Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Griffin is a great guest and everyone should try Blank Check, it does not cover the same ground as WHM and is also less of a comedy podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

jojoinnit posted:

Griffin is a great guest and everyone should try Blank Check, it does not cover the same ground as WHM and is also less of a comedy podcast.

Based on the description of how the podcast started (analyzing The Phantom Menace as if there were no other movies ever) was so fascinating I stopped listening to this episode and started with the first episode of Blank Check. I know it turns into something else later, but I'm enjoying how it started for now.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Live Free or Die Hard is one of those movies I can't defend as good or worthwhile at all, but I still love it with all my heart. Armageddon and Miami Connection are on that list too.

GoutPatrol posted:

I had to look up who that gleep glop was.

Me too, and I was stunned by how weirdly melancholy his backstory is.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

jojoinnit posted:

Though if you want a full We Hate Movies-esque experience from Griffin, listen to the special Blank Check episode on Book of Henry.

Henker
May 5, 2009

Thanks to whoever mentioned the Expounded Universe podcast. I grew up during peak EU mania in the 90s, and making fun of it is extremely my poo poo. One Gleep Glossary a month isn't enough for me.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
For those of you who do not have The Nexus, WHM has posted the most infamous clip.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Captain Hotbutt posted:

For those of you who do not have The Nexus, WHM has posted the most infamous clip.

Holy poo poo that almost made me upgrade my Patreon tier

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Captain Hotbutt posted:

The person who wrote that is really the joker of trekkies

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
When they say patron episodes can go a little blue, they were not kidding, from the very first onwards it kinda led to that moment and pulled back.

A tiny bit.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I can't wait to send this to my friends and loved ones.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I was starting to get annoyed at the attempt to turn the Joker thing into a running gag. I wanted them to just shut the gently caress up about the Joker and get back to the episode.

And then Steve got pissed off, and it was the Joker of running gags.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
hosed up of the gang to bully a small child into guest hosting

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
He's a Szyszka-enabler though so I approve

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gyges posted:

I was starting to get annoyed at the attempt to turn the Joker thing into a running gag. I wanted them to just shut the gently caress up about the Joker and get back to the episode.

And then Steve got pissed off, and it was the Joker of running gags.
I loved Steve's flustered "you're about to hear a door slam."

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

END ME SCOOB posted:

When they say patron episodes can go a little blue, they were not kidding, from the very first onwards it kinda led to that moment and pulled back.

A tiny bit.

As an $8 patron I demand more outrageous erotic fanfiction goddammit!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

Though if you want a full We Hate Movies-esque experience from Griffin, listen to the special Blank Check episode on Book of Henry.

This was an excellent recommend, cheers!

“Okay David, enough with the fun bits. We have to go back to being angry!”

Violator
May 15, 2003

jojoinnit posted:

Yep. Really enjoyed this episode and the guys had great chemistry with Griffin. A lot of fun and great episode. I’ve had Blank Check in my podcast app but never got around to listening to it, I’ll definitely have to start based on how much I like Griffin in this episode. I think the guys were really on point and had a lot of great comedy on this episode.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Can someone who does listen to Blank Check name one or two standout episodes for those of us who might want to check it out (besides the aforementioned Book of Henry)?

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I've listened to a couple of episodes of Blank Check and it's a largely forgettable podcast.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Do they do a Blank Check episode on Blank Check? Or, when are we going to get Griffin back to do a Blank Check episode of WHM?

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Hockles posted:

Do they do a Blank Check episode on Blank Check? Or, when are we going to get Griffin back to do a Blank Check episode of WHM?

Yes, it’s episode 100

Cael posted:

Can someone who does listen to Blank Check name one or two standout episodes for those of us who might want to check it out (besides the aforementioned Book of Henry)?

The Matrix movies are really good. Any Verhovan ep is really good. Probably Total Recall first as Andrew and Steve are on it, but that whole mini-series had some really good episodes

There is a decent amount of overlap of movies they have both covered. Maybe start with one of those ones

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

ravenkult posted:

Not a huge fan of guests on this podcast tbh

Yeah decent ep but I wasn’t big on him. He seems like a cool guy and he’s in The Tick and that rules, but he’s not funny. Chelsea loving killed it I thought, have her on more

jojoinnit posted:

Cool I’ll check that out. I like Cabin’s guest spot on Sleazeoids which has our favorite cabin talking about Pumping Iron and Last Action Hero and it’s pretty solid

painynumbs fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 4, 2019

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Cael posted:

The Book of Henry episode is probably the closest they come to a WHM style episode, followed by the Justice League episode and the remaining snippets of the lost BvS episode.

