Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

R. Guyovich posted:

correction, i signed up to get the emails and get offered a charter subscription. i never gave them credit card info. so i will probably not be a charter member.

Have you tried watching any of the films of the week? They made me re-enter my info the first time I tried to watch something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber put out the list of StudioCanal licenses. Here's the former Criterions they've confirmed they have so far:

Alphaville
Billy Liar
Bob le Flambeur
Le Doulos
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Leon Morin, Priest
The Milky Way
Port of Shadows
Quai des orfevre
Last Year at Marienbad
Touchez pas au grisbi

While returning to Criterion would be nice, it'll be nice to have affordable new editions of these films on Blu-ray. And some of these are new 4K restorations like Kind Hearts and Marienbad.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Went to a used media store and they had the original 1986 first edition Criterion laserdisc of The Magnificent Ambersons for $6. Even had the original postcard, storyboard annotation booklet, a printed note on the edition, and someone's film history homework.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Egbert Souse posted:

Went to a used media store and they had the original 1986 first edition Criterion laserdisc of The Magnificent Ambersons for $6. Even had the original postcard, storyboard annotation booklet, a printed note on the edition, and someone's film history homework.

Uh technically Max Schreck’s character in Nosferatu is named Orlok, not Dracula. Get your poo poo together, MURRAY.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

Uh technically Max Schreck’s character in Nosferatu is named Orlok, not Dracula. Get your poo poo together, MURRAY.

Actually, some prints/videos use the original novel's names, so I assume that's what they were watching. In fact, the proper German version wasn't even available in the US until 1991.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Egbert Souse posted:

Actually, some prints/videos use the original novel's names, so I assume that's what they were watching. In fact, the proper German version wasn't even available in the US until 1991.

I hate to admit that I have been owned.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That handout was 100% made on a word processor or electric typewriter.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I've been trucking through the Zatoichi movies (I've watched the first few before but I got distracted) and I'm amazed that they are so consistently good. Like, you'd naturally think that a series with 26 movies in it would be really uneven but the first 6 or 7 have all been pretty great.

I just no realized that the Criterion set doesn't include the 26th movie for some reason, I'm assuming because of some kind of Never Say Never Again-esque rights thing? Is it worth tracking down to complete the collection? It looks like the US blu-ray is from Tokyo Shock so it's kind of pricey.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

RichterIX posted:

I've been trucking through the Zatoichi movies (I've watched the first few before but I got distracted) and I'm amazed that they are so consistently good. Like, you'd naturally think that a series with 26 movies in it would be really uneven but the first 6 or 7 have all been pretty great.

I just no realized that the Criterion set doesn't include the 26th movie for some reason, I'm assuming because of some kind of Never Say Never Again-esque rights thing? Is it worth tracking down to complete the collection? It looks like the US blu-ray is from Tokyo Shock so it's kind of pricey.

I watched it a couple weeks ago and it’s solid, about on par with the original films. My copy is an ancient dvd I found at a half-price books though, so I can’t vouch for the blu-ray.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's been forever since I looked into it, but I think the 26th movie is the one where someone actually got killed on set with a real sword or something.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah, Shintaro Katsu's son killed a stuntman with a sword by accident.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Zatoichi 26 is def worth picking up, it's perfectly at home with the rest, though I remember there being a weirdly out of place love scene w Zatoichi in a hot spring in there somewhere. Katsu directed, so I guess he couldn't resist.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa56MObP0pY

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Ok, I’ve watched lots of collection videos in my day (because I’m a shameless monster), and I think this guy is the apex of the genre — he’s extremely well-spoken, knows his way around a camera, and seems genuinely passionate about his whole collection. I just watched a *five-minute* explanation of where he stores his Bergman box and he ended with an open invitation for others to share how they shelve the special things in their home. Normally I’d roll my eyes at the “comment below!” gimmick, but I think he genuinely wants to know. A shining beacon of sincerity.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Is Criterion Channel launching at midnight?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Origami Dali posted:

Nope, unless it's midnight PST

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Origami Dali posted:

The Amazon Fire app showed up around midnight and you can install it and browse the collection but it won't let you authenticate your account so you can actually watch anything. It's still early though so I'm guessing it will launch sometime today proper.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

The iOS app is up and you can watch things on it, but it still hasn't launched elsewhere as far as I'm aware. They're still working on the desktop version, it looks like.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 8, 2019

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

And it just went live on desktop.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amidst the excitement over The Criterion Channel, I finally watched the Blu of The Silence of the Lambs last night. I had only seen bits and pieces on TV, but wow! It surprised me by how smart and multi-layered it was, not just for being a studio film. I see why it ended up with Criterion on laserdisc and DVD, as well as why they got it back for Blu-ray - it's a perfect blending of wide appeal and actual film art.

