Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:yeah:

also put sad shovel hat samurai in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The giant dumb rear end toilet tank hat was my favorite hat in Nioh. Man I wish this game had hats you could wear.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I remember transforming into the satellite dish hat man in nioh where it absolutely does not preview that you’re going to wear that hat and going oh hell yeah

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Man I miss fashion souls. I know it would probably go against the devs vision for this game but my god it would be hilarious if you had a goofy rear end hat during the serious cutscenes in the game.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

RatHat posted:

How do people even find stuff like this?

EDIT: Seriously what the gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh7u_j-vk1M&t=817s

This confirms this game world has even more loaded into the same grid than DS1. In DS1 you still had the asylum and painted world exist in separate maps. Here even the last zone is part of the overall map, even if no player would ever normally be able to discover this or make use of it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Digirat posted:

yeah, and not counting the ashina castle->dilapidated temple one and the "shinobi escape route" to the bell. I found one in hirata estate just before the end and one in ashina castle on the floor below the dojo.

Oh good cause you almost made me cry a little. I really do not want to go back through almost the entire game combing for walls to hit with my sword.

Here's one that I found: Go to the ashina castle dojo antechamber, and then go to the room with the two samurai sitting on the floor with the hole in the ceiling that you can grapple into. Go to the far end of the room and there's a hanging picture on the wall that functions as a rotating wall. I forget what's in there. You can see some of the goodies through the "floor" of the attic area so it's a nice hinted location.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Grapplejack posted:

I'm back at the final boss in NG+ and I loving hate having to fight genichiro every time.

You're going to enjoy it because on New Game+ you'll probably smoke the gently caress out of him and feel like a total bad-rear end.

Eraflure posted:

Sure, but how many times will this be relevant?
This is meant to be a list for first timers with limited experience to spend and I don't think this skill is worth 2 levels the first time around since the fan prosthetic is almost impossible to miss.

I don't think the fan is ever worth the 3 Spirit Emblems to use unless you're up against aggro'd fatties, then coupled with a Ninjutsu an new player will have spent most of their Spirit Emblems. I think the Vault is bad to get before you get any Ninjutsu because that's what happened on my first playthrough and I had no clue what the point of the skill was I also think it's kinda dumb you can get it before getting any Ninjutsu. I definitely think Vault is more useful than the Fan, and less situational since you can always do it and pop Blood Mist to get the hell out of dodge, the Fan requires set-up and you have a time limit to use it before you have to reactivate it making it kinda awkward.

Overall they're both situational and don't have the most practicality.

sigher fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 9, 2019

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
I really wish there had been more enemies who have armor you can strip off with the spear. :smith:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

dropkickpikachu posted:

I really wish there had been more enemies who have armor you can strip off with the spear. :smith:

this and the infrequency of enemies that you need the axe to deal with led me to barely use those two tools throughout the entire game. I think I only bothered to strip armor off of maybe one enemy, even. I kept forgetting the spear can do that

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Axe is just good in general to put on a lot of Posture damage, but I agree, there's almost no shield enemies in the game and that mechanic isn't really a thing for most of the game. I think there's a total of 5 shield guys in the game. The Axe should be able to cleave rifles and poo poo.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's also the little hat guys. Some of them have real serious hats that they just stick in your drat face.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It would be metal as hell if the axe could break weapons if enemies try to block it and make them switch to a backup/fists

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The axe isn't there for shield guys, the shield guys are there to make sure you found the axe

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

lets hang out posted:

The axe isn't there for shield guys, the shield guys are there to make sure you found the axe

That's what I mean, why weren't there dudes like that for the spear!!!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

dropkickpikachu posted:

I just want to be able to strip my enemies' clothes off in general

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

:thunk:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

dropkickpikachu posted:

That's what I mean, why weren't there dudes like that for the spear!!!

to be fair, immediately after you get the spear you fight a big guy with a bell, and you can use the spear to rip his armor off. I completely forgot to do that, but didn't think the fight was too bad either way :v:

CharlestonJew posted:

then boy do I have a game for you

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I missed out on hirata 2.0 so I cant fully upgrade my health. Lame.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hello mudda hello fadda here i am at estate hirata

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The axe is great for those dudes with the straw hats that go on the defensive and start blocking until you back off. Bounce hits off of them until they start blocking and then BLAM, the axe chops right through their puny weapon and puts them in the deathblow state every time.

edit: Also good for the monks with staves who do the same. Nice fists of iron! I happen to have an axe that's made out of that!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

lets hang out posted:

Guess who did that backwards and had a heck of a time...

