Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

I've not been keeping up with the thread so it may have already been posted but holy poo poo, I just noticed the coolest most absurd detail. If you go to a railway station and look at the timetable in first person it (obviously) lists the train arrival/departures. Most people would assume these were just random, but if you go wait on the platform the bloody things actually turn up and leave according to the schedule. 99% of players aren't ever going to notice that but rockstar made sure it was accurate. You can say what you want about those guys but goddamn is that a commitment to immersion.

You know who else made the trains run on time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

I've not been keeping up with the thread so it may have already been posted but holy poo poo, I just noticed the coolest most absurd detail. If you go to a railway station and look at the timetable in first person it (obviously) lists the train arrival/departures. Most people would assume these were just random, but if you go wait on the platform the bloody things actually turn up and leave according to the schedule. 99% of players aren't ever going to notice that but rockstar made sure it was accurate. You can say what you want about those guys but goddamn is that a commitment to immersion.

Can you get on the train legally at this point and automatically pay or something, or is it free and you just get to get on, or do you get gunned down

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Afaik you're fine to get on any trains wherever you find them for free, the guards only go hostile if you try to go into the restricted baggage+engine cars. You can't fast travel without buying a ticket though.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Think I'm gonna join an online game, kill the engineer and drive the train around backwards

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Reign Of Pain posted:

Think I'm gonna join an online game, kill the engineer and drive the train around backwards

God speed, reverse Casey Jones.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I finally gave in and wwnt full psycho on Strawberry Farm in online today, after months of attempted morality.

It was fun, but it seems like eveeyone only has 11 cents?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Yeah, looting corpses pays peanuts. Also last night I found a gang hideout I didn't know about, and by the time I killed the leader every single corpse had despawned before I could loot them :argh: That's a lot of potential corpses that could've had a treasure map on them!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Anyone have any tips for hunting wolves? I need those perfect pelts for crafting but I can barely ever seen to get any to spawn when in the places they're supposed to, and then they do it's to insta-aggro me which makes getting decent shots tricky. So far I've managed to get a single perfect pelt after hours of trying. I've never once seen any just chilling in the wild so bait hasn't been much use.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Go from Strawberry to the northwest forest where the Legendary Buck spawns, make a save just before you enter the forest. There's a wolf pack that randomly attacks you after entering that path, if they're nowhere to be seen reload your save and try again until you get the pelts you want.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also like most animals that want to kill you, Deadeye and aim for the head. Trying to fight them straight up just seems like an invitation for them to bite your hands until you throw your controller.

You don't have to get all of them either, typically the last one alive will run away when all the rest are dead.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

By chance is there anyone here who would be able to fire up a save or just so happens to be at a point where they can attempt the "Fatherhood for Beginners" mission in the epilogue, part one? This is the mission where you have to tire out a horse and then assist with a foal being born.

I'm experiencing an issue, and have found at least one other person who has it, where you cannot complete the task to birth the foal. It requires you to rotate the left stick where it will then vibrate and prompt you to grip the legs, but the prompt never activates and the task cannot be completed.

I'm hoping to get something conclusive one way or the other but don't really have any way else to check it myself. My suspicion is that it could be a bug introduced with the most recent patch, or maybe just a wonky controller (and the other person who can reproduce it also has a defective controller).

Edit: This was due to a defective controller after all.

Sand Monster fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 8, 2019

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Tercio posted:

rockstar is such an amazingly lazy multiplayer developer

i was right

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah, looting corpses pays peanuts. Also last night I found a gang hideout I didn't know about, and by the time I killed the leader every single corpse had despawned before I could loot them :argh: That's a lot of potential corpses that could've had a treasure map on them!

I always leave the gang leader alive until I've looted all the corpses. Try not to let them get too far away from you or they'll despawn that way too....it happens to me all the time when I'm hunting with the rolling block...kill something too far away and sometimes it just vanishes

ThomasPaine posted:

Anyone have any tips for hunting wolves? I need those perfect pelts for crafting but I can barely ever seen to get any to spawn when in the places they're supposed to, and then they do it's to insta-aggro me which makes getting decent shots tricky. So far I've managed to get a single perfect pelt after hours of trying. I've never once seen any just chilling in the wild so bait hasn't been much use.

Go up to Ambarino by the geysers...theres always a pack around it...fast travel to the wapiti res and go a little south on the road..IIRC I just use the bolt rifle to head shot them and ive gotten 3 star pelts

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/JoonasSuotamo/status/1112175165536903168

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Sand Monster posted:

By chance is there anyone here who would be able to fire up a save or just so happens to be at a point where they can attempt the "Fatherhood for Beginners" mission in the epilogue, part one? This is the mission where you have to tire out a horse and then assist with a foal being born.

I'm experiencing an issue, and have found at least one other person who has it, where you cannot complete the task to birth the foal. It requires you to rotate the left stick where it will then vibrate and prompt you to grip the legs, but the prompt never activates and the task cannot be completed.

I'm hoping to get something conclusive one way or the other but don't really have any way else to check it myself. My suspicion is that it could be a bug introduced with the most recent patch, or maybe just a wonky controller (and the other person who can reproduce it also has a defective controller).

When did the patch come out? I just got to this point in the game maybe a week ago and completed it no problem.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Sand Monster posted:

Anecdotal, but I did this two days ago without issue.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

clockworx posted:

Anecdotal, but I did this two days ago without issue.

