds me why I was convinced, for the longest time when I first started listening that they just made up these games and it was some weird improv podcast.

Not a bad idea for a podcast tbh.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Vigilantly Vigorous posted:

Not a bad idea for a podcast tbh.

They actually went and did it that one time for Gary's Fallout parody. That was a fantastic episode and they totally had me convinced for a good chunk of it!

I had a very similar experience with the Classics of Game youtube channel, I thought they just made all of them up until I saw a game that I actually recognised and I was like "Wait, they're all real???"

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 9, 2019

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

We did it for Souls of Darkness, too. It’s on the Bonfireside Chat feed a few years back.

Making up details about a game on the fly is fun. It felt weirdly similar to a regular episode.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Beartaco posted:

I had a very similar experience with the Classics of Game youtube channel, I thought they just made all of them up until I saw a game that I actually recognised and I was like "Wait, they're all real???"

I straight up refuse to believe this

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Bug Squash posted:

I straight up refuse to believe this

I mean it's all Net Yaroze games right? It wasn't until I got to this one, which I actually had on a demo disc when I was a kid that I realised they were real. They're all so bizarre it just made more sense that some dude with Blender and a youtube channel was having some fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIGlh0xRuCY

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I got a chuckle from Kole wanting to be a Calendar Man henchman, only because he seems the most organized.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I got a chuckle from Kole wanting to be a Calendar Man henchman, only because he seems the most organized.

I laughed but I also agreed

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Beartaco posted:

I mean it's all Net Yaroze games right? It wasn't until I got to this one, which I actually had on a demo disc when I was a kid that I realised they were real. They're all so bizarre it just made more sense that some dude with Blender and a youtube channel was having some fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIGlh0xRuCY

I had never heard of Net Yaroze, and I'm slightly sad to be robbed of the image I had of a weird Beginners Guide style artist putting out these strange love letters to weird nineties era game glitches.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Whoa I never expected Mars Hill church to be mentioned on the network (ES 69 Noah’s Ark). When I was younger and dumber I used to go to that awful place. It imploded after revelations including rigging the New York Times bestseller list, abusive management, and the lead pastor secretly paying his family nearly a million a year.

After years of the lead pastor trying to present a hyper masculine image, when problems began to mount he immediately gave up and left for Arizona (leaving thousands of followers to figure it out) and the whole rotten place was gone in a few months.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Did the full Hitman ep get uploaded to the public feed or are the generalities legit 3 hours? Not complaining either way

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

MMF Freeway posted:

Did the full Hitman ep get uploaded to the public feed or are the generalities legit 3 hours? Not complaining either way

It's full length, but silence after the generalities portion is done.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

MMF Freeway posted:

There's almost 2 hours of dead air tacked on.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

That’s not right. I’ll fix that.

Edit: It's fixed. Sorry about everyone's phone storage.

Song For The Deaf fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Fairly certain that's my bad, actually. Just adding to the apology shower. Everyone bask in our collective sorries!