Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SubG posted:

Off to work. Wait, forgot to disconnect the fridge.

Also the AC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

lifts cats over head posted:

Despite plenty of evidence to the contrary my wife is not ok with it being on while we're not home due to a concern something could go wrong.

SubG posted:

Off to work. Wait, forgot to disconnect the fridge water heater.

people leave slow cookers running unattended all the time. immersion sous vide devices seem even safer given that, you know, the hot bit is immersed in a bunch of water.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
We once cooked some sous vide prime rib for my in-laws. The thing is, they have a habit of disconnecting all appliances (mixers, coffee machines, etc.) when not in use. So naturally, they unplugged the sous vide circulator thinking it wasn't in use. :haw:

Thankfully, I noticed early enough that the water had barely gone 2 degrees under temp.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Sure, AC, heating and water are comparable to a random rear end 900w+ kitchen device. For a better suited comparison: Would you seriously leave your oven on when you go away for several hours?

You do you but I can see the woman's point.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Hopper posted:

Sure, AC, heating and water are comparable to a random rear end 900w+ kitchen device. For a better suited comparison: Would you seriously leave your oven on when you go away for several hours?

Actually I'd suggest the 900w+ kitchen device is sketchier to leave on than an oven. Like if your oven can't be unattended then you need to replace it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Would you even need to minimize the time in the danger zone if the entire bag has been pasteurized in the first cooking session?

e: Not that it isn't a good idea to do so anyway

taqueso fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 8, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hopper posted:

I leave my oven on and leave the house all the time. We had an oven in the 80s with timers exactly for that purpose.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Hopper posted:

Most s-v devices are a water pump and a heating element. If leaving those on, unattended, for a couple hours once in awhile freaks your poo poo out then save your sanity and never look into what aquarium owners do for literally years on end.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A heating element that is operating at a fraction of its maximum power for most of a cook, at that.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

SubG posted:

Most s-v devices are a water pump and a heating element. If leaving those on, unattended, for a couple hours once in awhile freaks your poo poo out then save your sanity and never look into what aquarium owners do for literally years on end.

They really are basically fancy aquarium heaters. Fact sheet on the Anova says it's got a lower end of 77f, which is actually about perfect for tropicals.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

A heating element that is operating at a fraction of its maximum power for most of a cook, at that.
Like a crock pot. Or rice cooker. Or Zojirushi water boiler.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Hopper posted:

Yes, I'm not very well going to sit around at home all day every time I want to bake some beans

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Relentless posted:

They really are basically fancy aquarium heaters. Fact sheet on the Anova says it's got a lower end of 77f, which is actually about perfect for tropicals.

I wonder how long an Anova willl last for when you run it 24/7? Heaters were always the dodgy part of my set up and failed the most often. Plus it would solve the water circulation problem.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

NPR Journalizard posted:

I wonder how long an Anova willl last for when you run it 24/7? Heaters were always the dodgy part of my set up and failed the most often. Plus it would solve the water circulation problem.

They don't turn back on automatically after a power outage is the big concern.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Relentless posted:

They don't turn back on automatically after a power outage is the big concern.

I'm pretty sure that I could rig up some arduino system that was powered off the mains system to check to see if the anova was running every x minutes and turn it on if not, but at that stage it's a bit :effort:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Why wouldn't you leave your oven on? Has it ever started your kitchen on fire, even on 550degrees or self clean?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The circulation is probably going to be too forceful for fish

e: the alive kind

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Anne Whateley posted:

The circulation is probably going to be too forceful for fish

e: the alive kind

Bump the wheel and you have dinner.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A huge share of house fires are caused by faulty electrical equipment. If you leave fewer of them running while you are away, the risk is lower. As a compromise, you can do the 24 hour cooks on the weekend where an accidental fire will kill you in your sleep trigger the smoke alarm and alert you.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, with leaving it on while I leave, I always worry that it will cut off and then come back on without me knowing it and I kill everyone with bad food. It's like a 0.00001% worry though.

I don't know if it's just my Anova, but in the last power outage I had when running, it shut off for five minutes, and then when the power turned on it turned back on and went right up to the set temp. That might be the Bluetooth link or something.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Ola posted:

A huge share of house fires are caused by faulty electrical equipment.
No they aren't.

