Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm rewatching Dawn of the Dead 2004, one of my favorites, on HBO. Is it just me or does this movie have a god tier opening credits sequence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTYNwwPQH4k

:eyepop:

Tossup between this and Zombieland for best opening credits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Holy poo poo. I did not know that.

Has anything Hill done really stood out or got converted to the screen? I know there's an AMC thing coming out and I own 1 or two ebooks of his I picked up cheap, but never got around to reading. All I've actually read of his was Locke & Key.

Locke & Key and 20th Century Ghosts are the only thing non-critics like. The Fireman got a lot of publicity, but no one I know that read it actually liked it. Horns was made into a movie with Daniel Radcliffe, and it's pretty polarizing, but people that like it really like it.

I'm pretty sure all his AMC deals fell through, unless he's doing something new.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

s.i.r.e. posted:

The movie owns like a motherfucker, all around.
It's crazy to me that Zack Snyder's first movie was so creative and borderline experimental at times and then he goes on to make a bunch of movies that are less so. I mean I guess Sucker Punch was creative and experimental but it wasn't any fun to watch like this is.

I wish he'd gone on to do more like this and not loving Batman v Superman :cripes:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

Locke & Key and 20th Century Ghosts are the only thing non-critics like. The Fireman got a lot of publicity, but no one I know that read it actually liked it. Horns was made into a movie with Daniel Radcliffe, and it's pretty polarizing, but people that like it really like it.

I'm pretty sure all his AMC deals fell through, unless he's doing something new.

I saw some trailer recently for something that looked like a license plate number.

checking...

NOS4A2. Apparently set to premiere in June on AMC.

Ohhhhh... I get it. Its a soft a.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's crazy to me that Zack Snyder's first movie was so creative and borderline experimental at times and then he goes on to make a bunch of movies that are less so. I mean I guess Sucker Punch was creative and experimental but it wasn't any fun to watch like this is.

I wish he'd gone on to do more like this and not loving Batman v Superman :cripes:

I always forget that it's the same director, I guess he had the drive for that one really good idea and just coasted the rest.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I saw some trailer recently for something that looked like a license plate number.

checking...

NOS4A2. Apparently set to premiere in June on AMC.

Ohhhhh... I get it. Its a soft a.

Oh, huh. Guess that adaptation finally got off the ground. I've heard that it's good but over-long by a few hundred pages. I never got around to it, but it's on my shelf.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Drunkboxer posted:

I’ve seen every Paranormal Activity movie but I couldn’t tell you anything about the lore off the top of my head now other than that witches get involved at some point.

The plot is fairly unimportant, but the gist is that a coven of witches in the 1980s are using time-travel magick to perform rituals on their future relatives, loving them over in exchange for immediate wealth.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And James Gunn got all the pieces for his first film lined up there. And then we got SLiTHER 2 years later.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
N0S4A2 is fantastic and Hills best work

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CelticPredator posted:

And James Gunn got all the pieces for his first film lined up there. And then we got SLiTHER 2 years later.

My heart skipped a beat because I read this as Slither 2, and though "holy poo poo he made a sequel I never knew about!?"

Such a dumb loving move by Disney to get rid of Gunn, but maybe we will get a Slither 2 now. lol

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

My heart skipped a beat because I read this as Slither 2, and though "holy poo poo he made a sequel I never knew about!?"

Such a dumb loving move by Disney to get rid of Gunn, but maybe we will get a Slither 2 now. lol

Disney signed Gunn back like a month ago.

Also, he talks about the plot of Slither 2 in the commentary of Slither. It would have been insane.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gunn’s back now doing GOTG 3

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh gently caress he talks about it in the shout factory one? I haven’t heard it yet.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Huh, I own that DVD. I never listen to commentary tracks but maybe I'll toss that one in while I'm playing a game or something.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Oh gently caress he talks about it in the shout factory one? I haven’t heard it yet.

No, in the original DVD release commentary.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Really? Huh. I guess it’s been over a decade since I heard it. Must’ve just forgot it.

I actually made a stop motion SLiTHER sequel when I was a kid. Got the Mal figure from serenity just for that reason lol. I wish I could find it but it is long gone

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Really? Huh. I guess it’s been over a decade since I heard it. Must’ve just forgot it.

I actually made a stop motion SLiTHER sequel when I was a kid. Got the Mal figure from serenity just for that reason lol. I wish I could find it but it is long gone

Some things I remember to refresh your memory:

The film would pick up with the cat that was infected at the end of the first film becoming a giant mutated cat like the Grant monster. "A giant infected pussy" in Gunn's words.

The film would have opened with Fillion's Bill Pardy having sex with a blonde, only for it to be revealed it wasn't Banks's character Starla, but in fact Tania Saulnier's character Kylie, cuz Gunn thought it'd be a funny way to freak out the fans and create more conflict between the characters

I think the idea was to set it in a big city this time, maybe Vegas.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

OldTennisCourt posted:

It still pisses me off that V/H/S is dead after Viral. So many other series survived a lovely entry and V/H/S had such promise. The first movie kicked rear end and the second was even better.

