Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

In Training posted:

I wish Julia's magic 4 wasn't impossible to confirm off of for normal gamers

As an old gently caress with bad reactions, listen for the sound moreso than looking for the animation of the counterhit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
What are everyones favorite stages? I think its a shame that there aren't more as it doesn't seem that hard of a thing to develop and they are so key to the game. Also It's weird how most stages are 0 breaks 1 break or like 4, and the fact that only one stage has floor breaks. I feel like the missed an opportunity in not adding adding like at least two more stages with 1 or more floor breaks. Anyways my top three are-

1- G corp Helipad night- It's the coolest stage geometry wise imo. It's got an odd shape, its close quarters and it has two wall breaks that are actually very prominent. With the music/promiximity/walls its the most intense stage to fight on imo.

2- Howard Estate - This stage is simply the coolest looking by far. It also has awesome music. Most t7 music is pretty bad imo but this reminds me of an oldschool street fighter stage with the sound and music in a good way.

3- Devils pit - I like the chill music and the transition from walled to walless stage dynamic for the final rounds.

Anyways its a bummer- T7 absolutely nails the gameplay and characters but I feel they're dropping the ball on easy content. Adding costumes and charging a couple bucks for it and then using some of that money to provide free stages to the community to keep things fresh seems like a win win to keep people interested.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Seltzer posted:

1- G corp Helipad night- It's the coolest stage geometry wise imo. It's got an odd shape, its close quarters and it has two wall breaks that are actually very prominent. With the music/promiximity/walls its the most intense stage to fight on imo.

Any excuse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V5_b_1v2MM

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

whered you get this video of me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Howard estate is definitely my fave, especially since it has the most hosed Up combo potential. I forget who it was but at that Saudi Invitational over the weekend a Julia player did a 95% CH combo with rage

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Howard estate is the coolest visually, and has the best music.

Mishima dojo is gorgeous as well, and the most 'Tekken' stage

Abandoned temple is incredibly epic and the tune slaps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUVsd-pIbGQ

Infinite Azure 2, infinite stages suck, but it's extremely pretty and chill, best training mode stage

Really wish they'd bring back the GOAT stage though, Moonlit Wilderness

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Apr 1, 2019

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Spuckuk posted:

Really wish they'd bring back the GOAT stage though, Hidden Retreat

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Spuckuk posted:

Really wish they'd bring back the GOAT stage though, Hidden Retreat

It's funny 'cause it's sheep.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I got bounced from usurper back to vindicator last night. It feels like late yellows id where core tekken fundamentals are really put to the test. And I've been found lacking.

I've mentioned this before, but safe jab pressure is tough to stop in general at my level of play, especially as armor king. I don't really feel like I have a good panic or escape option if someone is constantly slamming themselves up into range zero and pressuring. I try to backdash to create whiffs but it most of the time ends with them still connecting with my block and me eventually getting pushed to the wall. It feels like any time I try to respond with a jab or df1 it's either getting evaded or I'm getting counter hit. Small frame game is tough stuff.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

CascadeBeta posted:

I got bounced from usurper back to vindicator last night. It feels like late yellows id where core tekken fundamentals are really put to the test. And I've been found lacking.

I've mentioned this before, but safe jab pressure is tough to stop in general at my level of play, especially as armor king. I don't really feel like I have a good panic or escape option if someone is constantly slamming themselves up into range zero and pressuring. I try to backdash to create whiffs but it most of the time ends with them still connecting with my block and me eventually getting pushed to the wall. It feels like any time I try to respond with a jab or df1 it's either getting evaded or I'm getting counter hit. Small frame game is tough stuff.

Stuff that's blown me up around that level for overusing something like a 1-2 jab string immediately followed by another 1-2: 1) Duck, while rising launcher, 2) Sidestep hopkick, 3) If they have a good 12f CH button/move

I feel ya though, it's definitely one of those walls you can hit where ya have to grind it out in the lab some to get used to your options and hopefully get some chances to grind out some rematches against folks who play like that. Sometimes you can play brave to try and dodge/duck/stuff them, and sometimes you can just stand your ground with the blocks and backdashes until they get frustrated and start doing dumb poo poo and/or you can get some hard reads from their repetition. Oh single jabs are cool too for trying to take your turn back.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

lol. Going for a promo vs a good player on that map is the most stressful poo poo.

Speaking of promos, I'm super happy about this.