Most of the time they're much more of a We Love Movies podcast than a WHM show. The Matrix episodes were good, as was Total Recall and Robocop. I personally liked The Parent Trap episode and the whole Nancy Meyers miniseries; it's interesting to listen to people be enthusiastic about movies that aren't personally in my wheelhouse, because it helps me see things from a different perspective. It was fascinating to listen to their episode on What Women Want the day after the WHM version came out, because they and their female guest borderline loved that movie.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 4, 2019

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

In addition to the above I recommend Space Jam. Any episode with a Griffin sibling is pretty good because they tend to want to do movies they all watched and either loved or hated while growing up.

The recent one on Mars Attacks! Is also a good starting point I think. Or just go to the beginning where the conceit was that the Phantom Menace was the only (Star Wars?) movie ever made.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Cael posted:

The Speed Racer and Titanic episodes are excellent, everyone is so enthusiastic about those movies and it really shines through in how they talk about them. David also goes to bat hard for the Matrix sequels, it's fun to compare those to the WHM episode on Revolutions.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I like starting at the beginning and I'm excited that it's basically a Star Wars podcast that has some different iterations before we make it to Blank Check

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

painynumbs posted:

Cool I’ll check that out. I like Cabin’s guest spot on Sleazeoids which has our favorite cabin talking about Pumping Iron and Last Action Hero and it’s pretty solid
Thanks for this, never heard of that podcast and really enjoyed the episode! Last Action Hero is my favourite unappreciated movie.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The Gillman posted:

Yes, it’s episode 100

The Matrix movies are really good. Any Verhovan ep is really good. Probably Total Recall first as Andrew and Steve are on it, but that whole mini-series had some really good episodes

There is a decent amount of overlap of movies they have both covered. Maybe start with one of those ones

Their description of Robert Costanzo in the Total Recall ep kills me.

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

Thanks for this, never heard of that podcast and really enjoyed the episode! Last Action Hero is my favourite unappreciated movie.
Yeah no problem! I knew basically nothing about Pumping Iron other than the “I’m cumming all the time” line, but Cabin talking about Arnold being a bitch and a nasty ho to Lou Ferrigno makes me want to watch it

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Listening to this episode was so bizarre, because Jupin is right, this movie is insanely forgettable. I know for a fact that I saw Shrek 2. But listening to them describe the events, I remembered none of it. Like, not even in a, "Oh yeah, I remember that now that they said it" kind of way. In a, "Wait, that happens in this movie?" kind of way. It's a complete blank slate.

In other news:
https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1115673506799325184

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

thrawn527 posted:

Listening to this episode was so bizarre, because Jupin is right, this movie is insanely forgettable. I know for a fact that I saw Shrek 2. But listening to them describe the events, I remembered none of it. Like, not even in a, "Oh yeah, I remember that now that they said it" kind of way. In a, "Wait, that happens in this movie?" kind of way. It's a complete blank slate.

In other news:
https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1115673506799325184

Mongo was the only thing I remembered from it. Also Shrek 2 is the only Shrek movie I've actually seen.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
My only Shrek 2 memory was telling my dad it was funny so he should go see it with me and he sat stonefaced for 90 minutes and the drive home was hauntingly silent.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I remember Shrek pretty well. I’ve seen 2 and 3 and get them mixed up every time it randomly gets put on for background noise. They are mostly interchangeable.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Big Bob Pataki posted:

My only Shrek 2 memory was telling my dad it was funny so he should go see it with me and he sat stonefaced for 90 minutes and the drive home was hauntingly silent.

To be fair you were 30 in this anecdote.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Big Bob Pataki posted:

My dad actually really liked the first Shrek watching it with me and my sister at home, which was weird because he generally doesn't give a poo poo about movies in general. We actually all went to see Shrek 2 in the theater. He commented after that he didn't like that it had so much magic, and wondered if they were playing up the magic aspects because Harry Potter was so popular.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Senior year of high school I had a girlfriend who insisted Shrek was a bonafide Classic. I thought it looked like dogshit, but agreed (begrudgingly) to watch it. 90 minutes of me just sitting stone-faced on a futon. We broke up shortly after.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I hear they are not only rebooting Shrek they are also rebooting Puss in Boots as its own franchise, which I think is for the best that PiB jettisons the dead weight.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Catching up on the podcast, goddamn is Griffin Newman funny

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I still have on an old photobucket a picture of my windows XP wallpaper of Puss and Boots giving those big eyes from 2004

I will not post it here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
I saw 17 Again and looking back on it the quest the main character's quest is weird. Like, why is he trying to get his lovely life back? He could just gently caress off and leave to find somewhere that appreciates him.