Electrical fires are around 10% of residential structure fires, and about 70% of those are due to problems in wiring or lighting systems. Electrical appliances suddenly bursting into flames because they were left on is loving rounding error.

In most years the majority of all residential structure fires are due to cooking, and the majority of those are due to accidents on the range/stovetop. If you're worried about preventing household fires you should spend way the gently caress more time worrying about using your fry pan than about leaving your s-v machine running.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SubG posted:

No they aren't.

Electrical fires are around 10% of residential structure fires, and about 70% of those are due to problems in wiring or lighting systems. Electrical appliances suddenly bursting into flames because they were left on is loving rounding error.

In most years the majority of all residential structure fires are due to cooking, and the majority of those are due to accidents on the range/stovetop. If you're worried about preventing household fires you should spend way the gently caress more time worrying about using your fry pan than about leaving your s-v machine running.

Where I live, 99% of ranges are electric, so that does skew the stats a little.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

No they aren't.

Here's my anecdotal experience as a property manager. I've seen a few dozen fires over the years. Causes:

•Overloaded outlet with aluminum wiring: 2
•Unextinguished smoking materials put in something that should never be used as an ashtray: 2
•Deep frying on the stove is hard: 3
•Start cooking on the stove then go do something else and forget you're cooking, probably because you're drunk or high: All the rest

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Here's my anecdotal experience as a property manager. I've seen a few dozen fires over the years. Causes:

•Overloaded outlet with aluminum wiring: 2
•Unextinguished smoking materials put in something that should never be used as an ashtray: 2
•Deep frying on the stove is hard: 3
•Start cooking on the stove then go do something else and forget you're cooking, probably because you're drunk or high: All the rest
That's pretty much what nationwide (for America) data says, with a couple caveats: stovetop accidents are most likely to cause a fire overall, but incidents related to smoking materials are most likely to produce a fire that results in injury or death, and wiring faults are most likely to cause a fire that results in structural/property damage.

As a property manager you're probably more likely to learn about a fire the more serious it is, and you probably don't learn about the majority of fires overall because they don't result in property damage.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

SubG posted:

That's pretty much what nationwide (for America) data says, with a couple caveats: stovetop accidents are most likely to cause a fire overall, but incidents related to smoking materials are most likely to produce a fire that results in injury or death, and wiring faults are most likely to cause a fire that results in structural/property damage.

As a property manager you're probably more likely to learn about a fire the more serious it is, and you probably don't learn about the majority of fires overall because they don't result in property damage.

Can confirm. My buddy had to tell his landlord why there were scorch marks on the ceiling above where he started a grease fire while deep frying, but my first landlord never found out about the time I shot a fireball out of the toaster oven, even though it singed my eyebrows.
:science:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anyone here have a Sous Vide Egg Bites a la Starbucks that they really like?

I want to do them in advance for an easy heat and eat breakfast on Sunday (and probably every day thereafter).

I assume you can cook/chill them in their little jars and then just toaster oven or broiler to brown and heat?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Back when I was making them (doctor says cholesterol is too high RIP) I used the recipe from skillet/lifehacker and it was pretty solid. I felt like the texture was always just a hair off from custard though, probably because I was lazy and just threw everything in a blender and let it rip to make it smooth which made it too frothy.

https://skillet.lifehacker.com/these-sous-vide-egg-bites-are-your-new-weekday-breakfas-1824008696

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Hopper posted:

what point is that? that water is somehow flammable? :shuckyes:

Ola posted:

Where I live, 99% of ranges are electric, so that does skew the stats a little.
do they have explosive water where you live also?

LorneReams posted:

Yeah, with leaving it on while I leave, I always worry that it will cut off and then come back on without me knowing it and I kill everyone with bad food. It's like a 0.00001% worry though
UPSes are pretty cheap if you're concerned about brown/blackouts

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Elizabethan Error posted:

do they have explosive water where you live also?