Downed bitchass mishima in the background

I had to fight two different/really good eddys and negans lows are not good- also some legit wavedashing Mishimas. I'm way ahead of where I thought I'd be in just under two months. Tekken is a very rewarding game. I planned on being in the Green grinder for quite awhile but it looks like I'll be in the Yellow grinder instead!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

His DB4 is real nice, plus on hit, very few characters can launch it on block.

FC df+2 as well

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lei has easily become among one of my favorite characters in all fighting games.

He's SO fun to play.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

His DB4 is real nice, plus on hit, very few characters can launch it on block.

FC df+2 as well

fc df 2 is good? I wish there was like a legit negan advanced tutorial out there, because hes so new they're all "TOP 15 MOVES!" and it's just established players mumbling "this is his 15 frame punish" etc etc. Some of the "top 15" aren't top 15 because every youtuber rushed over eachother to put out videos first. I wish there was somehting like blastedsalamis longform guides/or even his 20 min ones.

Jack Trades posted:

Lei has easily become among one of my favorite characters in all fighting games.

He's SO fun to play.

Yea Lei is super fun and I even dabbled with the idea of maining him but he has problems. Mainly his core tools are just ok/weak and you have to work a lot to get damage and really be on your game all match. That wouldn't be that big of an ask except for the fact his move list is ridiculous. I know a bunch is fluff but you do want to be aware of all the stances and what they do and transitions to get to them and it's a whole loving lot to take in. He's kinda of like eddy but with 8 times the options to choose from

Just take a look at this spreadsheet lol
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bW2OaFZmDBhHtX3uqK2vRJu0AfTEBMFqgV30Tg61Te8/edit#gid=1835380816

Anyways I'm going to stay with Negan for awhile more but man there are so many fun characters in this game I'm always wanting to pick up a new one and hit ranked. I thought about using geese and while I've got like ~25 wins in player matches I am a huge fraud with him. I still don't really get the max meter apart from special moves at 3 and I haven't bothered to learn because QC movements are my weakness (this is whats really stopping me from giving him a real run). Even though I hate playing against it, and wouldn't want a cast full of the options, I do like the unique spacing that 2d characters provide with projectiles. You can lay traps with them even if they aren't hitting, it's super fun.

I'm trying to think who I wanna pick up next. I hosed around with Asuka in training mode and holy poo poo- her tool set is crazy and the execution is easy. Part of me wants to try Marduk again because he's the character I failed with the hardest that I tried to take online in player matches. Another darker part wants to try and learn eddy because he is annoying as gently caress but somehow I respect his playstyle. Miguel, kuma, and lars in tanahashi gear are other characters I think about using but probably won't touch. Lars is too sad and bear hitboxes would probably drive me crazy.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Seltzer posted:

Yea Lei is super fun and I even dabbled with the idea of maining him but he has problems. Mainly his core tools are just ok/weak and you have to work a lot to get damage and really be on your game all match. That wouldn't be that big of an ask except for the fact his move list is ridiculous. I know a bunch is fluff but you do want to be aware of all the stances and what they do and transitions to get to them and it's a whole loving lot to take in. He's kinda of like eddy but with 8 times the options to choose from

Just take a look at this spreadsheet lol
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bW2OaFZmDBhHtX3uqK2vRJu0AfTEBMFqgV30Tg61Te8/edit#gid=1835380816

Yeah, Lei definitely requires quite a lot of work and creativity, since he has no mid-range tools and his frame data generally sucks rear end, but if you do put in the work then you're gonna be dancing around your opponent like an rear end in a top hat butterfly putting them into constant mixups.
It's great. :allears:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Seltzer posted:

fc df 2 is good? I wish there was like a legit negan advanced tutorial out there, because hes so new they're all "TOP 15 MOVES!" and it's just established players mumbling "this is his 15 frame punish" etc etc. Some of the "top 15" aren't top 15 because every youtuber rushed over eachother to put out videos first. I wish there was somehting like blastedsalamis longform guides/or even his 20 min ones.

http://rbnorway.org/negan-t7-frames/ will be handy if you've not seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8MxO_WFiBA is a good, if long tutorial that wasn't rushed

A plus on block, only launch punishable by 2-3 characters low, high crushing low is always gonna be a good tool.

The Negan discord is a better resource than me, but I'll say that b+1+2, and 2+3 are really useful in my experience. His big problems (imo) are bad tracking, and lackluster counterhit tools

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

http://rbnorway.org/negan-t7-frames/ will be handy if you've not seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8MxO_WFiBA is a good, if long tutorial that wasn't rushed

A plus on block, only launch punishable by 2-3 characters low, high crushing low is always gonna be a good tool.

