Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
If you like horror then I HIGHLY recommend Savageland on Prime. It's found footage BUT it's done in the much easier to digest documentary style rather than shaky cam.

It also has one of the coolest and most unique methods of presenting it's scares I've seen in a long while and takes a normally style idea and makes it legitimately one of the most chilling and creepy films I've seen in years.

Go into it totally blind because the slow discovery of what it's about is one of it's biggest delights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Found footage horror is my biggest guilty pleasure so I’ll be checking that out ASAP.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Found footage horror is my biggest guilty pleasure so I’ll be checking that out ASAP.

Be sure to get back and tell us what you thought, I might be one of the movie's biggest defenders so I'd love to hear thoughts.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Can you watch Larry Sanders on HBO streaming? Because everyone should watch Larry Sanders.

e: VVV and Barry too

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 9, 2019

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

broken boy soldier posted:

Y’all have long been a go-to for great streaming recommendations, and I’m hopeful you can help me out:

I’ve watched quite a bit of what I’ve read/heard are the top HBO shows. What am I missing that I shouldn’t (likely have only a couple months of HBO streaming use)?

I just finished catching up with Veep. Have seen The Wire, Game of Thrones, Deadwood, Band of Brothers, Room 104, Season 1 of True Detective, and most of The Newsroom (don’t judge, I’m a journalist so I have a soft spot for anything about journalism regardless of how good or bad it actually is).

Thanks!

Watch Barry.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Y’all have long been a go-to for great streaming recommendations, and I’m hopeful you can help me out:

I’ve watched quite a bit of what I’ve read/heard are the top HBO shows. What am I missing that I shouldn’t (likely have only a couple months of HBO streaming use)?

I just finished catching up with Veep. Have seen The Wire, Game of Thrones, Deadwood, Band of Brothers, Room 104, Season 1 of True Detective, and most of The Newsroom (don’t judge, I’m a journalist so I have a soft spot for anything about journalism regardless of how good or bad it actually is).

Thanks!

Two of my favorites are Carnivale, a very weird, lightly gnostic show about the conflict of good and evil in the Depression-era Dust Bowl. it got canceled after two seasons but they manage to wrap it up as well as can be expected, definitely worth a watch.

and their miniseries adaptation of the multi part play Angels in America, which has an absolutely incredible cast to go with the writing.

Both are fairly short commitments compared to a lot of the HBO stuff and really deserve some love.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Also HBO's awesome documentaries

Something Wrong With Aunt Diane
Thought Crimes
Beware the Slenderman
Leaving Neverland
The Inventor
Going Clear
The Chesire Murders
Andre the Giant
My Flesh and Blood
When the Levees Broke
Paradise Lost Parts 1-3

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I liked HBO's Generation Kill. I think it's on prime.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Mover posted:

Two of my favorites are Carnivale, a very weird, lightly gnostic show about the conflict of good and evil in the Depression-era Dust Bowl. it got canceled after two seasons but they manage to wrap it up as well as can be expected, definitely worth a watch.

Carnivale is as good as anything HBO has ever put out. That and Deadwood are easily my favorite HBO shows even though I think The Wire is a more important show.

broken boy soldier
May 19, 2006

Mover posted:

and their miniseries adaptation of the multi part play Angels in America, which has an absolutely incredible cast to go with the writing.

Both are fairly short commitments compared to a lot of the HBO stuff and really deserve some love.

Appreciate everyone’s recommendations a ton! Think I’m going to start off with Carnivale and work my way through these from there.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Carnivale is loving incredible

A dog and his man
Jan 24, 2019

by R. Guyovich
I agree with the One Planet comments.

It’s beautifully shot. But yeah, grim on climate change.

And, as someone earlier asked, so far no animal has been savagely killed. (Ok maybe one penguin)

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Thanks!

Six Feet Under, Sharp Objects, Barry, and just the first season of Westworld

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

OldTennisCourt posted:

If you like horror then I HIGHLY recommend Savageland on Prime. It's found footage BUT it's done in the much easier to digest documentary style rather than shaky cam.

It also has one of the coolest and most unique methods of presenting it's scares I've seen in a long while and takes a normally style idea and makes it legitimately one of the most chilling and creepy films I've seen in years.

Go into it totally blind because the slow discovery of what it's about is one of it's biggest delights.

I was entertained, and I would generically recommend it to someone who likes the documentary style. But you like it way more than I do

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

A dog and his man posted:

I agree with the One Planet comments.

It’s beautifully shot. But yeah, grim on climate change.