It's a heater element. It only needs of the single-point cheap bits like probe or thermostat to fail, or some part of the software to trigger a weird bug, it would then boil the water away in a couple of hours before it caught fire. It's not very likely of course. I use a rice cooker and a PID controller. On a few occasions, the controller has gotten into some weird state where it'll put the power on in a constant, rhythmic, on/off pattern and the temperature will start to increase above the setting. Always caught it before it got too bad and I also have the rice cooker's own thermostat as a backup, it is meant to switch to keep-warm-mode when the water has boiled away anyway. I don't trust that equipment to leave it alone for long periods of time as a habit, but I'll do it now and then.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Ultimate Mango posted:

Anyone here have a Sous Vide Egg Bites a la Starbucks that they really like?

I want to do them in advance for an easy heat and eat breakfast on Sunday (and probably every day thereafter).

I assume you can cook/chill them in their little jars and then just toaster oven or broiler to brown and heat?

I stir a "pinch" of freshly ground cheese into the jar before putting the lid on to sous-vide. Simple, tasty. I'll usually add thinly sliced green onion or chives too.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Doing my first tri-tip. I've heard times between 2 hours and 7 hours. What's the best time? Was going to cook to the rare side of medium rare and finish on a sizzling grill.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

e: whoops for some reason I thought I was in a BBQ thread.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dy. posted:

Doing my first tri-tip. I've heard times between 2 hours and 7 hours. What's the best time? Was going to cook to the rare side of medium rare and finish on a sizzling grill.

Cook to whatever final doneness you actually want, in case that’s not what you mean. A tri-tip isn’t going to move much in terms of internal temperature in the time it takes you to finish it.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Cook to whatever final doneness you actually want, in case that’s not what you mean. A tri-tip isn’t going to move much in terms of internal temperature in the time it takes you to finish it.
I was more asking how long to keep it in the bath.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Doing a butterflied then filled and rolled up leg of lamb for Sunday. Due to logistics, I plan to prep and bag it tonight and put in the water tomorrow noon.

The "filling" is a mix of toasted mustard seeds, toasted cumin seeds and mint.

Do you reckon that is fine to prep tonight and leave in the fridge for 18 hours or will it affect the taste due to too much "marinading" of the flavours?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hopper posted:

Doing a butterflied then filled and rolled up leg of lamb for Sunday. Due to logistics, I plan to prep and bag it tonight and put in the water tomorrow noon.

The "filling" is a mix of toasted mustard seeds, toasted cumin seeds and mint.

Do you reckon that is fine to prep tonight and leave in the fridge for 18 hours or will it affect the taste due to too much "marinading" of the flavours?

I haven't tried anything similar, but I would optimistically assume it tastes better because of that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I would not worry too much about that combination overpowering leg of lamb.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ola posted:

It's a heater element. It only needs of the single-point cheap bits like probe or thermostat to fail, or some part of the software to trigger a weird bug, it would then boil the water away in a couple of hours before it caught fire.

First, it can't even get hot enough to boil water. Second, assuming that all the water did evaporate, why would it catch fire?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Phanatic posted:

First, it can't even get hot enough to boil water.

As controlled by properly-functioning software that’s true, but I’d be surprised if a runaway 750W heater couldn’t get water to a boil eventually. That’s what many kettles are around here.

(I don’t think it’s a safety concern, but given 750W or heating power, and the full might of Ola’s imagination, I think you get to boiling at some point.)

E: see? 750W is even enough to warm champagne!

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Phanatic posted:

First, it can't even get hot enough to boil water. Second, assuming that all the water did evaporate, why would it catch fire?

Or course it can get hot enough. It has a thermostat that switches off when it reaches the set temp. If that single component fails, 750W will heat 4 gallons of water to boiling in under 2 hours, assuming no losses. 750W constantly on indoors will cause a fire sooner or later. Any electric heater etc at that power can also cause a fire, but usually don't because they too have thermostats. And they are designed to fail in safe ways, after having caused innumerable fires in the past. Hell, a 100W TV can also catch fire, given that there's something wrong with it. For that matter, so can a fridge.

I'm not saying it's risky to do multi-day sous vides while away from home, but you certainly can't say it's physically impossible that something can go wrong. If someone you live with doesn't want to, why not throw them a bone and so some longer ones while in the house first.