The Negan discord is a better resource than me, but I'll say that b+1+2, and 2+3 are really useful in my experience. His big problems (imo) are bad tracking, and lackluster counterhit tools

Thanks! I know most of Negan's + on block attacks and mix them in liberally, I just need to dive into frames a bit more in general. I actually think the game does a good job of letting you know via impact and graphics which frames are plus from the opponent and which frames are plus for you (and alternatively negative frames). I learned a lot just from "feel" I guess you could say. When you say the 2+3 is good do you mean after + frame move or by itself? I've only used it with a plus frame move (on block) preceding.

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, Lei definitely requires quite a lot of work and creativity, since he has no mid-range tools and his frame data generally sucks rear end, but if you do put in the work then you're gonna be dancing around your opponent like an rear end in a top hat butterfly putting them into constant mixups.
It's great. :allears:

I did some player matches with Lei last night cause of this post and after a few matches all I could think was "gently caress I want to learn this guy again now". Man I was just trying poo poo midmatch and he's so fun. Backflipping out of back turned, headbutting people, regaining health from a stance.... I think I might make an effort to get good enough with him to be an ok fun backup (actually learn a combo) but again, seems ridiculous to main.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 4, 2019

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Seltzer posted:

I did some player matches with Lei last night cause of this post and after a few matches all I could think was "gently caress I want to learn this guy again now". Man I was just trying poo poo midmatch and he's so fun. Backflipping out of back turned, headbutting people, regaining health from a stance.... I think I might make an effort to get good enough with him to be an ok fun backup (actually learn a combo) but again, seems ridiculous to main.

As a Lei main who participates in tourneys, I can tell its absurd to main him yet it feels so good to win matches by being an all around weirdo who jumps and lies down at the strangest times.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Gotta be honest i wish sidesteps and tracking/homing in tekken worked like in vf. Meaning it either works or it doesnt, there arent like degrees of tracking. if you get around something its 100% consistent. But i guess everything would be better if it worked like vf

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Gotta be honest i wish sidesteps and tracking/homing in tekken worked like in vf. Meaning it either works or it doesnt, there arent like degrees of tracking. if you get around something its 100% consistent. But i guess everything would be better if it worked like vf

If Tekken had the throw system and sidesteps from VF it would be my perfect game

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Yeah, the extreme ambiguity when it comes to the sidestep system makes it pretty difficult for new players to learn how to play the game, I think.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I've put a fuckload of hours into the Tekken series ever since Tekken 2 and I gotta be honest, the only time I ever use sidesteps is if someone has a cool move you can do out of a sidestep.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
For tekken 8 they should implement the sidestep system of VF, and also the throws and they should change the control system to KPB, and also the juggle system (imho something like vfs would be a good idea). And also for the guest characters of tekken 8 they should add the entire cast of VF, and instead of tekken 8 it should be called virtua fighter 6. jsut my 2 cents

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Y'know, I love Tekken but if that's what it takes to get VF6, agreed.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

CascadeBeta posted:

if ppl are just running up to you and jabbing ak has a secret god tier mid in d/f+4, works pretty well for keep away and only i12. iirc his is only -4 on block which is insane, oscar and dragunov have similar moves but theirs are -9 on block. its steppable/walkable but still pretty hard to deal with since it's so fast. also works gr8 for round ending.

besides bd and ss some other crap u can try is - b+1 is an i12 ch launcher but hits high, but it will stop a lot of jab string or d/f1 spam. b+2 is an okay mid for stopping pressure but its i15. it also has the stupid b+2,1,2 gimmick ch string but the last 2 hits high and a lot [?] of ppl should be ducking it by now. a lot of ppl try to ss/sw right against ak since that's his weaker side. df+2 works pretty well for stopping that, and if they're doing crap like jab ssr launcher they'll get ch'd and u get a combo. d/f2 is -12 but i've seen matches with jdcr playing ak and ppl aren't punishing it. you can also make it safe by going d/f 2,1 but that's a high ender. he also has his magic 4 but its a bit slow iirc maybe i13. his generic d+4 or whatever low poke is also very good for low crushing and if you're really feeling yourself you can try d/b4 or w/e the low ch launcher is, also on normal hit its easy to buffer a point blank shining wizard, pretty cool.

you can also get really good at wavedashing in ppl's face since that has a built in high crush AND re-orientates you to stepping/walking :jihad:.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I think I'm gonna use shaheen for awhile to get some fundamental tekken stuff down. Neither character i've mained so far has had an actual hopkick or magic 4 and I'm still not too solid on what those do (I have a vague idea). Also his slide mixup will be easy to abuse in green ranks where I'd start with him and that'll also get me better at fighting from p2 side.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Seltzer posted:

I think I'm gonna use shaheen for awhile to get some fundamental tekken stuff down. Neither character i've mained so far has had an actual hopkick or magic 4 and I'm still not too solid on what those do (I have a vague idea). Also his slide mixup will be easy to abuse in green ranks where I'd start with him and that'll also get me better at fighting from p2 side.