All the more satisfying when I had the ax and chopped those bastards in half within 5 seconds.

Also I tried setting their shields on fire and was super bummed that didn't work. Also tried to get the ogre to fall in the fire before finding the arm. It's not a game that encourages creativity.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SHISHKABOB posted:

There's also the little hat guys. Some of them have real serious hats that they just stick in your drat face.

That only builds up their Posture Damage and doesn't break their hat. You can take them on with the sword just fine.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Cowcaster posted:

hello mudda hello fadda here i am at estate hirata

they say game is fun when critics stop complaining

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

s.i.r.e. posted:

That only builds up their Posture Damage and doesn't break their hat. You can take them on with the sword just fine.

No, the ones with cone hats can be instagibbed with the axe just like shield bandits

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The only skills that have felt really necessary are Mikiri Counter and air deflect, so I feel like you can just pick up generally useful passives like the healing skills otherwise. Most of the combat arts seem to just put you into really long dangerous animations for questionable benefits.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I tried several times to break their hats with the axe and nothing happened at all so I just assumed it didn’t work for some reason. After reading the thread I tried again in NG+. I smashed their armored fedoras and gave their jugulars a stern talking-to. I don’t know what gives.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

dyzzy posted:

No, the ones with cone hats can be instagibbed with the axe just like shield bandits

What? Where the hell are they because I only remember the ones with the rounded hats that don't break.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There are like 3 of the ones with the breakable hats in the entire game, most notably the two right near the gate that Gyoubu is guarding that Tengu tells you to deal with. Their hats are much larger and they block all attacks with them.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

s.i.r.e. posted:

What? Where the hell are they because I only remember the ones with the rounded hats that don't break.

The ones the tengu asks you to kill have one among them iirc, also one between the senpou lake and the final area

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Basebf555 posted:

I'm past caring about whether I'll actually complete the game. I probably won't, just as I'd never have completed DSIII without help on some of the more brutal endgame bosses.

It really doesn't matter to me, my fear of buying the game and then getting stonewalled an hour in were unfounded, I've had 25-30 hours of amazing gameplay out of it so if/when I decide to walk away I will walk away happy.

This is a really cool attitude and just made my day

Hentai Jihadist posted:

can someone tell me if i kill gonichumi way of tomboy does the game end immediately or do i get a chance to finish fighting big hot boi first?

e: also is there actually new content in NG+ this time?

plenty of steaming hot moe bois and weirdos to go after that, my homegoon

WaltherFeng posted:

I need to check what my version is because I cant remember the game updating after installing

I was gonna say, I also don't remember an update on PS4, and I check pretty frequently, so I'm getting the feeling like there's an update bug

^burtle posted:

What is this move I see a lot of streamers do where it looks like they're slashing upwards? I don't think it is just a regular R1?

Crouched R1 is an uppercut, an old Rikimaru staple from Tenchu 1 & 2

Eraflure posted:

Effort post regarding skill trees since I've seen a few questions about them. You might find yourself swimming in skill points early on, but the later levels get very expensive and it's worth knowing which skill you should be going for.

Gold = must have
Green = very good skill
Blue = situational, but good
Brown = not bad, but not a priority
Red = either straight up bad or too costly exp wise

I'll try to avoid spoilers like mentions of specific bosses, but I'll tag it as a spoiler just in case.

