Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
holy moly, what a disaster. No Chromecast support AND I can't watch it on an "external monitor". like drat I want to pay for this service but they are making it hard as gently caress to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

NightConqueror posted:

holy moly, what a disaster. No Chromecast support AND I can't watch it on an "external monitor". like drat I want to pay for this service but they are making it hard as gently caress to use it.

same. I worked around the Chromecast/HDCP fuckery last night by starting a movie in Chrome, letting it load for about two minutes and then Chromecasting my tab. Worked for the two movies I watched last night. HDCP is such horseshit. Also the Android app has built in Chromecast support but I couldn't find anything that would cast from it. Every attempt was giving me "Chromecast is not supported for this video". I can't fathom why someone would want to watch these movies on a screen bigger than a laptop or phone :rolleyes:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, I used an AppleTV 4th gen and everything works fine for me.

Cloks posted:

Do you need someone to bring you a woman?

No and I think I'll stay single.

That scene with the husband and wife fighting is hilarious. "I'll kill myself!" "NO, I'LL KILL MYSELF" *tries to snap his own jaw apart*

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The RokuTV app works, but there's no way to access any extras/special features that aren't showcased on the front page. The only way to watch them through the RokuApp was to add the extras to my list via iOS app or the desktop app and then scroll through My List to watch them.

I e-mailed them about it, and a few other features that would be nice. (I also said nice things.)

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

NightConqueror posted:

holy moly, what a disaster.

A lot of this is very bad but I really want that Criterion email address promised so fingers crossed this first free month sees some serious fixes and UI updates.

At least from the Android app I can actually play video. First time since their first weekly movie I've been able to get past "External Monitor."

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
My first thanks to a Jeopardy clue on it last night will likely be Rashomon due to it having piqued my family's curiosity. I've seen it but haven't gone though the extras so that'll be interesting.

Hopefully they won't mind the subtitles

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One of the subtler Simpsons jokes was Homer not remembering that he liked Rashomon.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Detective No. 27 posted:

One of the subtler Simpsons jokes was Homer not remembering that he liked Rashomon.

That’s not how I remember it...

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

The RokuTV app works, but there's no way to access any extras/special features that aren't showcased on the front page. The only way to watch them through the RokuApp was to add the extras to my list via iOS app or the desktop app and then scroll through My List to watch them.

I e-mailed them about it, and a few other features that would be nice. (I also said nice things.)

I wondered if I was missing something on the extras

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

NightConqueror posted:

i got around the external monitor by starting a video in Edge, and then connecting the other monitor. finally a use for Edge

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It was leaked on Facebook that Janus Films is re-releasing Paris is Burning in June, so that'll likely get a Criterion edition.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Everything is working great for me using a Fire Stick, in Canada no less (which makes this a minor miracle).

The layout isn't ideal, but fans of the Criterion Collection are never going to be happy with a layout because half the fun of being an obsessive nerd over something like the Criterion Collection has been worrying that the kerning of the spine number on your reprint of some film isn't catastrophically destroying the aesthetics of your movie shelf or whatever.

It's fine and it exists and I have a huge catalogue of amazing films available to me now. I'm happy.

A PC Game
May 7, 2007
Is there any way to just see a list of all the movies on the service? Some stuff that I know has been released as part of the Criterion Collection is unavailable when you search.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

A PC Game posted:

Is there any way to just see a list of all the movies on the service? Some stuff that I know has been released as part of the Criterion Collection is unavailable when you search.

Somebody made a website listing everything. It's saying a couple hundred more now than when I first looked so maybe still being updated

https://tcclibrary.com/

sciencehuh
Apr 9, 2019

FancyMike posted:

Somebody made a website listing everything. It's saying a couple hundred more now than when I first looked so maybe still being updated

https://tcclibrary.com/

That was me! The number changed because I originally scraped from Canada, not realizing the libraries were different. The new default is the USA library, and you can click the little flag to switch to the Canadian library and back.

If anyone here has any feature requests, or notices any bugs, let me know!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sciencehuh posted:

That was me! The number changed because I originally scraped from Canada, not realizing the libraries were different. The new default is the USA library, and you can click the little flag to switch to the Canadian library and back.

It doesn’t seem to let me sort titles or directors alphabetically.

Good work, though!

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

sciencehuh posted:

Well thank you very much for your work!

sciencehuh
Apr 9, 2019

Franchescanado posted:

This was broken in Chrome initially but it should be fixed now. Are you still seeing it, and if so in what browser?

FancyMike posted:

Well thank you very much for your work!

You've very welcome!

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

Good work, though!

