Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Symposium kicks rear end and I want y'all to look forward to my radio play of it, the recordings I've gotten from my VAs so far are fantastic.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Just wanted to say thanks to the folks who gave me some advice on where to look for stuff, managed to find all the Gensou Shoujo Taisen games after a lot of trawling through both Osaka and Tokyo!

and some other stuff

I decided to get Mountain of Faith OST cause that was my favourite one, and it was great to find an Unlucky Morpheus album too since I was really into them back when

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
300 yen a piece for the labyrinth of touhou games...

god I'm jealous

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

300 yen a piece for the labyrinth of touhou games...

god I'm jealous

lol yeah we were at the shop and someone brought up 'is touhou labyrinth here? what was the circle name'

'3peso' i said after recollecting it

'3 where the heck is that-- suri-- right next to sanbondo? oh they're right here'

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Mountain of Faith OST? But that's the actual game you bought.

Glad you were able to find it though. It's a little unfortunate the circles themselves aren't making any cash but that's just the nature of the second-hand market. Finding older games and music is more wholesome than using them to fence exclusive Comiket merch at least. And Suruga-ya's established themselves as the place to get doujin stuff used. Mandarake stocks it too but they're better for commercial merch and figures.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

leather fedora posted:

Mountain of Faith OST? But that's the actual game you bought.

Glad you were able to find it though. It's a little unfortunate the circles themselves aren't making any cash but that's just the nature of the second-hand market. Finding older games and music is more wholesome than using them to fence exclusive Comiket merch at least. And Suruga-ya's established themselves as the place to get doujin stuff used. Mandarake stocks it too but they're better for commercial merch and figures.

Oh wait yeah I bought the game, I couldn't remember whether I bought the music with the UM CD

Still!!

And yeah if I had more means to do it like online I'd funnel the money straight to the devs (maybe when the complete box set comes out)

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Merilan posted:

Got some cute Touhou stuff from the Animate in Shibuya today, probably gonna use the Aya case for my bus card!!
It's funny how cute Mokou is in that image for someone that spends 95% of her time dying from lack of nutrition. And literally NEVER baths.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I went ahead and did the first voice acting teaser/character intro blurb thing while I wait for my voice actors to get their recordings done. Onea these a week is the idea.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

TheNamedSavior posted:

It's funny how cute Mokou is in that image for someone that spends 95% of her time dying from lack of nutrition. And literally NEVER baths.

well cute is a superpower right

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

the seihou people made a new seihou game that's a parody of tetris-99.

it's cute and worth a laugh.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

How crazy would a 99-player PoFV be though, for real?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

99 player Touhou where the players are fairies competing to survive the longest against Reimu.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom. and Impossible Spell Card. are now out on Steam

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?

Neato~

Since you already have the cast around, maybe you could dub BomberGrape's comic version of the Symposium as a silly extra?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
I paid $800 on voice acting and I am not spending a single dollar more to dub a(n admittedly funny,) dumbass comic as well

Edit: Actually, rereading it, in hindsight this wasn't particularly funny

mdct fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 3, 2019

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
The Grimoire of Usami seems to be confirmed for April 27th. ZUN just posted the cover, too.

https://twitter.com/korindo/status/1113256164957900802

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

A Sometimes Food posted:

99 player Touhou where the players are fairies competing to survive the longest against Reimu.

this would be fun

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
What does 1cc mean? I'm assuming it's not cubic centimeters.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
1 credit clear, held over back from the days when it meant you were beating a game on one quarter at an arcade.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Did the second onea those. Byakuren this time.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
So I decided to check out touhou via the free Hollow Song of Birds mentioned earlier in the thread. This is my first time actually playing a bullet hell game and man is it hard even on easy. Sometimes the screen gets so chaotic my eyes lose track of where the player character is. Also I have a vague sense that using bombs in the game seems to be a bad thing or something, any general tips on bullet hell games or clarification on the use of bombs in HSoB for a newbie?

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I don't know about Hollow Song of Birds in particular but imo my #1 newbie advice for Touhou is definitely always just bomb if you remotely feel like you're in danger and need to get out of trouble

In these games you typically get 2 bombs per life and if you feel like you should never bomb you'll inevitably waste bombs per life never using them and get more frustrated and can't progress as far

I guess other general tips would be something like:

- Touhou games have a "focus" button that causes your character to slow down and makes their hitbox (the glowing ball on their bodies) visible, this is really useful to thread through dense patterns so use it frequently
- The patterns are really chaotic and intimidating, but you only need to pay close attention to what's immediately around your character unless there's a special gimmick
- Unless the specific pattern punishes it, you're generally expected to be close to the bottom of the screen for maximum time to react to a pattern - some games also have a red indicator of where the boss is at the bottom of the screen which helps encourage this behaviour
- Try to figure out whether a given bullet pattern is random (has a fixed pattern no matter what you do) or is fired towards your position; in the latter case you can do what's called "streaming" which generally involves starting on one side of the screen and inching slowly to the other side to corral the bullets along. Patterns often deploy both and figuring out if there's a homing pattern can help you deal with a given situation

and

- Just pick whatever difficulty is most comfortable for you and never feel the pressure to play on something harder if you don't wanna!!!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CrazySalamander posted:

So I decided to check out touhou via the free Hollow Song of Birds mentioned earlier in the thread. This is my first time actually playing a bullet hell game and man is it hard even on easy. Sometimes the screen gets so chaotic my eyes lose track of where the player character is. Also I have a vague sense that using bombs in the game seems to be a bad thing or something, any general tips on bullet hell games or clarification on the use of bombs in HSoB for a newbie?

1) Don't focus your attention on the bullet patterns, don't try to read the screen as a whole, just focus on your player.
2) Any bullet that is not in danger of hitting you doesn't count.
3) Use bombs.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Replaying LoLK since it's on steam and Clownpiece why are you like this

Kind of feel like Touhou games have gotten more and more insta-kill and memorization oriented. Like the clown will toss fast lasers or the loving moon at you right at the beginning of the card before you can see the pattern, so if you didn't already know it you're just hosed. Tried to gather items from the last card? Sucks to be you, insta lasers.

Maybe I need to replay like PCB or IN to see if I just forgot about these things happening in the older games

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
1) Bomb more. I've never seen you play, but I am 100% sure you are not bombing enough. Bomb more.

Redmark posted:

Replaying LoLK since it's on steam and Clownpiece why are you like this

Kind of feel like Touhou games have gotten more and more insta-kill and memorization oriented. Like the clown will toss fast lasers or the loving moon at you right at the beginning of the card before you can see the pattern, so if you didn't already know it you're just hosed. Tried to gather items from the last card? Sucks to be you, insta lasers.

Maybe I need to replay like PCB or IN to see if I just forgot about these things happening in the older games

LoLK is balanced around Pointdevice mode, so it's built like a photo game where each spellcard is an independent challenge and it doesn't matter if you die immediately because you're expected to try it dozens of times anyway. DDC and HSiFS are not built like that. It's not a "modern Touhou" thing, it's a LoLK thing.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Never bomb. Never shoot. Always graze.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Clarste posted:

1) Bomb more. I've never seen you play, but I am 100% sure you are not bombing enough. Bomb more.

LoLK is balanced around Pointdevice mode, so it's built like a photo game where each spellcard is an independent challenge and it doesn't matter if you die immediately because you're expected to try it dozens of times anyway. DDC and HSiFS are not built like that. It's not a "modern Touhou" thing, it's a LoLK thing.

Right, makes sense.

Just wish Pointdevice would wouldn't reset with less power. Kind of annoying never being at full power after the first try.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Marisa should be able to get to 5.00 power. Hire me zun.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Marisa should be able to get to 5 power but it's still the same as 4 power. She just does a Spinal Tap.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Doesn’t Marisa get 8 power in Subterranean Animism with Alice as a partner? Or am I misremembering how that actually worked

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Getting to 5 power but being identical to 4 power was already a thing in Mountain of Faith anyway.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/ma_sakasama/status/1114822994419785729

Beerko

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i've heard a rumor that they're adding none other than mima, to smash bros

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

voltcatfish posted:

i've heard a rumor that they're adding none other than mima, to smash bros

If Mima got added as an Assist Trophy for Reimu, I think I'd explode.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

nrook posted:

Doesn’t Marisa get 8 power in Subterranean Animism with Alice as a partner? Or am I misremembering how that actually worked

Yes but her bombs were really short and small to make up for being able to spam 8 of them, and also it was a hosed up shot type where focus shot was very spread and unfocus shot was concentrated damage at a specific close distance away from you. She gained up to 8 power in the time it took other shot types to hit 4 though, so it did let you bomb spam a lot more.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Are any of the Steam games good entry points or am I better looking at older releases?
Edit: or PS4 or Switch I suppose.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Are any of the Steam games good entry points or am I better looking at older releases?
Edit: or PS4 or Switch I suppose.

HSiFS (Touhou 16) is the best starting point from the games that have been released by ZUN on Steam.

FDF and FDF2 are fangames that are pseudo-remakes of Touhou 6 and 7, and relatively high polish games following the same formula.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Thanks, just checking.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Marisa teaser. I'm still waiting on Miko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NatureValley/status/463307398745440256