And the 4K remaster looks fantastic.

Still going through extras, but one highlight is that among the deleted scenes is the complete televangelist video featured in the film, which runs about ten minutes long.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Still get unavailable in your region when I try to sign up with a VPN. :( This sucks, cause there's plenty of people being able to sign up with vpn, and then not needing to access the channel itself after.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The library looks... good. But browsing is pretty bad. If it's not in a featured collection, the only way to find it is through search. It's begging for someone to compile some sort of master list by genre.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Managed to sideload the app into my android phone and signed up through the app and paid via google wallet, without a vpn at all. I can even access the channel on desktop and phone without a vpn. Lets see how long this lasts. :v:

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

wa27 posted:

The library looks... good. But browsing is pretty bad. If it's not in a featured collection, the only way to find it is through search. It's begging for someone to compile some sort of master list by genre.
Yeah, at the very least there should be an A-Z directory and the "Directed by" line in each film's description should be a link to their cinematography.

That said, the curated stuff on the landing page is a nice kick in the pants. There are so many films (like In the Mood for Love) that I assumed were great yet never got around to watching.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Roku app is buggy and has some odd design choices. It's like a jankier version of the Filmstruck app.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

I'm glad they decided to keep the trash subtitles from Filmstruck on English speaking films. It's like it never left!

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The interface is fuckin god awful.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Where do I download the app on a Samsung tv I can't find the app anywhere.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

how do they not have more search methods at launch :psyduck:

why does library take me to my watch queue, and not a list of what they have

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Can someone tell me if The Virgin Suicides is watchable on the Criterion Channel?

When I go to the page, the "watch" link just plays Lick The Star, not the movie. Am I looking at a "collection" page and the movie isn't actually on there? The trailer is there...

I hope they make some changes to the site within the trial period because in this state I'm going to have to cancel my year subscription, and I doubt I'll re-sub at the higher rate. Maybe the mobile app is better.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Which would be more worth it, a Roku or a Fire Stick?

Look! A Horse!
Feb 10, 2010

wa27 posted:

Can someone tell me if The Virgin Suicides is watchable on the Criterion Channel?

When I go to the page, the "watch" link just plays Lick The Star, not the movie. Am I looking at a "collection" page and the movie isn't actually on there? The trailer is there...

I hope they make some changes to the site within the trial period because in this state I'm going to have to cancel my year subscription, and I doubt I'll re-sub at the higher rate. Maybe the mobile app is better.

It doesn’t come up at all on my iPad running the app. Still shocked at not being able to sort by director...

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

wa27 posted:

There's some kind of bug where when you add an extra from a movie to your watchlist, it adds the movie itself to your list, even if it's already in your list. So you can have multiple listings for Virgin Suicides in your watchlist, and I'm not sure if they're linked to the extras or what.

Also, another thing that's bugging me about the whole layout is those icons like the above one for Lick the Star. That is how all of the movie icons look, even on a 60 inch tv, so I can barely make out what it is, and can't read the director's name at all.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My first watch was Amarcord since I've been wanting to see more Fellini.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Egbert Souse posted:

My first watch was Amarcord since I've been wanting to see more Fellini.

Do you need someone to bring you a woman?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Origami Dali posted:

There's some kind of bug where when you add an extra from a movie to your watchlist, it adds the movie itself to your list, even if it's already in your list. So you can have multiple listings for Virgin Suicides in your watchlist, and I'm not sure if they're linked to the extras or what.

Also, another thing that's bugging me about the whole layout is those icons like the above one for Lick the Star. That is how all of the movie icons look, even on a 60 inch tv, so I can barely make out what it is, and can't read the director's name at all.

Yeah icons look trash and the interface is weak (but merely average by standards of streaming services) but who cares with this library?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah icons look trash and the interface is weak (but merely average by standards of streaming services) but who cares with this library?
Not to sound too far up my own rear end but a library this good deserves quality a UI/video player. Filmstruck ruined a bunch of brilliant films for me with their intermittent loading issues, terrible scrubbing and ridiculous subtitle decisions.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’ve never used a Roku but I can definitely recommend a Fire TV thing. I have the 4K diamond one and it rules

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Heh
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1115443261894615040

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xmaspast
Aug 18, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

One thing to note with the Criterion Channel is apparently it doesn't work on 1st Gen Fire Sticks. It was working before the official app released but ever since then I've been getting an error message saying it can't play secure video and I'm apparently not the only one. Seems like the old devices can't play anything with the DRM that TCC uses. Shouldn't affect you if you're just going to buy a new Fire Stick but beware of refurbished ones just so you don't end up with one that doesn't work.

Xmaspast fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 9, 2019