This works for me in Firefox fwiw

efb

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

sciencehuh posted:

Stalker comes up under Russian Federation while all other Tarkovsky flicks show Soviet Union btw

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sciencehuh posted:

This was broken in Chrome initially but it should be fixed now. Are you still seeing it, and if so in what browser?

It was Chrome, but it's working now! Very awesome work.

sciencehuh
Apr 9, 2019

DeimosRising posted:

Stalker comes up under Russian Federation while all other Tarkovsky flicks show Soviet Union btw

Oh god, I know. That weirdness comes straight from Criterion. There's also 320 films with "United States" as their country, and 1 with "Usa". Feels like a lot of their site was put together by data entry interns. Not sure how I'll fix this, but I probably should.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Spent my first evening with the Criterion Channel watching episodes of Split Screen. Where has this show been all my life? It's so silly and stupid but has that perfect 90s indie tone. Loving it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

sciencehuh posted:

Oh god, I know. That weirdness comes straight from Criterion. There's also 320 films with "United States" as their country, and 1 with "Usa". Feels like a lot of their site was put together by data entry interns. Not sure how I'll fix this, but I probably should.

I like the “Taiwan, province of China” vs “Taiwan” :china:

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 9, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Criterion Channel is missing Fishing With John, and I think that needs to be rectified immediately.

sciencehuh
Apr 9, 2019
The movie count went up again because someone noticed something missing, and in fixing that a handful of other movies also appeared. If you find anything on Criterion that's not on my site, let me know!

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

external monitor thing sucks my gently caress

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Besides Scencehuh's website, how can you see a list of what's in on CriternionChannel? I'm showing my father and asking him to view another website for a list just isn't gonna cut it. (Your website is great, btw.)

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

yea ok posted:

external monitor thing sucks my gently caress

It really isn't ideal, but I can get it to work if I use Safari for some reason. All other browsers I've tested just come up with that message.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

sciencehuh posted:

:patriot:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Someone also made a Criterion Channel Letterboxd list.

(I've only seen 78 of the 1400+ flicks)

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I started with the Columbia noir collection because I love me the genre. My Name Is Julia Ross followed by So Dark the Night. Both were enjoyable watches. The first had a good tense feel to it the whole way through and the lead was no nonsense and tough to a better degree than I would have expected of the time it was made. The latter was also good, though I think it lacked enough suspects for the whodunnit angle to properly take off, leaving it a little predictable. I almost expected it to swerve me until the very last minute.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 10, 2019

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Egbert Souse posted:

It was leaked on Facebook that Janus Films is re-releasing Paris is Burning in June, so that'll likely get a Criterion edition.

Someone must be a fan of Pose at Janus. The timing checks out.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

I watched Persona last night - my first time watching a Bergman film.

Folks, it's good.

Also, been really enjoying Columbia noir. Watched The Lineup last night and it was great.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Sometimes I wonder if Persona is maybe not a great place to start with Bergman, because in a lot of ways you can't top it. It's mostly downhill from there.

Bergman's films are obviously very diverse though so that's not completely true I guess. There's certainly nothing like Fanny & Alexander's ridiculously lavish sets in Persona.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Sometimes I wonder if Persona is maybe not a great place to start with Bergman, because in a lot of ways you can't top it. It's mostly downhill from there.

Bergman's films are obviously very diverse though so that's not completely true I guess. There's certainly nothing like Fanny & Alexander's ridiculously lavish sets in Persona.

Persona was my first Bergman, and it threw me for a loop. My 2nd was The Seventh Seal, which would be a pretty great starting place, since it's a lot of fun, funny, and strange. I thought it'd be more like Persona, or maybe something like Lynch's Eraserhead but with chess, and I was very wrong.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

Persona was my first Bergman, and it threw me for a loop. My 2nd was The Seventh Seal, which would be a pretty great starting place, since it's a lot of fun, funny, and strange. I thought it'd be more like Persona, or maybe something like Lynch's Eraserhead but with chess, and I was very wrong.

I think I'm going to watch The Seventh Seal tonight. Is there a consensus on whether first timers should watch the theatrical cut or miniseries version of Fanny and Alexander? Apologies, I'm sure this question has been asked a billion times.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Thom and the Heads posted:

I think I'm going to watch The Seventh Seal tonight. Is there a consensus on whether first timers should watch the theatrical cut or miniseries version of Fanny and Alexander? Apologies, I'm sure this question has been asked a billion times.

The miniseries version is superior, full stop. Just watch that when you get around to F&A.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thom and the Heads posted:

I think I'm going to watch The Seventh Seal tonight.

Just keep in mind that it's a dark comedy. I would have liked to have known that going in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

Just keep in mind that it's a dark comedy. I would have liked to have known that going in.

That would have helped me too. I wouldn't have waited so long because I always feel like I need to be in the right mood for more somber stuff.