And, as someone earlier asked, so far no animal has been savagely killed. (Ok maybe one penguin)

There’s a sequence in episode 2 or 3 of a bunch of walruses falling off cliffs to their deaths that’s a bummer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bred posted:

I liked HBO's Generation Kill. I think it's on prime.

Seconded. Generation Kill is insanely good.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Generation Kill is incredible as is Show Me a Hero. Pretty much everything David Simon does is amazing. Those miniseries really should be in more of these conversations with stuff like Breaking Bad, Deadwood, and The Wire for best stuff ever produced on TV.

God I wish The Deuce wasn't boomer brain trash.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Deuce is poo poo compared to his other shows but I still love it.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Thanks!

Flight of the Conchords

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There are a number of Malaysian movies on Asian Netflix. Any way I can know if they are available in other regions? I know people who have watched them on UK Netflix but that's it.

I seem to remember a website that tells you what things are available in each region.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Best HBO show ever is The Leftovers

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Best HBO show ever is The Leftovers

The ending to that show had no god-damned right to be as good as it was. What could possibly cap those three seasons? Only one of the best television finales ever, and that's exactly what we got.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

There’s a sequence in episode 2 or 3 of a bunch of walruses falling off cliffs to their deaths that’s a bummer.

I’m on episode 4 and I don’t remember the last show that had me going “What the gently caress?!!!!” As often as Our Planet

The bird doing his courtship dance routines was like :psyduck: :unsmith:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Thanks!

THE LEFTOVERS (this is definitely my top choice, and my favorite HBO show after The Wire, Deadwood, and Game of Thrones)
Westworld (at least Season 1)
True Detective (Seasons 2 and 3)
Barry
Sharp Objects
Carnivale (this is on Amazon Prime)
Rome (this is on Amazon Prime)

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
The Tick season 2 is out! Great so far.

Accident Underwater posted:

Flight of the Conchords

Season 1 is fantastic. I don't think I realized until halfway through how much I loved their style of humor, and it's even better on the second watch.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

Seconded. Generation Kill is insanely good.

Though it should be noted that it might not be best to view it as anything more than fiction loosely based on fact. (Source: my coworker who literally is Doc.)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Though it should be noted that it might not be best to view it as anything more than fiction loosely based on fact. (Source: my coworker who literally is Doc.)

Rudy who was in the series is also Rudy in real life and was part of the crew who helped make it as close as possible. He literally was playing himself. Maybe Doc and Rudy could get into it.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 10, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
For those with the new Criterion Channel service:

TCC Library - a website where you can search & sort available films with links (created by fellow goon sciencehuh!)

Letterboxd list of available films

Criterion Collection thread

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
HBO has The Nun streaming. It was kind of a let down compared to the other movies in this series (Annabelle Creation, The Conjuring, etc). It was borderline awful, but probably worth watching if you like these flicks. It had some cool creepyass moments, but it felt more commercialized? I don't even know what to call it.

HBO is also streaming Annabelle Creation and was a thumbs up. It has a nice slow buildup and then goes from spooky to full on FUUUUUUU till the end.

Netflix has Trailer Park Boys. I don't know why I have never watched this, but it's fantastic. I've heard nothing but great things since it was released, but never had the time to watch it. So god drat funny.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 10, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Be warned, a couple of the most recent seasons of TPB were really bad. Strangely enough there was a great season after a bad one though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

:wtf:

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Amazon prime has first reformed

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I want to check this out but you have to tell me, is it Slenderman? You don't have to tell me what it is just if it's Slenderman or not, because I've had it up to here with Slenderman stuff.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Human Tornada posted:

I want to check this out but you have to tell me, is it Slenderman? You don't have to tell me what it is just if it's Slenderman or not, because I've had it up to here with Slenderman stuff.

It is not Slenderman.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Cool I'll give it a shot.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

twerking on the railroad posted:

Amazon prime has first reformed

it's so good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Can confirm that Savageland is extremely loving good

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Obviously a typo of some kind???

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was a little mixed on Savageland. It wasn't bad. I liked what they were going for but the execution felt a clumsy at times and it sort of dragged. Still worth watching though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

precision posted:

Be warned, a couple of the most recent seasons of TPB were really bad. Strangely enough there was a great season after a bad one though.

was there another one after the Snoop Dogg one that had a ton of rape jokes and turned Don/na from a weirdly decent portrayal of a nonbinary person into an almost comically hateful trans stereotype?

because that one made me go "gently caress this"