Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleve McDichael
Feb 11, 2019

~nice~

Somfin posted:

Theranos.

Thanpaku

e: a lovely snipe. Have some cool dudes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lkhc9YyZ2c

Sleve McDichael has a new favorite as of 10:00 on Apr 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Somehow still less bad than grimes, but also eww.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I read somewhere that she did the not-blinking on purpose and practiced in a mirror :shrug:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

There certainly seems to be a thing with crazy white blonde ladies who open their eyes too wide.

Reminds me of that crazy bakery lady.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

AlbieQuirky posted:

I read somewhere that she did the not-blinking on purpose and practiced in a mirror :shrug:

It’s pretty clear that she developed her own brand of business CEO power play scam weirdness to market herself and it’s not super surprising that scores of rich dipshits tripped over their own dicks to fall for it and give her money for nothing

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Theranos Error. (A)bort, (R)etry, (F)ail?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

AlbieQuirky posted:

She did a lot of things to very carefully craft an image around herself, really. This is why there's been a lot of speculation about her being a narcissist or a sociopath or something of the sort. All that really seemed to matter was that she be seen as a revolutionary visionary of a rich CEO even when the company was literally burning down around her and the technology never actually worked in the first place. I forget all of the details now but I think she's currently absolutely forbidden from starting a company or serving on a company's board for a pretty significant period of time because of how horribly fraudulent Theranos was. It really wouldn't surprise me if she strolled back around and tried to start another company as soon as she's legally allowed to. I mean she might not even wait that long.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Fallout 5 looking weird imo

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Just lol if you think the sort of person who pulls a scam like Theranos will wait to start again. As soon as she thinks no one is watching she'll start another one.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

She’s gonna run for office.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

I don't know who that is but you guys keep mentioning Theranos so I guess she's super hero?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

jobson groeth posted:

Just lol if you think the sort of person who pulls a scam like Theranos will wait to start again. As soon as she thinks no one is watching she'll start another one.

Kinda like the Fyre Fest guy. He started a fake ticket scam while he was awaiting prosecution for the festival.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You can't keep the good ones down.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Munchables posted:

I don't know who that is but you guys keep mentioning Theranos so I guess she's super hero?

If anything, a super villain. Going from memory, she said she invented a machine that could diagnose a huge number of diseases and disorders from one drop of blood. Everyone in the medical field fell all over themselves to buy her machine and give her literally billions of dollars, all without testing to see if it even worked. It didn't. She got hit real hard with fraud charges, and now can't run a company for like 10 years or so. The podcast Sawbones did a real good episode on it last month.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Hirayuki posted:

Spotted in the wild yesterday:

:hmmyes:

haha tight

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer
Lady Theranos and Fyre Fest Guy should team up with Pharma Bro to form a capitalist villain supergroup. Shkrelli has now allegedly been caught running a business from prison using an illegal cell phone.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Realdolls getting uncanny

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Soysaucebeast posted:

If anything, a super villain. Going from memory, she said she invented a machine that could diagnose a huge number of diseases and disorders from one drop of blood. Everyone in the medical field fell all over themselves to buy her machine and give her literally billions of dollars, all without testing to see if it even worked. It didn't. She got hit real hard with fraud charges, and now can't run a company for like 10 years or so. The podcast Sawbones did a real good episode on it last month.

Blood tests mostly want arterial blood because it's where a lot of the strongest markers show up. I'm not a medical person at all so I can't speak to the details but she claimed to have invented a better way to do blood tests using capillary blood. That sounds great as it just takes a prick of the finger instead of a needle in the arm and would take a few drops rather than an entire vial. Part of the reason investors barfed money all over her was because that would be an absolutely revolutionary advancement that loving everybody would want.

There was a ton of smoke and mirrors going on; they were doing poo poo like taking the pin prick but then drawing arterial blood anyway and paying to have a regular blood test done then reporting the results. Other times they basically just made poo poo up. It goes beyond fraud and into the territory of actual medical harm. Why she isn't in jail is a complete mystery to me. They were burning money like mad to hide the fact that they never even had a working piece of technology in the first place.

The other side of it was the cult of personality she built up around herself; she got in cahoots with some very important people and was constantly being pushed as a female Steve Jobs. Why anybody would want another Steve Jobs of any type is a mystery to me; dude was a massive dick.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 00:55 on Apr 8, 2019

Opabinia
Dec 21, 2011

Your Burgess Shale buddy!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Theranos stuff

ABC just finished a great 6 episode podcast series on Theranos and Elizabeth Holmes and how much of a cluster-gently caress it was. I really recommend it! Check it out here.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I booted up that doc and first time she spoke I legit jumped

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Blood tests mostly want arterial blood because it's where a lot of the strongest markers show up. I'm not a medical person at all so I can't speak to the details but she claimed to have invented a better way to do blood tests using capillary blood. That sounds great as it just takes a prick of the finger instead of a needle in the arm and would take a few drops rather than an entire vial. Part of the reason investors barfed money all over her was because that would be an absolutely revolutionary advancement that loving everybody would want.