Basic usage is that hopkicks are good when you think the opponent will either duck or do a low. They lead to a full combo but they're usually only -12 or -13, so you don't get launched yourself if you're wrong. You usually use a magic 4 if you're at plus frames (even a small amount like +2), so if the opponent does any attack (besides a high crush) they'll get launched.

uninverted fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 9, 2019

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Seltzer posted:

I know hes a solid character, he just feels really hard to use comparatively. Are you on xbox?..... I'm assuming no

I am on the PC, fighting platform of kings.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

uninverted posted:

Basics usage is that hopkicks are good when you think the opponent will either duck or do a low. They lead to a full combo but they're usually only -12 or -13, so you don't get launched yourself if you're wrong. You usually use a magic 4 if you're at plus frames (even a small amount like +2), so if the opponent does any attack (besides a high crush) they'll get launched.

Yea I've got the concept down, but Steve and negan don't really have those tools so I wanna put it to use in game. I think real magic 4s are supposed to launch on ch and negans 4 is like 13 frames and does nothing, Shaheens is 11 and chs.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I would suggest Julia bc she has a good magic 4 and a OS hopkick that will always be safe enjoy

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Seltzer posted:

Yea I've got the concept down, but Steve and negan don't really have those tools so I wanna put it to use in game. I think real magic 4s are supposed to launch on ch and negans 4 is like 13 frames and does nothing, Shaheens is 11 and chs.

Magic 4 functions very similarly to Steve b+1.

Steve's is better of course, but the situations you want to use them in are more or less the same.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

In Training posted:

I would suggest Julia bc she has a good magic 4 and a OS hopkick that will always be safe enjoy

I hate her and think she is a cheap trash character lol. I hope she gets nerfed soon.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

She's epic.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

In Training posted:

She's epic.

She's no Steve

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Seltzer posted:

Steve has two of the best Ch tools in the game in b1 and df2. B1 is a magic 4 but just plain better.

He does lack afaat hopkick as such, but uf2 works if you have a hard read, it's just a bunch slower, you can use uf1 as well for lower risk lower reward

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Got Jack to green lady night with very little effort. That boy has got to be the most simple character in the game.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

mango sentinel posted:

Got Jack to green lady night with very little effort. That boy has got to be the most simple character in the game.

Con: dead rear end simple and pretty boring

Pro: he's a robot action figure with karate chop action.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

CascadeBeta posted:

Con: dead rear end simple and pretty boring

Pro: he's a robot action figure with karate chop action.

He's also got real weird costumes that change him into other robots or a rock man.

Armor King is way more fun but I think I'm learning a lot more with Jack.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Nice. The best characters to play in lower levels are ones that are high tier but no one uses because they are boring/weird (jack shaheen akuma). You get the advantage of the player not having match up knowledge while also using a good character. Jack is just too wack for me to use but keep at it if you like him. Speaking of, I wanted to like shaheen, but I had to pull the plug on that early. He's so boring. He is the saltine cracker of tekken. The most basic (but good) moveset in the cast and no flair moves, no interesting stances, nothing special. Legacy characters with basic archetypes are still fun because they have so many options, basic and new characters are just so plain. I said gently caress it and messed around with Eddy and hopped on ranked and whipped twice as much rear end despite Eddy being "worse". Even though Eddy is a bit difficult to use his transitions and movements have a logical flow and to them. I did much better than I expected. I might just join the darkside and make eddy my comain with negan. Eddys mixups are crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Still on Armor King. I'm going through this cycle where I play patiently and wait for my opponent to do something that's punishable, something predictable or flowcharty that leads into a b1/df2 counter hit, or whiffs and hit the dark upper/hop kick/f2, 1 off of it, and then after a while of doing that I fall back into my old impatient play style that gets me caught approaching or counter hit for being too greedy. I think I'm learning, but man it's a tough habit to break.