Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I honestly think the manga is worse off because the webcomic exists. Everyone knows how the story goes, thus every new thing added feels like filler.

I wonder what manga-only readers think of the pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Murata will not rest until every webcomic panel becomes its own manga chapter

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

skaianDestiny posted:

I honestly think the manga is worse off because the webcomic exists. Everyone knows how the story goes, thus every new thing added feels like filler.

That's not quite it. It's not that we know where the story is going, it's that we have a different version of the story. The manga isn't just the webcomic but with different pacing and more detail, the manga reframes the story and the characters in it to a significant degree.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

skaianDestiny posted:

I wonder what manga-only readers think of the pacing.

It's definitely ponderous but to call it "filler" is a bit...

I don't know if One Punch Man the webcomic is on the same level of Mob Psycho 100 in terms of storytelling, and... I kind of don't care. Murata is in my opinion the single most impressive comics artist alive, and watching him spin his wheels is a bit like eating a ham sandwich from a gourmet chef made out of the finest ingredients. It might just be a ham sandwich, the styrofoam packing peanuts of the food word, but when a master puts it together it justifies itself.

Would I like it better if Murata was working on a story that was more tightly told and a better synthesis of art and writing? Maybe. But I also like it when he blows loving 48 pages on an incredibly detailed kaiju fight scene, too.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

OnimaruXLR posted:

It's definitely ponderous but to call it "filler" is a bit...

I don't know if One Punch Man the webcomic is on the same level of Mob Psycho 100 in terms of storytelling, and... I kind of don't care. Murata is in my opinion the single most impressive comics artist alive, and watching him spin his wheels is a bit like eating a ham sandwich from a gourmet chef made out of the finest ingredients. It might just be a ham sandwich, the styrofoam packing peanuts of the food word, but when a master puts it together it justifies itself.

Would I like it better if Murata was working on a story that was more tightly told and a better synthesis of art and writing? Maybe. But I also like it when he blows loving 48 pages on an incredibly detailed kaiju fight scene, too.

I'm torn bc i kinda feel like this but also the beginning of the Murata version was just as beautiful (maybe less so I guess, I haven't compared and it would make sense that he's better) but with a tightly told story that I cared about.

I started with the manga and shortly after catching up read the entirety of the webcomic in a couple of sittings. I'm very much here for a superbly drawn gag manga with occasional cool bits, but the focus feels like it shifted quite a bit. You're right that "filler" is a little unfair, it is at this point a completely different comic than the source material, but honestly I'm just bored. The comic looks great, sure, but at this point I'm mostly waiting to see a couple big spreads from the rest of the arc and then finally progressing the story that was put on hold.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's so strange that saving this kid is like the whole point of why the heroes are infiltrating monster headquarters but all these recent chapters still just feel like treading water to me. A lot of it is definitely hindsight since I know where the story is going but manga OPM has gotten kinda boring lately and it doesn't feel like everything that's happening really matters. I'm usually super down for getting some time with characters outside the main cast but I haven't been interested lately, the pacing's just been really off.

It's still looks really drat good though.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The filler was getting obnoxious when they did the tournament arc and that was more than a year ago.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Billzasilver posted:

It’s a very weird and conflicting emotion. I keep wondering when we’re going to leave the fireworks factory. I just want to see the four page spread of saitama picking his nose.
aw yeah show me that flipbook of the insertion, probe, contact, and extraction

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Originally Phoenix man was a gag to show how strong child emperor is and to show how bad things were when he was getting his rear end kicked by the water. But now he just looks like a chump, it's a strange direction to go through.
The redraw just isn't funny anymore, it was at first

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

saitama talking to garouONE talking to Murata: making manga with you isn’t fun anymore

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I mean if ONE wanted Murata to shorten the fights, he definitely would tell Murata to do so.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Were those all masks of the subterraneans? And a statue of one in the room they were fighting in?

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

Originally Phoenix man was a gag to show how strong child emperor is and to show how bad things were when he was getting his rear end kicked by the water. But now he just looks like a chump, it's a strange direction to go through.
The redraw just isn't funny anymore, it was at first

This has pretty much been my reaction to the fight as well, and also the Flashy fight. Beautiful art but the story is just moving at a glacial pace with odd emphasis on fights and characters who were 3 panel gags to establish the insane strength of the S class originally.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I am trying to remember, but in the original didn't we have essentially the same joke for the Monster Association leaders? I.e., we see a single panel of each S class defeated to show how these guys are absolutely next level. So maybe they'll do these prelim fights as big epic things to establish that S class are power hitters, only for the MA guys to take them down quickly, then segue into the next part? (more likely we'll also get big battles for those tho)

I do prefer the original's pace and silliness but also like the new pretty art. For this arc I am not worried about it since we have both versions to enjoy anyway, I am going to feel somewhat sad when we get past the ONE stuff and have no original reference for his quick jokes as opposed to just Murata's excess.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

I am trying to remember, but in the original didn't we have essentially the same joke for the Monster Association leaders? I.e., we see a single panel of each S class defeated to show how these guys are absolutely next level. So maybe they'll do these prelim fights as big epic things to establish that S class are power hitters, only for the MA guys to take them down quickly, then segue into the next part? (more likely we'll also get big battles for those tho)

I do prefer the original's pace and silliness but also like the new pretty art. For this arc I am not worried about it since we have both versions to enjoy anyway, I am going to feel somewhat sad when we get past the ONE stuff and have no original reference for his quick jokes as opposed to just Murata's excess.

But they aren't shown as power hitters, this kid looks like a chump

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!
https://twitter.com/one_rakugaki/status/1077028641802838016?s=21

It’s coming back I think?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

its a reigan + tome spinoff I believe

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Seems like it's coming back next year, yeah. He's been very busy since October. (Not busy on original One Punch)

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
After all the grumbling in the anime thread, I went back and read through the Garou arc in a sitting a couple nights ago.

I can't wait to see the Garou fight in the redraw, gently caress

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Death Bot posted:

After all the grumbling in the anime thread, I went back and read through the Garou arc in a sitting a couple nights ago.

I can't wait to see the Garou fight in the redraw, gently caress

I can't wait to have to print out and arrange every page for Serious Table Flip

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

I set the page that's just monster Garou staring after Saitama reveals that it is actually Just a Hobby as my lock screen background, and personally I cannot wait to upgrade it in late 2021

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Him just easily slapping a gassed Garou is a high point for me

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

YOU ARE SUCH A PAIN

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
SURPRISE
http://galaxyheavyblow.web.fc2.com/fc2-imageviewer/?aid=1&iid=111

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

HELL YES

HELL YES

HELL YES

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

:stare:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At long last.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

what the

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

oh poo poo

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
was not expecting an actual update :krad:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Can anyone here read Japanese? :argh:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Parrotine posted:

Can anyone here read Japanese? :argh:

I think the main thing is that a bunch of people decided to join the neoheroes and King decided to ask Silver Fang to train him

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
It's been so long since I've looked at ONE's version. His art is...good?

I mean, it's not Murata (a once-in-a-lifetime talent), but then, who is?

Also glad to see my goodest boy Metal Bat is back.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://imgur.com/a/K4GDfWm

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
How on earth does OPM keep attracting just the worst typesetters

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

tiistai posted:

How on earth does OPM keep attracting just the worst typesetters

Gotta go fast

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

The King has returned!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

:krakentoot:

I liked the self-reference in there with the low quality stuff.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I can't believe Mob murdered ONE and then just left his body to rot into a skeleton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know I'm just repeating myself but I love ONE's art.