There was a ton of smoke and mirrors going on; they were doing poo poo like taking the pin prick but then drawing arterial blood anyway and paying to have a regular blood test done then reporting the results. Other times they basically just made poo poo up. It goes beyond fraud and into the territory of actual medical harm. Why she isn't in jail is a complete mystery to me. They were burning money like mad to hide the fact that they never even had a working piece of technology in the first place.

The other side of it was the cult of personality she built up around herself; she got in cahoots with some very important people and was constantly being pushed as a female Steve Jobs. Why anybody would want another Steve Jobs of any type is a mystery to me; dude was a massive dick.

You kind of answered your own questions earlier.

Everyone wanted to throw money this revolutionary thing because it would make them richer. It wasn't out of some noble desire to help humanity. The Steve Jobs comparison is because everyone thought that she was a new gravy train and the lack of prison time is because people with money had her back.

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

ExplodingSims posted:

There certainly seems to be a thing with crazy white blonde ladies who open their eyes too wide.

Reminds me of that crazy bakery lady.

Fun theory regarding wide eyes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanpaku

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

jobson groeth posted:

You kind of answered your own questions earlier.

Everyone wanted to throw money this revolutionary thing because it would make them richer. It wasn't out of some noble desire to help humanity. The Steve Jobs comparison is because everyone thought that she was a new gravy train and the lack of prison time is because people with money had her back.

She hasn’t had her criminal trial yet, that’s why she isn’t in prison.

The SEC fined her and restricted her from being part of any publicly offered business for ten years. Should have fined her more and restricted her for life, but they didn’t ask me. Anyway, the SEC can’t put anybody in prison.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

AlbieQuirky posted:

She hasn’t had her criminal trial yet, that’s why she isn’t in prison.

The SEC fined her and restricted her from being part of any publicly offered business for ten years. Should have fined her more and restricted her for life, but they didn’t ask me. Anyway, the SEC can’t put anybody in prison.

Oh, the criminal trial hasn't happened yet? OK, that's nice to hear. She definitely deserves some jail time.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The vast vast majority of blood tests are run on venous blood. The problem is in order for most assays to be accurate they need a certain volume of blood, stored in a certain way in order to be accurate.

She was purporting to invent a machine that would diagnose all your ailments and give comprehensive results quickly and with just a finger prick.

Anybody who does any lab diagnostics will tell you this is a pipe dream for many reasons.

What ended up happening, for the short version, is she tried to make herself a cargo cult Steve Jobs with the weird juice drinks and black turtlenecks. She then had a crazy second in command who made the lab promise impossible things so that results were often inaccurate, or on some occasions purely made up.

They had a contract with CVS or Walgreens in AZ to do direct to consumer lab testing in their walk in clinics but the whole company fell apart right when that was to begin so they voided the contract.

This is a good summary

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

She and her second in command that she was definitely sleeping with also drive one of the prominent scientists in that company to commit suicide

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

If you got enough time to poo poo in a condom and freeze it you got enough time to go to a market and buy a cucumber.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

this one definitely seems fake, it's actually called a Twice Baked Alaska.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Sorry to flex on y'all broke bitches

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what the gently caress is going on with the heel on that shoe

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Old person shoe with extra low impact.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Hell of a diet

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

The Bloop posted:

That's where you store the meat.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Intentionally ugly, modeled after orthopedic shoes for olds, costs $800 or so, ha ha fashion industry joke is on that person.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My shoe is very hydrodynamic! Check out the bulbous bow on that mother..... For walking backwards

Like A muthrfkn supertanker

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

It also appears they don't know how to tie shoelaces

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

The Bloop posted:

My shoe is very hydrodynamic! Check out the bulbous bow on that mother..... For walking backwards

Like A muthrfkn supertanker

Finally, a boat with a chode.

Boade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

The Saddest Rhino posted:

She and her second in command that she was definitely sleeping with also drive one of the prominent scientists in that company to commit suicide

From what I read, the guy already had some depression issues before he started working for them. But I recall there was an altercation where Elizabeth and her boytoy sort of shamed him in front of an entire meeting and it pushed him over the edge.

Lol even her loving professor at Stanford told her that idea would never ever ever work and she plunged ahead anyway. They should make these two shitbirds clean up trash on the side of the road going into San Jose everyday for the rest if their lives.