Also Viral has probably the second best anthology linking segment of all time second only to Tales from the Hood.

Eh, I'm glad they're letting it lie. I will work on my cut of the best segments.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CelticPredator posted:

Gunn’s back now doing GOTG 3

Holy gently caress yes.

Still want that Slither 2 though.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Anybody in this thread who ever made a horror art/short/whatever needs to dig them up and post.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

The film would have opened with Fillion's Bill Pardy having sex with a blonde, only for it to be revealed it wasn't Banks's character Starla, but in fact Tania Saulnier's character Kylie, cuz Gunn thought it'd be a funny way to freak out the fans and create more conflict between the characters

Oh right... I guess that was his "edgelord" phase...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Origami Dali posted:

Anybody in this thread who ever made a horror art/short/whatever needs to dig them up and post.

I have several sex tapes that would qualify, but they're feature length. :smuggo:

Also, looks like James Gunn has a Superhero Horror film coming out this year? Yes please.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

Also, looks like James Gunn has a Superhero Horror film coming out this year? Yes please.

Brightburn. It's written by his brothers and he's only a producer, but it seems neat.

STAC Goat posted:

Oh right... I guess that was his "edgelord" phase...

Yeah, even at the time I thought it was kinda lame.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I remember being all set to hate the 2004 Dawn of the Dead because I love the original so much but nope, Snyder's version kicks rear end. I want Modern Family to hurry up and end so Ty Burrell can be "horror movie sleazebag who dies in a hosed-up way" like God intended him to be.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I won't say that Snyder's Dawn is good, but that opener is something else.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I legit think DotD 2004 is better than the original :colbert:

Come on, fight me

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I legit think DotD 2004 is better than the original :colbert:

Come on, fight me

I do too, but mainly because the original tries way too hard with subtext with Romero trying on purpose, to the point it takes away from the film itself. Night was way better and the subtext worked a lot better, partially because it was accidental.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I had no idea that I've been robbed of slither 2

I touched my first boob seeing that movie in theaters

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Eh at least the original DotD was saying something. All Snyder's version said was *guitar riff*.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This part in DotD 2004 when Ty Burrell is sawing through zombie limbs with a chainsaw from inside an aluminum reinforced bus is so loving good, goddamn

It's so gory and perfect

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Romero's has something to say and blah blah blah. Snyder's is an action flick doing an ax solo blah blah blah. I think they're such fundamentally different films with such fundamentally different goals that its barely even worth comparing them. I've seen Snyder's more but that's mostly because its so easy to get your hands on and Romero's is so drat impossible.

Although I'm sure there's someone who will make a passionate argument that Snyder's film has a whooooooooole lot to say.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pomp posted:

I had no idea that I've been robbed of slither 2

I touched my first boob seeing that movie in theaters

it made no money and flopped super hard. I saw it 3 times though lol.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's an action movie with a hosed up grotesque pregnant zombie giving birth in it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

End credits sequence owns too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPHAsYfblkg

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Romero's has something to say and blah blah blah. Snyder's is an action flick doing an ax solo blah blah blah. I think they're such fundamentally different films with such fundamentally different goals that its barely even worth comparing them. I've seen Snyder's more but that's mostly because its so easy to get your hands on and Romero's is so drat impossible.

Although I'm sure there's someone who will make a passionate argument that Snyder's film has a whooooooooole lot to say.

I’m pretty sure there’s an extended cut of Romero’s Dawn on YouTube, FYI.

I’m an unabashed fan of both movies but I’ll never claim Snyder’s version has anything to say other than “argh zombies.”

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

poo poo I want to see whatever story lead to the severed head in the cooler.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh dang, Heather Langenkamp worked on the movie!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Origami Dali posted:

Eh at least the original DotD was saying something. All Snyder's version said was *guitar riff*.

Snyder's version wasn't about consumerism like the original, but more about about how a group of people that don't trust/like each other can work together to make it through some poo poo or screw everyone else over. It's pretty simple but it's effective, and not completely boring.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Dawn of the Dead remake had no reason to be a remake other than name recognition

Like, just change the mall to literally anything else, gently caress it, a hotel, and boom you have your own movie that won't be hurt by the comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

STAC Goat posted:

I'd argue that it says a lot while not actually having a lot to say, still loved it though. Definitely going to double feature it before Army of the Dead as I'm sure they'll add it to Netflix also around the time Army of the Dead is out.

Edit: I'm a dumbass and misread your post.

Speaking of which, I loved his Dawn of the Dead but I forgot that there's two versions of it or even which one I saw. Looking at them now it seems the unrated director's cut whatever one is almost ten minutes longer which probably goes beyond "each gore shot is slightly longer" territory. Do folks have a preference?