Shinobi arts

Mid-air combat arts gets very good if you rely heavily on ichimonji or other arts with charge time, as you can charge in mid-air.
Mikiri Counter is extremely useful and I think the only reason why it's not a baseline ability is to let the player ignore it as a challenge. Buy it ASAP and go train with your pal the immortal samurai in the dilapidated temple. The timing is generous, and the effect is very strong. Shinobi eyes is a sizable increase to posture damage.
Whirlwind slash is a cheap combat art unlockable very quickly. It deals chip damage through block, it's reasonably fast and it's fairly effective against groups of enemies, something Wolf struggles with. Not the most damaging or exciting art, but a worthwhile addition to your arsenal.
Shadowrush is a very safe gap closer with unblockable vitality damage. Very strong option for people who don't use a lot of emblems on their prosthetics, but emblem heavy builds might want to go for another art.
Both suppress skills are a fairly marginal improvement, you'll still want to pop a gachin sugar if you're going for a bullshit backstab in the middle of an enemy group.
Run and slide doesn't really do anything.
Vault over is useful if you want to use a ninjutsu in the middle of a fight, but keep in mind divine abduction (and/or living force) also let you backstab an enemy without having to effectively kill it first. Only take that skill if you rely heavily on ninjutsu against tough enemies who can't be spun around with the fans.

Prosthetic arts

Part 1

You could argue all of those are situational since you can beat the game without using prosthetics, but you can't beat the game without using your sword. I'm going to assume you want to make use of them. If not, just ignore most of the tree I guess.
It all depends on which prosthetic you use the most. The shuriken slice is a very fast gapcloser on a very fast and cheap prosthetic, making it fit into any build you want. If you like the axe, grab the axe attack. If you like the umbrella, grab projected force. They all do their job pretty well.
Note that living force is very short lived and best used with a regular, non lazulite vent as the red flames inflict burn. Don't treat it as a free confetti, treat it as a longer and better burn effect. Burning enemies don't regenerate posture for a few seconds, are stunned long enough to wail on them with your flaming sword and also eat a vitality dot effect. Uncharged vent+living weapon R1 will burn most enemies (and you can always apply some oil to the face beforehand against more resistant enemies) and give you a long opening to deal very significant vitality damage. Good opener to get the posture damage going, as posture regenerates slower the lower your HP gets (applies to everyone, including Wolf).
Consider a point in the emblems talent if it gets you another use of your favorite prosthetic. Or just another firecracker. Firecrackers are pretty overpowered.

Part 2

The second part of the tree is mostly underwhelming, with grappling hook being good against several bosses/minibosses, but not much else, and nightjar slash dealing as much damage as a regular R1. I'd rather use the shuriken's Chasing Slice as a much faster gap closer, even considering the emblem cost. Still an option for those who find themselves dodging away from their opponent very often, or maybe if you enjoy running around and plinking away at bosses for 40 minutes. A win is a win!
More healing is fine, but you already get several free healing upgrades (+ lifesteal on deathblows) over the course of the run. I'd rather grab the lifesteal ability from the shinobi tree, or just some more damage/utility. YMMV on this one.

Ashina arts

Ichimonji and double ichi are the combat art most people use, and for good reason. Heals posture, stuns most enemies, the double hit prevents a lot of enemies from counterattacking, mid-air combat arts lets you charge it in midair and creates more openings in a fight... All around a very solid skill and very beginner friendly. Looks boring though. Also less useful when you git gud and start deflecting everything.
Both carps are very marginal increases afaik, but they'll proc so many times during a fight that it doesn't really matter. Good passives.
You can only equip one combat arts, unless you want to micromanage and hard swap arts in the middle of a fight, but ... why. Ashina Cross is worse than other options at everything it does. It's poo poo.

Temple arts

Praying strikes would be great if they dealt a little more posture damage to make up for the lack of vitality damage, but as is, they're mostly useful against mooks and other pushovers you shouldn't have to use combat arts on to begin with. Still a good way to get closer to an enemy without dropping your combo, as praying strikes are very fast and can be seamlessly incorporated into your R1 chains. Also messes with enemies that can easily be interrupted, like Gonichumi.
Exorcism is the exact same as praying strikes, but adds a third, stronger hit you can also charge. This third strike is what makes it a good combat art, as it gives you the posture damage the rest of the combo sorely lacks. Charge it to punish long recoveries, the same way you'd use ichimonji. Exorcism is not the most damaging combat art, but it's one of, if not the most flexible.
Devotion adds 50% duration to your sugar, not much else to say. I personally like to eat one or two ako sugars per boss fight, so it's pretty good value, but that entirely depends on how much sugar you eat.