Thanks for the confirmation. I found at least one other person with the same problem: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/200179-red-dead-redemption-2/77583212

I really can't figure out what it is. Maybe some combination of a bug and something with my save file? Oh well. Disappointing.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I love that there are two versions of the game—theres the version I play with my 6 year old, where I work on the ranch, go into town to watch shows, and ride out on weeklong hunting and fishing trips and see the countryside.

Then there’s the other game where I rob everyone on the train, dynamite stagecoaches and police stations, murder camps full of insane cannibals, and generally shoot people for not waving back at me when I say howdy.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I love that there are two versions of the game—theres the version I play with my 6 year old, where I work on the ranch, go into town to watch shows, and ride out on weeklong hunting and fishing trips and see the countryside.

Then there’s the other game where I rob everyone on the train, dynamite stagecoaches and police stations, murder camps full of insane cannibals, and generally shoot people for not waving back at me when I say howdy.

Howdy partner!
I said hello, Mister.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Bondematt posted:

Howdy partner!
I said hello, Mister.

It's more like, 'I said...H E L L O' makes me laugh every time.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I do this exact same thing with my six year old. I let him ride around on the horse, fish, and parkour in the countryside, while I sit there with him. When he goes to bed I am busy robbin' and murderin'. :clint:

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

It's more like, 'I said...H E L L O' makes me laugh every time.

I do this exact same thing with my six year old. I let him ride around on the horse, fish, and parkour in the countryside, while I sit there with him. When he goes to bed I am busy robbin' and murderin'. :clint:

"I don't understand, Dad. I had such high honor last time I played!"

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
My 2.5 year old saw me play once and now demands "horse game". Arthur now spends 100% of his time riding trains and buying corn. Only corn.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

And then you send Arthur to one of his confessions at camp. "It's like ahm two different people, Mary Beth!"

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

This page is so wholesome :3:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

R.L. Stine posted:

My 2.5 year old saw me play once and now demands "horse game". Arthur now spends 100% of his time riding trains and buying corn. Only corn.

Im imagining your arthur is looking chunky thanks to being corn fed.
Is anyone rocking a big boy arthur in their games?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Can Arthur get pellagra if you make him eat nothing but corn for too long

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They have comfy looking socks available to buy in RDO now. All they gotta do is add more PJ parts so I can get my "just woke up, threw on my hat and gunbelt then ran right into a gunfight" outfit put together.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Woody's Roundup in the streets, Blood Meridian in the sheets.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Still no concho pants? Boooo

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

every time I see a big RED DEAD ONLINE UPDATE roll across the Rockstar newswire and open it to find its them excitedly announcing yet another stupid Showdown mode nobody in the world wants I literally laugh out loud

it’s like their online team is developing the game inside a tomb of obsidian deep within the earth’s core

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Hey man you can buy socks now

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So if for some reason you play RDO and for some reason you want to gain exp and decide on grinding out the lovely competitive stuff. Always. Always leave the game if it's Most Wanted, especially if it's in Saint Denis. If you like wasting your time for the least amount of experience and money possible in any of these horrible modes, then stick around. Otherwise you're time would be better spent on more productive things. Like self-mutilation, watching paint dry, watching grass grow. Stuff like that.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
For the story missions in RDO. I know if you have good honor you get the good missions at the end and bad honor gets the bad ones. Then I assume everyone gets the same final mission. Once I complete the final mission can I do the other missions by just putting myself in standby for story missions or do I actually have to go and change my honor?

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Yep, they’ll come up eventually. That’s exactly how I did it.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

For the story missions in RDO. I know if you have good honor you get the good missions at the end and bad honor gets the bad ones. Then I assume everyone gets the same final mission. Once I complete the final mission can I do the other missions by just putting myself in standby for story missions or do I actually have to go and change my honor?

I am in chapter three, and I just cannot zero out my honor. My first play through I did high honor - and I maxed it out without really trying. I wasn't excessively greeting people, etc. This time - I murder everyone I see and make the bad decisions whenever I can and it still isn't zero. I wonder if there is a mechanism that stops you from achieving high/low honor until the last chapter or so.

I am 64 hours in and only on chapter three. I spend A LOT of time causing trouble.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They actually added something good to RDO - the new race mode is very good.

Tip: You don't actually have to be in first place to win the race. As long as you hit the target before anyone else does, it counts as passing the checkmark. So if you get the repeater or revolver you can snipe it from pretty far, even if you're behind in placement.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

I am in chapter three, and I just cannot zero out my honor. My first play through I did high honor - and I maxed it out without really trying. I wasn't excessively greeting people, etc. This time - I murder everyone I see and make the bad decisions whenever I can and it still isn't zero. I wonder if there is a mechanism that stops you from achieving high/low honor until the last chapter or so.

I am 64 hours in and only on chapter three. I spend A LOT of time causing trouble.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can't max out your honour meter - up or down - until chapter six.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
gently caress this game is beautiful visually. And oft gut punchingly hilarious when you gently caress up.

"Hosea was abandoned"

No poo poo, he hit the side of a bridge at full speed and was flung from his limp horse. gently caress that dead weight.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
Is the quest to get the fishing rod just a semi-random event or do I need to complete certain things in chapter 2 before it's offered to me? I want to fish, damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt
Apparently the rumor is that RDR2 for PC will be announced in a few weeks, and will be coming out via the Epic Games Launcher on July 9th.