Senpou kicks are AWESOME. Not only do they look really cool, they also count as a goomba stomp on top of their regular damage, which means they deal a LOT of posture damage if you use them as the enemy goes for a sweeping perilous attack. The windup for the leaping kick also gives you iframes against sweeps (I'm guessing you're treated as airborne during the animation). Think of this combat art as the mikiri counter for sweeps, and once you've rewired your brain to press L1+R1 instead of X, you'll be able to counter anything that isn't a grab.
The landing kick has fairly good tracking, and you can also ignore the windup jump and immediately start the kick if you manually jump and use mid-air combat arts.
You can also knock down certain airborne enemies if you're freakishly good at using this art.

High monk adds a few more kicks and slashes to the senpou art, making it a straight upgrade to a great art. The upgrade is mostly useful if you don't want to roll away from the enemy after landing, and trust me, it's worth the 4 points. The one weakness of this combat art is its last slash, which is slow and can be easily punished, but you can just stop pressing R1 to stop the combo right before that. Amazing tool for posture kills against sweeping enemies.

Both loot skills are fine, adding about as much as the bell, but you already have 2 ways to improve your drops with the balloons and the demon bell. The sen can be nice to have on your first playthrough though.

Mushin arts

Shadowfall is fine, empowered mortal draw is ok if you like the regular one and spiral cloud passage is a joke that costs way too much experience.

HOLY MOLY

You, my friend, are headed for the Great OP In The Sky

enojy posted:

Oh. In that case, the only one you're missing that I can immediately recall is in the large house just before Corrupted Monk in Mibu Village. If you crawl under the floorboards, one of them can rotate upwards into the house. The NPC in here wants water, and it's well worth it to give some to him if you happen to have some water.

Dag, yo. There was a 'spy' prompt at the front door that wouldn't activate, so I found a way to grapple into the broken roof from the river and talked to the crazy man, but nothing came of it and when I went back outside the prompt was gone. I think I broke the quest by going in through the out door.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Well I just beat Isshin the Sword Saint the first time I made it to 4th phase. He loses so much hp from lightning reversal attacks and he's not that different from the 3rd phase otherwise. The optional boss gave me a lot more trouble.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Your Computer posted:

There are like 3 of the ones with the breakable hats in the entire game, most notably the two right near the gate that Gyoubu is guarding that Tengu tells you to deal with. Their hats are much larger and they block all attacks with them.

lol, welp. A lot of stuff in this game barely gets used, really weird. Like the one fat dude with a shield in Senpou that's nowhere else as far as I know.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

s.i.r.e. posted:

lol, welp. A lot of stuff in this game barely gets used, really weird. Like the one fat dude with a shield in Senpou that's nowhere else as far as I know.

He had a cousin at Hirata

Also don't puppeteer these guys, they do no damage with their shields lol

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Your Computer posted:

There's two right after Gyoubu and I found two or three in the Reservoir down near the prologue exit.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Dag, yo. There was a 'spy' prompt at the front door that wouldn't activate, so I found a way to grapple into the broken roof from the river and talked to the crazy man, but nothing came of it and when I went back outside the prompt was gone. I think I broke the quest by going in through the out door.

You didn’t, the eavesdrop doesn’t matter.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

s.i.r.e. posted:

just more ground for DLC to cover :getin:

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah I can't wait for Blue Smelter Ape and the arena with two bulls.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
so earlier I mentioned GA's grab hitbox and how you're safe as long as you run to the left (in other words his right), here's a clip from one of my attempts where I was on his left side instead and... yeah

(video clip)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Moved on to NG6, I felt like a god taking down Owldad and Gonichumi n' Grampa without getting kicked back to an idol.

Even better, I finally tried out Living Force using the Chained Ogre as a test, and HOLY poo poo that was cool! He basically melted. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

There's two right after Gyoubu and I found two or three in the Reservoir down near the prologue exit.

only one of those have a big hat. Together with the two near the castle gate that makes three, like I said :v: